Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Can anyone recommend me a decent food safe gloss varnish for mugs/coffee cups?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004

Opinions on this color combination? Its greenish grey with red dyed cashmere

Monteunicorn fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 25, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Here's a really awkward question. Usually when just when I'm falling asleep, that numbness you feel as you're passing out...my mind starts to wander intensely. Often I'll get real vivid imagery and be thrown into a dream state right after laying down, lots of times accompanied with sound, usually music that I've never heard, once in a while screaming voices that wake me up.

It honestly feels like balls out hallucination, but it's always happened and it is short lived.
Does that happen to anyone else, can it be harnessed?

I work in IT, I'm not anywhere near creative as I want to be, but sometimes I draw bad comics or do pixel art, and have been taking piano lessons for like a year.

More often than not, technical or computer programming issues I'm stuck on in my conscious life get solved in that state, computer issues are a lot easier to put down on paper than imagery or sounds in your head when you're half asleep.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Sounds like exploding head syndrome. Not sure why this is in CC unless you think it's your Unbridled Creativity™ trying to communicate though your unconscious mind?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Here's a really awkward question. Usually when just when I'm falling asleep, that numbness you feel as you're passing out...my mind starts to wander intensely. Often I'll get real vivid imagery and be thrown into a dream state right after laying down, lots of times accompanied with sound, usually music that I've never heard, once in a while screaming voices that wake me up.

It honestly feels like balls out hallucination, but it's always happened and it is short lived.
Does that happen to anyone else, can it be harnessed?

I work in IT, I'm not anywhere near creative as I want to be, but sometimes I draw bad comics or do pixel art, and have been taking piano lessons for like a year.

More often than not, technical or computer programming issues I'm stuck on in my conscious life get solved in that state, computer issues are a lot easier to put down on paper than imagery or sounds in your head when you're half asleep.

It is a balls out hallucination. It's a hypnagogic hallucination; basically you've started dreaming. It's the cause of night terrors as well.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

kedo posted:

Sounds like exploding head syndrome. Not sure why this is in CC unless you think it's your Unbridled Creativity™ trying to communicate though your unconscious mind?

Eh, don't let it derail the thread if it's bullshit. That's why I didn't post a thread anywhere.
But, basically, that. Was wondering if anyone sketches out stuff right after waking up or while falling asleep, or if that is not useful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Monteunicorn posted:

Opinions on this color combination? Its greenish grey with red dyed cashmere

Show it to a nerd and they'll think Pokeball.

:goonsay:

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Is there a jewelry-making thread?

Either way, does anyone know a good place to get 25mm round bezel cups WITHOUT PENDANT/EARRING/BROOCH/RING bits already loving attached? All Amazon has (that I can find) are sterling silver, and I do not need sterling silver, nor can I afford it for this project. Stainless steal or something would be great, anything inexpensive in any color besides gold.

I'm new to the part of jewelry-making where you pick settings/mountings and stick your own stuff in them, so I may not be using the right search terms. I basically want to be able to buy (ideally small bulk amounts of) these, except 25mm (1") round ones that are not. freaking. sterling. silver.

PLEASE HELP oh god this is making me nuts

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'Round bezel setting' seems to produce stuff like what you're looking for?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15-x-Stainless-Steel-Cabochon-Round-Bezel-Frame-Pendant-Settings-Five-Sizes-/111359894879
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/209391008/bulk-50-stainless-steel-bezel-cup-16mm

'blank bezel'

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pc...2034095337.html

'pendant blanks also seems to work. Hope that helps.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Is there a jewelry-making thread?

Either way, does anyone know a good place to get 25mm round bezel cups WITHOUT PENDANT/EARRING/BROOCH/RING bits already loving attached? All Amazon has (that I can find) are sterling silver, and I do not need sterling silver, nor can I afford it for this project. Stainless steal or something would be great, anything inexpensive in any color besides gold.

I'm new to the part of jewelry-making where you pick settings/mountings and stick your own stuff in them, so I may not be using the right search terms. I basically want to be able to buy (ideally small bulk amounts of) these, except 25mm (1") round ones that are not. freaking. sterling. silver.

