Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Any consequence, even in dialogue, in 3 for not saving Triss in 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't played the previous games but is there a reason the Witcher only seems to get involved with sorceresses? Every lady in the game seems to be a mage of some sort. Why isn't one of your love interests a smith, or a warrior, or a anything other than a magic user? Just the sort of circles he keeps and the work he does?

The one in the expansion is not a sorceress, she's an idealist medic, and that storyline will explain pretty well why normal ladies generally don't look to build anything serious with professional monster hunters. You also can get with a warrior lady during a quest but that's not a lingering storyline.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Lareine posted:

Normal ladies don't tend to get involved with witchers. The most they'll do is gently caress them but on account of witchers being sterile and nomadic, they aren't very good husband material. Also, filthy mutants etc etc. If a human woman DID marry a witcher, it wouldn't really turn out that fab anyway since witchers age really slowly. Eventually, she'd die of old age provided she didn't die of something else first.

Sorceresses have none of these problems. They are also ageless and sterile and normal people also distrust them. The nomad thing might be a slight hitch but sorceresses can teleport so that really isn't a big deal.

There's a quest that involves you going after some guy and it turns out he's a retired married with children witcher, the kids aren't his but still it shows it can happen.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

El Hefe posted:

There's a quest that involves you going after some guy and it turns out he's a retired married with children witcher, the kids aren't his but still it shows it can happen.

He's also rich as hell. Most witchers are penniless.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
That's because he became a straight-up assassin and it's implied, a slave-trader. Lambert and I slaughtered him while his family watched and cried (I assume).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With Towerful of Mice done I'm now pretty sure I've managed to accidentally help a ghost kill their lover in all three games. :haw:

e: lmao I looked up to see if there was a followup thing about that. Sorry random kingdom.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 9, 2015

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Supreme Allah posted:

That's because he became a straight-up assassin and it's implied, a slave-trader. Lambert and I slaughtered him while his family watched and cried (I assume).

But he also got out and was turning down opportunities to get back in + giving money to charity etc. just because CDPR doesn't want to make anything cut and dry

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lareine posted:

Normal ladies don't tend to get involved with witchers. The most they'll do is gently caress them but on account of witchers being sterile and nomadic, they aren't very good husband material. Also, filthy mutants etc etc. If a human woman DID marry a witcher, it wouldn't really turn out that fab anyway since witchers age really slowly. Eventually, she'd die of old age provided she didn't die of something else first.

Sorceresses have none of these problems. They are also ageless and sterile and normal people also distrust them. The nomad thing might be a slight hitch but sorceresses can teleport so that really isn't a big deal.

Yeah that makes total sense, like how people in entertainment generally end up with other people in entertainment because of the rather different lifestyle. Being a magic using outcast wanderer sort of narrows your dating pool.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm sad this thread finally drove The Sharmat to end his own account's live. I wish we'd seen the signs in time :(

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand how this thread can survive without whatsisface. Close thread, gas forum, etc.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Sharmat was our Dandelion

RIP the great bard

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Honestly will seem like a different thread without seeing that Dew Kamehameha every page. For what it's worth, I enjoyed reading your posts.

Anyway, my take on the whole tits thing it's mostly a hold-over from the first game, which wasn't in great taste, and now while pandering to that expectation CDPR is putting an alternate spin on those elements. Ciri's popped shirt isn't great, and Triss' ren faire costume is terrible, but overall I see the game deals with sex with more maturity than most games I've played.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I just got the game installed from dvd. I can run it fine but there seems to be an 18 gb (?) patch. My internet simply can't handle any where near that. Can I play the un patched version ok? 18 gb seems insane for a patch what could possibly be in it?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah the full frontal is part of it but the series is also still living down the sex cards. Once a reputation is established it's hard to shake.

What's frustrating is that virtually no one who worked on W1 is actually still here.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

JetsGuy posted:

Prayer.

Like seriously I don't think I got my greater red mutagen until I was near the end of the game.

Good luck.

Bovine Defense Initiative reportedly drops them, and he's endlessly farmable.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

What's frustrating is that virtually no one who worked on W1 is actually still here.
I dunno, firing the whole dev team over some sex cards is pretty cold :D.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Pellisworth posted:

Sharmat was our Dandelion

RIP the great bard

Requiescat in pace. Melitele welcome him.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yeah rip in pace dewritos guy

Titties in the Witcher are dumb pandering but who cares, pop culture around the globe is filled with dumb pandering sex stuff and nobody loses an eye over it. Unless they live in a crazy fundie country.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

T.G. Xarbala posted:

yeah rip in pace dewritos guy

Titties in the Witcher are dumb pandering but who cares, pop culture around the globe is filled with dumb pandering sex stuff and nobody loses an eye over it. Unless they live in a crazy fundie country.

We have an Arabic localization too, but it's actually the Japanese loc that has the most censorship.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

We have an Arabic localization too, but it's actually the Japanese loc that has the most censorship.

I'm actually not surprised. For all the reputation Japan has for its post-watershed sad nerd subculture, their actual mass market media has some pretty strict guidelines on a lot of stuff. Especially wrt violence.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Googling led to this. It is actually kind of surprising that Japan censors nudity as well as gore.

