Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Otisburg posted:

watched the despecialized edition of Star Wars with my daughter last night. the pacing is much better at a tight two hours without all the weird rightly-cut scenes thrown back in. it's cool for jabba to be a uh... phantom menace only hinted at till the third one.

i'm a cynical af goon, but there's something just MAGICAL about watching a 5-year old enraptured by a 40 year old movie that's captured the imagination of generations.

she wants to watch the rest, also wants me to buy x-wing so we can play. I think she can deal with a really basic version (no ship text, no upgrades, just maneuvers and attacks)

Too bad the despecialized edition has a bunch of terrible cargo cult choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Too bad the despecialized edition has a bunch of terrible cargo cult choices.

Like what? I thought it was just supposed to be as close to the original theatrical release as possible.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Despite a few Mary Sue moments with Dash and the weird rear end rapey scene with Xizor, Shadows of the Empire is actually a good story that feels super Star Wars-y and I kinda hope they do something with it

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Aftermath already exists so the new EU is just as bad as the old already.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chill la Chill posted:

Aftermath already exists so the new EU is just as bad as the old already.

Having not read Aftermath, what's wrong with it?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Xenomrph posted:

Having not read Aftermath, what's wrong with it?

Trying way to hard to make Star Wars gritty and realistic

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Like what? I thought it was just supposed to be as close to the original theatrical release as possible.

I'm curious, too. The one thing that stuck out at me was the weird choice to use literal still frames for some of the static establishing shots, which would have looked a lot less out of the place if some subtle simulated film grain noise were thrown over them. But that was like 9 seconds of a 2 hour runtime.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I want to watch ROTJ without Jedi Rocks and with Yub Nub, is that too much to ask.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tender Bender posted:

I want to watch ROTJ without Jedi Rocks and with Yub Nub, is that too much to ask.

Yub Nub covers needs to become a trend on Youtube

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yub Nub covers needs to become a trend on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrxP2f6CmiY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzYJmCy_Aqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWD1ALZN90E

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Death metal and honky tonk covers are sorely lacking from this group, imo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Seriously, a weird upbeat musical number just destroys the atmosphere of Jabba's dank flesh den of weird monsters. And Yub Nub is my jam. And changing Ghost Annikan to a weird kid Luke never met and wouldn't recognize was bad, like, not good!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

During the behind the scenes video of the despecialized version they showed that they kept the cardboard cutouts for people in the throne room in ANH. Seems like a silly thing to keep.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Booblord Zagats posted:

Despite a few Mary Sue moments with Dash and the weird rear end rapey scene with Xizor, Shadows of the Empire is actually a good story that feels super Star Wars-y and I kinda hope they do something with it

I am not reading Shadows of the Empire because it always looked like a Mary Sue writ large (and in the SW EU that's impressive). So please, for my edification, tell me what Xizor did to Dash Rendarr's butt.

Otisburg posted:

Seriously, a weird upbeat musical number just destroys the atmosphere of Jabba's dank flesh den of weird monsters. And Yub Nub is my jam. And changing Ghost Annikan to a weird kid Luke never met and wouldn't recognize was bad, like, not good!

When they were playing the stormtroopers' helmets like bongos after taking a bunch of them hostage. What happened there? Did those horrible little creatures EAT all the Jangos? Or just put them in a big pit filled with pointy sticks? Whatever happened, it implies their sentence was summary.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

phasmid posted:

I am not reading Shadows of the Empire because it always looked like a Mary Sue writ large (and in the SW EU that's impressive). So please, for my edification, tell me what Xizor did to Dash Rendarr's butt.

He tried to use pheromones and changing his skin colors to music as a way to date rape Leia

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Booblord Zagats posted:

He tried to use pheromones and changing his skin colors to music as a way to date rape Leia

I was told there would be assrape. I see no assrape. :mad:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SaltLick posted:

During the behind the scenes video of the despecialized version they showed that they kept the cardboard cutouts for people in the throne room in ANH. Seems like a silly thing to keep.

Not at all, IMO. The whole mission statement is to restore it as much as possible to a high-fidelity version of the film released in 1977.

Also the "cardboard cutouts" thing is an oft-repeated bit of apocrypha. It was a matte painting added in post. The whole point of "despecializing" is to restore all those matte paintings and gnarly analogue model composites and stuff that were state of the art at the time so the theatrical version can be appreciated as a cultural artifact.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

phasmid posted:

Weird-rear end rapey, not weird rear end-rapey. I apologize

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Dash Rendar is Poochie as gently caress. He's Han Solo through the lens of a Mountain Dew commercial.

