Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

hollylolly posted:

I think S3 will for sure explore more of the world and include whatever is happening in Australia in more detail.

Lindelof didn't say in interviews that "yes Kevin is having a psychotic break" or "No he isn't" but he did say that the writers had made a choice between the two options and are writing it that way. Since he actually came back to life after bleeding all over the place I'm going to go with that choice being "yes, something supernatural is going on with Kevin."

I really hope this gets renewed. :pray:

Unless they Jacob's Ladder it. Which I hope they don't (and doubt they will). As far as Lindelof is concerned, I like him a little more with each interview he does, but "we made a choice and are writing it that way" is a little too reminiscent of "we know where Lost is going we promise!" So color me cautiously optimistic on that statement.

As for season 3 I really hope they go somewhere else totally like this season. It's kind of like a anthology-esque treatment. Without replacing characters though. I hope they decide "gently caress Miracle" and the whole group takes off to Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
In the interview where he said the writers know, he also claimed they spent a lot of time discussing how each apparently magical thing could have happened in real life. We can discuss how successful they were, but for the sake of fairness it is also important to mention that:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/damon-lindelof-on-the-leftovers-im-fighting-for-the-life-of-the-show

quote:

The answer to your question is no. There was no intentionality in the finale of, "We're going to go full-bore magical." The magical thinking aspect of the show is for me, a very interesting conversation because the Departure happened. So the rules that govern this world inherently have to accept that the Departure happened. So if you're talking about a show like "Lost" that is inherently supernatural/magical in its DNA — although we had to do a certain tap dance in the first season of that show and say, "No, no, it's Michael Crichton. Don't worry; the show's not going to get too weird," for a variety of reasons where I wish I could have been more honest at that point, but there's always a game to be played — there's no game to be played, the show is what it is. It's interesting to me that people watch "The Leftovers" and they don't want it to be magical. They want the Departure to have happened and everything else to be entirely grounded in reality. I embrace that presentation. But I also feel like, the rule that we've set for ourselves as storytellers, more or less, is that if 2 percent of the world's population disappeared, 2 percent of the show should be magical, and the other 98 percent should be grounded. That said, the story that was Kevin's primary story, his arc over the entire course of the season, was that he was being haunted by Patti Levin. The question became, for us as writers, is she real or is she a figment of Kevin's imagination? Is he having a psychotic break, as Laurie describes? Is there any truth to this? Is that the actual Patti, or is that Kevin's psyche? We had to decide as writers. It would be bullshit for me to say to you, (idiot voice) "Well, uh, there's different, uh, potential interpretations of that." We know. We have intentionality, but I am not going to say in an interview, "This is what it was." That's really the way that I feel about the show whole cloth.

I'd be very curious to wonder what you think those areas of an out-and-out, absolute 100 percent, "We're in a magical realm now" are. I could probably case by case go, talk about the discussions we had in the writers room about how some of those things could have happened: how Kevin could have survived getting shot by John Murphy. As opposed to what didn't happen in the room, "Well, you can't kill Kevin Garvey now, because he's the third coming of Jesus Christ." That didn't happen. One person's magical thinking is another person's cynicism. There are some people, yourself included, who believe that Isaac's ability to determine that Meg's mom had walnuts in her final meal is proof of the supernatural, and I am here to tell you I strongly disagree. That isn't to say that Isaac isn't legit. The writers room has made a clear determination on that as well. But that's like saying David Copperfield can walk through the Great Wall of China because we all saw it happen. It's a really good trick.

In fact, given how heavily the season ended on the side of magic, I wouldn't be surprised if season 3 (if there is one) starts out by going the opposite direction, having Kevin in a hospital struggling to get back on his feet, Mary having a troubling pregnancy, etc.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 8, 2015

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I don't think they'll ever revisit this, but I think someone earlier that Meg's Mom was going to tell her the "Broken Pencil" knock knock joke before she died? That makes sense to me. Not only because of the way that she brings it up in the restaurant, but because of Meg's reaction. We know she's gone to multiple psychics looking for an answer to this question, for this one thing that's going to make everything in her life fall into place and make sense again and then things can get back to normal (like a lot of characters in this show). And, after the walnuts thing, when she finally thinks she's going to get it, it ends up literally being "pointless". It seems like the thing that could finally push someone who's already in a fragile state over the edge into dangerous territory.

Also, in the scene after, when Evie says that she "doesn't know any jokes", Meg has this reaction to her that struck me as oddly similar to the one she has when Tommy says his family is in Texas. Like she can't believe the coincidence of it all. The joke just fits in that blank so well, does anyone else have any ideas on what it could have been?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Did this work or did they all get stoned?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

Did this work or did they all get stoned?

Those look like regular cigarettes and e-ci-

oh I see what you meant.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Those look like regular cigarettes and e-ci-

oh I see what you meant.

