Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Quantum Cat posted:

Honestly, to me, it's FO4's failure to allow meaningful exploration of this through gameplay and/or narrative choices that stands out as one of the largest, if not the largest, missed opportunity in the game.
I was just thinking about this too. The game just keeps referring to the protagonist as "Vault Dweller" which is understandable from the NPCs point of view, but there's never a chance to really point out that from our perspective we basically just spent five minutes in there and then came back out to a whole new world, except for a few passing mentions.
The most recent and probably the most frustrating example of this that I came across was the (underwater side quest spoiler) Chinese submarine captain. There was SO much potential for dialogue there, like "hey I was there when your people started the apocalypse, cool huh?" but no, it's again just "go get mcguffin I really miss China" "ok np". Granted I haven't finished that yet so maybe there will be a cool moment in the end, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

khy posted:

I like how I actually have to be careful when I'm attacking robots. Several times now I've started spraying one with bullets only to discover too late that I accidentally blew off all its weapons, and turned the fucker into a robotic suicider. Then it was a mad scramble to get away or get its legs to stop the charge before I was nuked into orbit. Accidentally doing it to a Mr Gutsy which HAD no legs made for an extra-exciting sprint away and over rocks/obstacles. Though leg shots feel just a little overpowered since nothing ever seems to fight back once it's on the ground...

Getting power armor early is interesting. In previous games I always felt pushed towards BoS if I wanted power armor, so not having to go full nazi if I want big steel protection is a nice change. I just wish they had come up with a better excuse for why an untrained civilian can operate it though. ONE LITTLE LINE is all it would take.

"What's so special about that power armor?" "It was designed for new soldiers who aren't used to it so it has a CAT system - computer assisted tutorial. With one of those anyone can pilot it without special training!"

Bam, plot hole filled. Maybe even say that the computer took up the space the internal fusion plants would normally take up, which is why they rely on external fuel sources instead of the previous games where they had internalized energy generation. Bam, two plot holes filled!

PA training was a really stupid idea that you can actually just pretend didn't exist previously. FO3 and NV were the only ones to even use it and I am happy to count the change under 'Wow, that was a bad idea, sorry about that!'

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I kind of wish they would employ the way the brahmin moved caravan goods around in fallout 1 and 2, where they would cut off the beds of trucks and turn them into carts. Seeing how poorly they could get the carts in skyrim to actually follow the horse around, they probably skipped it. I mean shoot, a way to add in some real world fast travel would be to find a caravan and ask if you could travel with them to one of their destinations they go between.

Or make him the pc; you can finally play as garrus.
I miss being able to travel with and guard caravans, that was such a fun way to get loot and reach dangerous areas. :(

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Shut up about how you could write Bethesda's games so much better and go apply for one of the quest-designer positions Bethesda just opened up. (I have no connection to Zenimax or Bethesda, I just happened to notice the listing.)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

khy posted:

Getting power armor early is interesting. In previous games I always felt pushed towards BoS if I wanted power armor, so not having to go full nazi if I want big steel protection is a nice change. I just wish they had come up with a better excuse for why an untrained civilian can operate it though. ONE LITTLE LINE is all it would take.

There is two changes to power armor in this game:

1) untrained people can use it

2) it constantly drains it's battery in a way it never ever did before.

It doesn't take a fan fiction master to make up a connection between those two things and explain the second via the first.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I never really 'got' power armour training.

You wear it. You walk forward. Doesn't seem that hard.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

I never really 'got' power armour training.

You wear it. You walk forward. Doesn't seem that hard.

Well, it completely readjusts your center of gravity and you have to manipulate robot hands instead of just using your regular ones, in reality needing a complete course of training in order to properly utilize a suit of power armor is a given, but in a game it is silly and pointless.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

what people really want is the ability to plop yourself in a suit of power armor like in fallout 1/2 and then be invincible to everything without having to worry about anything else

which is a pretty dumb but common way to bypass the awful combat system in those two games but the combat system for the post fallout-3 games isn't quite as awful as it was then.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Magmarashi posted:

Well, it completely readjusts your center of gravity and you have to manipulate robot hands instead of just using your regular ones, in reality needing a complete course of training in order to properly utilize a suit of power armor is a given, but in a game it is silly and pointless.

Well in a game it's a matter of gating, it can attach some prestige to it and give a sense that not everyone can do it, exclusivity. In 4 they took a step forward by separating power armor from regular kinds and making the first go a big deal, but also back by giving it so early and letting you just nab a suit whenever, possibly from a scripted sequence you are directed to very early in the game.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

what people really want is the ability to plop yourself in a suit of power armor like in fallout 1/2 and then be invincible to everything without having to worry about anything else

which is a pretty dumb but common way to bypass the awful combat system in those two games but the combat system for the post fallout-3 games isn't quite as awful as it was then.

