Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm trying the 2-day demo of it, and I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at how things are going. It's the small things that make a difference, like how you can group people together in actions and conversations rather than having everyone talk individually, which makes parties SO much easier.

Before I buy this, is the going to work expansion great, or is it just a timewaster? I accidentally started in the "empty lot" place so I'm curious how it will work out

E. Also, I know that the other places in the neighborhood are zoned, but do they still age along with you like in Sims 3?

They still age with you, but it's more "static". Like, they don't pair off into families and get jobs and stuff in the background. The game just generates singles and families, with pre-set jobs or whatever, and sticks them in houses (or not), and they remain pretty static in those states, as far as I understand.

You get the semi-amusing side effect of houses owned by ghosts after a generation or so, and then you have to go clean up in the neighborhood editor.

e: Get To Work has a lot of cool unlocks and stuff, and the aliens are kinda fun, but yeah the active jobs feel like a real grind. They unlock a ton of cool furniture and poo poo, though, so it's kind of a trade-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I wish they would just add weather instead of always waiting for the fifth expansion. It just makes things so much more atmospheric, having snow and rain on the ground and whatnot.

Like, I can't go back to The Sims 3, with the jank and long load times and non-multitasking. But drat do I miss the features from the later expansions. It's always the last few that add the best features.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Some multitasking things were present in Sims 3, you could talk or watch TV or whatever while doing other things. But it was never presented in a way that really out a nail on it. I'm honestly enjoying socialization more in S4 since it doesn't require you to queue up sixty conversation queues for every person in the room, it feels a lot more natural

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

e: I'm an idiot and it was listed under hidden games never mind

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 9, 2015

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
Based on LGR's review, Get Together looks like a buy for me. I'm not enthused about DJs and dancing, but the club mechanic looks like an excellent addition to the game.

deadly_pudding posted:

They still age with you, but it's more "static". Like, they don't pair off into families and get jobs and stuff in the background. The game just generates singles and families, with pre-set jobs or whatever, and sticks them in houses (or not), and they remain pretty static in those states, as far as I understand.

Deaderpool's MC Command Center does a good job of fixing this, by forcing unplayed Sims to actually have babies and all that, similar to Twallan's story progression mod for TS3.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

0lives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Dvo6GRy10
LGR has a review up. It sounds pretty good, if you've dreamt of cults like I always have.

The example cults clubs given five minutes in are :stare: alright. Child labor club where the rules are cleaning and no talking.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

mycot posted:

The example cults clubs given five minutes in are :stare: alright. Child labor club where the rules are cleaning and no talking.

Yeah I was going to pass this one up because I thought it was purely about dancing clubs with VIP restrictions, which was actually kinda terrible in TS3. This on the other hand is genius.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Chocolate Milk posted:

I'm not enthused about DJs and dancing

how can you not get hype over duke nukem leading a dance squad of hotdog men

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I can build my house on an island? This expansion just continues to look great.

lemonlime
May 1, 2008

:stare: Under Comfort>Beds, they've added flowering shrubs that sims can sleep and/or pee in.

Also, there's now the option to tell one sim that you're talking to that you think he would enjoy meeting some other sim in your Known Persons list, which is nice. Really, a few tweaks to the social interactions interface have made a surprising amount of difference. They've done well.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
This is honestly one of the better EPs that the sims team has put out in a long time. I really hope its setting the stage for really awesome stuff moving forward.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I really like the new improvements in the EPS but I wish publishers would get off the idea that everything should be priced $50. I paid that for the entirety of the game, alllll this stuff. And now it's paid over again for the sake of some new mechanics and items? That is steep

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I really like the new improvements in the EPS but I wish publishers would get off the idea that everything should be priced $50. I paid that for the entirety of the game, alllll this stuff. And now it's paid over again for the sake of some new mechanics and items? That is steep

The joys of a niche market with no competition at all.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
For most of The Sims' userbase, it's basically the only game they play. It's a lot like those train sims.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
I think Paradox would be the most likely publisher to try and compete but I can't think of any studios up to the task.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Trilin posted:

I think Paradox would be the most likely publisher to try and compete but I can't think of any studios up to the task.

And you just know they would make it so that you have to plan every single nutrient that goes into your kid's school lunches or he will die of scurvy.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Decided to splurge on the expansion and also finally patch the thing.

