Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

this engine is known to gently caress poo poo up if the framerate exceeds 60 fps, it's really not wise to uncap it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Fixed it. The NVC didn't fix it, but turning on vsync in enblocal.ini did!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 9, 2015

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

I must be dense. I've added "iPresentInterval=1" to the skyrimprefs.ini but I'm still getting 150-230 fps. I read that vsync can be enabled for Skyrim in the NVIDIA Control Panel, but I don't see any options in there to change that setting.

If that doesn't work you can also lock framerate with the memory patch ENB.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Wildtortilla posted:

I have a really annoying problem with water and water sound effects in my game. Water visually flickers and when it does this I get a jumble of sound effects at once, that happens in time with the flickering. I also have a splashing noise plaguing me when I'm moving around. It sounds like I'm splashing in/emerging from water randomly. When this splash effect plays water (flowing water and standing puddles) flickers in time with the splashing sound effect. I'm at a total loss. I do not know what's causing it, my load order is posted here: http://www.modwat.ch/u/wildtortilla

I thought it might be the immersive sounds, I uninstalled it, still had the problem. So I put it back in and then tried uninstalling the realistic lighting overhaul, and I thought that fixed it, but after a few mintues of playing the problems were back :(.

Any suggestions?

That's a vsync problem. Either enable it or disable it (I don't remember which.)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is there an up-to-date guide anywhere on the best texture packs and stuff to download? i'd ideally like to cover most of the textures in the game and have them blend together somewhat decently

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cardboard Box posted:

is there an up-to-date guide anywhere on the best texture packs and stuff to download? i'd ideally like to cover most of the textures in the game and have them blend together somewhat decently

STEP, or the Skyrim Revisited guide on the STEP wiki.

Also, Skyrim Mod Combiner is quite nice.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm about to start playing this dumb game after many years of not playing this game. I plan on modding my game beyond recognition using mod organizer or similar.

What's the goon-approved combat / skill overhaul mod these days? And are there any cool must-have mods that aren't in the op I should maybe take a looksie at?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Ass_Burgerer posted:

And are there any cool must-have mods that aren't in the op I should maybe take a looksie at?

Legacy of the Dragonborn is an absolute must have for all of my playthroughs ever since I first discovered it.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
Anyone keep up to date on any of the total conversion mods? I've played through Skyrim twice, with hundreds of hours accumulated, and probably won't play again until one of those are up to snuff. For a while I was waiting for STEP version 1.3, or whatever, but they were taking forever, so i gave up. Any total conversion mods that are noteworthy? I was under the impression the Nehrim guys were working on one.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Gyshall posted:

STEP, or the Skyrim Revisited guide on the STEP wiki.

Also, Skyrim Mod Combiner is quite nice.

cool, thanks. i think i'll give SMC a shot

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What must I do so that my mountains do not look like this? Here is a link to my mods if that matters. It's really annoying to have the game look nice, then it gets dark out and my mountains turn a light gray color, it's ruining my immersion!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Wildtortilla posted:

What must I do so that my mountains do not look like this? Here is a link to my mods if that matters. It's really annoying to have the game look nice, then it gets dark out and my mountains turn a light gray color, it's ruining my immersion!

Are you running an ENB or any other post processing? What other texture mods do you have?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Gyshall posted:

Are you running an ENB or any other post processing? What other texture mods do you have?

I resolved my problem. My friend recommended using Ruffled Feathers: http://www..com/skyrim/mods/13268/

My game looks great now. :D

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Ok I think I've got my fun-mods installed. Time for some pretty making mods!

ENB kinda looks scary. Can you guys reassure me on some of this stuff? The op just gives me one screenshot for each type of enb. Alternitivly you guys can tell me what you use. I run a pretty needy computer so I think I can run just about anything.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The OP is outdated as gently caress, just look up "ENB" in the Nexus, sort it all by downloads or endorsements and you have a starting point to look through and see what you think looks neat/worth the twiddling

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

Legacy of the Dragonborn is an absolute must have for all of my playthroughs ever since I first discovered it.

This seems really drat cool, sounds like another play through is in order.

Aenobarbus
Nov 7, 2012

scamtank posted:

The OP is outdated as gently caress, just look up "ENB" in the Nexus, sort it all by downloads or endorsements and you have a starting point to look through and see what you think looks neat/worth the twiddling

Agree about the OP, in urgent need of an update.

The ENB page on the STEP site is pretty good for getting it set up and for basic troubleshooting.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

Ass_Burgerer posted:

ENB kinda looks scary. Can you guys reassure me on some of this stuff? The op just gives me one screenshot for each type of enb. Alternitivly you guys can tell me what you use. I run a pretty needy computer so I think I can run just about anything.

somber3 is the enb I personally gravitate to the most. I'm not into the really bright colored fantasy styled enbs though.
Also, I agree that Legacy of the dragonborn is awesome but it really put my ocd on overdrive. I left it out of my most recent playthrough.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Just how risky is it to use skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds? It's ended up on that list of dangerous and outdated mods, but the author of skyBirds claims that it only ended up on the list because of an erroneous report where the actual problem was another mod.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

could i have that list of dangerous/outdated mods?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Cardboard Box posted:

could i have that list of dangerous/outdated mods?

