Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Frankenoodle posted:

I only have five purifiers, but the same issue. I go on quests for days, come back and nothing. At first, I thought it was because I had them on land due to a bug that let me put them there, but I put them back in the water and still nothing. My settlement says "200 water" no matter where I put them, so being on land probably isn't what made them not work, because they aren't working now, either.

This is a dumb question, but: you've run power to them, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

twistedmentat posted:

... Jamaica Planes. Which for the record has a stupidly small area to build in...

I keep seeing thia come up and really it's not at all true. I'm on my mobile at the moment so no pics, but if you make use of the ruined building with the workshop and power armor frame as your foundation you can build quite a nice lil vertical complex. The trick is to realise that the building ruin itself a.)has several usefull snap-to points for tiles/building components and b.) Using the concrete foundation blocks and other tiles/components allows you a lot of freedom to clip through geometry and snap stuff together in places and ways you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

Besesoth posted:

This is a dumb question, but: you've run power to them, right?

If I hadn't, my settlement wouldn't say I have 200 water.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Quantum Cat posted:

I keep seeing thia come up and really it's not at all true. I'm on my mobile at the moment so no pics, but if you make use of the ruined building with the workshop and power armor frame as your foundation you can build quite a nice lil vertical complex. The trick is to realise that the building ruin itself a.)has several usefull snap-to points for tiles/building components and b.) Using the concrete foundation blocks and other tiles/components allows you a lot of freedom to clip through geometry and snap stuff together in places and ways you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

It does have a stupidly small size limit though, by the time I reached the height limit with my tower, I had just enough left over to build just enough beds and food for my 5 or so settlers, and put down enough turrets to protect them.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Also I took all the great treasures and put them around baby shaun's crib to encourage him to grow up to be a superstar athlete that I could mooch off of but the second I put them down they fell through the earth and are gone forever. :rip:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Speedball posted:

There's a dead protectron in a pool of its own oil next to a relay antenna, and on its body I found a Rail Spike. Did the Railroad kill him, and why? Curious.

Maybe it fell in love with the antenna.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I just have no idea what "provisioners" are anymore. I used to think they were the settlers that get renamed once you have them run supply lines...

Then, I read somewhere that provisioners were special traders that you can assign to shops. I found that because the settlers weren't attending the shop I made. It worked at first. I have a provisioner in Sanctuary manning a shop. Two actually, though the weapons shop lady just stands outside her house and doesn't actually go to her stand.

My trade/supply lines are fine, so I'm just :psyduck: about it. Maybe I glitched something?

I thought maybe settlers who ran shops got renamed too, but I set up shops in a town last night and managed to set a "normal" settler on it. Maybe he'll be renamed when I come back.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I don't think anyone knows how settlements work at this point.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I put normal settlers on my level 3 armor/weapon shops because Smiling Larry and the Scribe will never show up, and they remained "settlers" all the time. I think your game just broke or something :v:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
The only thing I know for sure about settlements is the best thing you can do in any of them is to set up a goddamned bell because it's almost always better than wasting time trying to find them.

Also just build loving turrets, don't waste time making guard posts and poo poo.

orcane posted:

I put normal settlers on my level 3 armor/weapon shops because Smiling Larry and the Scribe will never show up, and they remained "settlers" all the time. I think your game just broke or something :v:

Yeah I have no idea. Maybe I did break a supply line, didn't notice, and the settler never got named back. :xd: I do have shops that normal settlers own.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Two more things:

1) I don't quite understand how the region of influence works. I imagine it's supposed to grow with population, but /shrug.

2) I think it's really sick how the game often will not tell you (especially if you sleep) if settlements are under attack. I was really fortunate I had a quick save right after finishing Vault 81. If I nap or quick travel, it's too much time and Sanctuary loses all non-named settlers. I literally had to run on foot to Sanctuary from there and got there in time to punch a huge contingent of raiders in their stupid faces. All settlers saved.

On the other hand, I've had some settlements I've never helped where settlers will come up to me and say "heh, we sure showed those raiders that thought we'd be easy pickings".

