Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

oooh im just sooo mad about fantasy prose! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

PJOmega posted:

The Brandon Sanderson school of writing. Why describe something once when you can describe it six times a page?

Brandon Sanderson is cool and good and also I lost the one time I got to draft against him because Silumgar the Drifting Death is really hard to stop :colbert:.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Brandon Sanderson is cool and good and also I lost the one time I got to draft against him because Silumgar the Drifting Death is really hard to stop :colbert:.

He was in LSV's chat a few nights ago. He was supposed to be signing books but he pretty much ended up doing an impromptu AMA.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Literally The Worst posted:

there's no chat thread anymore so this is the closest thread i have to post about card game bullshit

there's a kickstarter to resurrect VS System

i look forward to that game dying, again

Which stretch goal is Antarctic Research Base?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Don't get me wrong, I like his world building, and if you glaze over every third repetition of things like "flaring her [metal] his style is at least sound. But he's very much the modern embodiment of paid-by-the-word Fantasy Doorstopper author. It wasn't by accident his style was selected to finish out Wheel of Time.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like the description of Kozilek's shards. I mean, we have to simplify any 'incomprehensible' horror if we are going to draw it, and the description of the shards as 2d voids in space that merge together based on the viewers perspective is a legitimate cosmic horror description. Sure they are solid objects with shading and such in the art, but a lot of the unreality and horror of the eldrazi titans is not shown in the art.

I loved the whole realization that Kiora has here:
Who had taught her that gods could be defied? Whose example had led her on this collision course with a god—with two? Cosi stories had shown her that Ula could be tricked, beaten, brought low.
But there was one thing she'd forgotten in her rush to confront Ula, one thing that every Cosi story had in common. Cosi always won. Not the mortals who followed his example. Not the dolphins who chattered his praises. Cosi always won. Kiora had tricked Thassa, had thought to humble Ula. But Cosi had tricked her.

And then she realizes that Koziek does not see her, or the Bident, even as he attacks Lorthos: Kiora stared up at Cosi, but Cosi didn't stare back. He couldn't—no head, no face, just a vast and alien presence towering above her. He'd attacked Lorthos because the octopus was the only foe anywhere close to his size. Kiora and her precious bident were insignificant, beneath his notice.

She understood, finally, where she had gone wrong. Cosi hadn't tricked her. Cosi had no understanding of the little story she'd been telling—the one that cast the tricksters as loyal dolphins and the other Planeswalkers as fools and herself, laughably, as Cosi.

Thassa had hated her. Cosi couldn't even see her.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pharohman777 posted:

I like the description of Kozilek's shards. I mean, we have to simplify any 'incomprehensible' horror if we are going to draw it, and the description of the shards as 2d voids in space that merge together based on the viewers perspective is a legitimate cosmic horror description. Sure they are solid objects with shading and such in the art, but a lot of the unreality and horror of the eldrazi titans is not shown in the art.

I loved the whole realization that Kiora has here:
Who had taught her that gods could be defied? Whose example had led her on this collision course with a god—with two? Cosi stories had shown her that Ula could be tricked, beaten, brought low.
But there was one thing she'd forgotten in her rush to confront Ula, one thing that every Cosi story had in common. Cosi always won. Not the mortals who followed his example. Not the dolphins who chattered his praises. Cosi always won. Kiora had tricked Thassa, had thought to humble Ula. But Cosi had tricked her.

And then she realizes that Koziek does not see her, or the Bident, even as he attacks Lorthos: Kiora stared up at Cosi, but Cosi didn't stare back. He couldn't—no head, no face, just a vast and alien presence towering above her. He'd attacked Lorthos because the octopus was the only foe anywhere close to his size. Kiora and her precious bident were insignificant, beneath his notice.

She understood, finally, where she had gone wrong. Cosi hadn't tricked her. Cosi had no understanding of the little story she'd been telling—the one that cast the tricksters as loyal dolphins and the other Planeswalkers as fools and herself, laughably, as Cosi.

Thassa had hated her. Cosi couldn't even see her.

So this story is It was Tuesday?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Why isn't it possible to buy Expeditions on MTGO? Mtgowikiprice.com shows buyers but no sellers for the one's I've looked at. They seem to be buying Zen fetches for less than the original versions.

Edit: nm, MTGGoldfish lists them.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Why isn't it possible to buy Expeditions on MTGO? Mtgowikiprice.com shows buyers but no sellers for the one's I've looked at. They seem to be buying Zen fetches for less than the original versions.

You can buy them less because they can't be redeemed. All cards that can't be redeemed are less.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dungeon Ecology posted:

oooh im just sooo mad about fantasy prose! :argh:

My favorite is LSV.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sickening posted:

You can buy them less because they can't be redeemed. All cards that can't be redeemed are less.

Which bums me out, because I got a foil sacred foundry

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Probably a "fixed" all is dust that costs an extra mana or some poo poo.
It's called Ugin

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's called Ugin

The fourth Titan nobody knew about; Eugene, the Great Bamboozler

Angry Grimace posted:

GoatBoatsFoils sells them. They cost like maybe 2 tix more than a regular one, sometimes less than a regular one unless its Polluted Delta in which case its expensive for no reason.

