Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Uncle Wemus posted:

I finally got around to playing Axiom Verge and its ok, the controls are pretty tight. It does seem to use too many of those super tall areas with small platforms you have to jump up or down and if you miss you fall too far. That and enemies are bullet sponges and the later ones are super demanding of precision in attacks. Somehow though La Mulana didn't feel as demanding and yet was still a more difficult game.

Also I don't know how to describe the art style. Cronenberg-esque?

Does it still have that ear destroying beep that never turns off while you're on low life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So the Bloodstained Kickstarter page is showing off shaders

Personally, I like the first set more. The second is just way too bright to me.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 4, 2015

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So the Bloodstained Kickstarter page is showing off shaders

Personally, I like the first set more. The second is just way too bright to me.

You beat me to it.

I just think it's funny that it already looks more interesting than the design of MN9.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I'm shader 2 for life. The first one is unremarkable to me. Nothin' special. I think the second is unique and the slightly washed-out look makes it look almost like it's carved in stone.

I'll be lame and say I'd like to see a standard cel-shaded look.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I'm shader 2 for life. The first one is unremarkable to me. Nothin' special. I think the second is unique and the slightly washed-out look makes it look almost like it's carved in stone.

I'll be lame and say I'd like to see a standard cel-shaded look.

Standard cel-shading is pretty awesome. Wind Waker and Tales of Vesperia still look really good like a decade later.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The first one is warmer and makes her look more human, but the second one is closer to her concept art and fits the whole "like a porcelain doll with stained-glass inserts" thing she had going. I like both!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

You beat me to it.

I just think it's funny that it already looks more interesting than the design of MN9.

The general art design is already better. It's clearly budget but it doesn't look as 'early XBLA' as MN9 does.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I like the first one better. Washed-out is... ehhhh.

e: I do like the hatch lines, though.

The Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 4, 2015

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The first set of shaders more closely resembles the oddly saturated blue-and-orange color schemes of the NES Castlevania's. I'm not a fan of the way the second set of shaders look mainly because the backgrounds look comparatively flat and uninteresting. If they can push the color and brightness contrast, then I can see it working out. I do like the paler skin Miriam has, though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

The first one is warmer and makes her look more human, but the second one is closer to her concept art and fits the whole "like a porcelain doll with stained-glass inserts" thing she had going. I like both!

Yeah, looking at it, Miriam looks better with the second, but the area looks darker and more castlevania-y with the first.

A little column A, a little column B would be best, at least for me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The second set remind me of the fan 'corrected' images of Diablo 3 by people butthurt over it having actual colours.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Should also mention that they're going to be showing off four total shaders this month, two more later on, and that they're accepting feedback on the first two here.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Locomalito, the creator of freeware indie games like Hydorah and Maldita Castilla, has a new game - it's called The Curse of Issyos and it's modeled after 8-bit action games, with Castlevania being an obvious influence (or more specifically, Vampire Killer MSX). Donators got it early, everyone else will be able to get it next week; as with all his games, it's "donationware" ie pay what you want, if you feel like it.

Here are the first two stages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHHzV-RYKKc

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like #2 could work if they were a bit more ambitious with it, but as-is it feels like it just doesn't go far enough to make the hatched/washed-out look work. #1 is a "safer" bet but it seems to come together a bit better than #2 as it is now.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I think they should go for whatever they want and try and buck the castlevania name

This is Bloodstained, not Castlevania

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Smoking Crow posted:

I think they should go for whatever they want and try and buck the castlevania name

This is Bloodstained, not Castlevania

why would they want to sell less copies?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Volt Catfish posted:

why would they want to sell less copies?

I'd prefer a better game than the last few castlevanias

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Define last few. If you seriously count pachinko then lol.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

I'd prefer a better game than the last few castlevanias

Are you smack-talking OOE

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maybe he means LoS 2 and the sidescroller set in the LoS universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

OoE is over three Castlevania ago.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

TheKingofSprings posted:

i am

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Maybe he means LoS 2 and the sidescroller set in the LoS universe.

those don't count

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I, for one, think Order of Ecclesia 2: Bloodstained looks great so far and think everything they've shown thus far is brilliant.

Also, Order of Ecclesia is fantastic and one of my favorites. I'm also of the opinion that there is no bad Igavania- even Harmony of Dissonance, although it's clearly not as good as the others in the series. Take that as you will.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Grimace posted:

I, for one, think Order of Ecclesia 2: Bloodstained looks great so far and think everything they've shown thus far is brilliant.

Also, Order of Ecclesia is fantastic and one of my favorites. I'm also of the opinion that there is no bad Igavania- even Harmony of Dissonance, although it's clearly not as good as the others in the series. Take that as you will.

I didn't like HoD, but sure: they're all dense games worth some time. Bloodstained will hopefully be similar!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

now is the time of your demise

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Shanoa is the morning sun, come to banish this horrible night.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Locomalito, the creator of freeware indie games like Hydorah and Maldita Castilla, has a new game - it's called The Curse of Issyos and it's modeled after 8-bit action games, with Castlevania being an obvious influence (or more specifically, Vampire Killer MSX). Donators got it early, everyone else will be able to get it next week; as with all his games, it's "donationware" ie pay what you want, if you feel like it.

Here are the first two stages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHHzV-RYKKc

Available now! http://www.locomalito.com/curse_of_issyos.php

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I played a bit of this yesterday and it's quite good! Definitely worth a download.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Similar to Maldita Castila, you have to clear the game without using any continues to see how many secrets you found at the end.

In my first full run i found all the keys and saved hephaestus, but my dead daughter still got owned by medusa, LMAO. rip

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The most anyone's found yet online seems to be 48/50 secrets.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Bloodstained gave us an update and I swear everytime they gave us a new picture of Miriam her breasts have gotten larger.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I remember her being flat-chested initially. Now I think she's rocking D's.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Bloodstained gave us an update and I swear everytime they gave us a new picture of Miriam her breasts have gotten larger.

You better not be complaining :btroll:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Genocyber posted:

You better not be complaining

A particular breast size isn't really troubling- the motives behind a change may very well be, especially given the setting, audience, medium and history.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

For reference:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
not quite flat but definitely used to be smaller, yeah

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

not quite flat but definitely used to be smaller, yeah

She was always pretty stacked

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
if a change did happen and i'm not just blind it definitely wasn't a recent change yeah

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

A particular breast size isn't really troubling- the motives behind a change may very well be, especially given the setting, audience, medium and history.

its called puberty Miriam is just growing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
in a series as predominantly about hot guys as castlevania i think miriam is good