Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I dunno I think the biggest Paper Mario troll is still when you reunite a newly wed couple, but the husband dropped his ring in the jungle. On top of having to find his ring, you also have to hear him apologize to his wife 100 times.

Really. The game makes you mash through 100 individual dialogue boxes of "I'm sorry".

VVV Paper Mario and TTYD are both really good games, and often when the writers make you endure something annoying it has good humor value. There are just a few moments that stand out as being exceptionally cruel to the player.

Internet Kraken has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Dec 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I dunno I think the biggest Paper Mario troll is still when you reunite a newly wed couple, but the husband dropped his ring in the jungle. On top of having to find his ring, you also have to hear him apologize to his wife 100 times.

Really. The game makes you mash through 100 individual dialogue boxes of "I'm sorry".

How many things in that game are just some variation of "endure this annoying thing for 100 times/long period of time" cause that seems to be most of what's listed in this thread about it. It sounds obnoxiously terrible

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Paper Mario TTYD is a good game that could stand to be about a fourth less long. The 30 fight chapter could've done with a few less maybe and there could've been way less backtracking for the fourth one too.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

I hear they fixed this now (haven't played since I bought it on a whim ages ago), but does the contents of your trash bin still shotgun out like a volcano of entrails and bullet casings painting the ceiling and landing on air ducts, if it tips over, and you have the nerve to use the upright alignment button? That would always create an even bigger and more impossible to clean up mess than I had started with whenever it happened :shepface:

Kinda binging on the game right now, and they've partially resolved that. The upright alignment button moves things a bit slower, and holding down that button and moving the mouse allows you to manually adjust things.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

Paper Mario TTYD is a good game that could stand to be about a fourth less long. The 30 fight chapter could've done with a few less maybe and there could've been way less backtracking for the fourth one too.

A lot of people seem to like it, but I can't stand the glitz pit. Every other side quest in that game basically comes down to "go to the glitz pit and talk to a guy. Go somewhere else and talk to someone. Repeat until done." Which becomes awful when you realize there's a cutscene every time you go to or leave the pit.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Super Paper Mario was so loving awful.

I want to get into TTYD but for some reason I always lose interest around the first "dungeon" with the dragon boss. I don't know why :(

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I don't understand how people can hate Super Paper Mario so much when Sticker Star exists.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

more than one thing can be bad

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

more than one thing can be bad

Super Paper Mario wasn't even that bad though?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It was my first Paper Mario so I wasn't expecting an RPG and can confirm it's actually almost... Good. :aaaaa:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hopefully the Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi crossover will not end up being the disappointing mishmash I expect it to be given more recent installments in each series.

Microcontribution: in The Thousand Year Door, there's a section where an enemy literally steals Mario's body for some time and you have to get your body back by guessing his name. This is done by a typical 'enter word, letter by letter' menu, except that one letter needed to spell his name out is literally unselectable. So you can't get your body back, see?
Part of your quest is to, in the world of the chapter, literally find this letter hidden in the world, because the game loves playing with meta-elements, so that you can finally give that thieving ruffian a sound trouncing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Roro posted:

Super Paper Mario wasn't even that bad though?

That's true... in opposite land!!!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Roro posted:

I don't understand how people can hate Super Paper Mario so much when Sticker Star exists.

I just try to pretend sticker star doesn't exist.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Internet Kraken posted:

VVV Paper Mario and TTYD are both really good games, and often when the writers make you endure something annoying it has good humor value. There are just a few moments that stand out as being exceptionally cruel to the player.

What goes on at a game developer that ends with something like this actually making it out the door?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Polaron posted:

What goes on at a game developer that ends with something like this actually making it out the door?

"Wouldn't it be funny if..."

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
If it was just one, or even two obvious fingers thrown at the player, it'd probably be regarded as super funny. That they just. keep. happening. almost sounds something like the director in a meeting rifled off a bunch of these funny screw you ideas, then forgot to mention that they should decide which one they're going with, so the programmers just put all of them in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I think Super Paper Mario wouldn't get nearly as much flack if the Paper Mario series didn't just die after it was made. Personally I think Super Paper Mario has it moments and I'd never call it bad when Sticker Star exists, which is truly dreadful.

