Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hugoon Chavez posted:

The voice acting is really lacking, which is a big letdown because Xenoblade had amazing VAs but yeah, I haven't found any Engrish and zero memes.

At worst, Lin is just a regular 15 year old geeky girl. No memes, but some geeky behavior which is honestly charming and not annoying.

Thats because Xenoblade had veteran UK actors from stage and TV, instead of the usual 20-30-odd VA's cycling around most US-released games and anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

There's one thing I don't understand about the revelation at the end of chapter 5. I get that everyone's real bodies are in stasis and they're remote-operating these cyborg bodies with their minds, okay. But the game begins with Alma pulling your character out of a stasis pod. Shouldn't this be your real body then?

Also holy poo poo that scene really suffered badly from having a silent protagonist.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hugoon Chavez posted:

The voice acting is really lacking, which is a big letdown because Xenoblade had amazing VAs but yeah, I haven't found any Engrish and zero memes.

At worst, Lin is just a regular 15 year old geeky girl. No memes, but some geeky behavior which is honestly charming and not annoying.

I dunno, they seem to try their damnedest to turn that "Tatsu = food" joke into one.

Edit: And that joke is definitely not charming or not annoying after the 15th time it comes up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Suaimhneas posted:

There's one thing I don't understand about the revelation at the end of chapter 5. I get that everyone's real bodies are in stasis and they're remote-operating these cyborg bodies with their minds, okay. But the game begins with Alma pulling your character out of a stasis pod. Shouldn't this be your real body then?

Also holy poo poo that scene really suffered badly from having a silent protagonist.

Yeah there's a lot of things you are still in the dark on at that point. It gets revealed slowly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's occasional nerd culture groaners but nothing so gauche as a word for word internet meme. Like I haven't decided if Mia is inspired writing or awful.

Tatsu being food joke owns because it means every story mission starts in the kitchen and the bass line at the beginning of the wacky music makes it seem like some awful anime Seinfeld.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Especially after Chapter 6 and Tatsu stops being comic relief and becomes like an active hindrance and danger to the lives of people around him and you begin to wonder why they don't just drop him back off with his own people

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What's the point of the Destabilizer perk? Why would I want to reduce weapon stability? (or increase it, whatever direction is 'bad' I guess, there's a stabilizer perk that does the other thing)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
some of you guys are valuing a few dozen points of attack power way too much, a lot of the other equipment bonuses will get you just as much or more mileage, like TP gain and stuff that works off arts. The stuff that increases soul voice odds probably does wonders when you can get it at decent percentages too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

victrix posted:

What's the point of the Destabilizer perk? Why would I want to reduce weapon stability? (or increase it, whatever direction is 'bad' I guess, there's a stabilizer perk that does the other thing)

±0% stabliity means a 100 damage weapon does 100 points of base damage. ±20% stability weapon means it does 80-120 points of base damage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Pomp posted:

some of you guys are valuing a few dozen points of attack power way too much, a lot of the other equipment bonuses will get you just as much or more mileage, like TP gain and stuff that works off arts. The stuff that increases soul voice odds probably does wonders when you can get it at decent percentages too.
Its easy to end up with an attack power addiction since its the easiest thing to understand out of the 500 different modifiers.

I have a suspicion it isn't normalized for cooldown or ammo count so it seems invaluable for fast weapons and guns but less useful on slow stuff with a decent base attack power built into the weapons base stat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pomp posted:

I just don't understand what to equip and what arts/skills to use. I wish there were some recommended builds out there but I can't find anything. I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this stuff, generally RPGs are very simple nowadays and Xenoblade is pretty complex.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How do I track what I have and haven't explored? I realize some places have a "scenic vista found = 0" thing but only on the probe's cell

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

±0% stabliity means a 100 damage weapon does 100 points of base damage. ±20% stability weapon means it does 80-120 points of base damage.

