Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Logikv9 posted:

I really want to buy a Jeb! flask.

I'm surprised there aren't any chinese knockoffs for stuff like that. I checked aliexpress, dx, and ebay, and there's barely anything. I did find this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeb-Cant-Fi...MScH5F_cN6GHJtQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Vox Nihili posted:

The zogby results aren't terribly out of line with what the more methodologically-sound internet surveys have found. Trump just does better online generally. No one is sure why.

Right populist candidates do significantly better in internet polling [and it tends to actually translate to the voting booth] in european countries versus live surveys. Whether or not that will translate to the US who knows.

There's an Atlantic article I can be assed to find that talked about it today.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Peachstapler posted:

That means if HW's VP was Dan Quayle, Jeb!'s VP would be...

43 could only be president for two terms but there's nothing stopping him being Jeb!'s vice president. Just sayin'

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Ivor Biggun posted:

43 could only be president for two terms but there's nothing stopping him being Jeb!'s vice president. Just sayin'

you can't be the vice president unless you qualify to be president, and GWB doesn't qualify to be president due to his two terms

he could, however, hold a cabinet position or a SCOTUS seat

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

PT6A posted:

I thought way more than 2% of black people (though not necessarily African-American) in the US were Muslim... that's pretty hosed up.

EDIT: What loving halfwit decided that African-American, which I agree is a valid term to specifically describe black people in the US who are the descendants of slaves brought to America, should simply replace "black" altogether? It's such a stupid term as it's currently used, and it's torture to watch the American media trying to figure out what to call a black person who isn't American, such as Lewis Hamilton, or (to use a not-famous example) my Trinidadian friend who lives in Houston?

As a white person I rightfully typically refrain from commenting on this, but I always try to use black when I mean black, and African-American when I'm referring to people like famous African American actress Charlize Theron or African American musician Dave Matthews.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

you can't be the vice president unless you qualify to be president, and GWB doesn't qualify to be president due to his two terms

he could, however, hold a cabinet position or a SCOTUS seat

Otoh hw would qualify as VP

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
How the convention works:

Round one: any candidate still in the race with pledged delegates may be placed in nomination. Three delegates from each state are automatically unpledged. Any delegates pledged to a candidate who has dropped out are unpledged. Starting with Alabama, and proceeding alphabetically, each state delegation reports the votes of their delegates. A state may "pass" and will still vote in the first round after the other states report.

If no candidate receives a majority of the votes in the first round, all delegates become unpledged. There is a call for nominations at which point any name may be placed in nomination if there's a second to the nomination. Then the voting is repeated until a candidate receives a majority.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://www.change.org/p/realdonaldtrump-demand-that-donald-trump-prove-he-is-not-muslim

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

when i was reading detailed rules i thought i saw that each state had their own rules on how many ballots their pledged delegates were locked in for. some cleared them after the first ballot, others after the second or third, some made them stick with it until the end, and others had more complicated rules, for example alaska: http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P16/AK-R#0301

quote:

After the second round of balloting ... if the Candidate to which the Delegate is pledged is the candidate receiving the fewest number of votes ..., the Delegate is no longer required to support that candidate.
it seems to me that these rules would be unneccessary if all delegates became unpledged after a non-majority first ballot, as you say

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
Is the media still trying to hit Trump with the internment camp thing? That was a pathetically weak attack, but it was funny watching him dance around it. He couldn't say he agreed because obviously he couldn't but he couldn't rule it out cause a decent percent of his supporters probably love the idea Lmao.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

I thought way more than 2% of black people (though not necessarily African-American) in the US were Muslim... that's pretty hosed up.

EDIT: What loving halfwit decided that African-American, which I agree is a valid term to specifically describe black people in the US who are the descendants of slaves brought to America, should simply replace "black" altogether? It's such a stupid term as it's currently used, and it's torture to watch the American media trying to figure out what to call a black person who isn't American, such as Lewis Hamilton, or (to use a not-famous example) my Trinidadian friend who lives in Houston?

I agree, fellow son of the wind-swept Causcus. Commonly used racial categories are a poor description of actual cultural and ethnic heritage.

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
Latest shenanigans: Trump wants to visit the Temple Mount (aka: 3rd Holiest Place in Islam)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...n=NYDailyNewsTw

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Prof. Lurker posted:

Latest shenanigans: Trump wants to visit the Temple Mount (aka: 3rd Holiest Place in Islam)

I say let him

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

There's probably going to be only ~150 out of ~2200 delegates to the RNC that are unbound - the 3 party leaders in the states where the party leaders are unbound, plus delegates from places like North Dakota that simply don't bind their delegates at all. That's not really enough for them to be a big factor - it's something like 6-7% of the convention, and they're not going to be moving in lockstep.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Not that I'd care if something were to happen to him, but surely he realizes that such a visit could end extremely poorly for him? Does the Secret Service detail candidates get follow them abroad?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Nichael posted:

Not that I'd care if something were to happen to him, but surely he realizes that such a visit could end extremely poorly for him? Does the Secret Service detail candidates get follow them abroad?
Yes.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

There's probably going to be only ~150 out of ~2200 delegates to the RNC that are unbound - the 3 party leaders in the states where the party leaders are unbound, plus delegates from places like North Dakota that simply don't bind their delegates at all. That's not really enough for them to be a big factor - it's something like 6-7% of the convention, and they're not going to be moving in lockstep.

i think you get unbound if your guy drops out of the race - so the proportional early states should throw a few unpledged delegates onto the pile. also i believe colorado's delegates will all be unpledged, since they decided not to do the 'presidential vote' that basically turns the caucuses into a glorified primary with byzantine rules for selecting the delegates who get a pledge assignment at the end of the process based on the 'presidential vote'

i think

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Joementum posted:

Round one: any candidate still in the race with pledged delegates may be placed in nomination. Three delegates from each state are automatically unpledged. Any delegates pledged to a candidate who has dropped out are unpledged. Starting with Alabama, and proceeding alphabetically, each state delegation reports the votes of their delegates. A state may "pass" and will still vote in the first round after the other states report.