Polaron posted:

Sometimes developers think its funny to mess with the player, and I guess the people making the Paper Mario games really enjoyed doing it.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I've never played Paper Mario. Everyone goes on about Paper Mario, but lets get a proper Super Mario RPG sequel going,eh?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Johnny Aztec posted:

I've never played Paper Mario. Everyone goes on about Paper Mario, but lets get a proper Super Mario RPG sequel going,eh?

That's probably what Mario & Luigi is, to be honest. Those games are made by ex-Square alumni, so they're the closest we'll get to SMRPG again, I imagine.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Sometimes developers think its funny to mess with the player, and I guess the people making the Paper Mario games really enjoyed doing it.

It's mostly specific to super paper mario though. Thousand year door had cases of very bad design with too much backtracking, but it didn't have a part where you have to literally hold a direction for 10-15 minutes running on a hamster wheel. Or let you get through the pit of 100 trials just to tell you to gently caress off and do it again. It completely deserves its horrible reputation.

Super paper mario failed in a lot of other ways too, for example having your companions be nothing but abilities after a couple of completely one-dimensional lines right after you unlock them. In thousand year door and the original game they were actual characters. Gameplay-wise SPM started out as a pretty fun platformer with a nice 2D/3D gimmick but its bad design and constant middle fingers to the player kept it from sustaining that for more than one world.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Maybe you should play Paper Mario

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Polaron posted:

"Miyamoto-san said so"

The reason that Sticker Star has almost no dialogue or story despite being part of a series known for its fun writing was because Miyamoto ordered it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

That's probably what Mario & Luigi is, to be honest. Those games are made by ex-Square alumni, so they're the closest we'll get to SMRPG again, I imagine.

My biggest issue with Mario and Luigi is that it hinges too much on the dodging mechanics. When I buy a JRPG I don't expect to have to actually engage the game at all. I just want to click buttons and watch turns happen. But then the enemies in mario and luigi tend to be unexpectedly hard so you have to actually put effort into dodging and learning the attacks, even the last boss in one of them has a gimmick where you're stuck with one HP and have to survive an annoying volley of attacks. In Mario RPG and even paper mario, though I think there are a few gimmick areas in paper mario that expect you to, you could beat the game without using the timed attacks, though it would be harder.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

This was the reason I never played paper mario, which I regret now. I was really pissed when it first came out that there was a new RPG mario that wasn't mario RPG. I was also like 12

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Paper Mario and Mario&Luigi games are all way better than SMRPG anyways.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Snip: know what I misread what was said.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

The Paper Mario and Mario&Luigi games are all way better than SMRPG anyways.

Yeah, I dunno if it’s just nostalgia, but I played Paper Mario first and SMRPG second, and SMRPG seemed really bland by comparison. I think I gave up at some waterfall town or something, I really didn’t enjoy it much.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah, I dunno if it’s just nostalgia, but I played Paper Mario first and SMRPG second, and SMRPG seemed really bland by comparison. I think I gave up at some waterfall town or something, I really didn’t enjoy it much.

I love SMRPG more than paper mario but it's barely a mario game. Half the enemies aren't even mario-ey creatures. You could basically just replace what little in it is mario with anything and it'd be just as good.

Personally I also think the first paper mario is way better than the second. It had less of that "tee-hee now run to this place, then run back and go back to that place again!" sort of stuff and the game just felt like a neater overall package even if it had way less content in general. I also like that the whole paper thing was just, well, a thing. No one ever commented on it. I didn't like all the nudge-nudge wink-wink "get it he's made of paper" jokes and commentary the second one was filled with.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I love SMRPG more than paper mario but it's barely a mario game. Half the enemies aren't even mario-ey creatures. You could basically just replace what little in it is mario with anything and it'd be just as good.

Personally I also think the first paper mario is way better than the second. It had less of that "tee-hee now run to this place, then run back and go back to that place again!" sort of stuff and the game just felt like a neater overall package even if it had way less content in general. I also like that the whole paper thing was just, well, a thing. No one ever commented on it. I didn't like all the nudge-nudge wink-wink "get it he's made of paper" jokes and commentary the second one was filled with.
Yeah, that's a big part of what disappointed me going to it from Paper Mario. PM was a huge love letter to the series (before, well, every Mario game was that) and SMRPG just felt like a - well-done! - generic "cute" RPG. I probably wouldn't have noticed if I'd played them the other way around.

