Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Oh! Here's a question:

Did we ever get passenger missions besides "shipping container full of slaves"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

deadly_pudding posted:

Oh! Here's a question:

Proper passenger missions aren't implemented yet.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Oh! Here's a question:

FDev supposedly is working on adding passenger missions in a future update. The Orca, for example, is a ship seemingly designed for touring NPC Space Trumps around the galaxy.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
http://gfycat.com/QuaintFlickeringAlleycat

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

Proper passenger missions aren't implemented yet.

Shipping container full of slaves is the proper way.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Got my Corvette build sorted out (empty slot is for the vehicle hanger which isn't on the site yet.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_c...MxTQ==?bn=Vette

Now if only we knew what the rank requirement was going to be.

Speaking of corvette builds! If I was going to do all shooty all the time, is something like this more or less optimal? I'm pretty bad at the intricate details of ship loadouts.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/federal_c...=Corvette%3F%3F

Figure I'll roll with something like that, with the two empty slots for vehicle hangers/scanners, and swap in/out cargo holds for HRPs as needed.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Here's a fun question that I forgot to bring up back when it was relevant: Has anyone using a controller successfully gotten into classified camera mode when in a dock or in supercruise? I've tried binding it to a keyboard command but still no luck with it in anything but normal flight-- I have to "take off" and sit on the landing pad to get ship screenshots for Inara.

Old as poo poo but I finally figured out what was going on-- for "Contextual Controller" bindings, if the primary binding for a parent binding doesn't work, you can't activate any of the contextual mappings either. So if your "B" is boost and "B + Left" is camera mode, you can't use camera mode while docked or in supercruise. :downs:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hah! I tried this on a ridge that my SRV didn't have the traction to reach. The canister was in a depression so I only managed to scratch my paint though :(

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Man, having to dock your SRV to transfer cargo is annoying, I wish they'd fix that.

:frontear:

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Man, having to dock your SRV to transfer cargo is annoying, I wish they'd fix that.

:eng101: Scoop the cargo off the ground with your ship once it is loose.

Still need to see if collector limpets work too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

At least this won't be a problem for me. There probably isn't a lot of stuff I want to transport around when exploring 1000+ light years away from the bubble. Most likely it'll be like my last mega-trip, where I brought back exactly one item worth about 100k and that's it. :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Strategic Tea posted:

Hah! I tried this on a ridge that my SRV didn't have the traction to reach. The canister was in a depression so I only managed to scratch my paint though :(

Have yet to try cargo limpets, but I didn't bring any and I'm out at Barnard's Loop atm. You should give it a shot and see if they work :v:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Shipping container full of slaves is the proper way.

Oh I mean listening to complaining passengers that want the world, but then you make them an offering into the sun :getin:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
For you non-beta havers this is a pretty common thing in Horizons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRapQvGMWEQ

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

KakerMix posted:

For you non-beta havers this is a pretty common thing in Horizons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRapQvGMWEQ

Ugggh I have a hardon just thinking about how this will be with atmospheric worlds and how many goons we can pack into the Grand Canyon.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I suddenly, oddly regret not getting the Braben bobblehead. :(

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Groggy nard posted:

Ugggh I have a hardon just thinking about how this will be with atmospheric worlds and how many goons we can pack into the Grand Canyon.

once its out on public release I will have to get a SRV and go see if i can land on Jita 4 Moon 4 (if it exists) and pootle around on there.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I suddenly, oddly regret not getting the Braben bobblehead. :(

You should. Get all bobble heads.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TheresaJayne posted:

once its out on public release I will have to get a SRV and go see if i can land on Jita 4 Moon 4 (if it exists) and pootle around on there.

Uh, I don't want to disappoint you, but you're aware Jita is in another galaxy in another game, yes? Just in case, you also can't fly the Death Star nor the Enterprise in Elite.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Newbie's First Robigo Run:

-Swap combat build to hauler loadout on my Cobra
-Head to Robigo. Things are relaxing. I scan poo poo and watch Twitch.
-Mission scum. Realize I probably should have come here with a few more ranks. I'm a measly Peddler so I have to keep going until I find slaves
-I nearly left with only 10/40 full but I decided to keep going for a bit and got a string of luck
-Drop off my first load and make lots of cash. I'm pretty happy.
-Get interdicted and lost half my hull but I'm still alive
-Come at too hard an angle into a mailslot and crash horribly
-I am sad. I have lost my cargo.
-Thank god I dropped something off first. I pull up eddb.io and find the nearest slave shop
-I am sad because I lost my exploration data
-Drop some more poo poo off. Getting pretty tired. I'm scrapping the hull a lot on landings.
-Head back to mailslot, gently caress up and crash, pull back and go in again.
-Get scanned in the mailslot and panic. Boost. Splatter inside the station.
-Go back to slave shop. Can't find the pad. Boost to turn and splatter on a tower.

gently caress it. I'm gonna abandon my remaining 4 quests (~ 9 mil) and go to bed. I hope Robigo isn't too pissed next time I get there. I'm sure I'll laugh at this tomorrow. I still managed to make 9 mil and level to Merchant. It's more important I don't burn out on this poo poo. I'll feel better after I've shot some things tomorrow instead of running in a shield-less and gun-less ship. I don't even wanna Space Trump and poopsock credits. I just wanted to see what Robigo is like before the nerf and make a bit of cash to outfit some cooler guns on my Cobra.

