Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Khablam posted:

Sync with iTunes, then you can export your podcast subscription in iTunes to an OPML file. Import to overcast and rejoice.

I just tried this. File > Library > Export playlist > OPML

Overcast added all the stations but marked all the episodes as played (played/unplayed is perfect in itunes) :manning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

nah the real reason is that lovely designs have always been circulating within apple except back then stebe was around to flush them down the toilet where they belonged

today tim cocks process is basically 'can we sell it??? if yes, release'

YOSPOS is thataway man

EDIT: iOS 9.2 is out with improvements to Apple Music and some other stuff.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 8, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What's the build number on 9.2? I'm not getting prompted for it. I am running the public beta poo poo so I wonder if the last beta is the same build or something.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jose Oquendo posted:

What's the build number on 9.2? I'm not getting prompted for it. I am running the public beta poo poo so I wonder if the last beta is the same build or something.

13C75

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

e.pilot posted:

This is seriously the most annoying thing I've run in to on the iPhone in a while.

And.... still not fixed in today's 9.2 update. Very cool. My iPhone 4S had like 700MB of space to work with thanks to "other" and documents and data, but at least it let me listen to music/podcasts while taking a photo.

I know literally nothing about programming or the like, but can it really be that hard to fix "When X is playing and Y is opened, X stops playing"? Is this on purpose?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

noirstronaut posted:

I would buy it, but it's silicone.

Can we get it in Saddle Brown?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

And.... still not fixed in today's 9.2 update. Very cool. My iPhone 4S had like 700MB of space to work with thanks to "other" and documents and data, but at least it let me listen to music/podcasts while taking a photo.

I know literally nothing about programming or the like, but can it really be that hard to fix "When X is playing and Y is opened, X stops playing"? Is this on purpose?

Yes it's on purpose. If something activates audio output, other audio output pauses. I don't know why various random apps require audio output, especially the Camera app, but it's an OS level function that is meant to make it easy for you to multitask. And it works quite well, you pull up a YouTube video and it wants to play audio so Spotify pauses, you finish watching the video and get right back to your song without having to do anything.

Sometimes it gets triggered at strange times though, and that's the application's fault...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is the general consensus to just pick up a bunch of cables like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-1M-Origi...eAAAOSw3xJVVlwW for spares/charging station cables/etc.?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is the general consensus to just pick up a bunch of cables like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-1M-Origi...eAAAOSw3xJVVlwW for spares/charging station cables/etc.?

At that price its quite unlikely that they're actual apple-made cables, and I don't know about all the hacky workarounds on the web (they haven't worked for me) but non-MFI cables won't charge newer iphones/ios versions. This message will pop up and the phone won't actually charge:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Khablam posted:

This isn't even the reason and you're monumentally stupid for reading whatever lovely tech blog / clickbaiter gave you this idea FYI.
He changed his mind about the ethics of an all-or-nothing blocklist and decided he didn't want to do it; he wanted to implement an ad-block style 'good ads' whitelist but didn't want to re-write, so pulled instead.

This all got beat to death last time though, with a reasonable proportion of people not grasping that ad supported content is 99.99% of the web but whatever.

Bullshit. Before ad blocking was released in iOS 9 Gruber and the rest of the Apple regulars were all about it, he even said that it was up to publishers to adapt. However as soon as it started affecting him and his ad network it was morally indefensible. gently caress him and gently caress Marco.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who cares

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
LOL at that battery case looking like the hosed up Android phone from 2011 posted a couple days ago.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Just lookit dis fatty

Better yet, the charge indicator is inside the case, so you gotta remove your phone just to see if the case is charged or not.

Jobs is spinning in his grave and Ive is chillin in Britain.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I had a flip phone back in the day with an extended battery that would bulge out just like that. I wonder if the apple battery case is less bulky and thus easier to hold than, say, the morphie battery packs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They should have made it a smooth curve and made it silver like the OG iPhones.

Then people would snap that poo poo up in a second.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Butt Savage posted:

Just lookit dis fatty

Better yet, the charge indicator is inside the case, so you gotta remove your phone just to see if the case is charged or not.

It shows you the charge level on your lock screen.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Who the gently caress authorized the release of this hideous monstrosity? :psyduck: at first I thought it was an early April Fool's joke.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Good lord. It doesn't look that bad, and i'm sure it's more comfortable to handle than those mophie monstrosities.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

xzzy posted:

They should have made it a smooth curve and made it silver like the OG iPhones.

Then people would snap that poo poo up in a second.

Exactly. This is such a derpy looking design and makes zero sense.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Mulva posted:

Bullshit. Before ad blocking was released in iOS 9 Gruber and the rest of the Apple regulars were all about it, he even said that it was up to publishers to adapt. However as soon as it started affecting him and his ad network it was morally indefensible. gently caress him and gently caress Marco.

"I don't like that someone changed their opinion because it no longer gives validity to my own myopic Weltanschauung"

:goonsay:

(like disagree all you want I guess, but this level of I AM MAD ABOUT IT ON THE INTERNET AND WILL DEMONSTRATE THIS STUPID GRUDGE is just loving embarrassing)

re: The case, I somewhat think they were trying to make it more ergonomic than some of the battery cases, which add a lot to the edge thickness, but then it kinda locks you into holding it *the correct way*, not that anyone at Apple would suggest that.
Maybe its more Jobs-like than people are crediting it with :v:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The biggest problem with 3D touch is that I forget I have 3D touch and don't remember until I'm like 5 clicks deep into finding what I'm looking for and going "oh yeah could've just opened that from the icon. I'll try to remember that next time."

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

It shows you the charge level on your lock screen.

Still looks dumb. :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That case is loving hideous.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That case is loving hideous.