When Meg ordered that kid to get stoned in Ten Thirteen I was like, "sweet" :okpos:

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I wonder what the entry rules to the hotel are, because if everyone goes to there when you die it kind of implies a ton of people don't really want to come back to life. The tasks seem to be more bewildering than they're actually difficult.

Ugh I gotta sing a song? No thanks, I'd rather stay dead forever from that random mugger who shot me in front of my family.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zsinjeh posted:

I wonder what the entry rules to the hotel are, because if everyone goes to there when you die it kind of implies a ton of people don't really want to come back to life. The tasks seem to be more bewildering than they're actually difficult.

Ugh I gotta sing a song? No thanks, I'd rather stay dead forever from that random mugger who shot me in front of my family.
Don't poo poo talk Bruce Wayne's dad :mad:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

Maybe it's only Jarden and somewhere in Australia that go there.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah according to Lindelof, Jarden is an Axis Mundi and Kevin is a shaman or something. Troublingly, if you go to wikipedia and search for "axis mundI" and then go to the "shamanic function" subheading, it says:

wikipedia posted:

A common shamanic concept, and a universally told story, is that of the healer traversing the axis mundi to bring back knowledge from the other world. It may be seen in the stories from Odin and the World Ash Tree to the Garden of Eden and Jacob's Ladder to Jack and the Beanstalk and Rapunzel.

Confirmed Kevin died.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

punchymcpunch posted:

Confirmed Kevin died.

drat it.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

-__________________________________________________-

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

punchymcpunch posted:

Yeah according to Lindelof, Jarden is an Axis Mundi and Kevin is a shaman or something. Troublingly, if you go to wikipedia and search for "axis mundI" and then go to the "shamanic function" subheading, it says:

Confirmed Kevin died.

Why didn't you quote the more interesting part that came after that?

quote:

Anyone or anything suspended on the axis between heaven and earth becomes a repository of potential knowledge. A special status accrues to the thing suspended: a serpent, a victim of crucifixion or hanging...

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Yeah the nooses on the bridge could either be some shamanic set-dressing or they could be an Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge reference. So Kevin is either a magic man or everyone died. Lindelof, you magnificent bastard!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know there's a lot of depth to this show, but I genuinely think that thinking Kevin died (for real) is reaching.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

I think it's just a winking reference by Lindelof to all the Lost theories. Hope so, anyway.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I wonder what will happen to the Murphys in season 3. If family is everything like Meg said then John Murphy in contrast to Kevin has nothing. His family is destroyed. I could see season 3 dealing a lot with John. I would have said the same with season 1, but it seems like season 3 would have to stay in Jarden to resolve the Murphy's story and the fact that Kevin was pretty adamant about the fact that it is his home now.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think my biggest disappointment with Season 2 was: not enough Pillar Guy. I wanted more Pillar Guy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, this was an amazing season. Definitely one of my favourite pieces of TV of all time.

What were everyone's favourite episodes? I found I got the most out of Lens and Ten Thirteen, then Off Ramp and the Matt episode, and then the two main ghost Patti episodes (7/8). It's weird how despite loving all the Garvey and Murphy stuff so much of it is the stuff I liked the least of the season. This really has been something special.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Escobarbarian posted:

Man, this was an amazing season. Definitely one of my favourite pieces of TV of all time.

What were everyone's favourite episodes? I found I got the most out of Lens and Ten Thirteen, then Off Ramp and the Matt episode, and then the two main ghost Patti episodes (7/8). It's weird how despite loving all the Garvey and Murphy stuff so much of it is the stuff I liked the least of the season. This really has been something special.

International Assassin and it's not even close

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
International Assassin is a fantastic episode, don't get me wrong, but it's not one of my personal favourites. I think I can't help comparing it negatively to the Sopranos coma episodes - I told Occ that if Join the Club and Mayham are an A, this is a B+. Although that's referring to the surreal portions rather than the Patti stuff which was perfect and fantastic

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

The Sopranos dream sequences never really furthered the story though. Kevin's dream sequence was pretty integral to furthering the plot of the show, or at least his individual story.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

warcrimes posted:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I'd say I Live Here Now, followed closely by International Assassin. The scene with John cleaning Kevin's wounds puts it over the top for me.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

THA TITTY THRILLER posted:

I'd say I Live Here Now, followed closely by International Assassin. The scene with John cleaning Kevin's wounds puts it over the top for me.

Hard to pick but I agree with your choices. Although the scene that got me was the Karaoke, but I'm clouded since my friend just died and I almost lost my poo poo when Kevin was singing "Homeward Bound".

