Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also unlike State Senates, the party in control of the US legislature can't redraw all the state borders to increase their control by making Lubbock, Abilene, the Oklahoma Panhandle, and upstate New York their own states with two senators each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Catholic Church to Indiana governor Mike Pence, "Eat poo poo, nerd"

quote:

Tobin said in a statement released Tuesday morning that he "prayerfully considered" Pence's request but decided that assisting the refugee couple with two small children was an "essential part" of the Catholic church's identity.
A spokesman for Pence says the governor respectfully disagrees with the decision but wants Indiana residents to be welcoming to the couple and their two young children.

This follows in the wake of a bunch of townships (even conservative ones) passing sweeping LGBT protection ordinances in response to the RFRA uproar awhile back, which Mike and his legislature are currently seeking to invalidate with a new RFRA that rails hard against the Trans community because even Indiana recognizes the Gaystapo has won that battle

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Muscle Tracer posted:

strange indeed that a pacifist or isolationist would not enter the war industry

One would hope that it would be the other way around, that becoming an expert in an area would determine your ideology, rather than letting your ideology determine what you specialize in.

Shame too. It's a field that could use more ideological diversity.

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
For those who aren't taking this seriously...

quote:

Last April, perhaps in a surge of Czech nationalism, Ivana Trump told her lawyer Michael Kennedy that from time to time her husband reads a book of Hitler’s collected speeches, My New Order, which he keeps in a cabinet by his bed. Kennedy now guards a copy of My New Order in a closet at his office, as if it were a grenade. Hitler’s speeches, from his earliest days up through the Phony War of 1939, reveal his extraordinary ability as a master propagandist.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

https://vimeo.com/148239672

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

The Iron Rose posted:

One would hope that it would be the other way around, that becoming an expert in an area would determine your ideology, rather than letting your ideology determine what you specialize in.

Why would one hope that?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

"But referencing him to Nazism is so crude."

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lessail posted:

Why would one hope that?

Because it would mean that someone decides their political beliefs based upon evidence? Rather than deciding what evidence they want to look at selectively based upon... I suppose you could call them a priori beliefs?

I'd rather people base their ideologies based upon evidence rather than look at evidence from an already biased position, or ignore that evidence entirely to preserve the integrity of their politics.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Because it would mean that someone decides their political beliefs based upon evidence? Rather than deciding what evidence they want to look at selectively based upon... I suppose you could call them a priori beliefs?

I'd rather people base their ideologies based upon evidence rather than look at evidence from an already biased position, or ignore that evidence entirely to preserve the integrity of their politics.

I don't think it should be tied to an area of expertise then since one could become insulated in that culture

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lessail posted:

I don't think it should be tied to an area of expertise then since one could become insulated in that culture

Perhaps area of expertise is the wrong word, I'm expressing my point badly and for that I apologize.

The point I was trying to get across was that I think that more people, from all political walks of life, should feel free to specialize or at least look into fields, into avenues of political thought and analysis that you normally wouldn't expect them to. So I think it's a shame that pacifists/isolationists tend to avoid specializing in international/national security, because that field will absolutely challenge those beliefs and I think to do so would be more... I almost want to say intellectually rigorous. Or, for example, I also think it's a shame that many libertarians (or communists for that matter) don't seriously study economics. I feel sad for the creationists who don't study biology, for the atheists who don't study religion, because it means their politics are untested and necessarily without some level of nuance.

I think more people should look into subjects that will challenge their political beliefs. So more pacifists/isolationists should focus on security issues, gain a level of understanding, and then reassess their beliefs after. Just as those with a more hawkish or interventionist bent should look into refugee issues, or human rights law, and see how those fields challenge their beliefs.

I find the idea that pacifists and isolationists should avoid entering the security/intelligence/"war industry" a sad one, since I imagine it would be edifying to them at the very minimum, and will almost certainly result in a more nuanced set of political beliefs.

What I'm trying to get at is that more people should test their political beliefs by examining and researching poo poo that will likely support a differing political outlook. Failing to do so is hardly a great sin, there's a ton of areas of law and politics I've not studied and plenty of those would challenge my beliefs. But testing your own politics is only ever a good thing, and can only lead to a more informed electorate and a more nuanced understanding of politics. And that is, I think, a good thing.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 9, 2015

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

What I'm trying to get at is that more people should test their political beliefs by examining and researching poo poo that will likely support a differing political outlook. Failing to do so is hardly a great sin, there's a ton of areas of law and politics I've not studied and plenty of those would challenge my beliefs. But testing your own politics is only ever a good thing, and can only lead to a more informed electorate and a more nuanced understanding of politics. And that is, I think, a good thing.

I do agree that it is good for people to have more fully formed politics, so no harm done. :)

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

quote:

(Washington, DC) – The United States government and tobacco companies are failing to protect teenage children from hazardous work in tobacco farming, Human Rights Watch said today, in a report and video.

