Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

revmoo posted:

That's hilarious fanboyism right there "Apple is cool to use a smaller batter in its phones because their screens are lower resolution. See, Apple is better!"

What?! As an Android fanboy and someone who has never owned an Apple device*, that statement seems pretty factual to me.

If Apple didn't put so much emphasis on thinness, they could have stellar battery life, but it's the tradeoff they make.

*I did by my sister an iPod once years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ArmZ posted:

samsung eats battery, apple design is way more efficient. they have about the same battery life. the weight difference is noticeable, unlike the few mm diff between micro usb and lightning. see also: any MacBook

source: I have used both

macbooks USED to have good batteries, back when you could swap them. it's bullshit now that they're just soldered into the case or loving whatever new and improved anti-consumer crap they do

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

revmoo posted:

That's hilarious fanboyism right there "Apple is cool to use a smaller batter in its phones because their screens are lower resolution. See, Apple is better!"

What I said is true and an accurate description of the pros/cons of battery life in each device. Apple designs every aspect of their hardware and software, allowing for the best optimization in between the two. They also eschew 2K+ displays for 1080p, meaning that there are less pixels to push. However, Samsung relies on AMOLED which allows for better battery saving when displaying black colors.

Samsung historically has relied on vendors like Snapdragon for their SoCs, meaning there isn't much optimization occurring between the processor and the software. Their newest generation does rely on their in-house Exynos, so the optimization is likely improved. Android is also less battery-efficient than iOS, because it must be designed to be compatible with a larger selection of devices than iOS. Ignoring, of course, the TouchWiz changes Samsung applies to Android.

Apple does the lean, cutting the fat method while Samsung does the brute-force method. What results is roughly equal battery life between the iPhone 6/6S and the Galaxy S6/S6 edge.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

My parents got an Apple TV device a while ago. The idea is neat, putting all your video and streaming services into one device. However, when compared to just hooking up a laptop to your TV with an HDMI, it is loving trash. Using an actual website is far faster and more effective than having to use the lovely interfaces that go on the Apple TV.

And the biggest turd in the toilet, which continues to infuriate me even today, is this loving garbage

Like with the youtube and hulu apps on the Xbox and Playstation, all of the apps on the AppleTV use some variation of the "all letters in a single row" or "non-QWERTY keyboard" bullshit. And you have to use this horrible thing to type in whatever you are looking for one letter at a time. Making this worse is that the youtube app will often not find what you are searching for, even if you type in the video's exact name. As far as I am aware, the app doesn't even let you filter your searches into playlists or channels. Oh, and the apple tv remote gets lost very easily, since it is so loving tiny.

I taught my parents to use a laptop instead and they haven't used this garbage since. gently caress Apple.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

ArmZ posted:

samsung eats battery, apple design is way more efficient. they have about the same battery life. the weight difference is noticeable, unlike the few mm diff between micro usb and lightning. see also: any MacBook

source: I have used both

Samsung does eat some serious battery, but going from an iphone to a galaxy: my god is the display gorgeous.

I'm trying to come up with another bad design that infuriates me, but I guess I've run out of everyday convenience to be outraged about.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

macbooks USED to have good batteries, back when you could swap them. it's bullshit now that they're just soldered into the case or loving whatever new and improved anti-consumer crap they do

but why would you need to use your macbook for longer than the 6 months it takes them to put out a new macbook that you need to buy RIGHT NOW or you won't be cool???

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

but why would you need to use your macbook for longer than the 6 months it takes them to put out a new macbook that you need to buy RIGHT NOW or you won't be cool???

You can still get the battery replaced, it just has to be done by Apple.

Still sucks for sure but pc manufacturers do it too now.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

Shadow posted:

Yeah, 2 USBs on my macbook air. They are able to see that USB dominates peripherals but simply refuse to see that mini USB is the de facto standard for mobile devices. It's absurd how anti-consumer Apple is. They don't look at the market to see what it wants. They tell it what it wants, and then you have their forums filled with brainwashed faggots telling you how you're using your laptop wrong because you dare to want to shut the lid without it going to sleep. A setting on a windows machine that takes 3 seconds requires third party software on this mac.