PLEASE HELP oh god this is making me nuts

Try searching for 'silver plated' or 'silver filled' - those are the cheaper alternatives to real sterling.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-25mm-new-silver-tone-plated-circle/236260742.html#sc1-10-1b;frsh|1616134478 is sorta what you want. Got the pin on the back but those are probably removable.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/46157532/10pc-round-25mm-silver-plated-bezel?ref=market is listed on etsy but don't know how many they have - maybe just ten.

One trick for finding things like this is putting your terms into image search, since it makes it a lot easier to scan a bunch of sites at once.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 30, 2015

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've lived abroad for awhile and have received a bunch of motivational, interesting, whatever stuff that I'd like to put into some kind of book. The thing is, some of the stuff has interesting things on both sides and are also all of different size pieces of paper. Is there some way to get this into a book or something similar?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
I'm following an Adobe Illustrator class on Skillshare but I'm having trouble resizing things I draw. Whenever the instructor selects for example a circle, there's a box around it where you can adjust the size, similar to how it works in Photoshop. That box doesn't show up when I select an object, only the paths. Any idea how to enable it?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

I'm following an Adobe Illustrator class on Skillshare but I'm having trouble resizing things I draw. Whenever the instructor selects for example a circle, there's a box around it where you can adjust the size, similar to how it works in Photoshop. That box doesn't show up when I select an object, only the paths. Any idea how to enable it?

Your bounding box is turned off. View > Show Bounding Box. It's Shift + Cmd + B on a mac.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

rotinaj posted:

How does a writer take a manuscript to a beta reader and get them to read it and give you critiquing on it... And ensure that your work isn't going to be stolen? I can see asking a person you have a personal relationship with and trust them, but some dude on the internet? How do I know he or she isn't gonna slap it on Amazon and make some beer money off my work?

This comes off as really paranoid. The chances of some random unpaid editor stealing your work are close to zero. Most people are honest. I'm assuming you're on some kind of writer's workshop site? Otherwise the people you give it to have no reason to even read the whole thing, let alone provide thoughtful feedback. I'd say your challenge at this point is having written something engaging enough for somebody to read past the first couple sentences, not plagiarism.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

But, basically, that. Was wondering if anyone sketches out stuff right after waking up or while falling asleep, or if that is not useful.

Thomas Edison (IIRC) would court this intentionally. He'd sit in a chair with arm rests, with ball bearings in his hands, and pie plates on the floor. As he drifted off to sleep (and had crazy thoughts/visions), his hands would relax, drop the ball bearings, which would hit the plates, make a bang, and wake him up. Then he'd take notes.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

The first two aren't, they're pendants. The second one is, though. And in the right drat size! I already found some on Amazon by playing "plug different terms for the same drat thing into Google" game, I guess I need to do it with etsy when it's time to reorder. Thank you.

Tunicate posted:

Try searching for 'silver plated' or 'silver filled' - those are the cheaper alternatives to real sterling.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-25mm-new-silver-tone-plated-circle/236260742.html#sc1-10-1b;frsh|1616134478 is sorta what you want. Got the pin on the back but those are probably removable.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/46157532/10pc-round-25mm-silver-plated-bezel?ref=market is listed on etsy but don't know how many they have - maybe just ten.

One trick for finding things like this is putting your terms into image search, since it makes it a lot easier to scan a bunch of sites at once.

The bolded parts are incredibly helpful and I feel slightly dumb for not thinking of the second.

The first link, again, has the little jump loop hole. I tried snipping that off of a setting I have that's almost identical, and had no luck hiding the spot where it had been snipped off. The second link is more proof there are too many drat names for the same aspect of something when it comes to this. I should be good when I re-order thanks to the tips you share, though. Thank you.

huhu posted:

I've lived abroad for awhile and have received a bunch of motivational, interesting, whatever stuff that I'd like to put into some kind of book. The thing is, some of the stuff has interesting things on both sides and are also all of different size pieces of paper. Is there some way to get this into a book or something similar?