Moral of the story: don't loving start your first Robigo run at midnight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Libluini posted:

Uh, I don't want to disappoint you, but you're aware Jita is in another galaxy in another game, yes? Just in case, you also can't fly the Death Star nor the Enterprise in Elite.

There's a Jita in Elite too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Libluini posted:

Some nerd paid a lot of money to name a system Jita. In an ironic twist, there's nothing there.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Woah, really? I don't know why, but I'm not sure if I should point my finger and laugh at this.

Eh, let's let him have his Jita, he paid for it after all.

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
New Horizons trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX_E6jCGusM

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Well, there's a confirmed release date. 6 days!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

!!!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Are targeting controls hosed up for anybody else on planets? Whether I'm in a ship or SRV, the only way I can target skimmers and defense turrets is through Contacts or with Target Ahead. I can't simply cycle through targets/hostiles with the usual buttons.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTfG0JtsP-M
Six days until you too can pulse-poundingly face tough butt-quenching questions like "Will this fat loving garbage brick of a ship clear that ridge 2 KMs ahead in time???" and burning inquiries like "How come so many occupied escape pods on this tiny no name ice moon 1500kLY away from human space???" and explore such ideas as "This ship crashed into this vertical cliff face 6km up from the bottom, did that single can of tea survive the drop?"

Shine posted:

Are targeting controls hosed up for anybody else on planets? Whether I'm in a ship or SRV, the only way I can target skimmers and defense turrets is through Contacts or with Target Ahead. I can't simply cycle through targets/hostiles with the usual buttons.

I haven't done a ton of SRV combat but I noticed this as well. I also hate how the SRV turret is this weird mix of fixed but lightly gimbaled and a lot of the targets (aka rocks on surfaces) have their 'center' off the model itself so if you target the thing your SRV won't actually shoot it. You have to untarget it so your turret becomes wholly fixed and then blast it.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Helter Skelter posted:

ok that came outta nowhere. this is cool! I'm just starting to get into a good rhythm making money with bounties.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Duke/Rear Admiral for Cutter and Corvette (rank 12).

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Are there any ships that are generally so lovely that you shouldn't even bother with? I hear the Federal Dropship is pretty bad.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Duke/Rear Admiral for Cutter and Corvette.

:smuggo:

Mitchicon posted:

Are there any ships that are generally so lovely that you shouldn't even bother with? I hear the Federal Dropship is pretty bad.
The Orca probably qualifies*. The Type-7 too, especially if you have enough rank with the Imperials to get a Clipper instead.

*It's kinda fun to fly around in, but it's hilariously expensive and does not fill any useful role in the game currently.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 9, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sounds like I've got a week to park my rear end in whatever Empire system has donations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209378&page=2&p=3222741&viewfull=1#post3222741

Yep.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Reddit reactions are pretty funny.

"Yet another grind" etc

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Reddit reactions are pretty funny.

"Yet another grind" etc

The game is full of grinds and Frontier doesn't know how to handle min maxers, I'm sure you of all people will disagree. HOWEVER the way the game is structured means people will slave grind there way up to (either because they can't help themselves -or- there is a lack of anything else to focus on) these ranks, get their Cutter or Corvette and burn out because they just spent a silly amount of time treating the game like a job. It's happened with Powerplay, the BGS and now will happen with these ships.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

KakerMix posted:

The game is full of grinds and Frontier doesn't know how to handle min maxers, I'm sure you of all people will disagree. HOWEVER the way the game is structured means people will slave grind there way up to (either because they can't help themselves -or- there is a lack of anything else to focus on) these ranks, get their Cutter or Corvette and burn out because they just spent a silly amount of time treating the game like a job. It's happened with Powerplay, the BGS and now will happen with these ships.

:nallears:

Done getting that out of your system, sweetie?

What would you consider an appropriate rank?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:nallears:

Done getting that out of your system, sweetie?

What would you consider an appropriate rank?

:confused: I think the current rank requirements are fine, these ships are the best of the best for their respective powers, I'm actually surprised it's not any higher.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I managed to rank up to Prince in the Empire twice due to some :frontear: bug that completely reset my empire rank and I never felt like I was grinding. But I guess its because I did it over time and didn't just try to rush to it ASAP.

Then again, I've only recently obtained a python despite owning the game since launch, so obviously I'm not the average or something. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Libluini posted:

Jesus

• Locked thread