I'm to blame too. I buy this poo poo.

from pages back but micro USB was a really bad port for long term use and USB-C didn't exist when lightning was made. Without lightning the USB consortium would have never made a good port and would have used mini USB 3.0 on all phones because it is the only way to be within standards and get more than 5W of power out of the plug. Micro-USB 3.0 was an abomination though

USB 3.1 is really good though and it seems apple is picking it as a standard for cables but standardizing on lightning for the charging end. Basically apple going their own way made the rest of the industry realize iterative designs with backwards compatibility were poo poo and they needed to just go all in on a new design.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
How bout you guys just stop buying apple products then.  Just a thought.

There's not even any point to owning a Mac in YOOL 2015 and the latest Mac Pro is a loving trashcan with no optical drive and proprietary everything.

Ran Mad Dog fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 8, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ran Mad Dog posted:

There's not even any point to owning a Mac in YOOL 2015 and the latest Mac Pro is a loving trashcan with no optical drive and proprietary everything.

i did :unsmigghh:

well, mostly. i'm kinda bummed that they moved to touchscreen ipods, it kinda defeats the purpose of being able to navigate your mp3 player without looking at it. hackintoshing has its own share of problems, though, and if a company tries to force a hardware scan on your system (like blizzard, for example. gently caress blizzard), it usually crashes the program that's trying to scan you because it doesn't recognize your library files

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Yeah man there is no point in owning an apple product when almost all of the money made in the programming industry today is making apps for iOS

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Yeah man there is no point in owning an apple product when almost all of the money made in the programming industry today is making apps for iOS

Sucks for you having to program aps for garbage phones that idiots keep buying then. I bet making Dora the Explorer shovelware for WiiU is more fulfilling.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

almost all of the money made in the programming industry today is making apps for iOS

:lol:

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

Ran Mad Dog posted:

Sucks for you having to program aps for garbage phones that idiots keep buying then. I bet making Dora the Explorer shovelware for WiiU is more fulfilling.

Programming is by definition making lovely applications for idiots, it doesn't matter if it is science apps for academia, or business apps for big business, it is all making deliverables for people who don't understand what they want. iOS just pays really well and it isn't anywhere near as lovely as webapps

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

To get off the Apple v. Samsung debate:
My car's roof is designed to direct the smallest amount of moisture directly onto my arm and/or power window switches. Doesn't matter if it's pouring, a light drizzle, water being kicked up off the pavement, morning loving dew, it will be channeled off the hood, up the windshield, across the roof, and through the window directly onto my arm. I even need to close my windows if I use the sprayer at a stop because I'll get blue liquid inside my car as soon as I start moving.

Also related, the notification for having low washer fluid is given the same priority as the notification for low fuel. Basically, a message on the computer in the center console when I start the car and a flashing yellow warning that covers up the clock and doesn't stop blinking, ever. Rain-X recently changed the formula of their orange fluid and it breaks sensors in VWs and Audis, so I've had the car yelling at me constantly that my fluid is low for almost a year, now. All other warnings (important ones, like your lights being burned out) are just a message that goes away in the first ten seconds of turning on your car.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Good god, take the Apple/Samsung/Android argument somewhere else, you loving spergs.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Uthor posted:

To get off the Apple v. Samsung debate:
My car's roof is designed to direct the smallest amount of moisture directly onto my arm and/or power window switches. Doesn't matter if it's pouring, a light drizzle, water being kicked up off the pavement, morning loving dew, it will be channeled off the hood, up the windshield, across the roof, and through the window directly onto my arm. I even need to close my windows if I use the sprayer at a stop because I'll get blue liquid inside my car as soon as I start moving.