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol I just realized you had to pull the bottlecaps out of the individual workshops in each settlement to collect the "tax" or whatever. 1000s of caps just laying around my towns!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yeah, other than maintaining a nice "look" for your settlement, never build guard posts or whatever. The only reason not to build turrets is running out of gears or oil and even then only as a temporary fix.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The only thing that surprises me about settlements is that there are people who actually waste time on them. I actively get mad when quests make me interact with the base building mechanics because they are hot loving garbage.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
County Crossing is always under attack in my game. Any time I travel there or I'm on a long quest, County Crossing needs my help. I get there, 2 mosquitos and the turrets obliterate them, if I don't show up all the food resources are destroyed but turrets just chugging away.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
The shops you build seem to have shared inventory even between settlements now and I'm pretty sure they didn't a while ago?

Like, I use a LOT of .308 ammo and a few weeks ago I seem to recall I could just fast travel around the settlements with lvl3 gunshops and buy 100-150 rounds from each but now I just find the 1000 .38 bullets I traded in the first gunshop at the other shops instead.

Anyone else notice this? Am I misremembering? Did I just get lucky and the stores reset during fast travel time earlier?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

The only thing that surprises me about settlements is that there are people who actually waste time on them. I actively get mad when quests make me interact with the base building mechanics because they are hot loving garbage.

You eventually run out of stuff to actually do in the main map of the game, beyond exploring mostly empty setpieces. Settlements give you something to do and a steady stream of experience for all the crafting with useless materials you find lying around, while waiting for mobs to respawn.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Frankenoodle posted:

If I hadn't, my settlement wouldn't say I have 200 water.

Your settlement's giving you 200 water off five purifiers that work even if you put them on land. I'm not making any assumptions.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

It's kinda relaxing building settlement stuff after a lot of combat, the building system could use some good polishing whoever

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

frajaq posted:

It's kinda relaxing building settlement stuff after a lot of combat, the building system could use some good polishing whoever

That's pretty much all I use it for. Raiding dungeons for 2 or so hours, then a half hour of settlement time to bring myself down, haha.

The UI needs a serious rework, as does job assigning. I can't even figure out who's assigned what on Spectacle Island because I made such a huge base and can't see the settlers assigned jobs because of placement sometimes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm loving the settlement building myself. I just wish some things were improved, like if I hover over a settler could the game just please throw some text up saying ASSIGNED: NONE or ASSIGNED: CORN (12) or some poo poo without requiring me to circlestrafe and see if any resources light up when I'm hovering over them? Part of me wonders if someone tried to code this in but then the game world imploded for some reason and they couldn't fix it so they figured "gently caress it"

Speaking of settlement attacks, my Covenant got attacked by a deathclaw and a Legendary Deathclaw last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg8Ve2xeO_I

I didn't notice til re-watching the video that I probably could've just watched; those three settlers had the regular DC near death before I even got to him.

I barely have any defenses beyond a single wall + guard post to keep anyone from shooting directly into the town through the door, because all that's inside is 18 scavenging stations, and if anyone wants to get in and tangle, they'll be met by the best-armed and armored settlers in the whole wasteland. Legendary weapons and armor for all!

edit: That little nook where you get interviewed holds the bodies of all who dare to attack Covenant. I was proud to spend 10 minutes dragging bits of exploded Deathclaw over to add to the pile.

Also, After finding out Lucas was an Institute snitch, I killed him and his guards, added his guards to the mass grave, and set up a bathtub in front of Covenant to display his body as an example of what happens to snitches. I'd have crucified or otherwise nailed his body up on a wall if I could've.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 9, 2015

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
settlements seem like they are more or less a good mix of tangible rewards like purified water and the money you get from purified water and easy access to benches and shops and all that stuff haveing mechanical unlock systems then a pretty opened ended system to make sweet houses that it doesn't grade you on that you can engage or not engage in. It's far from perfect but I feel like the game is much better having this system than it'd be if it didn't have it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I had no idea water purifiers gave you water at all and just assumed they were just big water factories more efficient than just dumping a bunch of pumps.

Either I dmped a lot of armor and weapons in Greygarden and the DriveIn, or the last patch has workshops sharing weapon and armor now also if they are connected?

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
RE: water not being deposited in workshops

I googled it and found out I'm not the only person with this issue. This guy from Reddit did some science about the issue.

My own hypothesis after reading his post is as follows: there is a cap on how many resources a settlement will produce. I have hundreds of food from farming mutfruit, corn, and tatos plus dumping all my food I scavenge from the wasteland into my workshop at Sanctuary.

