Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

HMS Boromir posted:

please don't actually start the insanely dumb dark souls 2 was bad discussion in this most sacred of threads

But I want to rant about the Quake 2 level on top of the windmill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Gortarius posted:

There's an elevator in Barkley 2 that takes you to a volcano castle that is on top of a windmill.

Just kidding, it's a ladder not an elevator.

It's actually the ladder from MGS3, but there is also a guy in a jeep talking to you the whole time you climb the ladder. What follows shortly after is "Chapter 2: Slog" and then you replay the tutorial again and the game just ends abruptly.

You weren't funny before and you're especially not funny now that there's an official devblog so we don't have to pretend to put up with your deflections in exchange for any table scrap of information on this game.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ryaomon posted:

You weren't funny before and you're especially not funny now that there's an official devblog so we don't have to pretend to put up with your deflections in exchange for any table scrap of information on this game.

I'd argue that if anything this makes it better.

HMS Boromir posted:

this is a lovely thread but it doesnt need to be every lovely thread

Gortarius, how are the groundbreaking design and story sensibilities of Hotline Miami 2 influencing the Barkley creation process?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ryaomon posted:

that elevator joke was p good (dark souls 2 was the goty the year it came out so lol at that other guy)

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
dark souls is overhyped garbage, so it belongs in this overhyped garbage thread.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

dark souls is overhyped garbage, so it belongs in this overhyped garbage thread.

lmao

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ryaomon posted:

Gort's posts are actually very funny. The comedy in the game is probably going to be very similar to his posts, so if you don't like his posts you might not like the game. Just something to consider!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Gortarius posted:

There's an elevator in Barkley 2 that takes you to a volcano castle that is on top of a windmill.

It's actually the ladder from MGS3, but there is also a guy in a jeep talking to you the whole time you climb the ladder. What follows shortly after is "Chapter 2: Slog" and then you replay the tutorial again and the game just ends abruptly.

Wow, thanks for the spoilers. Where can I get my money back?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

Gortarius's posts are actually the only good thing that will ever come out of this thread, so I'm sorry you feel that way :(

Zombie Squared
Feb 16, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Been hyping up this thread to everyone I know.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Great, the Dark Souls 3 thread is leaking.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

obstipator posted:

game is probably going to be

there is an erroneous assumption here

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

there is an erroneous assumption here

the knucklehead thinks time is linear !! boi-oi-oi-oing !!

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I heard barkley 2 is going to have bjork jokes like "If you ever get close to a human" and "If you complain once more".

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Groovelord Neato posted:

that elevator joke was p good (dark souls 2 was the goty the year it came out so lol at that other guy)

actually that was shovel knight or bayonetta 2

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

obstipator posted:

Gort's posts are actually very funny.

oh. never knew

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
whats it like taking longer to make an indie game than dark souls 2, 2.5, 3 and bloodborne combined asking for a friend

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Stop talking about videogames you insufferable dorks.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
i hope the vidcon is coming along well

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Ryaomon posted:

whats it like taking longer to make an indie game than dark souls 2, 2.5, 3 and bloodborne combined asking for a friend

What's it like being a little bitch!!!!!!!!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ryaomon posted:

i'm gonna fuckin' change your av to kakyoin

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Node posted:

Wow, thanks for the spoilers. Where can I get my money back?

E-Mail refund@robertsspaceindustries.com

Yes, they also handle B2 refunds apparently..... :themoreyouknow: (why isnt this a cool EMOOOJIII btw?)

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Aight ill try to stream barkley work more often.
Its just been really boring stuff lately, stuff so mindless I really want to distract myself with videos while I work. Cant stream while watching vids!!

Its mostly a looping playlist of nerds playing and talking through Heretic or Hexen. That's my jam. I do my best work with 1994-1996 Raven Software lets plays.

Right now I'm looking for videos of nerds playing through very obscure dungeon crawlers, especially those eye of the beholder types with a first person view and tiled movement. Obnoxious voice-overs are a plus. Anyone's got tips??
Every time I look for dungeon crawlers all I find is a tidal wave of people playing Stone Soup. Stone Soup is great, but I know that one already, and it doesn't have the most inspiring art.

Anyway, I'll probably be finishing up some enemies soon. That aught to be more interesting than shifting sprites around for hours, I'll be sure to link here when I start.