Also related, the notification for having low washer fluid is given the same priority as the notification for low fuel. Basically, a message on the computer in the center console when I start the car and a flashing yellow warning that covers up the clock and doesn't stop blinking, ever. Rain-X recently changed the formula of their orange fluid and it breaks sensors in VWs and Audis, so I've had the car yelling at me constantly that my fluid is low for almost a year, now. All other warnings (important ones, like your lights being burned out) are just a message that goes away in the first ten seconds of turning on your car.

Fiat has this too. As I learned last week, it will let you know which tire is going flat... for 10 seconds when you first start it and aren't looking at the cluster. Then it never brings it up again. However, it will tell you every 30 seconds that you have a tail light with a burned out bulb. Seriously, there's 4 bulbs in that tail light. I'm not going to rush to an Auto Zone over this. The rapidly deflating tire is sort of a big deal

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Uthor posted:

How many phones are you expecting MS to sell???

touche!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Dont mind the Gerald Ford bust.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 8, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

criscodisco posted:

Fiat has this too. As I learned last week, it will let you know which tire is going flat... for 10 seconds when you first start it and aren't looking at the cluster. Then it never brings it up again. However, it will tell you every 30 seconds that you have a tail light with a burned out bulb. Seriously, there's 4 bulbs in that tail light. I'm not going to rush to an Auto Zone over this. The rapidly deflating tire is sort of a big deal

This is probably partly because those stupid tpms sensors break all the time. The fact that they are required by law is retarded.

Also having a sensor for wiper fluid instead of just making the tank visible under the hood is kind of dumb as well.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Mange Mite posted:

Also having a sensor for wiper fluid instead of just making the tank visible under the hood is kind of dumb as well.

Having an electronic sensor at all that can apparently fail based on the fluid composition is dumb as poo poo, there's nothing wrong with a float inside of an open-bottomed cylinder inside the reservoir. Just wait for the float to stay below whatever level for 5 seconds or so before triggering the warning and that solves the problem of bumps and whatever. Hell, if you want to get real fancy, you could also include a tilt sensor (that the engine probably already has) so it won't set off the warning light if you're driving on a high grade road with a nearly-empty tank

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

Sentient Data posted:

Having an electronic sensor at all that can apparently fail based on the fluid composition is dumb as poo poo, there's nothing wrong with a float inside of an open-bottomed cylinder inside the reservoir. Just wait for the float to stay below whatever level for 5 seconds or so before triggering the warning and that solves the problem of bumps and whatever. Hell, if you want to get real fancy, you could also include a tilt sensor (that the engine probably already has) so it won't set off the warning light if you're driving on a high grade road with a nearly-empty tank

Here I thought they just had a plastic casting with two electrodes in it, so that liquid would make it conduct.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Here I thought they just had a plastic casting with two electrodes in it, so that liquid would make it conduct.

That's what it is in my car. Not sure what it fucks up, maybe coats the electrodes? I've put new fluid in and it didn't fix it, so it's not just the conductivity of the fluid. I've seen people recommending putting salt in with the fluid, but I'm not intentionally putting salt in my car and then spraying it all over the window. :gonk:

Robot Made of Meat
Oct 16, 2015

Maybe something in the fluid coats/oxidizes the electrodes?

Anyway, it sounds like a bad thing.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Anyway, it sounds like a bad thing superior German engineering.

Fixed that for you.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Uthor posted:

That's what it is in my car. Not sure what it fucks up, maybe coats the electrodes? I've put new fluid in and it didn't fix it, so it's not just the conductivity of the fluid. I've seen people recommending putting salt in with the fluid, but I'm not intentionally putting salt in my car and then spraying it all over the window. :gonk:

I mean rainx works by coating your window glass with a slippery polymer film so probably. Also lol at people spraying salt water on their cars

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

If you want to give someone a gag gift, give at least something genuinely amusing instead of something that will end up in the trash the instant you leave.

