Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PRADA SLUT posted:

What level should mechanical be at before advancing other skills? I'm 4/1/1, Ch 4, L17

4 is the max you can get to by advancing BLADE rank.

To get to 5 (the max) you have to complete a really obtuse puzzle mission that'll pop up on the mission board. Usually 'defeat a tyrant, gather 6 of X, and go somewhere' with the names replaced with stuff like,

"Defeat a beast of red at dawn in the land of white"
"Collect 6 of the misguided ancient scrawls"

etc. It'll let you know when you complete them at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I was kinda hoping the "Dark Suit" from L's shop mission would be an actual suit so I could go full Roger Smith/Big O once I got my skell. At least it's equal opportunity fan service, I guess.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there a decent guide of where to grind? I need 2.5 levels before I can progress the story (need level 30) and I can't find a decent spot to kill poo poo at.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I like how when I get the skell flight module, the first few places I want to go, I can't because of big meanies.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a goon squad / list exchange?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there a decent guide of where to grind? I need 2.5 levels before I can progress the story (need level 30) and I can't find a decent spot to kill poo poo at.

I think that doing missions is better for exp than just killing things.

Also, how is there anyway to get a different Skell before level 30? I'm not feeling the default

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think that doing missions is better for exp than just killing things.

Also, how is there anyway to get a different Skell before level 30? I'm not feeling the default

Nope, its a one of a kind special Skell. All the other models are 30+

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Should I be rolling a full team of Skells by chapter 7's boss? I took mine in and no one else had one and could just manage to get it to 50% before wiping.

Nevermind. I wiped the floor with it suddenly in the next attempt, like it was completely different and I'm not sure why.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 10, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Should I be rolling a full team of Skells by chapter 7's boss? I took mine in and no one else had one and could just manage to get it to 50% before wiping.

What level were you, I had no troubles just using mine and Overdriving.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The buster swords are pretty good fuel pumps for your personal skell. Find something big enough to whether the blow but still be a joke, and then bind it while the rest of your team messes it up.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Where do I pick up the party members after they get unlocked? I only found elma and lyn at the barracks.

Edit: nevermind, I found them.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 10, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh my god I just bought a man a car to turn into a time machine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Echophonic posted:

Oh my god I just bought a man a car to turn into a time machine.

That's when his name hit me and I felt like an idiot.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So yeah the level differential between you and an enemy must have a large effect on enemy damage. I was having issues with the tainted sphinx boss, then went from lv20 to 22 and with no gear change I utterly hosed him, when before he was killing my whole party in under a minute.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what do the drive armor mods do?

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Pomp posted:

what do the drive armor mods do?

Those buff your skell, s'why the Skell Suit armors have Drive: ____

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Saigyouji posted:

It's one of the ones in the barracks, behind the table you take story missions from.

Yeah, some of the affinity arts are great. There's a knife skill that does ether damage based on debuffs, and Mia gives you an upgraded version of Beam Barrage,

On the other hand some characters have some serious duds when it comes to Unique Arts *coughAlexacough*

It's kind of amazing how freaking full and lively the city becomes if you do enough sidequests. So many PEOPLE EVERYWHERE. I feel like I keep making poor decisions during quests though, which uh, cuts down on the number of people around due to it, heh.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hahah the cutscene that plays before you get your first skell is the very first teaser trailer
Thought it was a cute detail.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
If you drive a Skell off the ramp and into the bottomless pit that's located in Oblivia you get an achievement. It's located right by the Devil's Nest cave where you get the Baegfleas.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

The Taint Reaper posted:

If you drive a Skell off the ramp and into the bottomless pit that's located in Oblivia you get an achievement. It's located right by the Devil's Nest cave where you get the Baegfleas.

Hell yeah

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

don't be a dick

you can get it without a skell

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Looper posted:

don't be a dick

you can get it without a skell

Yeah but it's cooler if you do it in a skell while it's in vehicle mode. :colbert:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Can anyone give me some help with the Trade Agreement quest? I've begun it and I've managed to find the last few people I'll need to trade with but I've been completely unable to locate the npcs for the first steps of it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah but it's cooler if you do it in a skell while it's in vehicle mode. :colbert:

fair

both of my deaths to that pit have been perfect and punctuated with achievements

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Doug, on his way from the anime kegger to drive a skell.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

zedprime posted:

Doug, on his way from the anime kegger to drive a skell.