It's the two best colors in legacy so obviously it must be expensive for no reason.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

BizarroAzrael posted:

GoatBoatsFoils sells them. They cost typically 1 +/- what a regular fetch costs. Unless its Polluted Delta in which case its expensive for no reason.

Count Bleck posted:

The fourth Titan nobody knew about; Eugene, the Great Bamboozler

It's the two best colors in legacy so obviously it must be expensive for no reason.
That doesn't make any sense. Nobody gives a flying gently caress about foils on MTGO (which is why the only expensive foils are redeemable ones) and doesn't explain how Scalding Tarn costs less than a regular Scalding Tarn despite being the most popular fetchland in a much more popular format. Every other fetch is very closely pegged to its equivalent cards.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 10, 2015

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Something I like about the lore: all of the Eldrazi ruin and annihilate the land in incredibly alien ways, but different lineages do it differently. Ulamog turns stuff into gray dust. Kozilek melts and distorts it like flame applied to a photograph. I thought it was very evocative.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Something I like about the lore: all of the Eldrazi ruin and annihilate the land in incredibly alien ways, but different lineages do it differently. Ulamog turns stuff into gray dust. Kozilek melts and distorts it like flame applied to a photograph. I thought it was very evocative.

Actually no, Kozilek just covers everything in Bismuth.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I wonder what Emrakul does to alter land. I'm sure we won't see that dude for a while though. I think it escaped from Zendikar?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I wonder what Emrakul does to alter land. I'm sure we won't see that dude for a while though. I think it escaped from Zendikar?

Emrakul just warps spacetime around her kind of like a black hole.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

BizarroAzrael posted:

mtgowikiprice.com has different listings for nonfoil and foil cards, and the only expeditions in existence are foils. At the top of the page by the card name there's a link that says "View Foil" to show you the foil card listings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AlternateNu posted:

Emrakul just warps spacetime around her kind of like a black hole.

Strange, otherworldly, indescribable beings. But they're gendered.

Or is that just based on the deities they inspired?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Unless I missed one, original ROE-era flavor text (not sure about any accompanying fiction) referred to the original gods with gendered pronouns, but never the Eldrazi titans themselves. Gendering the Eldrazi directly seems to be a new thing with BFZ as far as flavor text goes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rinkles posted:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Why does it matter to Christians that God is a He or to boat/ship folk that ships are She?

Anthropomorphication, dude.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Kiora sure is a little poo poo for somebody who supposedly is part U

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

thats in-line for the color tho???

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

I dunno recent blue characters in magic all seem to have that in common. See: Jace

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fiend Computer posted:

I dunno recent blue characters in magic all seem to have that in common. See: Jace

Jace, smug little poo poo who has a smartass remark for everything but almost got hosed by a Salvage Drone.

At least Kiora can fight a god, and then command a godlike octopus to get murdered by another godlike being.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I think they meant part G. Sometimes the letter versions of colors confuses me, especially over short posts.

I bet Garruk wouldn't back down here. Garruk would tackle Kozilek and then get obliterated by the black holes that are Kozilek's shoulderpads.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Gensuki posted:

I think they meant part G. Sometimes the letter versions of colors confuses me, especially over short posts.

I bet Garruk wouldn't back down here. Garruk would tackle Kozilek and then get obliterated by the black holes that are Kozilek's shoulderpads.

That would make sense. Being a poo poo seems to be in Blues color pie anyway.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

As of late it also seems to be part of Green's pie too though.

Xenagos is incredibly bitter, Nissa was Elf Hitler before becoming Land Hitler.

Garruk is justified because he's going through some emotional problems.

Domri's a little brat.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Domri's a little brat.

Yeah, for how much Maro likes to moan about the color pie he doesn't seem to mind that bleeding over. What a hypocrite.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Domri's a little brat.

Being poo poo is in Green's color pie, but being little shits (folding against not insurmountable odds like a 1/1) is firmly in Blue. Xenagos became a god, Both/Double Hitler Nissa was willing to doom the rest of existence to save her people/Zendikar, and Domri gives creatures haste, hexproof and double strike.

Extra: How Garruk would have tamed Lorthos.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

This deck is hilarious, but people need to stop posting rogue Modern brews because I want to build them all :argh:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

This deck is hilarious, but people need to stop posting rogue Modern brews because I want to build them all :argh:

I really enjoy his videos and it's pretty entertaining how well this one does. Slamming a t1 blood moon completely ruins so many modern decks, I could see a softlock deck like that one doing OK at a larger event purely because so few decks can handle a fast moon or bridge.

lol he just uploaded an Against the Odds modern video where the deck is entirety singleton planeswalkers

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 10, 2015

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The only cool blue character is Venser. Peace.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

The only cool blue character is Venser. Peace.
That's a pretty heartless thing to say.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Teferi is the coolest.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tamiyo? Proper nerd in the nerd color?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

*checks for Teferi's sliver*

*checks for Tamiyo's sliver*

hhMmmm not sure this checks out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Teferi was too busy making sure the entire multiverse didn't implode on its swiss cheese self to worry himself with Timmy fodder.

• Locked thread