The 64-bit client ran like poo poo. On the 32-bit client the game defaulted to high settings. On 64 bit it decided that I need to run it on medium-low.

Turning the settings up to high made the game run like crap on the 64-bit client.

When I added the 64-bit client to the nvidia apps since I have both an intel and a nvidia card in my laptop, the game ran smoothly again.

Regardless, clubs are neat.
My uniform for my "Not A Cult" club is hooded robes. The members make out with each other, and are mean to outsiders. No kids allowed. Invite only. My male leader and all members are female.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Dec 11, 2015

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Can you make fight club? Like is there a rule to say no chatting?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Can you make fight club? Like is there a rule to say no chatting?

Yes.

You can make a club that just fights.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Dec 11, 2015

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Yeah, Get Together is pretty great. I really like the little features, like how
When you befriend a sim, if they're friends with any other sim you know,
they'll send you a text "I heard you're friends with Soandso, they're pretty cool! ++"

Also sims texting you congratulations when you get a promotion at work :3:

I really think this will be one of the best EPs for TS4- the clubs feature will
only get better as they add more content. Kennel clubs and cat fanciers for
the Get Fuzzy EP, for example :v:

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
My painting cult is off the ground.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I need this right now but can't get it until Tuesday. Making a Big Brother game will be a hilarious now, changing the rules every week and having fair competitions.

What I'm really looking forward to doing is: A big plot of land. Two household members. One has a club with with thin guys in lycra, the other, angry, fighty bodybuilders with ridiculous names.

Trilin posted:

:golfclap: on the name.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

No new lifestate?

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
The club system definitely adds a lot to gameplay. I haven't really made any crazy gangs/cults yet, but I've made a club for my elder Sim and her three younger adult siblings. They meet at the park every so often and have picnics and play music and chat, while her granddaughter plays chess with her friends. :allears: It makes social activities so much easier to manage, and gives them a dimension and purpose that wasn't really there before.

a7m2 posted:

No new lifestate?

Nope, none. Apart from aliens I've never really played other life states in any version of the Sims, so for me it's kind of a plus that they've put more effort into other content.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

The original plan as it was said for Get Together seemed terrible. The new hood is much better than that for Get to Work, and of course better than Newport. Newport was basically to get people to stop complaining about not having enough places to build, except they didn't put in an empty 50x50 lot.

They did not add a new occult life state to the game. It wouldn't have added anything to the expansion. As weird as it may seem, there's actually stuff to do that's just added onto the base gameplay. Being at a club gathering gives you a goal rather than just getting your motives up.

Customizing clubs is actually quite great with quite a vast array of options, even when it's just 5 things you want Sims to do, and 5 you don't want them to do.
A small problem with customizing clubs is you can't just make it males only or females only. You can make it invite only and just invite that one gender. Only the leader of a club can invite, which is a good thing. And you can choose the types of Sims you want in your club. Want it all being exact clones of your characters personality? You can do that. You just want elders and children in the club? You can do that. You want a club full of people who go around and breaking things? Go ahead, do that. And then also make them repair the stuff they break.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
I was thinking of a club that meets in some kind of toilet warehouse. They just sabotage and repair all day.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Trilin posted:

Someone forgot her hood! Get her!

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

IAmTheRad posted:

A small problem with customizing clubs is you can't just make it males only or females only. You can make it invite only and just invite that one gender.

Seems to me that the only reason to have actual restrictions on the type of Sim who can join the club (rather than just making it invite only) is because it might not be obvious who has a particular trait, who is a young adult, who has a particular skill, etc, and the restrictions identify that for you. But it's obvious in game whether Sims are male or female.

I also understand that with invite only you still get Sims requesting to join the club. So it's not like you need 'open invitation' to get random Sims involved. But I could be wrong about that, not entirely sure.

Another issue with the club system is the restriction to 8 members, but apparently there's already a mod out there to remove the restriction.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

mycot posted:

Someone forgot her hood! Get her!

dangit bobbie

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's funny how I keep falling into the pressure to max out skills rather than letting people live their lives, probably largely because the lifetime rewards are often tied to skills.