Wizardry 4, Stonekeep, Anvil of Dawn, Might & Magics 1-4 (especially ll for the Genesis).

For newer fare: Heroes of a Broken Land, Heroine Dusk.

For non-dungeon crawler: Phantasy Star ll and lV, Rings of Power, Snatcher.

I love your channel, dude.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I mean let's be honest, Barkley 2 already came out and was called Undertale.
This terrible thread is just Dwarfnet.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

See... I really don't understand some people... the game is in Alpha... its being developed around us... they are doing things that have never been done before... not having been done.. means timelines (at best) are educated guesses, at worst pipe dreams.

As for direction... there are times that component B they are working on will have direct impact on Component ZZ that you're waiting for.

I do, however, appreciate their relative openess on what is going on ... what is halting development, what issues they encounter... and so forth... I know a bunch of released games that don't do that for their patches/updates.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What do you mean timelines are guesses? It's coming out in 2013.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Dabir posted:

What do you mean timelines are guesses? It's coming out in 2013.

That's a funny way to write "2023".

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ryaomon posted:

Personally? Making games has always been a big hobby/dream. Being able to turn it into reality, and work for a long time on a huge game and create the game I myself would love to play, is pretty much a dream come true.

My only regret is not being able to spend as much time on it as I would prefer. Life is life!

A little something to consider is that Nuclear Throne has been in development since late 2012 and just came out a few days ago. That game is in some ways similiar to B2 in terms of combat, if you add towns npcs and story and a whole bunch of other things on top of that then you have A Big Game.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 9, 2015

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
it's insane how refreshing sincerity and positivity is from a toglord after years of gortarius posts

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

it's insane how refreshing sincerity and positivity is from a toglord after years of gortarius posts

Honestly I find it both stifling and depressing. imo all news releases about this game should come in the form of gortarius' posts.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

HMS Boromir posted:

yeah really as much as I give this game poo poo it's nice to have someone say something without a shred of irony or a space jam meme

Pomp posted:

i'm gonna fuckin' change your av to kakyoin

you say that like its a bad thing

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
Experience what it’s like to destroy the world seeking occult weapons for their handcrafted aesthetic KAMI has been tasked with repairing the all-important “Jamtennas” and bring back the light. There are new companies founded on every new adventure in the spirit that compels you discover more about your past try to escape its relentless hold.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

HMS Boromir posted:

yeah ive gone from being frustrated and bitter over the lack of news and info to just being content with looking forward to an eventual release ever since the dev tumblr went up. this game is something that i'm (embarrassingly) invested in, emotionally and financially, and it's nice to know there are actual people out there trying to make a quality game to play.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Gortarius doesn't get emotionaly invested; he makes games for fun.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

HMS Boromir posted:

oh man i know you already have a gun breeding system in or whatever but it would own if there was a little harvest moon minigame where you could plant gun'seeds and grow your own

I am actually working on making a game almost exactly like what you have suggested right here. It is heavily inspired by a blurry misreading of the Barkley 2 Kickstarter page.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gortarius posted:

Chapter 2 was Good, but what I'm getting from this is that Barkley 2 was actually Chapter 3 all along.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Under the vegetable posted:

actually that was shovel knight or bayonetta 2

lmao

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Somfin posted:

I am actually working on making a game almost exactly like what you have suggested right here. It is heavily inspired by a blurry misreading of the Barkley 2 Kickstarter page.

So is Barkley 2

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'd like to think the devs, or at least some of them, have little discussions about stuff posted in this thread.

"Are we still on schedule for that 2013 release date?"
"*reads post* Added part of that guy's post to dwarfnet.txt."
"Bjork jokes, bjork jokes, are those actually going to be a thing?"
"Have any of these people actually played b1 or even supported b2?"
"Is this guy making serious suggestions or just joking around..."
"Having ammo sink into the ground sure is simple and anticlimatic"
"Should we give them a status update or keep them hanging? *goes on tirade about intentionally crafted dystopian posting environment and attitude*"

I also kind of liked the thread more when there was no actual news. I just wanted to check a very desperate thread until one day there is a post, b2 is out, and then out of nowhere it consumes at least 2 hours of my life which is pretty much how time I spend on any type of single player rpg before getting distracted by something else.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Its possible this is a Vanilla Sky situation, working on games is a dream come true so this illusion was constructed to have you working on a game for possibly hundreds of years (spoilers maybe)