Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

How is this doing in Japan? Are we likely to get more seasons or no?

There's not enough material for a second season right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Murata redraw doesn't even have enough content to fill a second season yet.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

LORD OF BUTT posted:

How is this doing in Japan? Are we likely to get more seasons or no?
The One Punch Man franchise is huge right now and growing like a <something that grows fast can't come up with anything>

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Bisse posted:

The One Punch Man franchise is huge right now and growing like a <something that grows fast can't come up with anything>

In a thread about an anime where half of the bad guys spontaneously buff up before a fight this should have been an easy simile.

"like vaccine man feeling like hes not being treated with respect"
"like a beetle rage dude feeling like hes being lied to"
"like a fish man when wet"

But anyway I hope they don't start adapting after Murata has redrawn enough material for it. They could probably go by One's comic and commissioning Murata to do character designs for creatures that haven't been shown yet. Idk if it would be as good but how the anime is going in general and the scenes I understand to not be adapted from manga I feel like the directors probably have a similarly keen eye for framing as Murata does.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"Like a dude who took steroids because his mad scientist brother offered them to him."
"Like a dude who wanted to be so tall, he became a giant with the disaster rating of God."

That's all I've got really.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

"Like a dude who took steroids because his mad scientist brother offered them to him."
"Like a dude who wanted to be so tall, he became a giant with the disaster rating of God."

That's all I've got really.

"Like Saitama's ennui."

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

- "...like a torn-to-shreds Genos who just returned home to daddy scientist"
- "...like a villain's fear before the King Engine"
- "...like Saitama's grocery bag at a saturday sale"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jagchosis posted:

But anyway I hope they don't start adapting after Murata has redrawn enough material for it. They could probably go by One's comic and commissioning Murata to do character designs for creatures that haven't been shown yet. Idk if it would be as good but how the anime is going in general and the scenes I understand to not be adapted from manga I feel like the directors probably have a similarly keen eye for framing as Murata does.

Conversely, I'd like them to continue adapting the Murata redraw and include all the side chapters he's added. Most of them would make for a good episode or so. Maybe adapt some of the follow up cannon and side chapters as season 2, allowing season 3 to be the main arc that the redraw is currently in the middle of.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

the second season is mob psycho

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Latest episode is PERFECT IN EVERY WAY.

Insert Mad Max GIF here.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
I liked how Genos was like "man why even worry about the mothership, Saitami is already up there, we just need to deal with what comes out". Genos doesnt even pretend Saitami might need his help anymore.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Without his cyborg skills Saitama's life would be a mess of unwashed dishes and tardy rent payments. :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Does Saitama even pay rent anymore given he lives in an area where post is delivered by a drone because the post personnel are so afraid to go there? His toilet would definitely be dirty and he'd be late to a lot more sales though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I believe it has been said that Saitama has yet to use the money Genos brought.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Waffleman_ posted:

I believe it has been said that Saitama has yet to use the money Genos brought.

Really?

I swear it looks like he got some new furniture and a bigger TV.

Also, amusingly, in the excellent PBS Spacetime series, shoutout to Saitama at 12:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx4562gesw0

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 9, 2015

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The manga explained at one point that he lives in an abandoned building that for some reason still has power and water. So no, he probably doesn't pay rent.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The whole part of town he lives in is totally abandoned, that was the episode where the Kombu monster beat up those random heroes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Terper posted:

There's not enough material for a second season right now.