Another thought is perhaps a global cap on water produced? I have purifiers set up at the Castle, but haven't cleaned out that workbench.

To test, I am going to pull everything out of Sanctuary and transfer it to an undeveloped settlement (the lighthouse), which is linked but has no settlers, no crops, and no water source.

Then wait/sleep in Sanctuary to see if H2O shows up. If not, then I will check out the castle and remove water and try Sanctuary again.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

gromdul posted:

RE: water not being deposited in workshops

I googled it and found out I'm not the only person with this issue. This guy from Reddit did some science about the issue.

My own hypothesis after reading his post is as follows: there is a cap on how many resources a settlement will produce. I have hundreds of food from farming mutfruit, corn, and tatos plus dumping all my food I scavenge from the wasteland into my workshop at Sanctuary.

Another thought is perhaps a global cap on water produced? I have purifiers set up at the Castle, but haven't cleaned out that workbench.

To test, I am going to pull everything out of Sanctuary and transfer it to an undeveloped settlement (the lighthouse), which is linked but has no settlers, no crops, and no water source.

Then wait/sleep in Sanctuary to see if H2O shows up. If not, then I will check out the castle and remove water and try Sanctuary again.

You can always just put it in a box instead of the workshop.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

settlement building seems implemented so poorly. you can't really trust that your settlement is working the way it's supposed to because all the information is presented so awfully if it's presented at all and the interface is implemented in the laziest way and is objectively bad

to top it off, it has no impact on the game anyway. i remember in the e3 presentation they said you can ignore it entirely if you want to, and you really can. which is odd for something that's one of the biggest features to set this game apart from previous fallouts. i would have preferred they not even bother, and redirect the time and labor to something else, like more and better quests.

that being said, i built a four-level apartment complex at starlight drive using the movie screen as a back wall, and turned sanctuary into a ramshackle paradise. jamaica plains is a walled off fortress and i want to someday set aside the time to make something interesting at kingsport lighthouse. the idea of civilizing the wastes is pretty compelling to me. i wish they did it better or not at all

edit: speaking of settlements, stopped by at the slog on my way to rescue someone from dunwich borers AGAIN and wiseman said something like 'hey are you looking for arlen? he finished building his toy horse and said he was going off to do other things. he seemed to have a satisfied look in his eyes. thanks, for whatever you did for him'. so i go to that little shack to the side where arlen was tinkering with the horse toy, and there was his headless corpse sprawled next to the toys. the mystery will haunt me.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 9, 2015

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I'm not particularly fond of ghouls, but I'm glad I didn't blow Arlen's head off when I first approached him. His little side-story is very touching and has had a far more emotional impact on me than finding my son.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I will say the first thing I built was a glorious 3 floor shack on the foundation of the lovely house near the workshop in Sanctuary. I used no prefabs and build it piece by piece and put a slew of beds in there. I keep hoping it'll eventually fill so I can build another but as of now not even the third floor is filled (I put the beds up there with the idea of expanding down when it fills). I will say though that once I built it, most of the settlers abandoned the beds I put in the real houses and slept there.

Though I will say that took time to figure out the mechanics of house building and I had a premade foundation. Now I just usually throw up large shacks and put as many beds as I can in them because:
- In most settlements there's no room for a giant house
- Foundations are criminally expensive
- :effort:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I'm loving the settlement building myself. I just wish some things were improved, like if I hover over a settler could the game just please throw some text up saying ASSIGNED: NONE or ASSIGNED: CORN (12) or some poo poo without requiring me to circlestrafe and see if any resources light up when I'm hovering over them? Part of me wonders if someone tried to code this in but then the game world imploded for some reason and they couldn't fix it so they figured "gently caress it"

Speaking of settlement attacks, my Covenant got attacked by a deathclaw and a Legendary Deathclaw last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg8Ve2xeO_I

I didn't notice til re-watching the video that I probably could've just watched; those three settlers had the regular DC near death before I even got to him.

I barely have any defenses beyond a single wall + guard post to keep anyone from shooting directly into the town through the door, because all that's inside is 18 scavenging stations, and if anyone wants to get in and tangle, they'll be met by the best-armed and armored settlers in the whole wasteland. Legendary weapons and armor for all!

edit: That little nook where you get interviewed holds the bodies of all who dare to attack Covenant. I was proud to spend 10 minutes dragging bits of exploded Deathclaw over to add to the pile.

