Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is my experience at bunker hill normal? I'm at the mission Battle of Bunker Hill and no one is attacking me. I talk to the courser with Danse (he doesn't seem to mind) and he says it's time to go in and he calls in back up. All the synths teleport in and attack. Then the railroad comes and attacks the synths. I'm friendly with the railroad so no one attacks me. Then the BOS shows up and it's a big three way battle. I'm currently friendly with all of them so no one attacks me. I'm just walking through this big battle picking up armor and weapons and ammo. No one seems to care that I'm there. Is this normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Is my experience at bunker hill normal? I'm at the mission Battle of Bunker Hill and no one is attacking me. I talk to the courser with Danse (he doesn't seem to mind) and he says it's time to go in and he calls in back up. All the synths teleport in and attack. Then the railroad comes and attacks the synths. I'm friendly with the railroad so no one attacks me. Then the BOS shows up and it's a big three way battle. I'm currently friendly with all of them so no one attacks me. I'm just walking through this big battle picking up armor and weapons and ammo. No one seems to care that I'm there. Is this normal?

This was my experience as well. It's very easy to walk into Bunker Hill friendly with every faction.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

2house2fly posted:

3 had better shooting IMO, you could lessen the cover shooting stuff and there were some really cool encounters. Story was hokum but anyone who cringed through the previous two games' Bioware dialogue would find it pretty tolerable.

I preferred 2's shooting just because you could holster weapons. 3 felt like I was shoved into Sheppard's shoulder the whole time.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

That's exactly what I did and I thought it was hilarious because it was hyped up to be this huge hooverdam-esque battle.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
a symptom of the game being too forgiving of your choices

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Odobenidae posted:

That's exactly what I did and I thought it was hilarious because it was hyped up to be this huge hooverdam-esque battle.

It was? By who? The Institute told me to go there to grab some escaped synths, it sounded like an in-and-out thing when described by them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

JawKnee posted:

a symptom of the game being too forgiving of your choices

Going into the battle it would make perfect sense for everyone to think you're on their side, where it falls apart is they keep thinking it when you're shooting them in the face.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deified Data posted:

Going into the battle it would make perfect sense for everyone to think you're on their side, where it falls apart is they keep thinking it when you're shooting them in the face.

They turn hostile if you do it enough. At least, the Institute synths did.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Sanctum posted:

How far in are all you people who have these awesome legendary weapons you talk about? I'm on hard so I get plenty of legendary enemies but by level 38 the only really useful legendary weapon I've found is a kneecapper laser rifle which trivializes deathclaws and some other things.

I have a legendary combat shotgun that does fire damage. It's better than a normal combat shotgun, I guess. :shrug:

On very hard legendaries are pretty constant. I wander into legendary enemies at least once every single quest, often times more than once. I've gotten a bunch of good legendary weapons, but gently caress all for armor. Like, I got a 2 shot sniper rifle that with mods is basically a one hit kill on anything that's not a deathclaw, super mutant, or power armor. Or boss enemy obviously, but even them with a stored crit to the head sometimes... And legendaries often die in one shot because they mutate with the first bullet and die to the second one when it hits a head that's already lost all it's health.

Other legendaries I've found

Vast enhanced gauss rifle - I don't even use it. It's completely unfair. This WILL one shot super mutants with a headshot and a stored crit. And it's got an imbalanced-ly low AP useage, with the legendary title I think I can get off at least six shots before I run out of AP and it does like 300 damage per shot by default now.

Explosive combat shotgun - Nothing so far has survived a close range shot from it, the only reason it's not as overpowered is the accuracy is poo poo and vats is almost useless

Crippling assault rifle - My silenced automatic limb killer. One burst usually takes out a ghouls leg if it doesn't just kill them outright. Works better out of vats than in and is great in vats.

Laser rifle with crit bonuses, 15% increase in crit bar fill and I think crits do more damage? This is my "I want to have fun and maybe risk dying for a while" weapon because it's decent but not great damage without using stored crits and you have to use vats alot to take full advantage, so there's a good bit of waiting for AP to refill in battles.

There are others but they were either crap and got sold or weren't as good as what I already had and would fill essentially the same spot.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 9, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I like that every synth everywhere becomes friendly to you post-institute. Makes farming aluminum at the fishpacking plant a breeze.

"Hello there my synthetic friends, I'm here for your trays"

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

They turn hostile if you do it enough. At least, the Institute synths did.

