Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bolverkur posted:

I've always had a big problem with how recent the Empire's uprising was and how Jedi were so prominent only a few decades ago. Which is why I'll run my campaign in a setting where the Empire has existed for centuries, as well as the Emperor, with the Clone Wars being something totally unrelated to how the Empire was formed. It puts the Old Republic and the Jedi Order in the very distant, mythical past, where it belongs in my opinion.

The issue with that is that it doesn't hash with the fact that Luke's dad was a Jedi Knight (and openly about it too, as he fought as one in the Clone Wars per Obi-Wan in ANH), and that the Clone Wars happened before the rise of the Empire. That kinda forces a certain timeline on you.

But yeah I agree, the Empire would seem like a much better badguy if it weren't so short-lived. The Old Republic stood for thousands of years, and the Empire as it's depicted in the movies really only ruled the majority of the Galaxy for like... 30? And continued to hold onto parts of it for maybe 130, in the form of the Remnant and then the Fel Empire, which were both more like successor states than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
The Third Reich lasted a bit less time than the Empire, though. They are still the go-to "irredeemably evil regime".

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH

homullus posted:

- Darth Vader both "betrayed and murdered" Luke's dad, and is his dad

Spoiler that poo poo dude!

I actually do like the idea of exploring where the Jedi went wrong. If I ever start my campaign back up, the party had just met a Jedi who was not a fighter and he will have his theory that the Jedi got too involved in the Government and Politics.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I feel Lucas wanted to avoid telling the really obvious, elegant plot so instead we got this weird nonsense thing.

Like, a massive army of clones show up, the republic is forced into more and more desperate measures to stave them off. The republic cannot maintain it's principles in the face of this and turns towards more extreme measures, with the jedi resisting and being eliminated except for the handful who turn evil. Darth. Eventually we find out that as per the existing plot the emperor was behind the whole thing.

Boom, I'm bad at story.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ShineDog posted:

Like, a massive army of clones show up, the republic is forced into more and more desperate measures to stave them off. The republic cannot maintain it's principles in the face of this and turns towards more extreme measures, with the jedi resisting and being eliminated except for the handful who turn evil. Darth. Eventually we find out that as per the existing plot the emperor was behind the whole thing.

Boom, I'm bad at story.
That is, essentially, the first thing that occurred to me based on "There was a Republic, there were some Clone Wars, the Jedi were betrayed and exterminated, now there's a Dark Side Emperor and he just finally dissolved the Senate."

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Drone posted:

The issue with that is that it doesn't hash with the fact that Luke's dad was a Jedi Knight (and openly about it too, as he fought as one in the Clone Wars per Obi-Wan in ANH), and that the Clone Wars happened before the rise of the Empire. That kinda forces a certain timeline on you.

What am I misremembering from these movies, why is it so certain from the original trilogy that the Clone Wars happened before the rise of the Empire?

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
Luke says "My father didn't fight in the clone wars, he was a navigator on a spice freighter."

Then Obi Wan says "I was once a jedi knight like your father, before the dark times. Before the empire."

So that's probably where people were getting that impression.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I think the empire from republic in a short space of time can work, it just needed to be done differently.

Things in the republic were never shown to be particularly bad. For the empire to arise out of the public it needed to either be completely on it's knees to the point that people would accept ANYTHING that could get them to some kind of stability, or the republic had to basically have become the empire without the name, probably both.

You can still kind of declare that to be the case in the films as they exist, but it's never really shown since the films never really explore beyond coruscant where people are happily going to the waterball opera thing during a galactic apocalypse war.

Basically the clone wars needed to be shown as a time of utter desperation and sheer galaxy spanning destruction, which is how I'll be playing it in my Fate starwars game - The empire was embraced because it brought some measure of stability and was able to bring about reconstruction where there had been a blasted hellscape before. Aggressive and punitive laws? People would be more likely to accept that if the stormtroopers are also bringing cranes and food shipments to the planet that was a rubblefield before. The rebellion comes after that, when the reconstruction is over but the punitive laws remain.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ShineDog posted:

I think the empire from republic in a short space of time can work, it just needed to be done differently.

Things in the republic were never shown to be particularly bad. For the empire to arise out of the public it needed to either be completely on it's knees to the point that people would accept ANYTHING that could get them to some kind of stability, or the republic had to basically have become the empire without the name, probably both.

You can still kind of declare that to be the case in the films as they exist, but it's never really shown since the films never really explore beyond coruscant where people are happily going to the waterball opera thing during a galactic apocalypse war.

Basically the clone wars needed to be shown as a time of utter desperation and sheer galaxy spanning destruction, which is how I'll be playing it in my Fate starwars game - The empire was embraced because it brought some measure of stability and was able to bring about reconstruction where there had been a blasted hellscape before. Aggressive and punitive laws? People would be more likely to accept that if the stormtroopers are also bringing cranes and food shipments to the planet that was a rubblefield before. The rebellion comes after that, when the reconstruction is over but the punitive laws remain.