Also, After finding out Lucas was an Institute snitch, I killed him and his guards, added his guards to the mass grave, and set up a bathtub in front of Covenant to display his body as an example of what happens to snitches. I'd have crucified or otherwise nailed his body up on a wall if I could've.

Settlements make me so happy. The road to Sanctuary is a series of militia checkpoints that begin at the newly fortified Red Rocket station, overseen by the overlapping artillery batteries of nearby farms. The checkpoints are manned by settlers on guard posts on either side of the road, in Minutemen uniforms and either berets or militia hats and armed with upgraded assault rifles & various unique weapons. The bridge into Sanctuary is lined on the Sanctuary side with steel walls that extend down the street through a twin guard tower checkpoint. It all leads up to the town proper and final, well armed checkpoint with Deacon, Macready and Strong on guard duty, backed by heavy laser turrets. Bronze lions on either side lie in front of the towers and a bronze minuteman in the center in front of a guard post. Caravans are invited to stay at the Caravan post outside the final checkpoint, with other amenities on hand. In the town proper are the real prize, fully staffed emporiums with rank 4 merchants (where possible). As the brotherhood are a bunch of bigoted curs, it necessitates a degree of anti-air defenses to deal with pesky Vertibird insertions. The town is defended with overlapping arcs of missile turrets. It feels good to be the General.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Talmonis posted:

Settlements make me so happy. The road to Sanctuary is a series of militia checkpoints that begin at the newly fortified Red Rocket station, overseen by the overlapping artillery batteries of nearby farms. The checkpoints are manned by settlers on guard posts on either side of the road, in Minutemen uniforms and either berets or militia hats and armed with upgraded assault rifles & various unique weapons. The bridge into Sanctuary is lined on the Sanctuary side with steel walls that extend down the street through a twin guard tower checkpoint. It all leads up to the town proper and final, well armed checkpoint with Deacon, Macready and Strong on guard duty, backed by heavy laser turrets. Bronze lions on either side lie in front of the towers and a bronze minuteman in the center in front of a guard post. Caravans are invited to stay at the Caravan post outside the final checkpoint, with other amenities on hand. In the town proper are the real prize, fully staffed emporiums with rank 4 merchants (where possible). As the brotherhood are a bunch of bigoted curs, it necessitates a degree of anti-air defenses to deal with pesky Vertibird insertions. The town is defended with overlapping arcs of missile turrets. It feels good to be the General.

this sounds fun as poo poo.

The settlement building is really about how much you put into it I guess. I haven't really done much with walls and towers because I often just wanna build turrets to keep raiders away long enough for me to get my poo poo together.

Maybe I will start walling off poo poo.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

this sounds fun as poo poo.

The settlement building is really about how much you put into it I guess. I haven't really done much with walls and towers because I often just wanna build turrets to keep raiders away long enough for me to get my poo poo together.

Maybe I will start walling off poo poo.

It really is a blast. I got raided last night by the Brotherhood, and only realized it when I heard the Sanctuary air-raid siren (yes, you can build an air-raid siren) go off from where I was working at Red Rocket. I wasn't needed, as they all died before I could get stuck in. Rockets got the Vertibirds, turrets got the power armored knight that landed and the last standing Knight was stabbed to death by Hancock in full (hot pink of course) T-51d power armor weilding that Cultist sword from Dunwich.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Do attacks on settlements consistently spawn in the same places? Are there specific spawn points for different kinds of enemies? Has anyone compiled a list yet?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lotta "You can just ignore settlements entirely, they're the worst, they shouldn't have bothered!" posts

What do you want, for them to make settlement building mandatory to some/any degree? Then we'd have a thread full of posts like "Settlement building is the worst, why are they forcing me to do settlement things?" We already have people who are annoyed that they have to do any of that in the slightest degree.

I and plenty of other people are really enjoying it. Guess what, if you don't like it you can totally ignore it and it has no effect on your game. I'd call that a pretty good compromise.

hahahahaha jfc gamers have got to be the worst customers in any industry

Talmonis posted:

Dude that is badass. I've also built out Red Rocket to be a forward outpost/checkpoint that needs to be passed on the way into Sanctuary, but I've walled off about 2/3 of the town and the only entry point is a corridor that makes a 90-degree turn bristling with turrets, traps, and heavily-armed guards.

