Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Tirade posted:

Take joy in knowing that while Rudd and Gillard have gone on to successful careers in prominent international organisations and universities, Abbott's post-politics options look to be trending towards a Latham-style twilight of writing obnoxious op-eds for Australia's failing print media. And his relevance will continue to decrease over time.

Seeing Hockey take a promotion hasn't bolstered my faith in incompetent shitbags being unemployable after their political career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

Seeing Hockey take a promotion hasn't bolstered my faith in incompetent shitbags being unemployable after their political career.

Of the two people sacked from the two highest positions in the national government he was probably the better candidate to offer the post to. Even though he was stupid for saying it, he was right when he said he would have spent his time in parliament getting back at his enemies.

At least this way the government only has to contend with Abbott rather than both of them.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Being either prime minister or treasurer involves a huge responsibility, and that includes having access to highly sensitive government information. That information has a price and so it makes sense to offset that price by offering them a nice sinecure to get them out of the picture. The real challenge is not to punish them for holding the position but to ensure clods like them never get into those positions in the first place.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Personally I am shocked that a primary school which markets itself to anti-vaccers has had 25% of it's students contract chickenpox in the last two weeks.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/e...209-gljzkx.html

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-10/government-warns-port-of-melbourne-will-go-to-market/7016398 posted:

The Port of Melbourne's long-term lease will be put to the market this afternoon if Victoria's Parliament does not pass a bill to trigger its sale, the State Government has said.

The bill is being held up in the Upper House and the Government has today put forward a series of amendments to try to pass it on the last parliamentary sitting day for the year.

But the amendments do not include any change to key sticking points, including a clause that compensates the port's owner if a competing container port is built.

Treasurer Tim Pallas said the Government would bypass the Parliament if the bill did not pass this afternoon.

"We'll be going out to the market immediately after the parliamentary sittings today," he said.

"We can't leave the market wondering wether or not the state intends on proceeding with this, so we will proceed.

"I hope at some point the Opposition will see reason. I hope that that point will be today, but I'm not going to compromise the state's capacity to maximise value and also get a good policy outcome."

A select committee has recommended 15 changes to the Government's plan to sell the port's long-term lease, including capping it at 50 years and removing a controversial compensation running note clause.

The Coalition opposed the bill in its current form.

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy said his party had offered to compromise on everything, but the Government had not budged on compensation or the port licence fee.

"If I had to be a prophet I would have thought that it's unlikely that we will get a bill today," Mr Guy said.

"We all know the process of the Parliament and how difficult that would be ... you've got to actually have something to pass and we're not even at that stage yet."

Premier Daniel Andrews earlier said his Government was determined to pass the legislation.

"We'd very much like to pass the bill this week and get on with unlocking the value in the Port of Melbourne."

Can someone explain how they can bypass Parliament? What's the point in even bothering with any of it if they can just do what they want anyway? It doesn't surprise me but what the gently caress.

Also, lol at "unlocking the value in the Port of Melbourne". Kill yourself you neoliberal hack.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

we paid $42 million to put in a bid to host the world cup.

that's like several schools and hospitals worth.
how about paying for some new teachers.. pay them 60, 70 gently caress it $80k per year. pay them enough so people actually want to teach.
that's 525 new teachers positions. at 80k.

$1.2 billion...
the mind reels at what that could achieve.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

ScreamingLlama posted:

The VIC Young Libs opened their Christmas party to the public at $20 a head... and the trolls are giving them a run for their money on Facebook.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Les Affaires posted:

Of the two people sacked from the two highest positions in the national government he was probably the better candidate to offer the post to. Even though he was stupid for saying it, he was right when he said he would have spent his time in parliament getting back at his enemies.

At least this way the government only has to contend with Abbott rather than both of them.

What sort of dickhead appoints Hockey as ambassador after he says that he'd spent his time in parliament getting back at people?

Sure, he's no longer in parliament, but he's still in public office. Has he suddenly decided that he doesn't want to get back at the people that ousted him?

Les Affaires posted:

The real challenge is not to punish them for holding the position but to ensure clods like them never get into those positions in the first place.

I'm not wanting to punish Hockey for holding the position, but for being in a position of immense power and doing such a lovely job at it. His own party thought he did a lovely job, the general public though he did a lovely job.

What's the message here? Be a complete and total gently caress-up and get rewarded?