Lucas had always cited the rise of the Nazis to power in Weimar Germany as an inspiration for the rise of the Empire, but he never really followed through with the background concept. For example, some of the key factors to the rise of the Nazis to power were:

-Having lost a devastating war and having very harsh peace conditions foisted upon them - both the psychological and economical effects.
-A government with very little popular support and legitimacy
-A strong urban legend of the nation's rulers (and previous wartime rulers) as having "stabbed <the people> in the back"
-A nationalist, racist, militarist, revanchist faction stirring up trouble and blaming the country's problems on a historically scapegoated minority
-A charismatic figure leading said faction with no "real" counterpart from the mainstream factions, aside from...
-...guy who is seen as the father of your nation, who dies with no similar statesmanlike successor.
-A period of economic recovery followed by a dramatic downturn again (1929), overturning any progress and reinforcing the idea that the system is inherently broken.
-Possible false flag terror operations (burning of the Reichstag)

Contasted with the key factors to the rise of Palpatine:

-Uh.... the galaxy is old and sorta corrupt, I guess?
-A highly decentralized galactic government anyway, so who really cares how corrupt Coruscant is?
-The previous chancellor is perceived as a weak, effete, establishment opera lover, and people want someone more Reaganlike?
-Uh.... an invented enemy and a war that the Republic never really had a chance of losing anyway?
-A senate that has to grant emergency powers to get stuff done instead of just writing legislation themselves?
-Uh.... the galaxy is old and sorta corrupt, I guess? Somethingsomething trade disputes, somethingsomething taxation?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Beach posted:

Luke says "My father didn't fight in the clone wars, he was a navigator on a spice freighter."

Then Obi Wan says "I was once a jedi knight like your father, before the dark times. Before the empire."

So that's probably where people were getting that impression.

Thanks, now I understand why I am interpreting this differently. Obi-Wan says:

quote:

"Your father's light saber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times... before the Empire.

I always took this as something that happened far in the past, when the Old Republic existed. I never assumed that either Obi-Wan or Anakin lived during that time, and Obi-Wan's tone makes this feel like the distant past, not the recent one. It's a legend. Nothing in the original trilogy (as far as I can see) says that the Clone Wars happened before the Empire or that it somehow contributed to the Empire existing.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bolverkur posted:

I always took this as something that happened far in the past, when the Old Republic existed. I never assumed that either Obi-Wan or Anakin lived during that time, and Obi-Wan's tone makes this feel like the distant past, not the recent one. It's a legend. Nothing in the original trilogy (as far as I can see) says that the Clone Wars happened before the Empire or that it somehow contributed to the Empire existing.

It's just more economical to have them connected. If you have a prequel trilogy that has to explain how the Empire came about, how the Clone Wars came about, and how Anakin became Vader without any of those things being related, you have a handful, and have to show a lot of story elements that simply have nothing to do with each other. They're just . . . happening at the same time. Like, yes, I am sure you can do it, especially if you have more than three movies' worth of space, but the original trilogy is all about the smallness of family and the connection to the Force. Your reading isn't impossible from a "Star Wars is a separate and infinitely-detailed universe" perspective, but it was very unlikely from a "Star Wars is three movies, with just three episodes before episode 4 to explain that episode" perspective.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Bolverkur posted:

"Your father" is the key bit here. Luke had to been fathered 20ish years ago, so his father had to be alive then, but not able to raise him. The words do suggest distance, but its a hard biological limit.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 10, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Luke's references to the Jedi and the clone wars sound like half-remembered legends, even though it's inarguable that the fall of the Jedi was only a generation ago. I think this is mostly explained by Luke being a farmboy raised in the middle of nowhere on a nowhere planet.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

Luke's references to the Jedi and the clone wars sound like half-remembered legends, even though it's inarguable that the fall of the Jedi was only a generation ago. I think this is mostly explained by Luke being a farmboy raised in the middle of nowhere on a nowhere planet.

That plus keep in mind that the average galactic citizen would know gently caress all about the Jedi. Even if there were 100,000 Jedi actively cruising around the Galaxy, the odds of ever running into one and seeing their Force use in action is infinitesimally small.

