Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

One thing I think is interesting is that we had a conversation in this thread a while back about the more human side of the Empire and how a lot of them are probably decent folks fooled by propaganda or just looking for a job or a way off their shithole planet or whatever, and Lost Stars actually seems to back that up. All the characters are Imperials still and not one of them's a bad person or are even remotely aware of the bad things the Empire does due to state control of the media. Even the guy that's all jaded with the Empire and is almost certainly going to join the rebels is just upset with minor things like the empire forcing trade deals that are only beneficial to themselves and senators being corrupt and stuff. And I'm just past the point in the book where the Tantive IV gets captured in the first movie so it's not like it's early when the Empire's still solidifying it's rule or anything. Pretty interesting that that sort of gets addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randumb Thots
Apr 5, 2015
I always liked the Assault Gunboat, but I realize I'm probably the only one. And maybe I'm biased cause I could wreck poo poo in that thing in Tie Fighter.

I always liked the uniqueness of the B-Wing too, even though I realize it's canon. Ugly, but interesting looking.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Why isn't the B-wing the t wing? It's a t.

Come to think of it, isn't the written language in Star Wars some weird gobbleygook? How do they know to call them X-wings, they don't have Xs???

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

PostNouveau posted:

Come to think of it, isn't the written language in Star Wars some weird gobbleygook? How do they know to call them X-wings, they don't have Xs???

Look at this nerd not knowing his aurebesh.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

Why do Klingons have the big forehead ridges and stuff in The Next Generation when they didn't in The Original Series????

The answer: the question is stupid and you should already know the answer.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

PostNouveau posted:

B-Wing is short for Blade-Wing, since it looks like a sword (thats the official reason)

And the T-Wing is This

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Booblord Zagats posted:

B-Wing is short for Blade-Wing, since it looks like a sword (thats the official reason)

thats really stupid instead of just having them be different models or something but x wings look like x so here we are

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do Klingons have the big forehead ridges and stuff in The Next Generation when they didn't in The Original Series????

Genetic virus, duh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That T-wing article reminds me of something: given that this poo poo takes place in space, where there is zero gravity, drag, wind, etc. who the gently caress cares what a ship looks like?

quote:

As per the A-wing, weapons were light, with only dual laser cannons being fitted in order to maintain maneuverability.

Why would adding more weapons affect maneuverability in space??

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

drunk asian neighbor posted:

That T-wing article reminds me of something: given that this poo poo takes place in space, where there is zero gravity, drag, wind, etc. who the gently caress cares what a ship looks like?

higher mass away from the center of mass produces a higher moment of inertia

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

And more power needed by the generator to function , taking away from the power needed to make maneuvering thrusters work

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

In space? Wouldn't the ship have no mass, and any inertia caused would be from the force of its engines firing? In that case you should be able to compensate for virtually any shape/size of ship with proper engine placement, no?

Like AFAIK literally the only reason the space shuttles were shaped the way they were was that they could actually negotiate re-entry into the atmosphere/gravity and glide down after re-entry; aerodynamics kind of goes out the window when you remove the "aero" part of it.

Also so this conversation doesn't get too :goonsay::

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Butter
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Cake
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Foodstuff/Canon
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Foodstuff/Legends

e: I may be confusing mass and weight, I dunno, freshman Physics was a long-rear end time ago

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 10, 2015

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

quote:

On Imperial starships, officers were encouraged to avoid consuming solid food and drink nutritive beverages instead, because it was more efficient in terms of ship resources and officer time.

The Empire is run by tech startups.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just like that there is a canon and a non-canon entry for food and they are completely different

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

They also operate in-atmosphere.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

The letter X is actually force sensitive so it operates across languages. It was instrumental in stealing the original death star plans from darth vader and furthermore :suicide:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

e: I may be confusing mass and weight, I dunno, freshman Physics was a long-rear end time ago

you are

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The Tie Crawler is the most hilarious thing to me.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Light Gun Man posted:

The Tie Crawler is the most hilarious thing to me.

Expendable very lightly armed and armored single crew tank with no way to aim aside from rotating the vehicle

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
those shits are horrible in Empire at War when they run over your dudes though

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

One thing I think is interesting is that we had a conversation in this thread a while back about the more human side of the Empire and how a lot of them are probably decent folks fooled by propaganda or just looking for a job or a way off their shithole planet or whatever, and Lost Stars actually seems to back that up. All the characters are Imperials still and not one of them's a bad person or are even remotely aware of the bad things the Empire does due to state control of the media. Even the guy that's all jaded with the Empire and is almost certainly going to join the rebels is just upset with minor things like the empire forcing trade deals that are only beneficial to themselves and senators being corrupt and stuff. And I'm just past the point in the book where the Tantive IV gets captured in the first movie so it's not like it's early when the Empire's still solidifying it's rule or anything. Pretty interesting that that sort of gets addressed.