I know, I'm asking why I would want an augment that makes stability worse :confused:

There's a Stabilizer perk, but I found a weapon with a Destabilizer perk

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just met H.B. after avoiding him somehow this entire time.

Maaan what a fucker. A man is dead because of him, at least Bozo the Xeno hating monk let me heal that alien

Jakk
Sep 24, 2006
Is the game's story appealing to people who aren't that into anime/not familiar with the Xeno series storyline?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jakk posted:

Is the game's story appealing to people who aren't that into anime/not familiar with the Xeno series storyline?

It's a sci fi story with some ~anime~ thrown in because japan, doesn't have anything to do with the rest of the Xeno games.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jakk posted:

The game's story isn't really worth talking about. It is however a strong contender for best open world game of the year, if that sounds appealing to you definitely get it

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The game's story isn't really worth talking about. It is however a strong contender for best open world game of the year, if that sounds appealing to you definitely get it

I'm not sure if I'd qualify it for best open world game. I would, however, say it has one of the best designed and visually interesting worlds I've seen in a long time, it's an absolute delight to explore.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 9, 2015

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Oh that rear end in a top hat. I did Phog's quest without having any idea he existed, then right after I finished it in a flash because I smashed the enemies with my skell, that jerk showed up and wiped my team instantly.

Also I really need a better way to build affinity than to complete missions because I am rapidly running out of ones that take place outside Sylvanus and Cauldros.. Although I guess since I've hit level 50 by doing things like 'take my team of level 30 Skells and gang up on a single level 60 enemy and smash its face in' those really won't be that hard to complete.

Saigyouji posted:

There are. There's at least one in Oblivia, on an island ssurrounded by bottomless pit. And I'm pretty sure there's one on a pillar somewhere in Primordia.

On the note of probes, I picked up a mission with the objective of making 70k in a single return, which sounds like a puzzle all of its own.

I did some :science: on this and you can actually get to that island without flight! You can do a jump in midair if you go off a ledge while in vehicle mode which gives you enough distance to land on that island... and then you find out that probe point requires mechanical level 5 and you have no way back without fast travel.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 9, 2015

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Pomp posted:

Yeah seriously, I have several pieces of gear with Max TP Up and its pretty great being able to use TP arts and still have enough to revive someone or use overdrive if I need to. Goes well with the Duelist(?) ability that uses your TP to raise the rest of the party's too.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Saigyouji posted:

I'm fond of how pretty much every piece of scenery in Noctilum tries to eat you. Rocks? Yep. Flowers? Yep. Trees? Sure thing. Ruins in a lake? You bet it does. I'm pretty sure the only thing that hasn't tried is the cliffs, and I dunno how long that'll last.

Just wait for the camouflage cliff scorpions in oblivion. Ugh, that screech they make when they aggro.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

When I swam to the snow area I saw this cool robot enemy that was huge and flying around. Friend without the game asked if I could get a picture of it as he likes mech designs and agreed so started following it trying to get a good shot of it only for some giant hell beast to erupt from the earth and devour me.

That uh

That really startled me :saddowns:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Jakk posted:

No

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I love the xeno series and the main questline is kind of boring. the sidequests is where all the world building happens.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I mixed up the survey 20% of Noctilum requirement for chapter 6 with a mission to do 30% of another continent and spent like 4 hours on Noctilum holy jesus.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I luckily already had 18% of Noctilum surveyed because I was looking for that loving Spherical EM Motor. :suicide:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Don't take the Gathering missions because you get the items regardless if you have the mission in your log or not. You can just immediately accept and turn them in if you happen to have the items it requests.

Fair warning, don't just immediately gloss over EVERY gathering quest. A small number of them have stuff that only spawns if you take them, these ones also have the quest tracker work. They're usually fairly obvious, stuff like finding a locket or data drive.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

victrix posted:

I know, I'm asking why I would want an augment that makes stability worse :confused:

There's a Stabilizer perk, but I found a weapon with a Destabilizer perk

Because worse stability means you might do 20 points less of damage, but you could also do 20 points more.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It seems kinda stupid to spend an augment slot on something which doesn't change your average DPS at all when there's so many other options which just flat out improve your combat performance

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

I dunno, they seem to try their damnedest to turn that "Tatsu = food" joke into one.

