Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Fuschia tude posted:

How did that happen, anyway? All recent elections pointed to election dates moonwalking further into the past with every cycle, so why did Iowa suddenly agree to shift to February?

They wanted to bunch them all closer together to help Jeb win the nomination...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
How dumb do you have to be to feel assuaged by numbers when your candidate is making the "I thought gwb was the smart one" joke into a groaning cliché?

Like when "your candidate sucks rear end" has reached "I think ben carson is prescribing himself downers" levels of saturation you should be pulling out fast as you can.

Even if Trump died overnight Jeb has like 4 other major albatrosses he has no answer for.

Give it the gently caress up, the entire country doesn't want you or your loving family doing anything of importance anymore. Introducing yourself didn't help. Doing it again won't either.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

its an internet poll

people who read /pol/ or whatever, did they know about this poll? i wonder if it's that simple

also that n=271 zogby poll is just so drat funny, those people barely even tried

The zogby results aren't terribly out of line with what the more methodologically-sound internet surveys have found. Trump just does better online generally. No one is sure why.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

The zogby results aren't terribly out of line with what the more methodologically-sound internet surveys have found. Trump just does better online generally. No one is sure why.

that the numbers aren't bizarre doesn't make the poll better, it could mean they were lucky or it could mean they manipulated their weightings to get a reasonable average

i dont care enough to look into the details, it's clear enough i think that 200something responses aren't gonna tell you poo poo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

Angela Merkel is the TIME Person of the Year. Trump is second runner up. I'm sure he'll have some nice, appropriate things to say about Angela.

No, Bernie is the TIME Person of the Year. :catbert:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Fuschia tude posted:

How did that happen, anyway? All recent elections pointed to election dates moonwalking further into the past with every cycle, so why did Iowa suddenly agree to shift to February?

New Hampshire has a law that it has to be the first primary, at least a week before any other primary, and no more than 8 days after Iowa. In 04, 08, and 12 states tried to move into NH's window, leading it to jump back further and further. This cycle the RNC imposed a penalty that any state besides IA, NH, SC, or NV that went before March 1 would be reduced to 16 delegates, and places like FL (which had tried to muscle in on early dates before) didn't relish getting the same delegate weight as Delaware. Also, they allowed any state going March 15th or later to be Winner Take All, a very attractive thing that encouraged many states to be later.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

oystertoadfish posted:

i dont care enough to look into the details, it's clear enough i think that 200something responses aren't gonna tell you poo poo

It's not actually clear. Behold! the magic of statistics. What you think of as a small sample size can be totally sufficient. The issue here would be the selection bias of online polling, and a lovely/lack of an accurate voter screen, not the overall sample size. Cross tabs could be less meaningful though.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah i shouldnt have said it that way. i feel like the smaller the sample size, the greater the influence of factors outside the purview of probability theory, especially the convenience bias of zogby presumably grabbing the first people it could find to make The First Poll After The Thing Happened

i sorta feel like the problems with the random sample assumption make the margin of error calculation pointless but i guess if i wanna talk poo poo i should run some stats or at least google for a few minutes and i dont wanna do that so ill shut up

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

oystertoadfish posted:

its an internet poll

people who read /pol/ or whatever, did they know about this poll? i wonder if it's that simple

also that n=271 zogby poll is just so drat funny, those people barely even tried

Uh, a friend of mine that browses that filthy Chinese cartoon anime board told me they were in fact voting in polls such as this.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 22, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Michael Corleone posted:

Uh, a friend of mine that browses that filthy Chinese cartoon anime board told me they were in fact voting in polls such as this.

that makes sense. well they made it on tv guess theyre awesome

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Intel&Sebastian posted:

How dumb do you have to be to feel assuaged by numbers when your candidate is making the "I thought gwb was the smart one" joke into a groaning cliché?

Like when "your candidate sucks rear end" has reached "I think ben carson is prescribing himself downers" levels of saturation you should be pulling out fast as you can.

Even if Trump died overnight Jeb has like 4 other major albatrosses he has no answer for.

Give it the gently caress up, the entire country doesn't want you or your loving family doing anything of importance anymore. Introducing yourself didn't help. Doing it again won't either.

But everyone* who meets Jeb loves him!

*includes only family members, family friends, employees, and lobbyists

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I think Jeb! needs a second campaign reset which will therefore require a third campaign slogan.
1) All in for Jeb!
2) Jeb can fix it!
3) I'm down for Jeb!
Jeb's Polishing It Off!
Coming On Jeb!
Jeb's Taking it Deep!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Jeb: half the man my dad was or is

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Rocks posted:

Jeb's Polishing It Off!
Coming On Jeb!
Jeb's Taking it Deep!

hahah

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Jeb's getting ready for that Big Bush Comeback!

#JebBBC

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I thought way more than 2% of black people (though not necessarily African-American) in the US were Muslim... that's pretty hosed up.

EDIT: What loving halfwit decided that African-American, which I agree is a valid term to specifically describe black people in the US who are the descendants of slaves brought to America, should simply replace "black" altogether? It's such a stupid term as it's currently used, and it's torture to watch the American media trying to figure out what to call a black person who isn't American, such as Lewis Hamilton, or (to use a not-famous example) my Trinidadian friend who lives in Houston?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 10, 2015

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

question about the convention: do you need an absolute majority of delegates to win or just a plurality? because at this point i see Cruz winning unless the anti-establishment delegates are split between him and Trump, with some refusing to vote for Trump because he's a Nazi, and Rubio ekes out a slim plurality

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Jeb's getting ready for that Big Bush Comeback!

#JebBBC

Another bitter clinger to my God Grits and Guns, ready for the Big Bush Comeback #GGG4BBC

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I want this pin and another like it, but with Trump face and "In your guts, you know he's nuts".