I know at the end of the day it's a way for the government to get rid of a potential agitator, so I guess this is more of a vent than anything.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Personally I think the ease at which Hockey can slip into a low-effort ambassadorial role just highlights how unemployable Tony Abbott is. As Tirade said, he'll slip into a Latham-esque role writing for the media, but I believe he'll be even more Latham-esque than Latham himself, if that's even possible, due simply to the dirty laundry about his organisational skills being put on such public display.

Seriously, how could you ever entrust any position of responsibility or leadership to this man ever again?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

open24hours posted:

Can you get vaccinated against chicken pox?

[EDIT: You can. Bloody spoiled kids these days they should have to suffer like I did.]

What the gently caress back in my day we had to suffer through the itching kids these days have it so easy

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

a fun project for a what now?

You can get rent assistance as an additional payment (It's still a loving pittance)

I know you can get rent assistance, I was on and off it for years but mercifully I've been employed for the last 5.

It still shocking to see how low it is and how it has not increased.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I see him more as a kind of Sarah Palin figure. Traveling around giving boring speeches, making jokes that only make sense if you have a very specific world view, and raking in the cash.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

I see him more as a kind of Sarah Palin figure. Traveling around giving boring speeches, making jokes that only make sense if you have a very specific world view, and raking in the cash.

See that's fine, he'll just become the modestly wealthy weird guy who hangs around at his family barbecues.

"I used to be prime minister"
"yes dear of course you did, please pass the potato salad"
"...stop the boats..."

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

open24hours posted:

Can you get vaccinated against chicken pox?

[EDIT: You can. Bloody spoiled kids these days they should have to suffer like I did.]

A pox on you!

:arghfist::barf:

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Kommando posted:

I know you can get rent assistance, I was on and off it for years but mercifully I've been employed for the last 5.

It still shocking to see how low it is and how it has not increased.
I just logged into my centrelink account and pulled up my last payment:

quote:

Energy Supplement $8.80
Newstart Allowance $523.40
Pharmaceutical Allowance $6.20
TOTAL: $538.40

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Re the dole:

I suspect it's putting some downward pressure on supermarket prices, because if people on the dole can't buy things, that's a lot of stock not getting sold. Coles goes absolutely mad with particular items that makes no sense unless they're actually desperate to shift them, and Woolies at last have begun to follow them. It helps that locally there is some competition still from Aldi and actual small business grocers, butchers and bakers.

Capsicums are still ridiculously expensive however, they're dearer than bananas. But it's difficult to stir-fry bananas.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
I know people are joking about kids being lucky not to go through chicken pox, that most people in the thread had chicken pox when they were a kid and most of us it was itchy and uncomfortable. No big deal right?

The reason that we are vaccinating against chicken pox is for two reasons.

1) A small percentage of children who have chicken pox get quite sick and need hospitalisation. Some even loving die from it.

2) The far bigger problem they are trying to avoid is that once you chicken pox, you never actually clear the virus. It stays dormant at the bottom of your spine. If the virus reactivates, it comes back as shingles (zoster) which can be pretty loving nasty. It can be incredibly painful and even when it clears, a lot of people suffer from whats called postherpatic neuralgia, which is a type of neuropathic pain that lingers. Also people can die from shingles.

We are vaccinating our kids against chicken pox to hopefully wipe out shingles.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Freudian Slip posted:

2) The far bigger problem they are trying to avoid is that once you chicken pox, you never actually clear the virus. It stays dormant at the bottom of your spine. If the virus reactivates, it comes back as shingles (zoster) which can be pretty loving nasty. It can be incredibly painful and even when it clears, a lot of people suffer from whats called postherpatic neuralgia, which is a type of neuropathic pain that lingers. Also people can die from shingles.

Yes. If I had known shingles was a thing I would have gotten immunized as soon as I could. I was never infected nor immunized as a child, caught it as an adult.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Les Affaires posted:

Seriously, how could you ever entrust any position of responsibility or leadership to this man ever again?

Why did they do it to begin with? Why did they rally around him specifically and not any of the other, more competent and less outwardly broken options? What talents does he possess that aren't matched by the average primary school student? I've never gotten a satisfactory answer on that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Freudian Slip posted:

I know people are joking about kids being lucky not to go through chicken pox, that most people in the thread had chicken pox when they were a kid and most of us it was itchy and uncomfortable. No big deal right?

