Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Back To 99 posted:

Do you mean your wife is not your sister? Rookie mistake.

Not everyone is Zoroastrian Bro!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

So how would this affect viceroyalties, seeing as how you "inherit" them everytime the holder dies?

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

Not everyone is Zoroastrian Bro!!!

Rookie mistake.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cosmosisjones posted:

So how would this affect viceroyalties, seeing as how you "inherit" them everytime the holder dies?

It probably won't. Either because it's a realm internal thing, or because you don't actually gain any provinces, just a title. That nearly every player will then give out again anyway, since there's no reason to hold more than two duchies.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Things happening inside a realm will not generate infamy.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I like this idea a lot, coming up against unstoppable blobs and being an unstoppable blob aren't that fun. One of my biggest frustrations is when you have two or three guys at your throat oblivious to the approaching HRE or Abbasids.

I can roll back my game version if I don't wrap up my Hispania game before this drops, right? As someone said before, this looks 100% save-breaker.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I think it isn't a save breaker the next patch, I haven't tried so I am not entirely sure.
But yeah we usually branch of major patches in Steam so you can switch freely between them.

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Groogy posted:

Things happening inside a realm will not generate infamy.

Cool. I figured it wouldn't but was curious.

T___A
Jan 18, 2014

Nothing would go right until we had a dictator, and the sooner the better.
Is the converter not working for anyone else? Anytime I try to convert it just chokes and only converts one nation.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Known issue caused by an infinity loop, don't know what causes it though yet but will be fixed in 2.5

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm picking up the game for the first time in ages. On Steam, it is currently marked as [beta]. Should the most current version be beta?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Nth Doctor posted:

I'm picking up the game for the first time in ages. On Steam, it is currently marked as [beta]. Should the most current version be beta?

right click game title in library -> properties -> betas -> Opt out of all betas

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

quadrophrenic posted:

right click game title in library -> properties -> betas -> Opt out of all betas

Thanks! :hfive:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Would it make sense for some of the dudes in North Africa to have the nomadic government type and how do I mod that in?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Would it make sense for some of the dudes in North Africa to have the nomadic government type and how do I mod that in?

It's pretty simple, just add something like:

code:
20.1.1 = { historical_nomad = yes }
To the relevant title files. So if you want to make tutorial island hilarious, add that to the beginning of c_dublin.txt. Or if you want to see some weird poo poo, change e_byzantium.txt. In your case though, you're probably interested in k_mali.txt.

(All of these are in the history/titles directory)

And always make a mini-mod for changes, don't ever edit your main installation directory.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There are a bunch of cultures on the map which were nomadic but don't have nomadic government because that's primarily based on the way the things were done on the steppes. For example the Saami of northern Scandinavia were nomadic, some still are at least in part, but nomadic government wouldn't really fit them since they were pretty peaceful reindeer herders that never did much conquering. I think the Tuaregs and other Berber nomads were also different enough from the Turkic steppe people that they would would have to use a somewhat tweaked version of the nomad system.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

The British Isles being tumultuous is nothing new, but I've never seen quite THIS level of clusterfuck :psyduck:

It's only 1025 from the 867 start. Brythoniaid and Cornwall are Lollard and if you look closely you can see the one last Norse holdout in the isles. Pretty sure a competent player could pick this up with Scotland and have Brittannia formed within about 30 years.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Middlesex isn't inherited by Ireland, Wales is not the strongest power, and the HRE isn't intervening... a 6/10.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm in Europe so there is no HRE. :getin:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Really it's only surprising that Cornwall got more than its two counties, I never see that happen with the AI. I've noticed that British and Iberian kingdoms tend to intermarry, generally with the Iberian kingdoms ending up with land in the Isles, but I can't think of a time where it happened with, say, France, or Germany in Britain. Why is that? Similarly, I've noticed that random French guys love to adventure for land in Ireland, but not random English, or Italian guys or whatever. It seems like it's always only a couple of these countries that do these things.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Apparently the EU4 converter was just updated or something. :confused:

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I've only ever dicked around on tutorial island on this game before, but so far I'm ~350 years into an Old Gods Bavaria game, and I have a realm management question: How do you tend to organize two Kingdoms? I'm King of Bavaria and Bohemia, and I own all the counties in two Bavarian duchies (except Innsbruck, which I have reserved as a Prince Of Wales-style heir chair) and the rest of my kingdom is split up among all the other duchies (4 other vassal duchies). I'm below my demense limit by a few provinces (I have a pretty good Stewardship leader and heir, tho). I'd like to start pressing claim wars in Germany with the eventual goal of usurping Germany and forming Germannia, but I'd like to be at my demesne limit in the meantime so that I still have power parity over all of my vassals, but I don't necessarily want to revoke another duchy and incure the "more than two duchies" penalty. Should I destroy a duchy and start taking counties in the duchy, leaving some behind to land claimants? Or should I hold on to my current demesne with the idea that future heirs may not be quite so good with stewardship. None of my dukes individually break 30% of my levy size, but idk I guess I'm worried about them joining together, and shrinking my demesne by landing claimants while at the same time going to war to get more vassal dukes seems like a bad idea

I have primogeniture, btw, and I think I'd like to keep it that way, though if it's easier to run multiple kingdoms with elective, I'd consider it. I ditched elective shortly after conquering Bohemia because managing that many ducal electors became too much to deal with.

quadrophrenic fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 15, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm in Europe so there is no HRE. :getin:

How are you cracking the Karling nut these days? I find them ridiculously stable; no independence revolts and almost no peasant revolts, even under a child emperor.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jedit posted:

How are you cracking the Karling nut these days? I find them ridiculously stable; no independence revolts and almost no peasant revolts, even under a child emperor.

Im my most recent games they usually crack thenselves, very early. Its been a while since I saw the big karling blob last long.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im my most recent games they usually crack thenselves, very early. Its been a while since I saw the big karling blob last long.

Yeah me too. They don't always even unify in the first place, I find. But when they do, they split apart shortly after. And since they tend to break into kingdoms that can't immediately swallow each other it's usually a long time before Europe blobs up again for me. The Abbasids on the other hand, seem to only split off smaller nations that just get eaten back up by them in short order.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Wait, what?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Vichan posted:

Wait, what?

Little did you know, the pope mended the schism with equality for Orthodox behind your back apparently!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you joke, but on my Zoroastrian Persia game, the Byzantine Empire went Catholic. As did all the Muslims. And most of the pagans.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Karlings don't usually unify under one banner in my games, but all of Europe usually remains under Karling control forever and ever absent my intervention.

Jedit posted:

In my games they have revolts but the revolts are always laughable and easily crushed for the +25 bonus to everyone, so yeah.

This game I dealt with them by a relentless dedication to stabbing for over 100 years. "Kill every single Karling duke or king in the world" was kind of my side game this game (started in Great Moravia, expanded into the Wendish Empire) and it eventually paid off. The dynasty's not quite extinct as of 1025 but last I checked there were only like 4 Karlings left that held any land and they were all counts.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tiler Kiwi posted:

you joke, but on my Zoroastrian Persia game, the Byzantine Empire went Catholic. As did all the Muslims. And most of the pagans.

It happened in my current game. And actually a smart move because now every holy war against the catholic I risk having to face the biz empire. It gave Christianity a chance against the huge sunni and shia (me) blobs.

And now 1090 is just around the corner, the crusades are gonna be something.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 15, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vichan posted:

Wait, what?

That's really curious. Was the Byzantine Emperor part of the war? He's apparently married to a close relative, did you call him to war and he actually joined the crusade?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
No dev diaries due to holidays. Next one will be up in 12th of January.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Winter truly is a dark and cold time.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Torrannor posted:

That's really curious. Was the Byzantine Emperor part of the war? He's apparently married to a close relative, did you call him to war and he actually joined the crusade?

I figger he was just initially Catholic, which allowed him to join the Crusade, but while it lasted he went back to being Orthodox. Sneaky.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

After all those worthless dev diaries now we wont get any for four weeks? Wow pdox, why didn't you just not post them in the first place?

EDIT: The upside is at least CKII wont be broke as gently caress like last year

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 15, 2015

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Huh. I was kinda expecting them to announce the DLC today and then go on holiday so we'd get all hyped up over the break.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

So they DID learn from the Way of Life release clusterfuck. How remarkable.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dallan Invictus posted:

So they DID learn from the Way of Life release clusterfuck. How remarkable.

There's a difference between releasing a DLC in severe need of patching before going on holidays, and releasing a simple informative dev diary about a DLV and going on holidays.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Complaining about a lack of free previews during holidays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Honestly I was under the impression that they'd just release their buggy DLC before their break again. And again, they haven't really been giving us dev diaries already so hopefully when they get back they actually talk about the DLC instead of vague mentions.

• Locked thread