They are immune to everything but criticals. gently caress you super mutants and 200damage criticals!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nordick posted:

I was just thinking about this too. The game just keeps referring to the protagonist as "Vault Dweller" which is understandable from the NPCs point of view, but there's never a chance to really point out that from our perspective we basically just spent five minutes in there and then came back out to a whole new world, except for a few passing mentions.
The most recent and probably the most frustrating example of this that I came across was the (underwater side quest spoiler) Chinese submarine captain. There was SO much potential for dialogue there, like "hey I was there when your people started the apocalypse, cool huh?" but no, it's again just "go get mcguffin I really miss China" "ok np". Granted I haven't finished that yet so maybe there will be a cool moment in the end, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

I just talked to Daisy, the ghoul shopkeeper in Goodneighbor last night. I really wish there were more conversations like that, and even that one fell short, since I wasn't able to convince her that I was pre-war also with a detail that only somebody from then could know. Like, anybody in the Commonwealth could piece together green grass and white picket fences from the lingering advertisements; I wanted to say something like "I was at a parade here a couple years before the war, and the mayor fell out of his car." I think it was a missed opportunity to have that kind of connection to the small number of pre-war ghouls -- chatting about the way things used to be.

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

Plus the reason it was implemented was for balance reasons and not because it is unrealistic to be able to use it without training. I really wish the introduction to power armour in 4 was later on to give it more weight when it appears. The way they did was just fine, but it is way too early into the game. Also, there are far too many suits just lying around, and fusion cores are so hilariously common I've been actively attempting to run out of them and still have more than 50.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm really looking forward to a mod that makes everything that isn't junk more scarce. I've always installed one, since Oblivion and Fallout 3. Might make Fusion Cores and ammo more meaningful.

I like the current power armor, though; I'm slowly upgrading it and keep thinking, "This is my armor, there are many like it but this one's mine".

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

khy posted:

I like how I actually have to be careful when I'm attacking robots. Several times now I've started spraying one with bullets only to discover too late that I accidentally blew off all its weapons, and turned the fucker into a robotic suicider. Then it was a mad scramble to get away or get its legs to stop the charge before I was nuked into orbit. Accidentally doing it to a Mr Gutsy which HAD no legs made for an extra-exciting sprint away and over rocks/obstacles. Though leg shots feel just a little overpowered since nothing ever seems to fight back once it's on the ground...

"What's so special about that power armor?" "It was designed for new soldiers who aren't used to it so it has a CAT system - computer assisted tutorial. With one of those anyone can pilot it without special training!"

Bam, plot hole filled. Maybe even say that the computer took up the space the internal fusion plants would normally take up, which is why they rely on external fuel sources instead of the previous games where they had internalized energy generation. Bam, two plot holes filled!
the main character is a soldier, he was probably in and out of power armour like a duck in water.

Edit: that's also a good way to explain away having no weapon skills. He's a soldier, he's trained with everything!

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 9, 2015

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

There's something incredibly cathartic about finally getting that sniper rifle suppressor on your sneaky Rifleman, then going full murder mode on the raider quarries like Thicket Excavations and Dunwich Borers under cover of darkness.

Zodium fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 9, 2015

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012

Zodium posted:

I really, really like the ghoul/synth limb loss mechanic (though I'm a little sad you can't make incapacitated/disarmed synths surrender or something, would've been cool.)

I hacked a Protectron in The Forge to help clear it and it had both its legs disabled by the raiders in there. Seeing it crawl along the ground with its legs dangling uselessly behind it while still trying to go after the raiders was so sad :smith:

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Magmarashi posted:

Yeah, but it still seems like a situation where you'd be able to wing it without a full walkthrough of how everything works.

I always felt a better design choice would be something like the ability to use the armor without training, but with no bonus stats or possibly even a detriment in some area, like -1 agility or something.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I was told to clear Jamaica Plain, so I warped to the nearest radio tower. Down the hill was a legendary Major Gutsy. I blasted him, walked down to loot his corpse, and he went nuclear and fried me. So I reloaded, fast traveled to the same tower, saw Major Gutsy, killed him and waited. He blew up next to a car and the explosion sent his corpse flying. I got really pissed thinking it was a wasted opportunity, but then I spent a couple minutes searching for him and found him in a ditch a couple dozen yards away. He had a wounding assault rifle waiting for me. I am no longer pissed off.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

2house2fly posted:

the main character is a soldier, he was probably in and out of power armour like a duck in water.