There are gigantic scrapbooks with clear plastic pages inside (thin collectible card binders but without the card-sized pockets, and with crazy designs as well as half-way elegant ones on the outside) , where most people insert patterned paper as background for each side, then stick stuff on each side. You could easily use some heavier weight paper to make matting for the things that you want both sides of to be visible. As for the all different sizes, you can put multiple smaller things in one page, and again, use heavier weight paper as matting to keep them in place. You can also purchase pre-made matting, although it's not cheap.

Scrapbooking is a huge thing right now, so nothing related to it is cheap. But you'll definitely be able to find a book large enough for your largest items unless you have decent-sized posters. A lot of different brands have sprung up, all competing with each other, which is good for selection. I also advise grabbing the sort of scrapbook where more clear protective pages can easily be added.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I just got an iPhone 6s Plus phablet (with 3D Tooooooch) and I'm looking for a stylus that will compliment it well. I plan to use my stylus for drawing. I know some of the Adonit Jot versions also have pressure sensitivity, so I'm wondering how these two technologies will interact. Recommendations would be really swell, please!

Note Block fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 1, 2015

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've heard good things about the Pencil Stylus, but I've never used it myself.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

I've heard good things about the Pencil Stylus, but I've never used it myself.

Thanks for the suggestion! I bought the 53 pencil and it's REALLY great so far.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

SynthOrange posted:

Show it to a nerd and they'll think Pokeball.

:goonsay:

That was my first thought. I like the combo

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've gotten back into drawing after a long dry spell and I've been trying to keep a schedule of sketching regularly. Though I find myself drawing a blank fairly often at what to draw just to warm up even if its a pretty face looking to the left. What do you do when you just want to loosen up your hand?

Also, I'm a stupidly fast sketcher and I have a real hard time slowing down. I did a lot of those 20s figure sketch things and while I still need to keep it up, I always feel like I'm going to ruin something if I try to refine it. Is there any way to get around this kind of mental block? I've only really seen advice for the people who obsess over small details, while here I am with a fluid-ish sketch and no idea where to go next.

I'm just doing this all as a hobby so I'm not on any sort of deadline, but I kind of miss my teenagerhood where I could just draw awful anime crap forever and practice that way.

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 4, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Pick a loose sketch that you really like, scan it in, darken it, upsize it, print it out on its own sheet of paper, and put a new clean sheet of paper on top and use it as a guide for another iteration. You'll start to learn how to see good potential for more detailed drawings in your quick sketches and you don't ever have to worry about "ruining" your original sketch again.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

mutata posted:

Pick a loose sketch that you really like, scan it in, darken it, upsize it, print it out on its own sheet of paper, and put a new clean sheet of paper on top and use it as a guide for another iteration. You'll start to learn how to see good potential for more detailed drawings in your quick sketches and you don't ever have to worry about "ruining" your original sketch again.

This or just some velum or marker paper and trace over to avoid the scanning process.

Plus, marker paper will let you experiment color, should the mood strike.

Octahedron
Nov 12, 2011
I'm curious to hear how other people deal with backing up their digital projects. I've got a few hundred gigs of photoshop files that have accumulated over the years that I'm just starting to sort out, and I'd like to have off-site backups for them. At the moment, my plan is to just upload my old stuff to OneDrive until my terabyte of storage there is full, and then eventually pay for Amazon Glacier past that. For stuff I'm currently working on, I've already been using Adobe's dropbox-esque cloud storage, mostly since I'm already stuck paying for it regardless so I might as well :v: Would be nice if it was more than 20 gigs of space though.

This is excluding my reference photos though, which... I'm not sure how I want to deal with yet. Flickr maybe?

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
We use Amazon Glacier at work and back it up every week from our NAS. Seems to work pretty well and it's cheap, they recently lowered the price from $0.01 per GB to $0.007 per GB ($7 per TB per month) and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down even more. That being said 1 TB external drives are under $60 and will be cheaper in the long run, but the convenience and off-site security of AWS is worth the small extra cost.

