Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Any relation to Lynn Aloysius Belvedere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's a word I found in a dictionary because BlitzBlast had moral objections to the word "Tower".

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
That's the other problem I have with translating ALL setting names, too. While Scarlet Devil Mansion (and even House of Eternity) make sense, sometimes the names will just be whatever the writer thinks looks/sounds cool, and Hakugyokuro is one such case (because I can't think of any other reason why ZUN would include 楼 "tower" in the name, except for maybe its visual similarity with 桜 "cherry blossoms")

EDIT: Actually, a quick google shows that Hakugyokuro is a pre-existing term referring to an actual tower in the heavens where dead writers would go. ZUN just probably used it without any consideration for that, seeing as how in Touhou, it's just a sprawling garden.

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 9, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Man I remember that conversation. It ultimately boiled down to me flipping a coin to see if I'd translate the name or not, and well I guess George Washington likes his location names in English.

We translated House of Eternity too to be consistent. Of course Kourindou is right there sooooo.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

leather fedora posted:

That's the other problem I have with translating ALL setting names, too. While Scarlet Devil Mansion (and even House of Eternity) make sense, sometimes the names will just be whatever the writer thinks looks/sounds cool, and Hakugyokuro is one such case (because I can't think of any other reason why ZUN would include 楼 "tower" in the name, except for maybe its visual similarity with 桜 "cherry blossoms")

EDIT: Actually, a quick google shows that Hakugyokuro is a pre-existing term referring to an actual tower in the heavens where dead writers would go. ZUN just probably used it without any consideration for that, seeing as how in Touhou, it's just a sprawling garden.
It's a metaphor. The tower was inside you all along.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Honestly, I don't see anything wrong with "the House of Eternity." Sounds kinda cool to me. Probably the best of the translated place names (Scarlet Devil Mansion also sounds silly to me). When they get to the Palace of Earth Spirits though, I just started calling it "the palace" after the first couple times.

Edit: The Tower of White Jade is the second best, especially since it automatically has that pre-existing mythical/poetic flavor to it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also ZUN picked Hakugyokuro because it's related to dead poets. Like, you know, Yuyuko's namesake.

Really White Jade Tower or whatever would be a perfectly fine name if ZUN had put a tower in the place. I was actually going to just throw up my hands and rename it White Jade Pagoda once we decided we were actually translating it, but Belvedere is actually the perfect word since while it has the connotations of being a high place, it primarily means a building overlooking a beautiful view. Works great for a garden!

Nook
Jan 27, 2015

Despite being the most Western establishment in Gensokyo the Scarlet Devil Mansion sounds the weirdest in English.

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan
"Scarlet Devil Mansion" sounds totally fine, because the name of the game is "Embodiment of Scarlet Devil". It's the mansion that belongs to the titular Scarlet Devil.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Belvedere might be perfectly appropriate, but there's an inherent dishonesty in a writer using words they're not already familiar with. In the worst case scenario, it ends up having a totally different nuance than you imagined.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RIP White Jade Shank.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dislike "White Jade Belvedere" because it is a mouthful and doesn't really roll of the tongue. But then again "Hakugyokuro" has a similar problem so the translation doesn't come off as all that worse.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
My objection to "White Jade Belvedere" is that aside from sounding awkward, it also sounds too calculated. Like whoever named it wants to make sure I engage with the White Jade Belvedere brand. It's probably within walking distance of the Misty Lake Esplanade.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

I Love You! posted:

I always expected to expand well as Shinuyama that's why I tested exactly no battles before playing them in this game

Real Talk: holy poo poo shinuyama is horrible
Well they don't have Oni like in EA or Ryujin like in LA, but Bakemono Sorcerers are recruitable everywhere. The downside is that they're incredibly old. Kappas aren't that bad either for getting UW, but that's not really saying much since the Bakemono troops are garbage. The other mages are fine though, with the Uba being a decent sitesearcher or battlemage or the cheap mountain recruitable Bakemono shaman.
Your summons are still pretty good, with my favorite being the Kitsune and the Dai Tengu.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

amuayse posted:

Well they don't have Oni like in EA or Ryujin like in LA, but Bakemono Sorcerers are recruitable everywhere. The downside is that they're incredibly old. Kappas aren't that bad either for getting UW, but that's not really saying much since the Bakemono troops are garbage. The other mages are fine though, with the Uba being a decent sitesearcher or battlemage or the cheap mountain recruitable Bakemono shaman.
Your summons are still pretty good, with my favorite being the Kitsune and the Dai Tengu.

The words are familiar, but i dont think your in the right thread mate

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Strangely appropriate.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

amuayse posted:

mima confirmed for sure

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

El Burbo posted:

The words are familiar, but i dont think your in the right thread mate

Does anyone know if the Dai Tengu is a wolf or a crow? Or is it just a fandom creation and is never actually mentioned in canon?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

It resurrected like, a week after it died. :v:

I was actually wondering why you stopped posting in it too. Guess I know now.
I feel bad I basically missed out on a year's worth of effort/work. Sorry.
I'm gonna try and catch up now but thanks a ton to everyone who worked on that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

PMiSS mentions a variety of tengu castes, the Daitengu is just one of those. Crow and Wolf tengu are just two castes of, like, five. We've never seen any of the other three, although SoPM describes one of them (not daitengu) as the long-nosed type. Daitengu are supposedly the upper management. Incidentally, Daitengu just means Greater Tengu or something.

The actual leader of the tengu is someone named Tenma, who was mentioned as having negotiated with Kanako in MoF. It's not clear if Tenma is even part of the caste system at all.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Dec 9, 2015

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

celeron 300a posted:

mima confirmed for sure

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDmWZFzifEk

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
give back gensokyo clay

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
The only type of Belvedere I know are a butler and a vodka.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
We're talking about Yuyuko riding in one of these right?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Elliotw2 posted:

We're talking about Yuyuko riding in one of these right?

Close, but it'd be more like:

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
While we're on the subject of mistranslated Touhou things, what's the deal with the "wait warmly" and "watch warmly" translation? Which is correct?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's confusion over that? It's "wait warmly", the engrish you see on the game loading screens.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

SirSlarty posted:

The only type of Belvedere I know are a butler and a vodka.

We may not agree on clownpiece but I agree with you on this.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

BlitzBlast posted:

There's confusion over that? It's "wait warmly", the engrish you see on the game loading screens.
There clearly is confusion, since it's always been "watch warmly." Start up PCB or IN and it's one of the first things you see.

(I swear I'm not trying to bust your chops or anything.)

leather fedora fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 10, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Welp. Guess I should actually play the games sometime soon. :v:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Thank you, girls.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Wasn't sure if the title screens were translated since I always load the English patches and wasn't sure if the title screen was hard-translated.

I've seen "wait warmly" more often in English derivative works.

celeron 300a posted:

We may not agree on clownpiece but I agree with you on this.

Both are fantastic 80's/90's things.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I prefer "Drink Copiously" myself.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
I love the little disclaimer at the end of MoF.

"The legal drinking age is 20, so let's enjoy deliciously and responsibly."

But sadly, that was originally in japanese. not engrish,

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I hope I'm not too late to post a smug Junko.

Bonus smug Clownpiece

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

It's never too late to post Clownpiece.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Smunko

Smugpiece

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Forbidden Scrollery 31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Whoa, I didn't know a new Curiosities of Lotus Asia got made. Cool