On the subject of the Australia references in Off Ramp when Laurie was in the publisher's office he says "This wing nut in Australia says he went to the other side and can't die." Third season road trip for Kevin to see his dad and meet up with the wing nut and find out why he can't die either?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

warcrimes posted:

Probably my favourite thing Ive watched this year.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I am going to be different and say No Room at the Inn. Matt episodes are loving awesome.

Ten Thirteen was also really excellent but I would similarly put it just behind International Assassin and I Live Here Now. Those last three episodes were a phenomenal string of eps though, so I can see it being underrated since it's sandwiched between two of the season's best.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I loved the entire season, but the one episode that made me go from "this is a pretty good season" to "this is one of the best things I've ever watched" was the Lens/A most powerful adversary sequence.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

tomapot posted:

On the subject of the Australia references in Off Ramp when Laurie was in the publisher's office he says "This wing nut in Australia says he went to the other side and can't die." Third season road trip for Kevin to see his dad and meet up with the wing nut and find out why he can't die either?

In the same episode we overhear a program on TV mentioning that the man "emerged from a cave near Perth," which is exactly where Garvey, Sr. was "hosed up on this poo poo they call God's Tongue." Definitely seems like they've laid groundwork for big story there, though I can't help but think HBO wouldn't be keen on moving filming halfway around the world for Season 3, no matter how much cheaper it is to film in Australia.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I can't imagine they don't renew. They've talked openly how thy hosed up with Rome and Deadwood

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
I feel like every episode exceeded the one before with the exception of 10/13 being a minor step back and I Live Here Now not quite catching back up to International Assassin.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

stupid puma posted:

The Sopranos dream sequences never really furthered the story though. Kevin's dream sequence was pretty integral to furthering the plot of the show, or at least his individual story.

warcrimes posted:

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

stupid puma posted:

This isn't really true. Sopranos dream sequences followed in the footsteps of Twin Peaks in that they permitted characters intuition, in the case of the Sopranos these included: Tony realising that he was in love with his therapist, Tony realising his best friend was an FBI informant, Tony realising his cousin would start a mob war, Carmela realising Adriana was dead. The final season coma-dream sequence of Tony living in a hotel under an alternate name and career path, to which International Assassin owes a huge deal, was the most abstracted but still set up the whole arc of him questioning his assumptions about his values and life direction, and in the glorious final run whether or not he actually needed the people closest to him to be present in his life, or even alive and above ground.

International Assassin was a great episode, but it more or less cheated by having Kevin be totally conscious of his real identity and agenda within a persistent world, making for much more of an alternate universe feel than an actual dream. It's also a little funny to say it advanced the story exactly because the stakes of the episode - Kevin has to exorcise his ghost nemesis by pushing a small child down a well without drinking any water - are totally arbitrary apart from on the thematic/character development level of him embracing faith and making peace with a buried side to his personality (we resolve absolutely nothing on a plot level about how and why Kevin ever heard voices or saw visions, let alone Patti in particular) which again is surely why it bore the Sopranos influence so heavily.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

I wonder how many of the most supportive fans of this series have suffered severe and sudden loss. I feel like it might be a lot, I certainly have.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Who else here has kids and feels incredibly :smith: whenever they show the children either departed or leftover in the opening?

I mean, that shot with the boy on the bed is incredibly depressing to me, possibly because he looks a bit like my son.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pot Pie posted:

I wonder how many of the most supportive fans of this series have suffered severe and sudden loss. I feel like it might be a lot, I certainly have.
It is helping me work through my clinical depression.

ntrepid
Oct 11, 2004
Uh..
A couple of things I picked up on in the last few episodes that I don't think were mentioned and I may or may not be reaching...but with Lindelof you have to think they were intentional.

The scoreboard outside of Jarden is for Milton High School. John Milton wrote Paradise Lost. The clock counted down to zero and paradise was essentially lost.

Virgil, the Roman poet, helped guide Dante in his journey through hell.

I have a very limited knowledge of these stories, but they stuck out to me. I'm sure you literary goons can take that and run with it.

ntrepid fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 10, 2015

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Who else here has kids and feels incredibly :smith: whenever they show the children either departed or leftover in the opening?

I mean, that shot with the boy on the bed is incredibly depressing to me, possibly because he looks a bit like my son.

I have a 16 month old daughter and Erika confronting Evie on the bridge definitely had the water works going.I can't even imagine that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

BonoMan posted:

I have a 16 month old daughter and Erika confronting Evie on the bridge definitely had the water works going.I can't even imagine that.

Well, let's both pledge to not be the parents that Erika and John were to their kids, so that we don't end up on a bridge arguing for our kids to talk to us and to run away from the potential bomb that they've set up in an elaborate ploy to allow a cult to gain access into a restricted town! :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Off Ramp is the episode that took this show from amazing, to holy poo poo, this season is something special. Despite that, I have to say International Assassin was my favorite and it isn't even close. It is one of the best hours of TV I've ever seen.

• Locked thread