For me it was the Railroad Heavies but even they took a few shots to the face before turning hostile.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I want to like the Railroad because of Tinker Tom but goddammit Desdemona I'm the leader of the Minutemen and I've liberated tons of settlements! Don't slag off all my hard work!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hey has anyone had a problem with finishing the quest involving the giant boat? I'm on the last step where I have to defend against a group called Scavengers, but they are all gone and the quest didn't complete. I've tried waiting a long time, fast traveling back and forth, and generally just dicking around nearby hoping to figure it out. Every now and then I find a random Scavenger walking around non-hostile and cap him, but I can't figure out where they are coming from. I've also tried killing friendlies until I fail the quest and then reloading, which I guess worked for someone.

I've seen reports of similar things happening involving quests that have you defend against some set number of attackers. Anyone have any ideas here? It's kinda silly but it killed my desire to continue playing because I want to finish this drat quest.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 9, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Odobenidae posted:

You mean three or four normal mobs?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Isn't there a console command to force completion of the current quest step?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Azhais posted:

Isn't there a console command to force completion of the current quest step?

If there is I'd love to know about it. I'll go digging through console commands on the wiki, thanks for pointing me in a direction

edit: drat there's all kinds of cool console commands I didn't know about

edit2: Cool I found that specific quest on the Wiki and there's a mention in the notes section about the bug I had and how to fix it

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 9, 2015

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm about ready to start farming legendary armor, is there any consensus on what effects are optimal? My guy's a stealthy sniper, so chameleon was my first pick, but that loving pip boy bug bothers me so much I was thinking of just getting an entire set of Powered/VATS Enhanced.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Techniichan posted:

Any recommendations on what gear to upgrade to? I'm currently level 39, Institute = dead Railroad, strength/agility stealth build, alternating between Grognak's Axe + Grognak's costume and Pickman's Blade + random legendary synth gear. I've been playing aesthetically, but survivability from failed shank attempts would be nice.

Get the Kremvh blade or whatever it's called in Dunwich Borers. Remove the sacrificial blade upgrade at a work bench, which turns it into a regular machete. Find a good Legendary machete and give it the sacrificial blade. You now have a great melee weapon. I had a 40% VATS reduction machete with the sacrificial blade and nothing else I found in the game was nearly as effective. I could get 7 or 8 hits in VATS, each adding bleed and poison. Also with maxed ninja the drat thing has a 12.0 backstab multiplier.

As for armor, did you get the ballistic weave upgrade ability from the Railroad before wiping them out? If so, you can reinforce one of a few sets of clothing (army uniform, baseball uniform, or summer shorts) and wear armor over that, adding 110 defense at max armor skill. You can do this to certain hats too, like the Fedora, and a 110 defense hat is much better than any helmet that's not power armor.

Hotkey jet and dose yourself if you fail your shank attempt, jet is basically a get out of jail free card.

Psychosis 01
Nov 6, 2011

TheSpiritFox posted:

Explosive combat shotgun - Nothing so far has survived a close range shot from it, the only reason it's not as overpowered is the accuracy is poo poo and vats is almost useless

I regret not keeping this one and rolling for an irradiated shotty instead, I just didn't want the pellets to blow up in my face with the Demolition Expert perk maxed out

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hey has anyone had a problem with finishing the quest involving the giant boat? I'm on the last step where I have to defend against a group called Scavengers, but they are all gone and the quest didn't complete. I've tried waiting a long time, fast traveling back and forth, and generally just dicking around nearby hoping to figure it out. Every now and then I find a random Scavenger walking around non-hostile and cap him, but I can't figure out where they are coming from. I've also tried killing friendlies until I fail the quest and then reloading, which I guess worked for someone.

I've seen reports of similar things happening involving quests that have you defend against some set number of attackers. Anyone have any ideas here? It's kinda silly but it killed my desire to continue playing because I want to finish this drat quest.

After you hold those scavvers back, you're supposed to talk to Ironsides one last time, he asks you to fire up the auxiliary power. Down the street a bit on the left is a building, you climb to the third floor and hit a switch and watch the rockets do their thing, and you're done with the quest. Make sure the quest is selected for the indicator, get down to street level and you should see it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Filthy Hans posted:

After you hold those scavvers back, you're supposed to talk to Ironsides one last time, he asks you to fire up the auxiliary power. Down the street a bit on the left is a building, you climb to the third floor and hit a switch and watch the rockets do their thing, and you're done with the quest. Make sure the quest is selected for the indicator, get down to street level and you should see it.

My quest is still to Defend the Constitution, and my marker leads to inside the ship but there's nobody in there but friendly robots, because I killed all the scavengers. I think I found a solution on the wiki for this particular problem though, it involves using console commands to progress the quest.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 9, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm about ready to start farming legendary armor, is there any consensus on what effects are optimal? My guy's a stealthy sniper, so chameleon was my first pick, but that loving pip boy bug bothers me so much I was thinking of just getting an entire set of Powered/VATS Enhanced.

All things being equal I'd probably just want some combination of acrobat's, cunning, lucky, or powered. Or maybe just "Low Weight" since weight of armor affects stealth.