You hosed up by not having Doug resemble Doug from Doug.

they have a white shirt and green vest chest piece.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
this game would be better if Doug and Lin switched roles entirely

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man why do "DLC" character affinity missions not pop up on the map? I wanna figure out where Boze's is. I know they mention it when they join but gently caress me if I can remember that stuff. At least the other three have them in pretty obvious places.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm not fully asking for spoilers but can someone just tell me if this games plot actually goes anywhere? I love exploring and I went in knowing full well that the plot was nowhere near as good as 1's but I'm having a insanely tough time giving a poo poo. I've finished chapter 7 and literally nothing has happened of importance except I think I killed whats her face? The party didn't pay attention to her after the fight at all.

Like the only thing I know is what the number on the building means and how it's super serious guys but there's just nothin' going on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh my god I cannot believe ho fun driving the skell around is, just stomping on enemies and figuring out poo poo like binding and overdrive

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
"Help, my beagle just ran from home to Sylvalum to a place called "Caverous Abyss", a giant crater so high where only skell flight can reach it."

Not only can dogs swim across continents, but they can apparently fly.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man why do "DLC" character affinity missions not pop up on the map? I wanna figure out where Boze's is. I know they mention it when they join but gently caress me if I can remember that stuff. At least the other three have them in pretty obvious places.

Sometimes they overlap with other affinity missions and it would be too confusing for FrontierNav to keep track of both.

I know that Bozé and Nagi's affinity mission spots are right next to each other.

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
What really brings out my OCD is when i look at my gamepad and i cant figure out how to ‘complete’ a hexagon to get the yellow shield. Can someone enlighten me on how it works exactly?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
^^ each hex has an associated task. sheet of paper is a sidequest, sparkles mean a field skill treasure, monster head is a tyrant, and handshake is an affinity quest.

just found boze's affinity mission, it's at the end of that strut directly south of blade tower.

Inflammatory fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 10, 2015

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the frontiernav screens are either super cluttered or too empty to be helpful and i wish there were an option to manually add notes and pinpoint locations with the touchscreen

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Joink posted:

What really brings out my OCD is when i look at my gamepad and i cant figure out how to ‘complete’ a hexagon to get the yellow shield. Can someone enlighten me on how it works exactly?

It depends on the icon in the segment. A monster head means you need to kill the local Tyrant, sparkles mean you need to open a specific treasure, paper and hands mean a mission will take you there.

Just beat the Chapter 9 boss. Goddamn that was anime as hell, and amazing for it. Tough as nails, too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Inflammatory posted:

^^ each hex has an associated task. sheet of paper is a sidequest, sparkles mean a field skill treasure, monster head is a tyrant, and handshake is an affinity quest.

just found boze's affinity mission, it's at the end of that strut directly south of blade tower.

Ah, thanks. One step closer to that sweet sweet art.

Also, do any Affinity Missions require more than 3 hearts? That's the highest I've seen so far.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a guide on probe placement / optimization yet?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a guide on probe placement / optimization yet?

It's really not that complicated. Chains are good, placing the type of probe that corresponds to the ranking of the location is good. Try to have all your storage linked up in an otherwise lovely area. Boosters and Duplicators are probably good but are absolutely not necessary, just proper chaining is enough to get you enough miranium you always gain capped amounts of it due to how rare storage probes are.

By the way, I think I really should go do Chapter 6 soon. I'm uh, kinda level 32 and 50 hours into the game and still Skell-less.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

At least you'll be able to upgrade to a better ride immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Do the green target symbols above enemies mean they're part of a quest or even a general "kill x enemy" quest? Doing random exploring and running into quite a few.

Also, if you aren't randomly exploring then piss off and do it. It's a ton of fun booking it to random sites to plant probes and sight see.

• Locked thread