Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
computer are pretty good already, i'd be okay if things stayed the current level of good forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i don't think pram was being entirely serious

i'm pretty sure they were, this is a very serious thread

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

its silly to get all pointy-fingery about the weird implementation of hardlinks in hfs+ because the only reason unix-semantics hardlinking is still a thing today is backcompat with this one weird trick made possible by a quirky and terrible 45 year old fs. "oh hey we can have multiple dirents pointing to the same inode" *proceeds to write a shitload of hacks that will break horribly if this property ever goes away*

osx is a unix. it's literally unix certified. it's not unreasonable to expect its native FS to not have hosed up implementations of unix filesystem semantics

BobHoward posted:

(i mean srsly idg why people hate on hfs+ so much, at least it has a loving b*tree directory. has linux even settled on a post-extN fs which has non caveman data structures? i noticed that el7 is defaulting to xfs now, a ringing endorsement of filesystems designed by the linux community)

sgi is part of the linux community. they've been active contributors to the kernel since 1997.

also, xfs is pretty awesome.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

osx is a unix. it's literally unix certified. it's not unreasonable to expect its native FS to not have hosed up implementations of unix filesystem semantics

lol if u think unix has ever been rock solid awesome poo poo from top to bottom, there have always been gross hacks and there always will be, both under the hood and visible

its practically the defining characteristic of the os. "welp we know there was a cleaner way to do this but gently caress doing that on a rogue side project targeting a loving pdp-7", fast forward 40 years and we're still dealing with the consequences

your feeble attempts to poke fun at unixes u dont like for having basically the standard amount of unix bullshit are always fun

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

its practically the defining characteristic of the os. "welp we know there was a cleaner way to do this but gently caress doing that on a rogue side project targeting a loving pdp-7", fast forward 40 years and we're still dealing with the consequences

I still can't believe EINTR is a thing that needs to be considered in TYOOL 2015

just like the MIT people didn't believe it back when they saw it in the 1970s

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
worse is better

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
signals are one of the worst parts of unix though seriously

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

oh lol i didn't read close, and didn't realize the shock horror "hfs+ is awful" stuff quoted earlier itt was written by siracusa. of course it was

once you remove all the emotive language designed to make you feel hfs+ is a toxic dumpster fire (that being siracusa's hobbyhorse) and think about it seriously, the described system is p straightforward and logical and not all that different from an actual inode fs

unix inode filesystems are a giant single pool (no hierarchy) of inodes, where each inode describes one file. inode names are positive integers and iirc the lookup more or less uses the inode # as an array index. most inodes are real user files, some are directory special files. the latter is what contains all the information to give the fs a human readable directory and any kind of namespace hierarchy. hard links are literally just letting it be legal for multiple directory entries to point at the same inode, plus refcounting so the system knows when a file has been orphaned by removing all dirents that point to it.

what did apple to do emulate this on hfs+? when there's a need (a file goes over a link count of 1), move the file to a special non visible directory, rename it to something like 'inodeXYZ' where XYZ is a unique integer not shared with any other inode, and back in the visible directories, write special files which inform the system "this is a hardlink to inode XYZ"

its the traditional unix inode system, using hfs+ as a container. throwing all the inodes in one hfs+ dir should be fine, it is a tree data structure, it can handle it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

is siracusa still going on about spatial finder or did he finally give up one that lost cause

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

that looks like the dubstep of terminals

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

what if ow! my balls was on a computer

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

carry on then posted:

is siracusa still going on about spatial finder or did he finally give up one that lost cause

spatial finder was actually really really good tho, whereas all the versions of osx finder I've ever used have been mediocre at best

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

your feeble attempts to poke fun at unixes u dont like for having basically the standard amount of unix bullshit are always fun

the bullshit is literally standardized

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Captain Foo posted:

i also think it is great

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

as with dubstep, it wasn't cool even in 2005, and it's just ridiculous in 2015

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

im the power top

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

I'm The Art of War written by notable Chinese general Niccolo Machiavelli.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Athas posted:

I'm The Art of War written by notable Chinese general Niccolo Machiavelli.

machiavelli did write a book called "the art of war"

(although there's so much going on in that picture that i have no idea which part of it you're talking about :shobon:)

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

prefect posted:

(although there's so much going on in that picture that i have no idea which part of it you're talking about :shobon:)

first window on the second column: /home/book/Niccolo Machiavelli - The Art Of War.txt

I'm the spaces in the filename

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

im the anarchist cookbook

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Symbolic Butt posted:

first window on the second column: /home/book/Niccolo Machiavelli - The Art Of War.txt

I'm the spaces in the filename

lol if you regularly use or write programs/scripts that break when file names contain spaces

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

lol if your filenames don't all contain at least three of ", ', `, bell, unicode right-to-left marker, $(rm -rf ~/), an illegal utf8 sequence, and the ansi escape for purple background

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

prefect posted:

iirc it is pretty boring and has a lot of details about troop formations in 16-th century italy

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Soricidus posted:

lol if you regularly use or write programs/scripts that break when file names contain spaces

it''s not even this, I just think anyone who used a unix console for more than 5 minutes would hate typing spaces in filenames

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

im the anarchist cookbook
i'm the industrial/ebm playlist that's going while reading the anarchist cookbook

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

it''s not even this, I just think anyone who used a unix console for more than 5 minutes would hate typing spaces in filenames

tab completion is a thing that exists ityool 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

tab completion is a thing that exists ityool 2015

next you say you don't carefully copy, paste, and then press backspace a bunch of times to correct a mistyped command line

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lol if your filenames don't all contain at least three of ", ', `, bell, unicode right-to-left marker, $(rm -rf ~/), an illegal utf8 sequence, and the ansi escape for purple background

how exactly do you plan to create a filename that contains "$(rm -rf ~/)" on linux

shame on you

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soricidus posted:

how exactly do you plan to create a filename that contains "$(rm -rf ~/)" on linux

very carefully

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
first, modify the kernel ...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Soricidus posted:

shame on you

just make it on windows and send it over

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:
Just install Plan9, nbd. :smug:

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i wish i were smart enough or motivated enough to get a systems research gig

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
gently caress around with a bespoke OS like plan9 all day

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
somehow, every few minutes, tons and tons of up/down keypresses get sent to uh...i dont know. definitely the terminal, but possibly other places too. I haven't really noticed things scrolling up and down outside the terminal, but i spent most of my time in the terminal so i might have missed it.

what log do i need to tail to figure out if the key presses are coming from something in the hardware or os? this is very annoying.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've confirmed that there isn't a ghost pressing the buttons physically.

also i switched to using an external keybaord instead of the one built into the laptop. it still happens, but the keyboard/touchpad are still enabled so that doesn't mean much.

also i really suspect that it's it thinks a scrollwheel/touch pad is trying to scroll up/down, but i have no reason to suspect that. i guess i'll disable the touchpad and see.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
my friends linux does weird things like the clock just speeds up for no reason and stops ticking altogether and then slowly speeds up again

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i would look for an rear end in a top hat coworkers that plugged in a wireless usb keyboard dongle into ur dock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
jokes on you the docks they give us don't work.