Low Weight Ultra-Lightweight Shadowed Combat Armor

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I kinda like the Minutemen the best out of the various factions, but I've reconquered the Castle and all Preston Garvey has for me to do is endless "go kill these raiders/ghouls/super mutants" missions that don't give me extra settlements. Is there something I need to do to "finish" the Minutemen, or is it over except for endless samey missions?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Cojawfee posted:

The end of game gets a really lovely feel to it because you are basically getting teleported to all the big battles and they are stupid.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i really wish you could select static objects/buildings and stuff in the console for fo4, there's always too much stuff in the way limiting the angles

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Interesting, it seems Bethesda is looking to expand a little

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I'm trying to max a settlement's happiness for the trophy and it sucks. I have 5 people in the settlement, all working the 3rd tier medical station. I have around 70 defense which should be more than enough for 5 people. I have the size pretty much maxed out, I had to take the fourth floor off my estate to free up cap space to build things I needed. I have a zillion cat paintings. I've had the game running for a couple hours at least and happiness has climbed from 93 to 95. I don't even want to do any questing because some sources claim leaving the settlement can bug out the happiness value. I can't decide if this is even worse than the headshot trophy from Witcher 3...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I skip 400 pages and people still talk about this damsel in distress bullshit

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Filthy Hans posted:

I'm trying to max a settlement's happiness for the trophy and it sucks. I have 5 people in the settlement, all working the 3rd tier medical station. I have around 70 defense which should be more than enough for 5 people. I have the size pretty much maxed out, I had to take the fourth floor off my estate to free up cap space to build things I needed. I have a zillion cat paintings. I've had the game running for a couple hours at least and happiness has climbed from 93 to 95. I don't even want to do any questing because some sources claim leaving the settlement can bug out the happiness value. I can't decide if this is even worse than the headshot trophy from Witcher 3...

I ran into a bug where whenever I was away from Sanctuary the game would complain that there was not enough water and no beds. Every time I'd teleport back and my 16 beds (for 10 npcs) and boatload of water are still there. I don't even know.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Nitrox posted:

I skip 400 pages and people still talk about this damsel in distress bullshit

New page, same website.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The named NPCs gently caress up something really bad in Sanctuary. I suspect it's largely Mama Murphy and the Husband and Wifes fault. Sturges seems to work fine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I killed Swan with the Rockville Slugger and took no damage by popping a bufftat and nuka-cola quantum and standing still. Miniguns and more powerful weapons tear me up if I can't blitz to them but other than that nothing's really a threat for a melee build.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

The named NPCs gently caress up something really bad in Sanctuary. I suspect it's largely Mama Murphy and the Husband and Wifes fault. Sturges seems to work fine.

is this why my entire town of sanctuary just sits behind the house that has the workshop and does almost nothing regardless of what I assign them to do?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

double nine posted:

I ran into a bug where whenever I was away from Sanctuary the game would complain that there was not enough water and no beds. Every time I'd teleport back and my 16 beds (for 10 npcs) and boatload of water are still there. I don't even know.

From what I could tell from the internet, it seems to be something fast-travel related. Instead of fast traveling out of Sanctuary, run on foot out of the buildable area for a while, until you're a ways out from the settlement, then try fast travel.

I still sometimes get Sanctuary complaining, but it seems to complain less when I use this method.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I ran into the bug where Kent won't upgrade my Silver Shroud armor and he's a real piece of poo poo, I'm level 65, I can't keep running around in the base silver shroud set you gently caress

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can't reliably get anyone to move to Sanctuary, while the rest of my towns are filling up.

Commissar Budgie
Aug 10, 2011

I am a Commissar. I am empowered to deliver justice wherever I see it lacking. I am empowered to punish cowardice. I am granted the gift of total authority to judge, in the name of the Emperor, on the field of combat.
this game blows, and i can't stop playing

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

shovelbum posted:

I can't reliably get anyone to move to Sanctuary, while the rest of my towns are filling up.

They've all heard about the Longs and can't stand the idea of living near them

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Fereydun posted:

i really wish you could select static objects/buildings and stuff in the console for fo4, there's always too much stuff in the way limiting the angles

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a isometric 3 or NV. It probably wouldn't control good but it'd be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Interesting. Deacon introduces you to Desdemona in many ways. If you've only progressed some of the way through the Minutemen, he mentions you're rebuilding them out of Sanctuary. If you've got the Castle and artillery, he calls you the general of the minutemen. If you've gone exploring into dangerous areas a bunch, he mentions how you like delving into crazy, dangerous areas a lot. If your first time meeting them is because you've just killed a courser, Deacon introduces you as the "courser-killer" and fast-forwards your introduction process.

I wonder how many other achivements he recognizes.

• Locked thread