Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Asiina posted:

I am wearing high heels for the first time in a really longass time, and I am less than 10 minutes out my door and deeply regretting my decision to dress up for this thing.

You're going to do great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
here is where I would post about how most of the seafood you guys eat is disgusting and practically inedible and directly contributes to like three environmental catastrophes but I'm on my phone so

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ecco can you upgrade me in the dj room so i can skip tracks when people are clearly not around

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
sure but:

Ecco like just now posted:

I'm on my phone so

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
alrighty, whenever you get to it

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
To be fair terrestrial livestock are pretty drat bad for the environment too, but they actually taste good.

On an ethical level I should eat less meat but vegetarian recipes are either complex and taste good and are not filling, or simple, taste bland and are somewhat filling.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
there is such a huge variety of seafood in the world that if you dont like any of it i can only assume there is something wrong with your tongue.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

busb posted:

On an ethical level I should eat less meat but vegetarian recipes are either complex and taste good and are not filling, or simple, taste bland and are somewhat filling.
sounds like excuses to me

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
and yah agree about the environment im trying to eat less cows just for that reason

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
My contribution to the environment is not having kids.

You're welcome.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fiery_valkyrie posted:

My contribution to the environment is not having kids.

You're welcome.
But what if those non-existent kids came up with a way to save our planet

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
I think it's very presumptuous to label anything as "bad" for the environment. There's no environmental situation that is inherently or objectively "better" or "worse". It's all just a matter of subjective preference. Life, and humanity, is very adaptable, and besides humans are just as "natural" as any other living thing on Earth, so everything we do is in harmony with nature by definition.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
blowing up nukes, harmony achieved

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I'm going to frack yer house lumpen

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lumpen posted:

humans are just as "natural" as any other living thing on Earth,

Except that Lord Xenu brought us here millions of years ago from space. Try again, Lumpster

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I work for a company that does hundreds of millions of dollars of business in seafood. I directly contribute to the environmental destruction. I'm pretty ambivalent about it but I get seafood for ridiculously cheap

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Lumpen posted:

I think it's very presumptuous to label anything as "bad" for the environment. There's no environmental situation that is inherently or objectively "better" or "worse". It's all just a matter of subjective preference. Life, and humanity, is very adaptable, and besides humans are just as "natural" as any other living thing on Earth, so everything we do is in harmony with nature by definition.

Wrong again, Lumpen.

Humanity's impact on the environment is unsustainable, and while it may be possible to invent a way out of this issue, so far no one has been able to figure out the solutions to the imminent climate and energy problems that will render much of the planet uninhabitable by humans. Oh sure, some humans will survive, those that already possess massive quantities of wealth and power, leaving those who have left to either die or be forced into a new serfdom.

Eat less meat or be a slave to the rich.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Meinberg posted:

Eat the rich.

:agreed:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

This works too.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Actually, ironically, the wealthy and powerful are worst off in a climate catastrophe. The populists are at their most organized during a period of mass unrest and relocation.

At least it would be like that in this country, I think.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

Actually, ironically, the wealthy and powerful are worst off in a climate catastrophe. The populists are at their most organized during a period of mass unrest and relocation.

At least it would be like that in this country, I think.

o sweet summer child

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think most Americans will accept their inevitable doom by blaming it on *insert minority here*

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I think most Americans will accept their inevitable doom by blaming it on *insert minority here*

republicans

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Kashuno posted:

ironically this will help the environment tho

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My money is on Muslim terrorists who caused global warming by blowing up planes that had jet fuel and jet fuel is hot

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Kashuno posted:

My money is on Muslim terrorists who caused global warming by blowing up planes that had jet fuel and jet fuel is hot

jet fuel can't melt the climat

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Why are Mafia communities always so cliquey? There seems to be something about the nature of the forum game that lends itself to a 'cooler than thou' social ladder.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I blame the overhappy vaguely Asian men who have weird blue hair and dumb vestment-looking wardrobes

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Meinberg posted:

jet fuel can't melt the climat

:aaaaa:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

Why are Mafia communities always so cliquey? There seems to be something about the nature of the forum game that lends itself to a 'cooler than thou' social ladder.

cliquey implies we aren't welcoming to new people, though, doesn't it?

I think we are :D

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lampsacus posted:

gently caress off mate

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

bowmore posted:

gently caress off mate

:negative:

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Lampsacus posted:

Nah the maf community is more like a bucket of crabs.

Lumpen posted:

This is dumb, you're dumb (and I am cooler than thou).

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Lampsacus posted:

This is the only community I play mafia in so I can't speak to specifics because, like BK said, I feel like this is a good welcoming group, but in general I'd imagine because it's a game of social interaction. Without body language to help clue our instincts on whether someone is lying, we add meta reads on how people post. This has an unintentional consequence of people saying "X is trying way harder than normal so they are scum" which, while it might be true, can look daunting to a newcomer because they don't have that fountain of information to use. In person even someone new to a group can try to read body language but it's a much tougher task for a new person to tell if the tone or effort of a poster is different than normal. This extra hurdle can turn people away since it can appear to be a huge barrier to entry. It makes it appear as if we are a closed insular group when the reality is we have just played a jillion games with each other

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

bowmore posted:

gently caress off mate

no u

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I also think part of it is that this is a pretty vicious game. We can all be chil friends in here, but in game people will be rude as all hell to each other and a newcomer's first game can be rough with people basically saying

bowmore posted:

gently caress off mate

for 20+ pages.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

For instance, Kashuno told me to "gtfo" just yesterday which I haven't been told in like 5 years at least

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

For instance, Kashuno told me to "gtfo" just yesterday which I haven't been told in like 5 years at least

This post is just the beginning of me taking up the MMMantle of holding funny, fake grudges

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Puntification posted:

Nah the maf community is more like a bucket of crabs.

No you're like a bucket of crabs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
High heels relatively successful. I had to spend some time sitting down but it was kind of a cocktail party with tables scattered around so that was fine.

I stayed for a reasonable amount of time and now I'm gonna go home and watch Agents if Shield in my underwear and just fully relax for the first time in over a week.