Anyone know of any way to equip an NPC with power armor without making them a companion? If not, I might just leave a ton of power armors + fusion cores in Covenant just to make things even more ridiculous, so they can suit up whenever they feel like it, and I won't care if they lose them because I'm way more effective out of PA than in it

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 9, 2015

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

i'm saying that settlements should be a more integral part of the game, and also better. as it is, it feels like a side game with poorly communicated effects. i don't think "you can completely ignore an entire aspect of the game" is particularly good design. i thought i made it clear that i was having fun with settlements regardless, i just wish it were to a greater end, but i guess you missed that.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, just got a question about a bug I believe I'm experiencing, regarding Covenant. I heard someone mention the place ingame (so I got a marker for the location - no quest or anything though), and now I've finally gotten around to visiting, after completing the main storyline. However I was let in immediately with the guy at the gate (Swanson or something?) just going 'yeah you're all sorted, you can go through now'. That and a couple of other things seemed odd; such as someone in the town named "Honest Dan" not being anywhere to be found (or not saying anything if I console him in) made me suspicious of bugs.
I looked it up and apparently it's a known bug for people who have completed the main questline before investigating the place - however is there any way of getting around it and initiating the quest so I can spawn Dan and get the investigation going? I've tried a variety of console commands such as 'setstage', 'resetquest' and even 'completequest' followed by 'resetquest' etc, to no effect. :( Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, as it looks like this quest is quite interesting, so I don't want to miss out if possible

so i'm in the same boat, having only found covenant after beating the game. i played through the quest on a second character, so knowing where to proceed, i went into the dungeon on my first character. basically the quest is hopelessly broken if you're at that point. all the guards are passive, the npc you rescue does nothing. you can kill everyone and no one really reacts unless they witness you doing the deed. however, when you return to covenant all the villagers are hostile and once you clear them out you can claim the workshop and turn the place into a normal settlement with limbs and corpses scattered everywhere.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Mr. Pumroy posted:

so i'm in the same boat, having only found covenant after beating the game. i played through the quest on a second character, so knowing where to proceed, i went into the dungeon on my first character. basically the quest is hopelessly broken if you're at that point. all the guards are passive, the npc you rescue does nothing. you can kill everyone and no one really reacts unless they witness you doing the deed. however, when you return to covenant all the villagers are hostile and once you clear them out you can claim the workshop and turn the place into a normal settlement with limbs and corpses scattered everywhere.

God dammit. :( I made sure I broke into every safe and hacked every PC too, to see if some tidbit of information would fire the quest for me. Oh well, looks like it's something for Character #2 I suppose

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i just wish it were to a greater end, but i guess you missed that.

The only thing Bethesda could do to make the settlements matter more is to give them optional effects on gameplay, environment, and story. Maybe influencing the outcome of some of the ending slides (I dunno if the ending slides even exist, since this is a Bethesda FO I seriously doubt it), anything beyond that and you have a mountain of players bitching that they feel like they're being forced to build settlements if they want to get X or Y. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I wish that the higher the population and closer you are to the build cap in a settlement, the stronger the attacking forces and frequency. I'd content myself just defending, upgrading and rebuilding settlements all night.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

The only thing Bethesda could do to make the settlements matter more is to give them optional effects on gameplay, environment, and story. Maybe influencing the outcome of some of the ending slides (I dunno if the ending slides even exist, since this is a Bethesda FO I seriously doubt it), anything beyond that and you have a mountain of players bitching that they feel like they're being forced to build settlements if they want to get X or Y. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The artillery is kind of an effect on gameplay

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Mr Cuddles posted:

The artillery is kind of an effect on gameplay

Yeah it does. When assaulting Gunner command (GNN headquarters), bringing the rain really helps deal with the entrenched men on the various levels of the building's exterior.

It also makes the racetrack fight hysterical. Shell the radio station and watch all the triggermen bodyparts fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Maybe I haven't gotten there yet, but if you could grow a settlement's "influence" farther and farther until they all overlapped that would be cool. Like if someone really wanted to go full sperg and sit in Sanctuary building it up until the walk to their next nearest objective (whatever farm) was safe because they've got turrets and towers and walls all the way there, that'd be kinda cool.

But then the game would also be more like a RTS than a FPS.

• Locked thread