Nice. I'm interested. Please post when you finish and what you ultimately thought of it.

PostNouveau posted:

Oh boy never look up the k-wing.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I also love that the Crawler is a punishment detail to grounded pilots

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chill la Chill posted:

Nice. I'm interested. Please post when you finish and what you ultimately thought of it.

The K- wing does look like a K if you tilt it 90 degrees though :v:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
K-lamity Wing

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
I like the E-wing because it is literally the Space F-35.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Only uglier.

Speaking of, I like the concept of uglies which is criminals basically kit bashing poo poo from the junkyard together.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

bunnyofdoom posted:

Only uglier.

Speaking of, I like the concept of uglies which is criminals basically kit bashing poo poo from the junkyard together.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TYE-wing

quote:

The TYE-wing essentially combined the key weaknesses of both the TIE fighter and the Y-wing, yet had the strengths of neither. Many pilots dubbed them "DIE-wings", as the survival rate of TYE-Wing pilots was appallingly low.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

They also operate in-atmosphere.

Ok I'm veering dangerously close to Wookiepedia-contributor status here, but if they were taking in-atmosphere flight into account, the standard TIE fighter kind of throws that out the window - it has literally no way of staying in the air aside from engines. At least the X-wings and to a lesser extent Y and A-wings look like they'd be able to glide out if their engines failed, whereas the TIE would just drop like a stone (probably even faster, since its wings are vertically oriented).

I mean bottom line I think it's silly as hell to say "they couldn't add more weapons due to engine/maneuverability design constraints" but then you get wonky designs like Slave I and Xizor's Viper or Virago or whatever and that's A-OK with everyone.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Ok I'm veering dangerously close to Wookiepedia-contributor status here, but if they were taking in-atmosphere flight into account, the standard TIE fighter kind of throws that out the window - it has literally no way of staying in the air aside from engines. At least the X-wings and to a lesser extent Y and A-wings look like they'd be able to glide out if their engines failed, whereas the TIE would just drop like a stone (probably even faster, since its wings are vertically oriented).

I mean bottom line I think it's silly as hell to say "they couldn't add more weapons due to engine/maneuverability design constraints" but then you get wonky designs like Slave I and Xizor's Viper or Virago or whatever and that's A-OK with everyone.

They address that in the X-wing books that in atmosphere you can evade ties by going left/right since they have to roll before they can turn to follow. Everything has respulsors so staying in the air isn't that big of a deal, but being able to maneuver still is.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

TK-42-1 posted:

They address that in the X-wing books that in atmosphere you can evade ties by going left/right since they have to roll before they can turn to follow. Everything has respulsors so staying in the air isn't that big of a deal, but being able to maneuver still is.

Sometimes I hate that I remember poo poo like this.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

I think it's probably safe to say that trying to analyze the feasibility of various ships from Star Wars will only lead to pain and suffering for everyone. Truly it is the path to the Dark Side.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There is a reason that the fighters in the new star war battlefront fly like they are in space even though the whole game is in-atmosphere.

It's because nobody wants that poo poo.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

TK-42-1 posted:

I was about to respond with a small explanation of repulsorlift vs maneuverability but you beat me to it, so at least theres two of us who wasted our lives learning this poo poo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I bet if I took all the time and brain I spent learning the minutae of science fiction and poo poo, I could have a docterate and speak three languages.

But no, I know the name of the jawa that shot R2D2 instead. Thanks, Young Otisburg. you really hosed me over.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I remember that this character was supposed to play a big role in Episode 2 but the actress got caught with drugs or some poo poo and they created Sam Wessel to carry on, so everytime George Lucas says the prequels are exactly as he came up with them in 1975 I just think "What a load of poo poo"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Chill la Chill posted:

Wow, that thing is stupid.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Otisburg posted:

I bet if I took all the time and brain I spent learning the minutae of science fiction and poo poo, I could have a docterate and speak three languages.

It's probably not too late if you just stop liking Star Wars.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Booblord Zagats posted:

I remember that this character was supposed to play a big role in Episode 2 but the actress got caught with drugs or some poo poo and they created Sam Wessel to carry on, so everytime George Lucas says the prequels are exactly as he came up with them in 1975 I just think "What a load of poo poo"

Zam Wessel wasn't even a shapeshifter until they were doing principal photography, she apparently was meant to be a human female until post-production added a CGI mask to her when she died.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Young Freud posted:

Zam Wessel wasn't even a shapeshifter until they were doing principal photography, she apparently was meant to be a human female until post-production added a CGI mask to her when she died.

They'll cover it up with a bantha walking in front of her as she dies in the special editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Young Freud posted:

I feel really bad for everyone involved with making a film for Lucas at anypoint after 1987

• Locked thread