Yeah same. That sounds like really useful resource, that I had no idea existed.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
List is here
https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/dangerous_mods_masterlist

Mizuti posted:

Just how risky is it to use skyBirds - Airborne Perching Birds? It's ended up on that list of dangerous and outdated mods, but the author of skyBirds claims that it only ended up on the list because of an erroneous report where the actual problem was another mod.
Basically it seems to not unload its scripts properly, due to Skyrim scripts not being that reliable in general, and the author's argument appears to be that it's only a problem if you also use other mods.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Threep posted:

Basically it seems to not unload its scripts properly, due to Skyrim scripts not being that reliable in general
Skyrim scripts aren't inherently unreliable or problematic.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I can only use Seasons of Skyrim, with the hideous rain effects turned off (set Enabled=FALSE in the [RAIN] section of enbseries.ini). Every other ENB I've ever tried just makes everything WAY too dark. They all look great in screenshots, not so fun to actually play. I find the SoS is juuuuust enough of the good stuff. If I remember correctly you get lighting options on install and I chose the brightest option, and it's still pretty dark.

On that subject, I get the whole immersion thing and all, but there is a line between realism and fun, and when you flat out cannot see at all how is that fun for anyone?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
To the thread at large - I wanted to say thanks again to everyone for this thread. I went from zero to hero when it came to modding thanks to everyone here. Trouble is that I did that like a year ago and I'm pretty rusty. My sister got her first real adult job recently and bought a rad new PC and I've decided to get her Skyrim for Christmas and teach her how to mod it. She loved it on the XB360 - she doesn't know what she's missing.

This of course means I'm looking at modding from scratch again to help her. Lucky me! On the other hand, Mod Organizer to the rescue! One of it's greatest features is the profiling. When I was setting up my mods the first time with it I took it in stages and created a new profile every time I had things stable and wanted to try something scary and new. This is an amazing ability and I can't recommend this approach more highly to any newbies to modding. As for myself, having those snapshots to reference will help me greatly remembering the general order or installation. The only things it won't help with are the statics, but I think those are just SKSE, Memory Patch, and ENB which should basically be installed first right? Am I missing anything else that's not profile-based?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lordshmee posted:

I can only use Seasons of Skyrim, with the hideous rain effects turned off (set Enabled=FALSE in the [RAIN] section of enbseries.ini). Every other ENB I've ever tried just makes everything WAY too dark. They all look great in screenshots, not so fun to actually play. I find the SoS is juuuuust enough of the good stuff. If I remember correctly you get lighting options on install and I chose the brightest option, and it's still pretty dark.

On that subject, I get the whole immersion thing and all, but there is a line between realism and fun, and when you flat out cannot see at all how is that fun for anyone?

Problem with the 'realism' crowd and dark lightning in Skyrim, is the Skyrim lighting model just doesn't support it very well. Compared to something like Dragon's Dogma, that DOES have super dark nights (and dungeons in some cases), it works, because the exposure/dilation effects aren't as pronounced. ENBs can help, but I still usually get this bizarre as hell under-exposed effect that makes it appear like I'm wearing sunglasses at night looking through black smoke. Even with increased torch light radius (do NOT get mods that change torch light intensity) don't even help much.

I just don't even mess with mods that tinker with lighting anymore. They're always so hit or miss, where the misses tend to be extremely distracting or pervasive depending on the dungeon.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I stopped using ELFX or ELE and just use Relighting Skyrim. AFAIK he just moved the lighting closer to their physical sources, he doesn't change the lights or ambient lighting.

Unfortunately ELFX and ELE do a lot of really nice stuff in some places, but yeah it's tiring to have no lighting at all in caves/dungeons, especially as I almost never play a melee char.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 11, 2015

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lordshmee posted:

I've tried out a bunch of immersion mods and found where that line is for myself at least. Adding weight to items is one; making things that realistically should take time use up actual game time is another (reading, harvesting, crafting, etc.). Anything that creates needless tedium or requires me to perform some repetitive action - I love needing to carry food and water but don't want to have to manually eat and drink for instance. I also don't want to deal with death consequences, so Frostfall never kills me nor can I starve to death or die of a disease, despite using those sorts of mods. I like surface-level, shallow immersion but full overhauls that make simple things a grind go too far for me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have true storms and pure weathers installed, but now it seems to rain all the time just about. Is there any way to lower the chance of rain, as I don't see any mcm menu?

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm having an issue with textures:

I have MO, and when I install PerMa (there was a big installation video, followed all those instructions and everything) and I load up the game, all textures are gone / completely invisible. All I can see is fire, candles, and some particle effects around me as well as smoke and ghosts. Absolutely everything else is invisible.