Edit: that's also a good way to explain away having no weapon skills. He's a soldier, he's trained with everything!

That works for John Fallout, but what's the explanation behind civilian lawyer wife being able to use it as easily as him?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

2house2fly posted:

I on the other hand am enjoying roleplaying my psychotic 1-intelligence female lawyer.

Edit: beaten

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I just got the game and I've got a very minor complaint

Your character is really really really really nonchalant about everything happening. You watched your spouse get murdered in front of you, first thing you do out of the tube is nab her wedding ring and kinda shrug it off. Big rear end cockroach? Oh that sure is big. S/he is very blasé about it all.

I don't mind the power armor you get early. To be fair, it's rusted to poo poo, two parts are near broke (and the segment after the armor will all but break it completely). So I got the armor, got back to Sanctuary and abandoned it. I'm sure I'll use it at a later point, but at the moment the FC is half dead and the armor itself is busted as gently caress.

e: where's a good place to grab cloth (for beds)?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

khy posted:

That works for John Fallout, but what's the explanation behind civilian lawyer wife being able to use it as easily as him?

John Fallout was bored and drunk one day and 'acquired' a suit to show her how.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

khy posted:

Their honeymoon was taking trips in power armor to put down some uppity Canadian insurgents in the newly acquired states. And during that trip they both learned short hand from a universal engineer guru that taught them the basics of hydroponics, home construction and electronics. Not enough to make a solid roof, but enough to build turrets like no one's business.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

khy posted:

Perhaps she too was a veteran but then studied law on a GI bill.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

khy posted:

They talked about power armor around the dinner table. :eng101:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Stringbean posted:

I don't mind the power armor you get early. To be fair, it's rusted to poo poo, two parts are near broke (and the segment after the armor will all but break it completely). So I got the armor, got back to Sanctuary and abandoned it. I'm sure I'll use it at a later point, but at the moment the FC is half dead and the armor itself is busted as gently caress.

It took me about 100 hours of gameplay to notice that you can repair the parts with common stuff like Steel and no skills required, if you just put it in the power armor rack and go to the craft menu.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zero VGS posted:

It took me about 100 hours of gameplay to notice that you can repair the parts with common stuff like Steel and no skills required, if you just put it in the power armor rack and go to the craft menu.

Later suits start requiring a lot more to repair though so it can be worth maintaining a backup suit too.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Stringbean posted:

e: where's a good place to grab cloth (for beds)?

Pre-War money.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

khy posted:

In 2077, all court proceedings are conducted in full power armor.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

khy posted:

She's non-canon so there doesn't have to be a story explanation.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Besesoth posted:

Shut up about how you could write Bethesda's games so much better and go apply for one of the quest-designer positions Bethesda just opened up. (I have no connection to Zenimax or Bethesda, I just happened to notice the listing.)

When they specify Excellent, it's almost laughable considering the quality of writing since Skyrim. Or like half the thread, my Obsidian-shade glasses are too dark.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

khy posted:

2house2fly posted:

She's non-canon so there doesn't have to be a story explanation.

Sorry, but the lady is always the canon choice.
You probably played male Shepard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GuyUpNorth posted:

When they specify Excellent, it's almost laughable considering the quality of writing since Skyrim. Or like half the thread, my Obsidian-shade glasses are too dark.

I'm half considering applying just to see what happens.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

popewiles posted:

Sorry, but the lady is always the canon choice.
You probably played male Shepard.

According to the data Bioware released, almost everyone played Soldier Man Shep. It caused quite a bit of shock in the ME thread at the time, who kept espousing the joy of Vanguard/FemShep to the point where they couldn't understand that everyone else played it differently. (Come to think of it, that has parallels to this thread - how often are people espousing how good Obsidian is when everyone else likes how Bethesda does things?)

fake edit: here, have a picture I stole from IGN:

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 9, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want to know who the two people who finished ME2 28 times are because jesus.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I want to know who the two people who finished ME2 28 times are because jesus.

There's a guy who used to post in the Mass Effect threads (maybe still does??!) who seemed to do nothing with his time except play Mass Effect. He'd played through ME3 a couple of times before I finished it once, and I rushed through it

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Mass Effect 3 was the only one I didn't finish.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the actual most shocking thing is that only 15% of dialogue was skipped in me2

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

me2 was a really god damned loving good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

me2 was a really god damned loving good game

Now that's a statement I haven't heard in a while...

• Locked thread