On a completely different note, whoever designed the HTC Sense call app might have wanted to reconsider the decision to put the "call" and "end call" buttons in the exact same spot on the screen. On a slightly laggy phone you end up pressing "end call" several times, only to call back to whomever you just finished talking to.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Truck nutz

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

peanut posted:

Truck nutz

Those aren't a bad design per se: they do what they are meant to do very well, i.e., identify loving morons

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's a roundabout in Cape Town with traffic lights inside the circle itself.

I'm not sure how it affects the flow of traffic, but it does seem to remove the point of being a roundabout.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

FabioClone posted:

There's a roundabout in Cape Town with traffic lights inside the circle itself.

I'm not sure how it affects the flow of traffic, but it does seem to remove the point of being a roundabout.

Roundabouts are generally a great idea. Where they fall down is when they're used on a route which gets more traffic in one direction which then dominates the flow and causes tailbacks from the other roads leading onto it. So then they put lights on them to try and help the problem. And that just makes things worse as now where gaps in traffic would appear naturally, there's just a big block of traffic coming from one direction.

We had a decent roundabout by work so of course when everyone leaves it gets silly busy. They opened up another lane and added traffic lights and this just makes poo poo worse, traffic backs up even more these days.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

88h88 posted:

Roundabouts are generally a great idea. Where they fall down is when they're used on a route which gets more traffic in one direction which then dominates the flow and causes tailbacks from the other roads leading onto it. So then they put lights on them to try and help the problem. And that just makes things worse as now where gaps in traffic would appear naturally, there's just a big block of traffic coming from one direction.

We had a decent roundabout by work so of course when everyone leaves it gets silly busy. They opened up another lane and added traffic lights and this just makes poo poo worse, traffic backs up even more these days.

Red traffics lights that turn on only during peak times can work well if the system is designed properly.

Naturally there is not a single road department on the loving planet that is managed properly so poop to that notion.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I dunno what it's like elsewhere, but in my town, possibly state, the government has decided that turning across traffic requires the oncoming traffic to be at a complete standstill before you can move. This means you wait for the red arrow to go green regardless of whether there is any traffic coming. It's a complete pain in the rear end especially when the dickhead in front is busy on their phone and you miss the light because they're too loving slow.

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

fliptophead posted:

I dunno what it's like elsewhere, but in my town, possibly state, the government has decided that turning across traffic requires the oncoming traffic to be at a complete standstill before you can move. This means you wait for the red arrow to go green regardless of whether there is any traffic coming. It's a complete pain in the rear end especially when the dickhead in front is busy on their phone and you miss the light because they're too loving slow.

there are traffic laws here as well, those red lights too even

have you considered taking matters into your own hands? you could deliver punishment to all those slow dickheads who make you miss a light if you wanted... maybe keep a taser in your glovebox or a bat under the seat?

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012
be swift yet brutal

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

fliptophead posted:

I didn't know this was a thing until I stopped by my home town for the first time in 3 years. Other parts of town they put in roundabouts, then I see green arrows, red arrows, yellow arrows, flashing yellow arrows. WTF do they mean? Danger to all on the road, imo, unless the state/nation standardizes how they are implemented.

E:

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 5, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
lol if you're confused by green, yellow, and red arrows. Maybe drop by the DMV and pick up a drivers manual?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Completely arbitrary and useless light system change, at least in the pictured implementation.

Unless they changed green lights to mean "just loving go, if anyone hits you it will be their fault 100 percent, so you shouldn't worry about your own possible injury and death (or that of your passengers)".

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Completely arbitrary and useless light system change, at least in the pictured implementation.

Unless they changed green lights to mean "just loving go, if anyone hits you it will be their fault 100 percent, so you shouldn't worry about your own possible injury and death (or that of your passengers)".

anyone who hits me sure will have to worry about possibly injury and death???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Round green: go any direction you want, but yield per normal rules.
Red arrow: don't go this direction now
Green arrow: you can go this direction now, technically traffic should be yielding to you
Yellow arrows: redundant
Flashing yellow arrows: redundant

• Locked thread