LordNat
May 16, 2009
I see of it how people tell stories of the Navy SEALs or the Foreign Legion today. People know a bunch of tales about how amazing they are but almost no one ever sees them in action. All we know are stories and legends even tho they are an active force at this moment. Now expand that over billions of worlds and a generation of distance from active action.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
:ducksiren::siren:Goons Krysmphoenix and Neowyrm, keep out! This concerns the IRL game that you're a part of!:siren::ducksiren:

Want some potential goon advice on my campaign: So I'm going to be running "Legends of the Hidden Jedi Temple" for my group tomorrow, need some suggestions for rooms or challenges, or ways to adapt the old Nick gameshow to a tabletop game! PM me or post it here under spoiler bars!

jivjov fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 11, 2015

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

jivjov posted:

Goons Krysmphoenix and Neowyrm, keep out! This concerns the IRL game that you're a part of!

The Shrine of the Silver Monkey Lizard

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

cptn_dr posted:

The Shrine of the Silver Monkey Lizard

Already planned that one, complete with it requiring an absurdly difficult check to complete. I was thinking like Difficulty 4 and burning a Destiny Point on it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just make it so they have to assemble it with force telekinesis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

LordNat posted:

I see of it how people tell stories of the Navy SEALs or the Foreign Legion today. People know a bunch of tales about how amazing they are but almost no one ever sees them in action. All we know are stories and legends even tho they are an active force at this moment. Now expand that over billions of worlds and a generation of distance from active action.
A caveat to that, though: At the end of the briefing before they attack the Death Star, the rebels say "May the Force be with you" together. Now, I can see how Jedi religion might have a much bigger influence on the Rebel Alliance than on the general population, but it implies that the Jedi philosophy is not totally secretive and obscure.

Maybe kind of like how a lot of people in the Roman Empire would have known about a particular mystery cult and invoked it from time to time, but a faction in the legions might have been serious worshipers. Idunno.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Alright, after nearly spoiling myself, I'm just going to unbookmark this thread until tomorrow's game then. It better be a good ones!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
We need more Adversary decks. I want a Beasts, Creatures and Monsters deck, and maybe a Ships and Vehicles deck...

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I think the fundamental problem with the prequels was that it was a whole lot of "tell, don't show." If we could actually see and experience the destruction that the clone wars were supposedly wreaking on the populace, then maybe Palpatine's consolidation would seem much more reasonable.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

jivjov posted:

:ducksiren::siren:Goons Krysmphoenix and Neowyrm, keep out! This concerns the IRL game that you're a part of!:siren::ducksiren:

Want some potential goon advice on my campaign: So I'm going to be running "Legends of the Hidden Jedi Temple" for my group tomorrow, need some suggestions for rooms or challenges, or ways to adapt the old Nick gameshow to a tabletop game! PM me or post it here under spoiler bars!

I'm assuming you already have plans for Temple Guards? :getin: or maybe doing the whole medallion system they had on the show? Give them one for free, have a guard jump out and take it as a warning to watching out. Then maybe hide 2 halfs of another somewhere in your temple. This assuming you already have a map everything planned out as well?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm assuming you already have plans for Temple Guards? :getin: or maybe doing the whole medallion system they had on the show? Give them one for free, have a guard jump out and take it as a warning to watching out. Then maybe hide 2 halfs of another somewhere in your temple. This assuming you already have a map everything planned out as well?

I wasn't quite sure how to implement the Temple Guards...but I think I'll try to make Medallions work somehow. And yeah, I've got a full map and whatnot drawn up, working on individual rooms now. Basically trying to make all sorts of skill checks important somewhere in the Temple.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

nothing to seehere posted:

"Your father" is the key bit here. Luke had to been fathered 20ish years ago, so his father had to be alive then, but not able to raise him. The words do suggest distance, but its a hard biological limit.

Yoda is something crazy like 900 years old and sustained by the force. Luke's dad could reasonably have been a couple of hundred years old when Luke was born. That's plenty of time for the clone wars and a lengthy collapse of the Republic if you need one.

In terms of fitting it all into 3 pre-quel movies you could have the first movie have Anakin fighting in the clone wars as an adult or as an apprentice like Obi-wan was for Qui-Gon-Jin. That gives you two movies for the fall of the Jedi and spares everyone the horror of nine-year old Anakin hitting on barely teenage Padme. Best of all - no Gungans! (They get wiped out before this version of the first movie without Anakin to save them.)

Edit:

jivjov posted:

I wasn't quite sure how to implement the Temple Guards...but I think I'll try to make Medallions work somehow. And yeah, I've got a full map and whatnot drawn up, working on individual rooms now. Basically trying to make all sorts of skill checks important somewhere in the Temple.