What bugs me about SoTe and Dash is that clearly there was some kind of writer's room meeting where they were like "Okay, we need a rogue sort of hero, like Han Solo, and a cool souped-up freighter like the Millenium Falcon."

Bitch, you have Lando with the actual Falcon, doing nothing much until he infiltrates Jabba's palace. Use him!

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Otisburg posted:

Dash Rendar is Poochie as gently caress. He's Han Solo through the lens of a Mountain Dew commercial.

What bugs me about SoTe and Dash is that clearly there was some kind of writer's room meeting where they were like "Okay, we need a rogue sort of hero, like Han Solo, and a cool souped-up freighter like the Millenium Falcon."

Bitch, you have Lando with the actual Falcon, doing nothing much until he infiltrates Jabba's palace. Use him!

They needed him to be buff and tough, I guess

Also, Lando on Rebels is an absolutely PERFECT rear end in a top hat to everyone. Easily the best episode

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Booblord Zagats posted:

Weird-rear end rapey, not weird rear end-rapey. I apologize

drat. Here I was thinking canon had let slip.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Otisburg posted:

yeah and as you know. outside the video game, he doesn't do poo poo. he acts like a petty oval office, then he fucks up(but realy doesn't) gets depressed, then "dies". loving wedge Antilles does more for the story then dash does. I remember as a kid who was hyped as gently caress for shadow of the empire, wondering when the gently caress dash was gonna be a badass hero. then it never happens.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Coolest Looking EU Ship
My votes goes to the

YT-2000

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/YT-2000_light_freighter

or

R-41 Starchaser

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/R-41_Starchaser

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

phasmid posted:

Who knows what exactly he had planned for Leia?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Jurgan posted:

Who knows what exactly he had planned for Leia?

Give her the ol 'Falleen Shocker Beast'

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TIE Interceptor, duh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I kind of like the Cloakshape. It has that greebly WWII vibe, but goes a different direction with it, making it look sort of like a mutant hybrid P-38 lightning/wunderwafffe flying wing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Otisburg posted:

I never thought about this. We could've had N64 Shadows of the Empire starring Lando!

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Booblord Zagats posted:

Trying way to hard to make Star Wars gritty and realistic

..and doing so in the same book with Mr. Bones.

Lost Stars was a good read, though.

Dash and the Outrider get a pass from me because they're so loving good in the X-Wing miniatures game. Sure, I'll take a large ship that can barrel-roll and sit on top of asteroids because gently caress your TIE swarm.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My favorite part of Shadows of the Empire is the Vader ex Machina ending, it's great. Vader gets to save his kid, obliterate a rival, flex Executor, and generally be a really cool guy.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

TIE Interceptor, duh.

Interceptors are canon, you Overweight Glob Of Grease

Otisburg posted:

I kind of like the Cloakshape. It has that greebly WWII vibe, but goes a different direction with it, making it look sort of like a mutant hybrid P-38 lightning/wunderwafffe flying wing.

Good pick. I like it. I think i like the R-41 because it's a space MR2

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

As a lazy chubby kid I couldn't wait for the real world to invent Xizor's special chair that electronically stimulated his muscles so he got a workout while just sitting at his computer, and I'm still waiting.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Tender Bender posted:

As a lazy chubby kid I couldn't wait for the real world to invent Xizor's special chair that electronically stimulated his muscles so he got a workout while just sitting at his computer, and I'm still waiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaervcoooyE

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My vote is for the Tie Phantom. I had such a dumb crush on Ru Murleen

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm posting from the Awful app or I'd link direct wiki articles, but I always liked the Bantha-class troop carrier assault shuttle from the Rogue squadron comics for being :black101: as gently caress, and there's a little Mon Cal light freighter from the old West End Games RPG that looked sweet.

If we're going snubfighters, TIE Defender 4 lyfe

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 9, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Nobody likes the k-wing.

I personally like the TIE Avenger. That thing is pretty cool.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Nobody likes the k-wing.

External hard points are not my starwar

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I didn't say I liked it.

Also the yv666 is a brick without charm

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Hapan Miy'til was my favorite growing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Hapan stuff always felt more Star Trek to me than Star Wars

• Locked thread