Remember that Glacier doesn't charge extra to upload to, but if you ever want to access the data it's 1 GB/mo for free and then $0.9 per GB after that.

Anony Mouse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 8, 2015

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Just wanted some further feedback, i've uploaded 30 sketches (not in chronological order though, sorry), most of them being from the times i've been going to a life-drawing session, pre-emptive sorry for the bad camera and lighting:

http://imgur.com/a/IZu4a (NSFW, poorly drawn anatomy)

They're not really good but i feel i've been improving slowly, I've also kept with doing short amounts of drawing and drawing exercisesm, as well as attending a lifedrawing session every week. I've been trying to learn more about anatomy, but it's not the easiest thing to put onto paper.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Just wanted some further feedback, i've uploaded 30 sketches (not in chronological order though, sorry), most of them being from the times i've been going to a life-drawing session, pre-emptive sorry for the bad camera and lighting:

They're not really good but i feel i've been improving slowly, I've also kept with doing short amounts of drawing and drawing exercisesm, as well as attending a lifedrawing session every week. I've been trying to learn more about anatomy, but it's not the easiest thing to put onto paper.

You're still trying to draw what you think you see vs what you actually see. Our brains are wired really well to translate what we see into symbols, but obviously that doesn't work real well for drawing and you will need a lot more practice to learn how to draw what you see. It's especially hard to do that when you don't know how the body is put together.

You're coming from a level of natural ability that means you will have to work if you want to be good at this. You need to draw every day. Have you checked this out? http://artists.pixelovely.com/category/technique/ you might also look at comic book drawing how-tos.

There's nothing wrong with starting with stick figures to figure out proportion. You can use the head as a unit of measure. Don't be afraid to use photo references, just try to stay away from magazines if you can. The bodies get photoshopped into inhuman proportions.

I really don't think you have the baseline to get anything out of those posing sessions right now. If they are costing you money, stop them immediately. If you must attend something, try to find a lesson, otherwise that time is better spent reading and practicing how to draw.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Has the fountain pen thread gone away?

I have a Pilot Metropolitan with a fine nib that I hate. The pen writes far too fine, and I'd like to trade it with another fountain pen goon for something with a medium nib.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

NancyPants posted:

I really don't think you have the baseline to get anything out of those posing sessions right now. If they are costing you money, stop them immediately.

I disagree with this part. Drawing from life is always superior to drawing from photo reference if given the option. A photo does a lot of the work for you, since you are just copying a 2d image (usually with hosed up values/colors). That's perfectly fine if you just want to know what something looks like, but that's not as good at teaching you how to see (instead of relying on symbols and what you think stuff looks like). Even if the gains are slow, just getting a better handle for charcoal, looking at human figures and keeping up the routine of going somewhere to draw from life on a weekly basis are all good things.

I do agree that an instructor would be especially helpful however. You should see if you can find a local life drawing class at the local community college or art center. Google the instructor's name and try to find their portfolio, make sure they have some strong figure work somewhere in there before you take their class. These are the people who are likely to teach you good measuring skills, how to simplify planes/values, construction etc. You will make faster gains if you change up how you approach it but I think having someone there coaching and giving you good advice, immediate feedback, etc will give you the best gains.

You might also want to try setting up some still lifes at home. Just put some random household stuff on a table and light it with a lamp (you can get good focused light from a cheapo IKEA LED lamp or something), something that creates strong shadows that will be easy to see. You can learn a lot about form by studying those and the best part is they don't move. But unless you're really hurting for money, I'd say keep up the life drawing.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

The anatomy and proportion fundamentals are missing. Having dynamic values doesn't help when you don't know how to draw the shape of a thing, and you can still learn to draw what you see even with flattened shadows. Photo references aren't perfect, but it lets you throw a grid over a face to figure out how far features are supposed to be from each other. You can get as many as you want per session, it takes the pressure off and lets you not get married to any single drawing. At the beginner level a photo is fine to use, especially if it means more references and more practice time.