The reason that we are vaccinating against chicken pox is for two reasons.

1) A small percentage of children who have chicken pox get quite sick and need hospitalisation. Some even loving die from it.

We are vaccinating our kids against chicken pox to hopefully wipe out shingles.

Yeah, I was just pretending to be an old person.

I caught something chicken pox related according to my doctor when I was a teenager, some form of the measles or something, I don't remember. It was super loving painful though, I thought I was dying.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why did they do it to begin with? Why did they rally around him specifically and not any of the other, more competent and less outwardly broken options? What talents does he possess that aren't matched by the average primary school student? I've never gotten a satisfactory answer on that.

Because in part it was a failure of the party to recognise the different skills required to win an election versus govern a country. Both the ALP and the LNP are now very experienced in both of these things, from Rudd and Abbott.

Winning an election is about focusing the attention of the electorate on enough issues that differentiate between the two parties over a very defined, limited period of time, ie the months up until the election.

Governing a country requires managerial and leadership skills because you're not just trying to win over a small number of people but the majority of the country.

Both parties made the mistake of thinking the skills to do the former transferred well enough to the latter. They were both wrong.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Les Affaires posted:

Because in part it was a failure of the party to recognise the different skills required to win an election versus govern a country. Both the ALP and the LNP are now very experienced in both of these things, from Rudd and Abbott.

Winning an election is about focusing the attention of the electorate on enough issues that differentiate between the two parties over a very defined, limited period of time, ie the months up until the election.

Governing a country requires managerial and leadership skills because you're not just trying to win over a small number of people but the majority of the country.

Both parties made the mistake of thinking the skills to do the former transferred well enough to the latter. They were both wrong.

You forget that people like Minchin and Abetz et al actually believe, deeply, in their positions on warming and boats and gays and whatever. They could not tolerate a moderate and Abbot was the only non-moderate even close to being capable of leadership (lol).

Abbotts recent statements about muslims needing to change their religion just prove what a blind and dangerous loving individual he was. The guy was born 1000 years to late. He should have be charging the walls of Jerusalem on horseback. I think we had a close call (probably the only thing between us and a large scale war is that Obama got a second term).

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Tony Abbott posted:

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for White Children.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Tony Abbott posted:

White Man, let us stand together to secure the survival of your people and my people, for they are one and the same - they are our beloved, miraculous, wonderful, blessed and masterful white race!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
"I'm Hitler" -Anthony "Tony" Hitler

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
So Tones is the Aussie answer to Trump?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Review headed by broadcaster Ray Martin and former SBS executive Shaun Brown effectively dismisses widespread criticism from Coalition MPs over the show’s political balance.

WELL THAT WAS A GOOD USE OF MONEY.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

EXAKT Science posted:

Yeah except Australia as a country was actually dumb/racist enough to elect tones

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Donald trump would wipe the floor with Malcolm Turnbull in Australia

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yeah except Australia as a country was actually dumb/racist enough to elect tones

Haha you underestimate us :unsmigghh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

EXAKT Science posted:

Trump has a bully's charisma and showmanship, whereas Abbott generally looked pretty awkward unless he was in full attack mode. Their personal histories have basically no similarities either.

I guess they both like talking about how attractive their daughters are?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

More Santorum than Trump.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If only Australia had an eccentric billionaire who spent shitloads of his own money to get into politics running as an outsider candidate...

But sadly we don't, so Abbott is clearly the most Trump-like figure we have.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

EXAKT Science posted:

Abbott is a more palatable version of Trump. If Trump were Australian, his policies would be to sink refugee boats with the refugees still on board, and to refuse welfare payments and public healthcare to muslims. Whereas Abbott has calmed his lust for blood to a point where he is willing to let political institutions slowly wear down and break the undesirables.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

If only Australia had an eccentric billionaire who spent shitloads of his own money to get into politics running as an outsider candidate...

But sadly we don't, so Abbott is clearly the most Trump-like figure we have.

*farts*

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

open24hours posted:

More Santorum than Trump.

Yeah. I can't think of an Australian similar to Trump, unless one of those Reclaim fuckwits is a libertarian billionaire property developer.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Which goon was that again? poo poo like that doesn't seem to happen here anymore which is kinda sad.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Who's invested in Transfield and Serco?
Just a friendly reminder that Transfield Services have changed their name to Broadspectrum Limited.

• Locked thread