The 72-page report, “Teens of the Tobacco Fields: Child Labor in United States Tobacco Farming,” documents the harm caused to 16- and 17-year-olds who work long hours as hired laborers on US tobacco farms, exposed to nicotine, toxic pesticides, and extreme heat. Nearly all of the teenagers interviewed suffered symptoms consistent with acute nicotine poisoning – nausea, vomiting, headaches, or dizziness – while working on tobacco farms.

“Teenage children too young to legally buy a pack of cigarettes are getting exposed to nicotine while they work on US tobacco farms,” said Margaret Wurth, children’s rights researcher at Human Rights Watch and co-author of the report. “The US government and tobacco companies should protect everyone under 18 from hazardous work in tobacco farming.”

Tobacco farming in the US puts children at risk of nicotine poisoning, pesticide exposure from toxic chemicals applied to the crop, heat illness, and chronic pain and injuries from performing repetitive motions.

Some US-based tobacco companies and growers groups took action in 2014 to ban employing children under 16 to work in tobacco farming, but excluded older teens from their policies. Teenagers are still vulnerable to the harmful effects of the work, Human Rights Watch said.

Human Rights Watch conducted field research for the report in July 2015, in eastern North Carolina, and interviewed 26 children ages 16 and 17, as well as parents, experts in farmworker and adolescent health, and tobacco growers. Beyond routine exposure to nicotine, many of those interviewed reported working in or near fields that were being sprayed with pesticides, or re-entering fields that had been recently sprayed, and feeling suddenly ill with headaches, nausea, difficulty breathing, burning eyes, and itching noses and throats.

Almost all the teenagers who spoke to Human Rights Watch worked 11 or 12 hours per day in extreme heat, without suitable protective equipment, inconsistent access to toilets, and no place to wash their hands. Very few had been given any safety training or health education about the hazards of tobacco farming.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2015/12/08/us-tobacco-farms-no-place-teens

The whole story is bad but I'm personally :stonk: at not banning straight up child labor until 2014.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
A lot of people have fond memories of their first lovely job down at the local movie theater or what have you when they were 16. "Builds character" and stuff like that. You might be able to get people behind banning industrial work under 18, but there's no way in hell you'll ever get people behind banning farm labor-- too many rural teenagers grow up working on their parents' or a nearby farm. Even before sixteen, too. It's a weird grey area I don't think the law even looks at much.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Quorum posted:

A lot of people have fond memories of their first lovely job down at the local movie theater or what have you when they were 16. "Builds character" and stuff like that. You might be able to get people behind banning industrial work under 18, but there's no way in hell you'll ever get people behind banning farm labor-- too many rural teenagers grow up working on their parents' or a nearby farm. Even before sixteen, too. It's a weird grey area I don't think the law even looks at much.

It's also largely harmless for most crops. Tobacco is specifically terrible but there's no reason for a blanket ban on teenagers helping out with most other things.

Hidden Under a Hat
May 21, 2003

quote:

INSKEEP: Final thing, because you're right. Science changes. Science evolves. Our knowledge evolves. And here's something that Ernest Moniz, the energy secretary, argues is evolving. You've said, "Well, look, it's really expensive to address this issue, and so I don't want to do it; I don't want to put a burden on people."

Moniz pointed out on "All Things Considered" the other day that the cost of renewable and alternative energies has been going down drastically; that technology is constantly advancing. And on a basic level, of course, pollution is inefficiency. If you can be more efficient, it actually saves people money. If you found out that global warming or climate change, whatever you want to call it, was cheaper to address than it seems to now, would you change your view of it?

CRUD: Of course, there will be alternative energies. We will have innovation. And I promise you this, the alternative energy innovations are not going to come from Washington. They're not going to come from the cronyism of this town. They're not going to come from Solyndra. They're not going to come from corporate welfare of Washington picking winners and losers.

I was reading NPR's transcript of Ted Cruz's interview and came across this hilarious and apt typo.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Niton posted:

It's also largely harmless for most crops. Tobacco is specifically terrible but there's no reason for a blanket ban on teenagers helping out with most other things.

Later in the article it lists the regulations enforced by the government

quote:

US laws and regulations offer less protection than most tobacco company policies on children’s work in tobacco farming. Under US labor law, it is legal to hire 12-year-olds to work unlimited hours outside of school on a tobacco farm of any size with parental permission, and there is no minimum age for children to work on small tobacco farms or farms owned and operated by family members.

This isn't even defensible from a 'family farm' viewpoint. Even taking away the fact that they are tobacco farms; using children as young as twelve for an unlimited amount of hours when they should be playing or studying is sickening.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Iron Rose posted:

The point I was trying to get across was that I think that more people, from all political walks of life, should feel free to specialize or at least look into fields, into avenues of political thought and analysis that you normally wouldn't expect them to. So I think it's a shame that pacifists/isolationists tend to avoid specializing in international/national security, because that field will absolutely challenge those beliefs and I think to do so would be more... I almost want to say intellectually rigorous. Or, for example, I also think it's a shame that many libertarians (or communists for that matter) don't seriously study economics. I feel sad for the creationists who don't study biology, for the atheists who don't study religion, because it means their politics are untested and necessarily without some level of nuance.