I stand by my statement that if the sessions cost money, they're not the thing to do right now. You can get that from going to a park or looking at a restaurant, there's no point paying for it.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm dealing with mod podge for the first time and did this project: http://www.thebudgetdecorator.com/diy-canvas-photos-on-the-cheap/

I was experimenting with the number of coats needed since with just one coat, I could lightly scratch and the mod podge would come right off the top of the photo. I found that 3 to 4 coats was best so I applied this. I just went to test the photos again after a few weeks of having been dry and I can still easily scratch off the mod podge. Of course I wouldn't typically be scratching my photos but I'd like them to be able to survive a few bump and a house move. What could I do to stop this from happening?

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

A painter friend of mine has been developing an interest in ukiyo-e/ink painting, integrating those kinds of techniques in her works.
I'm looking for a small christmas gift for her, and I'm wondering what kind of brushes, or ink or paper would help her. She's using some fairly basic material, so giving her higher-end stuff would be appreciated, I think.

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.

Chipp Zanuff posted:

I also think you should keep going to life drawing sessions, but you need to supplement it with some teaching. Proko is a very good place to start: http://tinyurl.com/o6abegk . I suggest buying the premium figure drawing course as it includes tons of great gesture drawing examples.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Thanks for the comments, critique and feedback so far, i really appreciate people taking time to look at my stuff, especially when it's really beginner's stuff.

In regards to sessions; they're held once a week and only cost 5 pounds, so it's not really a drain of money atm.

I'll supplement my current sessions by drawing things other than people which is what i've been mainly concentrating at the moment. I feel my main problem (beyond what's been pointed out right now and in the past) is my bad lines and inability to draw shapes and lines consistantly. The main frustration i have is translating what i see/what i want onto the paper with the pencil, for stuff like arms and legs, i end up drawing messed up, out-of proportion ovals even though im intending for something that looks like an actual forearm etc.

I've unfortunately haven't had as much time as i'd have liked to concentrate on drawing, i mainly draw during those sessions and try to pack 5 minutes in everyday.

Thanks again for the comments, i will take them on board!

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 15, 2015

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I tried looking for a more appropriate thread, but I didn't see one, so I figured I'd ask here:

Is there a thread for Puppet/Muppet construction? I found the Plushies thread, but that's obviously not a perfect fit.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

Who knows how I can make a distressed looking "property of" t-shirt? I know that I could use a template from cafe press or zazzle or someplace to make a non-distressed one, but I can't find a distressed template. I could design from scratch, but I'm not sure what fonts to use or what type of filter to get the distressed/ vintage sort of look.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Is there a free equivalent out there to Adobe Bridge? I'm looking for something to organize reference photos with, specifically by tags. Right now I'm just doing it through Windows but I need to be able to tag pngs, GIFs, and other file types, which I can't do through Windows.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Hello everyone, time for my stupid question.
I've been doing my damndest to be an artist for 3 years, I do canvases and abstract stuff in my shed, over the past 3 years I've been involved with a local group that's about helping people with mental health issues among other things.

It was thanks to them I had my first exhibition, I managed to sell every single piece that I had.....

Didn't see a bloody penny for it, it all went back into the group, and since then I've had other smaller places showing my artwork (even got a piece in the local paper) but I've not sold as much as that first time.

I really want this new year to be one where I can sell at least some of the paintings that I have (basically an entire bedroom and then some)

where do I even begin to start?

I've travelled as best as I can and tried giving out my little business cards but not had much luck honestly, I have a page on facebook and have tons of viewers but viewers don't = sales.

Thank you for reading, hope I don't sound mental.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Thank you for reading, hope I don't sound mental.

Well if we are talking "fine art" as opposed to more commercial/illustrator stuff one thing you can try is getting into a local gallery. This is a pro/con kind of thing but depending on where you are at it could be a good fit for you.

Nice thing about a gallery is they'll have your work out where people can see it, and if they are worth a drat they will be able to help you out with promoting your work. Well established galleries will know their client base and if you give them a painting they'll likely know who the potential buyers for it could be and be able to do that networking for you.