Definitely agree with your second point, I think that's why I never end up getting through TTYD. I keep meaning to give it a proper shot though :(

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

In HELLDIVERS, new players can join your game mid-match by a drop pod. These seem to be specifically targeted to kill at least one current player. It's usually pretty funny.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

On the subject of Super Paper Mario, here's one of my favourite trolls from that game that doesn't involve doing something over a long period of time or a large number of times. In Chapter 5, there's an area where there are three blocks arranged side by side that you need to hit in a specific sequence in order to proceed. The code you need to enter is given to you by an NPC at the end of a fairly lengthy path nearby. You go down this path, expecting to be given maybe five or six inputs you have to remember, only for the NPC to tell you that this is the code:

Middle, Right, Left, Left, Right, Middle, Right, Left, Right, Right, Middle, Right, Right, Left, Middle, Middle, Left, Left, Left, Right, Left, Left, Left, Middle, Middle.

Naturally, the game flat out tells you to whip out a pen and paper and start writing.

EDIT: v Well I guess technically it still does now that you mention it, but I meant more in a different sort of way than just repeatedly mashing through a wall of repeating text. :v:

Trash Boat has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Dec 12, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Trash Boat posted:

On the subject of Super Paper Mario, here's one of my favourite trolls from that game that doesn't involve doing something over a long period of time or a large number of times. In Chapter 5, there's an area where there are three blocks arranged side by side that you need to hit in a specific sequence in order to proceed. The code you need to enter is given to you by an NPC at the end of a fairly lengthy path nearby. You go down this path, expecting to be given maybe five or six inputs you have to remember, only for the NPC to tell you that this is the code:

Middle, Right, Left, Left, Right, Middle, Right, Left, Right, Right, Middle, Right, Right, Left, Middle, Middle, Left, Left, Left, Right, Left, Left, Left, Middle, Middle.

Naturally, the game flat out tells you to whip out a pen and paper and start writing.

:catbert:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
Am I the only one who loved the troll poo poo in Super Paper Mario and thought it was hilarious?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Paper Mario comes from the same devs as Fire Emblem, disdain for the player shouldn't really be a surprise. :v:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

g0lbez posted:

Am I the only one who loved the troll poo poo in Super Paper Mario and thought it was hilarious?

It is hilarious. That game just loves loving with the player, but not to the point where it's actively unpleasant.

Also, anyone complaining about the hamster wheel level is stupid as poo poo. You only need to earn ten rubies in the slowest wheel, and even that doesn't take long at all. Everything else is just a matter of talking to the right people.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I can't help but like a game where one of the bosses, when faced with Peach (just like one of his japanese animes), is completely incapable of talking to her. And as a result, forces the game to turn to this:

(Why are there almost no good screenshots of this segment)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's mostly specific to super paper mario though. Thousand year door had cases of very bad design with too much backtracking

Another entry for the thread is actually in Thousand Year Door. One of the final parts involves tracking down an NPC, which has you backtrack to every major location in the game because you always "just missed him".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
And then when you find him, he's asleep. So you have to jump on him to wake him up. Repeatedly. Like, you have to stomp on him 50+ times or something before he gets up.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

g0lbez posted:

Super Paper Mario was a loving masterpiece start to finish.

I still am amazed at how many people complain about the "OMG YOU HAVE TO HOLD RIGHT FOREVER" part online, it's like advertising that you're dumb enough to get outwitted by a loving Mario game.

The actual hardest part is finding the TP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

mycot posted:

Another entry for the thread is actually in Thousand Year Door. One of the final parts involves tracking down an NPC, which has you backtrack to every major location in the game because you always "just missed him".

Is that not the obvious solution, though? I mean, like, I start a puzzle like this, I assume that he's either A) in a location which has been quite thoroughly drilled into my head at this point (dude's big on boats, mentions the docks area, docks folks mention him showing up every now and again, he's got a T-shirt saying "Boy I'm looking forward to being found by the player in the docks district later on", etc), B) in a new location which has just now been opened up, or C) You fuckers are just gonna put him in the last possible place that I visit aren't you, haha, well done game designers.

• Locked thread