All cases are hideous. It's just different degrees of hideousness.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It sounds like Mophie maybe has patents on battery cases that Apple tried designing around.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/8/9872238/is-apples-smart-battery-case-mophie-patents

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shame on the patent office for granting such an idiotic patent.

I mean I know that's their MO, but this one is pretty bad even for them.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

kitten smoothie posted:

It sounds like Mophie maybe has patents on battery cases that Apple tried designing around.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/8/9872238/is-apples-smart-battery-case-mophie-patents

Should have just bought Mophie, they can't be worth that much.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So basically, since the Mophie patent claims an external switch to control charging of the phone, and since Apple didn't include an external switch on their one-piece silicone battery case, Apple could've still made their battery case to be like the 2-piece hard case like Mophie but without the external switch.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Butt Savage posted:

Just lookit dis fatty

If that came in Glossy Fondue Chocolate Brown and I actually had issues with battery life I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

My iPhone 6S leather case in Saddle Brown after 2 months, just in case that "what case should I get" question ever pops up again. I have no idea why imgur rotated each image either 90 or 180 degrees but whatever.

For leather nerds, I treated it with Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative every other week or so until recently, to the point where it felt good and supple. Those two vertical lines are natural scars, which are hit or miss on the natural leather cases. I knew about them from day one but stuck with it anyway because it's like a unique snowflake.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Most battery cases on the market violate that poorly worded patent, isn't that precedent to repeal based on excessively loose wording?
I don't get US patents at all.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Regarding the battery case:

1) I don't think it looks that bad. I like the 1-piece idea. I've used other cases (such as from Mophie) that just didn't seem to fit right, messed with a screen protector, etc. This one looks like it fits as well as the Apple silicone case (with the added benefit of covering the bottom of the phone, near the charger, unlike the regular silicone case).

2) On the other hand, isn't this Apple very much admitting that people want a THICKER phone? It's way thicker and uglier than if they had just made the phone thicker in the first place. Seriously, a much larger internal battery wouldn't have added that much bulk, would have gotten rid of the protruding camera, and maybe even allowed optical image stabilization in the regular 6 and 6S.

I know people that got the 6 Plus/6S Plus for the battery life. Some got one of those just for the camera. This battery case is a dumb compromise. You get better protection and a bigger battery - but your phone is now even uglier and you still don't get the better camera.
Why not have people pay the extra $99 on an "iPhone XL" from the start? Same screen size as the 6/6S, but thicker, bigger battery, and better camera.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Xenomorph posted:

2) On the other hand, isn't this Apple very much admitting that people want a THICKER phone? It's way thicker and uglier than if they had just made the phone thicker in the first place. Seriously, a much larger internal battery wouldn't have added that much bulk, would have gotten rid of the protruding camera, and maybe even allowed optical image stabilization in the regular 6 and 6S.

No, or they would, shockingly, make the phone thicker.

There are always a minority of users (and they'll know this from metrics, not from a wailing minority) who will just use their phones to empty almost regardless of capacity. If it easily lasted a day, they would complain that it lasted into the second day and helped you forget to charge it and oh woe is me I had to charge at work. Such is the inevitable "gotta post something" whine from tech blogs.

Thin phones are sexy, and if you want practicality over aesthetics there are loads of bulky android phones that have huge batteries in them. None of these sell particularly well or really get talked about in any way though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be honest I've never really noticed the battery life of my 6s because owning various Android phones over the years has trained me to keep my phone plugged in at all times anyway. I have a cord by my bed, my couch, in my car, and plugged into my computer at work. If I'm away from any of those places I'm probably someplace where I'm not using my phone for more than a minute or two of time anyway.

One thing that does intrigue me about the Apple Battery Case is that, according to the Verge, the case includes additional antennas to improve signal. Can anyone confirm that? At the place I work as soon as I enter the building I lose T-Mobile's LTE unless my phone is sitting by a window and I have a feeling that if the antennas were only slightly stronger I'd probably get LTE at my desk.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

lelandjs posted:

To be honest I've never really noticed the battery life of my 6s because owning various Android phones over the years has trained me to keep my phone plugged in at all times anyway. I have a cord by my bed, my couch, in my car, and plugged into my computer at work. If I'm away from any of those places I'm probably someplace where I'm not using my phone for more than a minute or two of time anyway.

One thing that does intrigue me about the Apple Battery Case is that, according to the Verge, the case includes additional antennas to improve signal. Can anyone confirm that? At the place I work as soon as I enter the building I lose T-Mobile's LTE unless my phone is sitting by a window and I have a feeling that if the antennas were only slightly stronger I'd probably get LTE at my desk.

I don't know that they have antennas that improve base signal only prevent degradation from the battery casing being on there.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Is there a difference between the 6plus and 6s plus leather cases?
I just got my 6s plus and can get the 6plus case for 20 bucks less than the s version.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
This is entirely anecdotal, but the leather on my 6s+ case feels much better than the 6+ case did. Jury is still out on exactly how it will wear, of course.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have a remote worker at my job with a work issued iPhone 6 Plus, which he claims he's brought to the Apple Store and gotten replaced on three separate occasions due to bending, and right now the glass is de-laminating from the case yet again.

He's a big guy and swears he's not sitting on it, says it's just side-pocket and keeps doing that. Anyway, does anyone know of like a super-heavy-duty case that would stop this in the future?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is there a reliable supplier for cheap MFI certified lightning cables? My wife has had a bunch of supposedly certified cables from cheap vendors just up and stop working apparently because of this certification not really being there and it's starting to get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Is there a reliable supplier for cheap MFI certified lightning cables? My wife has had a bunch of supposedly certified cables from cheap vendors just up and stop working apparently because of this certification not really being there and it's starting to get old.

Monoprice cables always work well for me and are fairly inexpensive. I haven't had a single one fail.