If no candidate receives a majority of the votes in the first round, all delegates become unpledged. There is a call for nominations at which point any name may be placed in nomination if there's a second to the nomination. Then the voting is repeated until a candidate receives a majority.
Does the part I bolded mean a brokered convention?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Next time around there's going to be nothing but superdelegates, I'm guessing

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Prof. Lurker posted:

He's going to blow himself up inside it.

Then we're really gonna see some poo poo.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Prof. Lurker posted:

lol trump is going to piss on this monument and start world war 3

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Donald Trump's gonna get himself shot, kick off World War III, and 10 years later we'll find out he was an ISIS plant.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I can't wait until Trump destroys the world.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Trump's selfless sacrifice for the panmuslim genocide

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn

Jewel Repetition posted:

The thing is, even with the 6% margin of error, the lowest actual support Trump could have is 32% opposed to Carson's highest possible 19% (or Rube's 18%).

The reason you can't have low sample size is because its possible for the sampling error of 3-6% to stack with the error associated with having a non-representative sample population. The Zogby poll tells you nothing about what Trump's actual support floor may or may not be, because Zogby is famously terrible at selecting good populations to sample.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Trump's selfless sacrifice for the panmuslim genocide

I hope trump gets one of those death tributes across the sky

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Instead of a cannon there's just a fart

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Trump's sky funeral. His bones are carried off by bald eagles.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oystertoadfish posted:

i think you get unbound if your guy drops out of the race - so the proportional early states should throw a few unpledged delegates onto the pile. also i believe colorado's delegates will all be unpledged, since they decided not to do the 'presidential vote' that basically turns the caucuses into a glorified primary with byzantine rules for selecting the delegates who get a pledge assignment at the end of the process based on the 'presidential vote'

i think

Colorado isn't doing a straw poll, but delegates will have to file a declaration to support a presidential candidate before they're elected, and they'll be bound to that candidate. Nobody in that state, not even the three party officers, will go into the convention unbound.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Joementum posted:

I heard the only point of states "passing" is so that the winning candidate's home state can be the one who gives them the majority, is that true?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Trump decides being Mussolini isn't enough and decides to be Pontius Pilate

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Prof. Lurker posted:

Trump's going to propose rebuilding the Temple in Jerusalem, just to lock the apocalyptic Evangelical vote.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Donald Trump's gonna get himself shot, kick off World War III, and 10 years later we'll find out he was an ISIS plant.

Not gonna lie, that sounds like a decent call of duty campaign.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Daesh and/or the Saudis could probably buy off Trump by letting him build hotels in their territory.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Rocks posted:

Does the part I bolded mean a brokered convention?

If Trump convincingly wins a majority of the primaries and the first thing anyone thinks is 'oh boy, there's a rule that lets us pick someone else!' then we will be facing the end of the republican party as we know it. That's why they're just going to fall in line if he starts winning elections.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

skaboomizzy posted:

Jeb! used a Yugo as a price comparison for a bed? When was the last time a new Yugo was sold here? 1986 or so? It's such an oddly specific and outdated reference point.

A Yugo and a Hyundai. Gotta hand it to Jeb - he knows what evokes expense and luxury in his voter base.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

http://www.theonion.com/article/iowa-residents-mystified-after-strange-sign-bearin-51936

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

that the numbers aren't bizarre doesn't make the poll better, it could mean they were lucky or it could mean they manipulated their weightings to get a reasonable average

i dont care enough to look into the details, it's clear enough i think that 200something responses aren't gonna tell you poo poo

Sample size only affects your margin of error, 6℅ is a lot but it doesn't mean the poll is complete nonsense. I agree that it's too much for this kind of thing, though.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 10, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Peachstapler posted:

Across the pond the British Empire stretches its arms and prepares for a fresh new da

y.

Sounds like a good way to boost his poll numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Sample size only affects your margin of error, 6℅ is a lot but it doesn't mean the poll is complete nonsense. I agree that it's too much for this kind of thing, though.

No.

Going from 5% MOE to 7% MOE when you drop from 500 to 250 observations doesn't sound dramatic, but with the way polls are actually done, it's catastrophic.

The margin of error would be 5% or 7% for a random, representative sample. A phone poll clearly isn't, and you have to reweigh your responses to get something that resembles the population more.

If you get 50 18-34 respondents in a total sample of 500, then you're reweighing with a 18-29 MOE of 14% (assuming that those 18-29s are representative of the actual population)
If you get 25 18-34 respondents in a total sample of 250, though, then your MOE for that subsample shoots up to 20%.

You have the same kind of problem with your 34-49 and your 50-65 and your 65+ subsample, and if you're also weighing by gender or race or education things start falling apart really quickly once you get down to sub-400 observations. The topline MOE number isn't worth poo poo.

• Locked thread