When I don't install that mod, it seems to be a lot better. But very quickly I end up seeing some textures go invisible when I look at them at certain angles, such as the caves of walls and other things.

I have a fair amount of mods installed. 2k textures mod, static mesh improvement, Ruffled feather mod, map overhaul mod, among a bunch of others. Someone help!

Edit: I'm also using ENB Seasons of skyrim with the exact required ENB version. Could this be an ENB issue? Also, I remember going to enblocal.ini and doing this: VideoMemorySizeMb=9952 // VRAM + RAM - 2048. This is my VRAM + RAM - 2048 in Mbs :v:

Update: This seems to be happening consistently with specific objects and what angle I look at them...

e3: :siren: Holy crap a (maybe) FIX!!!!
I Opened up the ENB in-game configurator with shift-enter while in-game, in the enbseries.ini I checkmarked "useorigonalpostprossessing" and "useorigonalobjectsprossessing" and clicked the APPLY CHANGES at the top. After a short load, everything seems to be working fine, objects Aren't disappearing! I am tentatively moving forward now and actually starting to play skyrim finally! Oddly, after hitting the APPLY button, the checkmarks I made revert back to "-" but otherwise everything's peachy....

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 11, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If it weren't MO I'd say "toggle archive invalidation" but MO does that automatically, doesn't it?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

For lighting issues at night with ENB I have the Lanterns of Skyrim mod for roads and if my torch isn't enough I just press T and change the wait time to a daytime hour. It can be immersion ruining I guess, but I do not care enough about that. I rather have a really pretty game to look at. *shrug*

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mazz posted:

I stopped using ELFX or ELE and just use Relighting Skyrim. AFAIK he just moved the lighting closer to their physical sources, he doesn't change the lights or ambient lighting.

Does Relighting Skyrim play nice with mods that edit cities & towns? I've been thinking about trying it out but didn't want to add much more to my current lineup, so I was going to try it next game but wasn't sure if I'd also need to drop or change up the city mods I'm using.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Everything Burrito posted:

Does Relighting Skyrim play nice with mods that edit cities & towns? I've been thinking about trying it out but didn't want to add much more to my current lineup, so I was going to try it next game but wasn't sure if I'd also need to drop or change up the city mods I'm using.

Think it's going to depend greatly on which we're talking about. I don't have a good MO profile right now (devote most of my Skyrim time to ME) to check either, so I can't give a definite answer.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Right now I'm using the Dawn series in the cities and JK's for towns, but was thinking about next time around trying Dawn + JK's Lite together. Plus I'm using one that edits some interiors in Whiterun because it makes Warmaiden's and the Drunken Huntsman look pretty awesome inside. My suspicion was that it was not going to cooperate very well with those but wasn't sure.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It should be something you can check in TESVEdit at least, you'll be able to pull the X/Y/Z of the lights, including the Skyrim.esm coordinates. So you can see where Relighting moved it but the city mod did not, and where both mods make separate changes. Maybe a lot of work but, I mean, this is Skyrim. It's always a lot of work.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Haha true, and tbh with Jaxonz Positioner able to show lights and select them if anything is really weird I can probably just fix it in-game as I go.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
One thing you might have problems with is any place they add new lights since they won't show up in TESVEdit as conflicts. I know when I combined JK villages and Lanterns of Skyrim there was noticeable overlap in Riverwood and Winterhold.

Relighting shouldn't be adding any, and JK probably adds them in places where there no current lights, so it's probably okay, but idk for sure.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've avoided Lanters of Skyrim largely for that issue, didn't feel like trying to sort out any incompatibility and while am using the darker nights version of Purity I'm not using an ENB so carrying my own lantern/torch is generally enough. I added that mod that gives npcs torches and lanterns to address the immersion factor of having npcs stumbling around in the dark instead of going with additional fixed lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mazz posted:

It should be something you can check in TESVEdit at least, you'll be able to pull the X/Y/Z of the lights, including the Skyrim.esm coordinates. So you can see where Relighting moved it but the city mod did not, and where both mods make separate changes. Maybe a lot of work but, I mean, this is Skyrim. It's always a lot of work.

Ain't that the truth :stonk:

This represents about a week of work, lol, not including installing and testing mods. 516 mods in my MO left hand pane load order, yikes.

My favorite combination right now is ELFX (All modules + Enhancer), Immersive Content - Lights (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/68454/), and Weather and Ambience Overhaul (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/55705/ - still uses the previous version of COT which I am okay with) and whatever ENB you want to use (most are compatible with ELFX). Requires some TES5Edit patching if you want everything to work (especially with JK's cities and other stuff) but generally looks real good. Might see about adding the ELFX compatible version on top of all that if there aren't too many overlaps.

btw Mazz - any reason you changed the Dwarven Piston sounds in Mazz's end? Just noticed a few conflicts with other mods in my load out, mainly Trainwiz's stuff. Mazz's end owns btw.

• Locked thread