Edit: And that joke is definitely not charming or not annoying after the 15th time it comes up.

I really doubt that originated with the translators though, considering it's the focal point of like 2/3 of Tatsu's scenes.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It seems kinda stupid to spend an augment slot on something which doesn't change your average DPS at all when there's so many other options which just flat out improve your combat performance

It's an RPG staple, though. Some people prefer swingy damage over stable damage. Axes v Swords kind of argument.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Unless there's some sort of skill that takes advantage of it I think its just straight up a gambler mode. Remember that a 20 point spread can turn into like 1000 points after it runs through the wringer of art scaling, voice scaling, 2nd cd scaling, and crit scaling.

Gambler mode weapons have never been the maximized way to go but they keep ending up in jRPGs because I don't know, tradition?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Fhqwhgads posted:

It's an RPG staple, though. Some people prefer swingy damage over stable damage. Axes v Swords kind of argument.

Lightsabers vs chainsaws, in this game's case.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
On ground gear it seems like there is a fashion real separate from regular equip... Does that mean I can give my character whatever gear I want fashion wise but he'll still be using the stats of his actual equipment?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

greatn posted:

On ground gear it seems like there is a fashion real separate from regular equip... Does that mean I can give my character whatever gear I want fashion wise but he'll still be using the stats of his actual equipment?

Correct. Anything in Fashion Gear will override your armor.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Do gathering quests auto-complete like they did in XB? I think I just cleared chapter 4 but before setting out I accepted a bunch of 1 star gathering quests in the hopes I'd grab all the collectibles while adventuring but I still have quite a few. On the same note, I noticed a few quests ask to give 1200 or 1700 units or moranium or whatever it's called. Do you have to go somewhere to do it?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Shoehead posted:

I mixed up the survey 20% of Noctilum requirement for chapter 6 with a mission to do 30% of another continent and spent like 4 hours on Noctilum holy jesus.

same :<

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Louisgod posted:

Do gathering quests auto-complete like they did in XB? I think I just cleared chapter 4 but before setting out I accepted a bunch of 1 star gathering quests in the hopes I'd grab all the collectibles while adventuring but I still have quite a few. On the same note, I noticed a few quests ask to give 1200 or 1700 units or moranium or whatever it's called. Do you have to go somewhere to do it?

Gathering quests will complete automatically except for special missions, and yes you need to find the npc who wants the miranium and give it to them to complete those quests.

So it seems that Squad 05U-847 is basically the goon squad, as it always seems to have five or more people from here in it, like yesterday when it had at least fifteen at once.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Quests will auto complete. The moranium you don't need to collect yourself, you get it automatically from probes. Just make sure you have the storage units placed on the map to get the amount you want. There's a quest for example that asks for 10,000 moranium, I couldn't complete it because in total I could only hold 6000 units, placed some storage units down and got up to 21,000 moranium so I was able to complete the quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It kinda irks me that in a game that's so dense there's a lot of information that's inaccessible to the player. I can build a character around critical hits but I have no idea what my crit chance is, or even what the baseline crit chance is, or how much damage crits even do. Should I use Hawkeye (boosts crit power) over Eagle Eye (boosts ranged attack)? Both are buffs but I have no idea how much each one contributes to its respective stat. Does "weapon damage up" on a gun increase the damage of that gun only, or both of my weapons, and is it for every attack or only arts that specify "weapon damage".

It's frustrating because I like this game and it's so clearly a labor of love that's crammed full of complex mechanics that the creators could easily have not bothered with, but then they skipped over some really essential stuff.

• Locked thread