This does come at a significant cost. They'll take a percentage of each sale and usually a gallery expects to be the sole representative for your work for their particular area. They wont want you selling the same kind of paintings you give them at local art fares, or other galleries or even a website usually. They are however usually fine with you creating partnerships with other galleries in other regions/cities/etc. But the details will vary and this is one of the reasons why you always need to read any contract a gallery gives you before you sign it. Some deals will be better than others so make sure you do your research.

It can also be difficult to get a gallery to take your work in to begin with. Though the fact that you've already sold a good amount of work and have had your own exhibition is pretty promising. If you find some galleries you know you'd like to work with then let them know and send them a portfolio. While you shouldn't be a "pest" you do need to be very persistent and make sure to remind them you are there. Even something like mailing a gallery a bunch of postcard sized prints of your latest pieces every 2 months or whatever can be useful. Self-promotion takes a lot of work and persistence. Its easier to do too little than too much so don't be shy.

You could also consider finding an art agent, who might be able to connect you either to galleries or businesses that might have a use for your work. Also with gallerys and agents both, they get paid based on a percentage of what gets sold depending on the arrangement. You do NOT pay them to show or sell your work, so if they ask for money upfront from you then that's a huge red flag.

Anyways, not saying this is the best route to go but it might be something worth investigating at least as a potential option.

Also, be careful about donating your work. While I understand it was for a charity event, they ought to have paid you at least a small percentage for your pieces. If you are 100% devoted to the cause and the group and happy with the outcome then fine but even in the case of a charity event usually artists get at least some cut. Especially if other people involved are also getting paid for their time and services. I bet the combined time it took you to make those pieces was a pretty substantial amount. Your time and your work has value, and if you don't treat it like it does, then others won't either. Not saying you shouldn't have done it, that's your call, but just be careful about stuff like that.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Being a professional artist sounds unbelievably frustrating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

JuniperCake posted:

Nice thing about a gallery is they'll have your work out where people can see it, and if they are worth a drat they will be able to help you out with promoting your work. Well established galleries will know their client base and if you give them a painting they'll likely know who the potential buyers for it could be and be able to do that networking for you.

This does come at a significant cost. They'll take a percentage of each sale and usually a gallery expects to be the sole representative for your work for their particular area. They wont want you selling the same kind of paintings you give them at local art fares, or other galleries or even a website usually. They are however usually fine with you creating partnerships with other galleries in other regions/cities/etc. But the details will vary and this is one of the reasons why you always need to read any contract a gallery gives you before you sign it. Some deals will be better than others so make sure you do your research.

It can also be difficult to get a gallery to take your work in to begin with. Though the fact that you've already sold a good amount of work and have had your own exhibition is pretty promising. If you find some galleries you know you'd like to work with then let them know and send them a portfolio. While you shouldn't be a "pest" you do need to be very persistent and make sure to remind them you are there. Even something like mailing a gallery a bunch of postcard sized prints of your latest pieces every 2 months or whatever can be useful. Self-promotion takes a lot of work and persistence. Its easier to do too little than too much so don't be shy.

You could also consider finding an art agent, who might be able to connect you either to galleries or businesses that might have a use for your work. Also with gallerys and agents both, they get paid based on a percentage of what gets sold depending on the arrangement. You do NOT pay them to show or sell your work, so if they ask for money upfront from you then that's a huge red flag.

Anyways, not saying this is the best route to go but it might be something worth investigating at least as a potential option.

Thank you so much for replying, I think getting in touch with a gallery is the best course of action, which is good because there's one in town.
And I was taught a good lesson by a guy who helped me with some magazine work "always always always read the contract, take it home, ask for a copy, don't just sign like a dick"

He knew a guy who got some work and was given papers to sign "Have you read the contract?" "yeah yup yep" "Oh that's funny cause one of the clauses states you must dress up like a rabbit and hop around the studio"

he looked again and he wasn't lying, thankfully the guy was just teaching him a lesson and didn't make him do it.