Come to think of it, Witcher 2 showed pubic hair on the women in several of their nude scenes. W3 got rid of this (either they have permanent underwear or the angles in the cutscenes hide their crotch areas). What is the reasoning behind this? They both seem to have been rated M by the ESRB, so it shouldn't be that it would lead to a more restrictive rating.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

They just couldn't make TressFX work with pubes, the technology isn't yet fully explored.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
So how is this game on Death March difficulty with all the new patches? Last time I played was around June on the 2nd highest difficulty and found the game pretty easy towards the endgame.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still an early grind, still a piss walk after that. Expansion is trickier but the content levels off fairly quickly regardless.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Holy poo poo, they weren't kidding when they said that the whirlwind attack trivializes the final boss. He was completely defenseless against the combo, which managed to whittle him down to empty health in one go. I completely skipped the middle section of the fight entirely.

That was badass.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
No one has posted these here yet? For shame!

First screenshots of Blood and Wine:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
lol reading comments about those screenshots and people unironically whining because they are too colorful and to make them more brown

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

El Hefe posted:

lol reading comments about those screenshots and people unironically whining because they are too colorful and to make them more brown

Games with brown filters have altered the eyes of some gamers where bright colors are straight up harmful to look at.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So... The first time you fight a Wild Huntsman, are you supposed to only be able to hit him once immediately after the sorceress hits him, then hop dodge away to max range? He can't be blocked without getting stunned and chopped, can't be hit without a spell stunning him because he immediately counters and chops you, and cannot be parry-countered at all, which is hard enough to do on regular enemies. You can't even use the longer lunge dodge because the windup is too slow. I beat him but not before eating all my healing items. Surely the combat isn't going to be like this forever.

There's no trick to it that I remember. I had made an unwise save right before his fight triggers (no potions, sword almost shattered) and I had to drop down to Very Easy to get through it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm sure that beautiful castle is rotten on the inside witcher-style. It also most likely has a sweet colorful bordello.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yrden slows him down so you can just whack his butt a few times and back up in between using Quen to keep yourself going. Igni fucks the hounds up pretty badly when he goes to recover to full health.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Slashrat posted:

No one has posted these here yet? For shame!

First screenshots of Blood and Wine:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720352&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=613#post453615660

:smug:

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

El Hefe posted:

Maybe what they mean is too saturated. It does look like the saturation was dialed up to 11.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wrong thread lmao.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Maybe what they mean is too saturated. It does look like the saturation was dialed up to 11.

But it doesn't look too saturated?

it looks like a colorful town, and the peak of sunshine. The sun is a bright ball of light. This have color, the sun intensifies them for what is a promotional shot meant to show off detail.

Gamers just bitch alot.

Just like boobtalk.

ZearothK posted:

Rejoice, for the mod you have been waiting for has arrived, replacing all combat with Gwent.
That deserves so much more discussion then boobs.

I don't have the same perspectives on the boobs in game because I decided to not have the sex, except with yen. Also I like dudes myself. Every dude in this game seems to have lung issues and a bad attitude so I was fine.

People have sex. sometimes good sometimes bad. The moral landscape on sex and its depictions varies from place to place. the game is rated M. Games should do what they can but can't be a shining beacon of societal standards, and it will be a LONG time before they surpass other media forms, and society at large in depictions. At the same time I respect peoples perspectives and think games have come a long way in the past like 2 years alone, and we've a lot to look forward to in games depictions of women and the relations between them and men, sexuality , orientations etc. No game is perfect but compared to 2-3 years prior, this isn't horrible. Small progress with missteps is still progress.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 9, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I'm level 11 but can't kill a level 6 quest werewolf because it has insane health regeneration. I'll run in, stun, potion the gently caress up to buff my self, but even hacking away at it full speed it heals faster than I can deal damage. It's nuts.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Either do it later (the quest pauses until you complete it) you can either out damage his healing, wait till you get the bomb that stops his healing form. (or a poison bomb)

I just over-powered him by leveling a little bit and using fire.

You have to be fairly aggressive to do that (over powering his healing) so the shield sign will be useful.
If you are still using the silver sword from the beginning of the game, get a new one of some sort.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

So I'm level 11 but can't kill a level 6 quest werewolf because it has insane health regeneration. I'll run in, stun, potion the gently caress up to buff my self, but even hacking away at it full speed it heals faster than I can deal damage. It's nuts.

It's a regenerating enemy in a fantasy RPG.

Set it on fire.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Baronjutter posted:

According to loading screen tooltips moon dust bombs stop werewolf regen. Never tried it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

andrew smash posted:

According to loading screen tooltips moon dust bombs stop werewolf regen. Never tried it myself.

I can't never get bombs to work, uses the same terrible interface as the crossbow so it's totally useless to me. The few times I tried to bomb him he'd kill me while my character would fumble in the interface and bomb-equipping animations, only to of course wildly miss because the bomb has to be aimed manually, doesn't lock on or anything. I wish it was just "press B to throw bomb at targeted enemy" and it just worked.

I finally managed to save up the 300 gold I needed to buy a better silver sword. Had the same sword I started the game with until now at level 11. 300 gold was hard, a lot of plant harvesting at 1 gold each. It's a LOT better.