"Hey Janet, sure you can come over at our place, I won't see you though because I have to spend the next six hours locked in the Art Dungeon"

marjorie
May 4, 2014

I don't know if this is just me, but I feel like the new patch/expansion is really buggy. My sims keep interrupting themselves from finishing tasks and I'm not sure why. Like they'll be eating, and then suddenly go to pee even though their bar for that need is only partially depleted. Then they'll just sit down for a second and stand up without actually relieving themselves, AND they'll forget the prior eating task. Similar issues have happened when I instruct them to sleep. Every once in awhile, they'll just lay down then immediately get back up and go talk to someone, even though there are no disruptions (crying baby, red needs, sleep need satisfied, etc.). It's not 100% of the time, but it's often enough that I have to babysit all of them to make sure poo poo gets done, and I'm wary to queue more than one action at a time because they don't always complete them, they sometimes just start a task then immediately move on to the next one.

Also my cheat console window won't open for some reason (it's always worked before - I just use it for cas.fulleditmode).

I'm playing a brand new household that I created after the new expansion and I'm running no mods. Anyone else having similar issues? I haven't played much since the get to work expansion, but I don't remember these issues from then.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
I'm considering buying Sims 4 for a friend who only has a very standard laptop, is it likely to be able to play it?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

marjorie posted:

I don't know if this is just me, but I feel like the new patch/expansion is really buggy. My sims keep interrupting themselves from finishing tasks and I'm not sure why. Like they'll be eating, and then suddenly go to pee even though their bar for that need is only partially depleted. Then they'll just sit down for a second and stand up without actually relieving themselves, AND they'll forget the prior eating task. Similar issues have happened when I instruct them to sleep. Every once in awhile, they'll just lay down then immediately get back up and go talk to someone, even though there are no disruptions (crying baby, red needs, sleep need satisfied, etc.). It's not 100% of the time, but it's often enough that I have to babysit all of them to make sure poo poo gets done, and I'm wary to queue more than one action at a time because they don't always complete them, they sometimes just start a task then immediately move on to the next one.

Also my cheat console window won't open for some reason (it's always worked before - I just use it for cas.fulleditmode).

I'm playing a brand new household that I created after the new expansion and I'm running no mods. Anyone else having similar issues? I haven't played much since the get to work expansion, but I don't remember these issues from then.

I think it's the patch. I've had similar weird behavior without the new expansion.

Like I'll queue up "Shower then eat then toilet" interactions. The sim jumps in the shower, kind of half showers, goes to make food. Makes it, eats two bites not filling the hunger bar, then jumps up to use the bathroom. It's weird.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

The beginner-level DJ music is really funny. It just sound like someone rolling their face across a Casio.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think it's the patch. I've had similar weird behavior without the new expansion.

Like I'll queue up "Shower then eat then toilet" interactions. The sim jumps in the shower, kind of half showers, goes to make food. Makes it, eats two bites not filling the hunger bar, then jumps up to use the bathroom. It's weird.

Yes! This is exactly it. Hopefully they'll release a bug fix soon. I'm totally stumped on the cheat window thing though, since I feel like it's unrelated.

Edit: figured out the cheat console thing. For some reason, it now only works if I use the right ctrl key and the left shift key...weird, but at least it works.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 13, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Manic X posted:

I'm considering buying Sims 4 for a friend who only has a very standard laptop, is it likely to be able to play it?

If you don't care about the present being a secret you could ask them to try the demo on Origin.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Manic X posted:

Sims 4 is designed to run on older hardware. In fact, it actually has the same requirements as Sims 3. If they can run Sims 3, they can run Sims 4, and it'll run better due to the game being far less bloated and managing its poo poo a lot better.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

If you're having interaction problems it's likely a mod.

ALL* MODS THAT MODIFIED SCRIPTS ARE BROKEN UNLESS UPDATED.

Anything that has a modified script or action command is breaking the background controls, unless they updated you need to remove them. Basic object and clothes mods are fine.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

SystemLogoff posted:

If you're having interaction problems it's likely a mod.

ALL* MODS THAT MODIFIED SCRIPTS ARE BROKEN UNLESS UPDATED.

Anything that has a modified script or action command is breaking the background controls, unless they updated you need to remove them. Basic object and clothes mods are fine.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but as I stated in my post, I'm running no (zero) mods. So the issues with task interruptions are not mod-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

It was in general for people who may have mods that had scripting stuff.

In your case, have you run the repair game function in Origin? I had to do it after the last update to clean up some bad files.