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

PT6A posted:

I thought way more than 2% of black people (though not necessarily African-American) in the US were Muslim... that's pretty hosed up.

It was an internet poll with results displayed live, and presumably demographics were self reported

There's no way /pol/ had anything to do with those results

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
LOL. CNN and Don Lemon are making Trump look GOOOOOOOOOD.

These hilarious 'tards keep slamming the door on their own dicks.

"We've got him NOW!!!"

~5 minutes later~

"WTF just happened???"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I think Jeb! needs a second campaign reset which will therefore require a third campaign slogan.
1) All in for Jeb!
2) Jeb can fix it!
3) I'm down for Jeb!

Exclamation Points Will Continue Until Polls Improve

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

question about the convention: do you need an absolute majority of delegates to win or just a plurality? because at this point i see Cruz winning unless the anti-establishment delegates are split between him and Trump, with some refusing to vote for Trump because he's a Nazi, and Rubio ekes out a slim plurality

pretty sure it's a majority, but you just keep doing ballots until somebody gets a majority. so if a majority of the delegates aren't pledged to one candidate before the first ballot the unpledged delegates come into play, and the different state rules about how many ballots it takes for a delegate to go independent determine things as well, and all kinds of smoke-filled room politicking happens and we all have fun

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I really want to buy a Jeb! flask.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

But everyone* who meets Jeb loves him!

*includes only some family members, family friends, employees, and lobbyists

FTFY

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Jeb lives in a sort of Truman Show world, where everyone around him seems to live him and have drunk the cool aid. Nthing the hope that there's a camera crew with him capturing his response to the delusion shattering.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Shakugan posted:

Jeb lives in a sort of Truman Show world, where everyone around him seems to live him and have drunk the cool aid. Nthing the hope that there's a camera crew with him capturing his response to the delusion shattering.

I'm banking more on a visible wave of relief as he realizes he won't have to keep his farce going any longer.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lord of Pie posted:

He's fine, just look at that.... healthy smile

poo poo he really does frown when he's smiling, doesn't he?

What a poor, sad dude ole' Jeb! has become. :sigh:

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Across the pond the British Empire stretches its arms and prepares for a fresh new da

quote:

A parliamentary petition calling for Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump to be barred from entering the UK has gathered more than 329,000 names. MPs will be required to consider debating it. The petition went on Parliament's e-petition website on Tuesday.

In other developments:

• Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has stripped Mr Trump of his status as a business ambassador for Scotland.
  • Aberdeen's Robert Gordon University has revoked Mr Trump's honorary degree, which he received in 2010 in recognition of his achievements as an entrepreneur and businessman.
  • One of the Middle East's largest retail chains, Lifestyle, has withdrawn Donald Trump products from its shelves following his comments.
y.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

pretty sure it's a majority, but you just keep doing ballots until somebody gets a majority. so if a majority of the delegates aren't pledged to one candidate before the first ballot the unpledged delegates come into play, and the different state rules about how many ballots it takes for a delegate to go independent determine things as well, and all kinds of smoke-filled room politicking happens and we all have fun

in that case IMO Cruz wins, no amount of backroom dealing can save Rubio from having only 25% of the popular vote. people who say he's going to float up in the polls any day now are delusional

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

PT6A posted:

EDIT: What loving halfwit decided that African-American, which I agree is a valid term to specifically describe black people in the US who are the descendants of slaves brought to America, should simply replace "black" altogether? It's such a stupid term as it's currently used, and it's torture to watch the American media trying to figure out what to call a black person who isn't American, such as Lewis Hamilton, or (to use a not-famous example) my Trinidadian friend who lives in Houston?

An inverse example is our president, who isn't black, but is an African American since he was born in Kenya.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Shakugan posted:

It's not actually clear. Behold! the magic of statistics. What you think of as a small sample size can be totally sufficient. The issue here would be the selection bias of online polling, and a lovely/lack of an accurate voter screen, not the overall sample size. Cross tabs could be less meaningful though.

Under 300 voters isn't really sufficient even if you handwave the other problems. That's still a margin of error of ~6%, which is high enough that the results are basically worthless. A good poll has about 600 (4% MOE), a really good poll has 900-1000 (3% MOE).

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Thump! posted:

poo poo he really does frown when he's smiling, doesn't he?

What a poor, sad dude ole' Jeb! has become. :sigh:

Jeb! Only half the man my dad was.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Ivor Biggun posted:

Jeb! Only half the man my dad was.
That means if HW's VP was Dan Quayle, Jeb!'s VP would be...

Wall Is Life
Sep 29, 2015

#NoBanNoWall

Vox Nihili posted:

If I had to guess it's something similar to the Bradley effect where his supporters may not want to seem racist to somebody they are speaking too. In contrast, they are more anonymous online and can actually give their view.

In other words, Trumps could be even stronger than his polling suggests.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

oystertoadfish posted:

If I'm not mistaken, unpledged delegates are allowed to vote whoever they want in the first round even if a clear majority exists for one candidate, though their choice don't mean jack poo poo at that point.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Peachstapler posted:

Dan Quayle

Gotta get the whole band back together

e: Jesus he's 68, time flies

Lord of Pie fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 10, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Under 300 voters isn't really sufficient even if you handwave the other problems. That's still a margin of error of ~6%, which is high enough that the results are basically worthless. A good poll has about 600 (4% MOE), a really good poll has 900-1000 (3% MOE).

The thing is, even with the 6% margin of error, the lowest actual support Trump could have is 32% opposed to Carson's highest possible 19% (or Rube's 18%).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Peachstapler posted:

Scott Walker.

• Locked thread