Uh, a moment ago you weren't talking about "studying" something, you were talking about them making it a career. Why would anyone choose to dedicate their life, or indeed any amount of time, to something that repulses them unless they absolutely had to?

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Add the Pentagon to the list of Trump's muslim policy detractors

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

One of the more nauseating Daily Show pieces was from last year when they dealt with tobacco farms and kids.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/l0fvyd/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-nicoteens

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Uh, a moment ago you weren't talking about "studying" something, you were talking about them making it a career. Why would anyone choose to dedicate their life, or indeed any amount of time, to something that repulses them unless they absolutely had to?

Then I expressed myself badly, but again, the point is that it's stupid to dismiss an entire field of knowledge as repulsive without making any serious effort to engage with it.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

RevKrule posted:

One of the more nauseating Daily Show pieces was from last year when they dealt with tobacco farms and kids.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/l0fvyd/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-nicoteens

To be fair that's due to the nicotine.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lucas Baiano, the Michael Bay of political ads, who begged the Clinton campaign to hire him in 2008, out with a new attack ad on Hillary for America Rising PAC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj8heYJebHY

I've also noticed that the, "This cannot be an American fight" flub from Hillary at the last debate has made it into this and many other spots, as I predicted.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The Iron Rose posted:

Then I expressed myself badly, but again, the point is that it's stupid to dismiss an entire field of knowledge as repulsive without making any serious effort to engage with it.

For instance, until you understand all the ins and outs of burglary or drug distribution, preferably from real-world job experience, it would be wrong to condemn burglars and drug distributors' actions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's gonna be real mad about the Grammys.

e: it's in some stupid MSNBC video, but Jeb just called Trump's proposal "dog whistle politics" so maybe Republicans don't actually know what the term means.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 9, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zoux posted:

e: it's in some stupid MSNBC video, but Jeb just called Trump's proposal "dog whistle politics" so maybe Republicans don't actually know what the term means.

No, they know what it means, it's just that they think Trump's schtick is a dog whistle rather than a people siren.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trump is saying Muslims are dangerous and scary but he knows that people know he's really saying that Muslims are dangerous and scary.

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005
You'll never guess who bought the Singular Edition Wu-Tang Clan album:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-martin-shkreli-wu-tang-clan-album/

I'm just going to keep telling myself this guy is the most dedicated performance artist in history and this is all an act.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

mrfishstick posted:

You'll never guess who bought the Singular Edition Wu-Tang Clan album:

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015-martin-shkreli-wu-tang-clan-album/

I'm just going to keep telling myself this guy is the most dedicated performance artist in history and this is all an act.

Ghostface Pharma

drat I love that guy

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zoux posted:

Trump is saying Muslims are dangerous and scary but he knows that people know he's really saying that Muslims are dangerous and scary.

Maybe Jeb figured out that "keep Muslims out of the US" really means Trump wants to fire up the ovens

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Muscle Tracer posted:

They're weighing whether to include people ineligible to vote as part of the population when determining districting, which would slightly diminish urban voting power. link

It would most significantly diminish voting power in rural areas that have population jumped up by having prisons though. Having 40,000 people locked up in your county's borders can and does lead to districts being drawable with far more rural voters, on the strength of having locked up a bunch of people who can't vote.

It's rather like counting slaves towards redistricting.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Reminder that Jeb wanted to ban non-Christians from the refugee program, which is a stricter religious tests that what Trump is proposing

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoux the dog whistle is "kill all the Muslims everywhere".

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

zoux posted:

It's totally a dog whistle. The secret message is that muslims are dangerous terrorists.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

It's totally a dog whistle. The secret message is that muslims are dangerous terrorists.

He's saying that out loud though.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Trump might be right on Germany. Someone banned all Atoms power plants because

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder that Jeb wanted to ban non-Christians from the refugee program, which is a stricter religious tests that what Trump is proposing

Read a decent article on this by Jamelle Bouie this morning. Trump's proposed ban on all Muslims entering the U.S. is just skating to where the puck was already going. All Trump has been doing so far this cycle is taking established GOP positions and prejudices to their ultimate conclusions, stripping them bare of any nuance and making everyone confront them for what they really are.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

euphronius posted:

Zoux the dog whistle is "kill all the Muslims everywhere".

And the subtle dog whistle is "I'm not saying 'kill all Muslims', but if someone did, I wouldn't disagree"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah the people in the media that are shocked at what he is saying are either pretending that the right wing messaging hasn't been saying this stuff with the armor of plausible deniability or incredibly stupid. Trump's statements are the obvious next step when you treat one side of the debate that has "polite" hate speech as one side that is just as reasonable as the other in order to avoid claims of being partisan.

• Locked thread