Well, yeah, but there might be in a year. Plus the webcomic and all.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

If it's successful, do we think that an industry that's totally fine with adding terrible fillers to popular shounen shows wouldn't be willing to just do it's own adaptation of the webcomic, rather than waiting for the redraw?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Probably a rights thing, since I don't think Shueisha owns the original webcomic. Plus, anime in general is basically an advertisement, so with this being an advertisement for Shueisha's version, why would they want to compete with themselves by adapting content they haven't put in their version of the manga yet?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Anyone else just get the urge to scream "ONE PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!" during the day?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Probably a rights thing, since I don't think Shueisha owns the original webcomic. Plus, anime in general is basically an advertisement, so with this being an advertisement for Shueisha's version, why would they want to compete with themselves by adapting content they haven't put in their version of the manga yet?
Yeah, even if the anime sells well, why make another season to sell as a stand alone product when you can sell your anime and advertise your manga at the same time if you just wait a bit.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

yeah the whole point of anime is for exposure to buy the manga + w/e merch. They wouldn't outpace themselves.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

:ssj:
Totally.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
This anime is in an odd space with Madhouse not being like every other animation studio and them killing themselves over doing One Punch Man justice, by overworking themselves on the fight scenes.

If Madhouse are going to do the continuation as well, I have a feeling they will want to stay as close to the source material as possible, if only because they are huge fanboys of the work.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

After work. Every. Single. Day.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

After work. Every. Single. Day.

Not during? C'mon man.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shakugan posted:

If it's successful, do we think that an industry that's totally fine with adding terrible fillers to popular shounen shows wouldn't be willing to just do it's own adaptation of the webcomic, rather than waiting for the redraw?

Anime has been moving away from never ending filler series lately.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Given that this adaptation has been loving crazy good, I think saying any potential filler would be terrible is jumping the gun a little. Particularly since we're already getting anime-original OVAs written by ONE- doesn't it stand to reason that he'd probably write a filler arc if it came to that, too, and that it'd probably be just as good as the adapted stuff?

e: Like, I wouldn't want a whole season of just filler, I'd rather wait an extra year if that was the case. A single 2 or 3-episode arc or a couple one-shot episodes would probably work fine, though.

And this is presuming we're not just gonna get an anime original ending anyways, which we very well might (god I loving hope not I want more OPM in the future)

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 10, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The current arc ends far too perfectly to dare end off on an anime only ending

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Really, an anime-only ending would only happen in a series whose dramatic momentum necessitated its story to be closed, like Soul Eater or FMA. Stuff like One Punch Man is more arc-based, so they can get away with "The Adventure Continues!"

khy
Aug 15, 2005

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Really, an anime-only ending would only happen in a series whose dramatic momentum necessitated its story to be closed, like Soul Eater or FMA. Stuff like One Punch Man is more arc-based, so they can get away with "The Adventure Continues!"

See you next week, same punch channel, same punch time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Channel 1 at 1 o'clock. Got it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This show made me realize that I'm still a 12 year old.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, just wait about a year and then you should have plenty of Murata-drawn content to do a second season with. After that, wait around 2 years, 3 tops, and there's your third season. Anime production always seems obsessed with keeping shows going and adding filler for major Shonen series, but I think the quality as a whole would benefit if you had some breaks in between. Then you can put some extra effort into the early episodes when you start back up again (since you'll have had plenty of time to look at the manga version) and blow peoples minds with some nice looking animation, rather than churning out barely-passable stuff week after week. I mean, sometimes the filler is sensible and well written, but that's relatively rare.

I'm perfectly happy just getting more One Punches every once and awhile when there's been more One Punches to use as a basis.

Also, I just caught episode 10, and man they're doing a really good job, so nice to see Tatsumaki finally get some proper screentime. Meteors solve every problem! Should be nothing but amazing fights from now until the finale.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

11 is out, Good episode. Very good, some nice reaction faces.

And of course BOROS.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the long running shonen anime (filler included) doesn't seem to be a big thing anymore, since even One Piece has ditched that. Seven Deadly Sins and Assassination Classroom are some of the newer popular shonen series and they have a single season each, with follow-ups announced later. there have been some non-stop shows recently like World Trigger and Ace of Diamond, but i can't speak to whether they have filler.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This episode was :perfect: They went all out when Boros's armor broke and juxtaposed it with the classic ok reaction from Saitama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
11 was amazing and I cannot wait for next week.

• Locked thread