You could do the Temple Guards like the Dagobah cave visions. Have whoever sends them in warn them not to kill stuff the way Yoda warns Luke and if the players fight them it turns out the Temple Guards are themselves. Hand out dark side points every time they fight to keep the medallions from the guards and/or have any wounds they inflict show up on their own bodies.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 11, 2015

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LLSix posted:

Yoda is something crazy like 900 years old and sustained by the force. Luke's dad could reasonably have been a couple of hundred years old when Luke was born. That's plenty of time for the clone wars and a lengthy collapse of the Republic if you need one.
Yoda is of an unknown but presumably non-human species. Humans might still, even with Jedi enhancements, have normal-ish lifespans. It's irrelevant, though, because Amidala is not a Jedi (may not even be force-sensitive) and she meets Anakin when she is young and gives him children within 30 years.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Still say the best version I ever heard was the Star Wars prequels played like Space Cops. Have Annikin the new rookie and Obi-wan the existing Knight.

Add some drama, done explosive, and maybe an honest to god love triangle.

The movie makes itself.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Everblight posted:

Yoda is of an unknown but presumably non-human species. Humans might still, even with Jedi enhancements, have normal-ish lifespans. It's irrelevant, though, because Amidala is not a Jedi (may not even be force-sensitive) and she meets Anakin when she is young and gives him children within 30 years.

If I remember right, there's hardly anything about Luke's mom in the original trilogy.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

She died when Leia was "Very young" . She was "Sad, mostly".

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

A caveat to that, though: At the end of the briefing before they attack the Death Star, the rebels say "May the Force be with you" together. Now, I can see how Jedi religion might have a much bigger influence on the Rebel Alliance than on the general population, but it implies that the Jedi philosophy is not totally secretive and obscure.

Maybe kind of like how a lot of people in the Roman Empire would have known about a particular mystery cult and invoked it from time to time, but a faction in the legions might have been serious worshipers. Idunno.

I kind of see it as the same as them saying something like Semper Fi. It is just a saying they use. Bail Organa had ties to the Jedi in the past so he went with one that had meaning to him and resonates with the people oppressed by the Empire.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I just got a buddy of mine to record me an Olmec-alike intro for my game.

Interesting fact: Dee Bradley Baker was the voice of Olmec, well before voicing the clones in Clone Wars

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I'm thinking of grabbing my bud some Force and Destiny stuff for his birthday/Christmas and I had a question. Are the Specialization decks just cards of the talents from the trees in the main book? Would the beginner box, the core book, and some extra dice be a reasonable start?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Canopus250 posted:

Would the beginner box, the core book, and some extra dice be a reasonable start?

That's what I bought, and I'm running a F&D campaign now with no trouble. So it works pretty well in my experience.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

LLSix posted:

I think the key point is that Luke and Leia are just shy of twenty when Episode IV occurs; it doesn't matter whether Anakin was 25 or 250 when he and their mother conceived them, it was around twenty years before. Unless he was getting it on in the full Vader suit, and unless Obi-wan literally stole Vader's kids instead of taking Anakin's, that means the Empire's formation and Anakin's turn to the dark side was always about 20 year or a little less before episode IV.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Canopus250 posted:

I'm thinking of grabbing my bud some Force and Destiny stuff for his birthday/Christmas and I had a question. Are the Specialization decks just cards of the talents from the trees in the main book? Would the beginner box, the core book, and some extra dice be a reasonable start?

Don't get the specialist decks, but if you are a DM the adversary decks are totes boss.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Servetus posted:

I think the key point is that Luke and Leia are just shy of twenty when Episode IV occurs; it doesn't matter whether Anakin was 25 or 250 when he and their mother conceived them, it was around twenty years before. Unless he was getting it on in the full Vader suit, and unless Obi-wan literally stole Vader's kids instead of taking Anakin's, that means the Empire's formation and Anakin's turn to the dark side was always about 20 year or a little less before episode IV.

That is a very good point.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So a friend from back home started an online game and sent me the info so I could play. The setting was 'alternative universe where when Vader offered to rule as father and son, Luke took the offer. The empire is nominally less racist and horrible, but is still oppressive and totalitarian. You are part of the fractured rebellion two years after Vader and Luke's coup'

So I asked what I should play to some friends, and they were like 'ask if you cna just play Leia and kick your dad and brothers rear end'.

The GM said yes. So now I am playing Leia apparently.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

KittyEmpress posted:

So a friend from back home started an online game and sent me the info so I could play. The setting was 'alternative universe where when Vader offered to rule as father and son, Luke took the offer. The empire is nominally less racist and horrible, but is still oppressive and totalitarian. You are part of the fractured rebellion two years after Vader and Luke's coup'

So I asked what I should play to some friends, and they were like 'ask if you cna just play Leia and kick your dad and brothers rear end'.

The GM said yes. So now I am playing Leia apparently.

In the event that your brother shows up, be aware he is very likely to bring up how goddamn weird it was that you kissed him that one time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You son of a bitch. We dropped one of the halves through reckless use of Move during the Shrine of the Silver Monkey Lizard. The room was so terrifying that we had to make a fear check the moment we stepped in, and I got 3 failures on my roll.