Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Your phone is broken and you should return it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

That huge Awake line makes me think it's something else, especially with the screen off. Can wifi be responsible for wakelocks?

The awake line is from charging it at night.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ilkhan posted:

My 6P seems to be spontaneously rebooting. I've noticed several times it needs the pattern instead of accepting a fingerprint, and I saw it reboot yesterday while sitting untouched on my desk and it just did it again.
Thoughts?
The "requiring a pattern" thing seems to happen sometimes without a reboot. I don't know what causes it but the message is different, it says "password/PIN/pattern required for additional security" or something similar, whereas the reboot text specifically mentions a reboot.

Having said that, my 6P rebooted once by itself today and I don't know why. First time it has happened though.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Tunga posted:

The "requiring a pattern" thing seems to happen sometimes without a reboot. I don't know what causes it but the message is different, it says "password/PIN/pattern required for additional security" or something similar, whereas the reboot text specifically mentions a reboot.

Happens on the Nexus 5x too. And yes, the reboot requiring the pass code message is different.
Maybe it's every few days or something as a security precaution or maybe it's just a bug. We're talking about Google after all.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Tunga posted:

Having said that, my 6P rebooted once by itself today and I don't know why. First time it has happened though.

bronin posted:

Happens on the Nexus 5x too. And yes, the reboot requiring the pass code message is different.
Maybe it's every few days or something as a security precaution or maybe it's just a bug. We're talking about Google after all.

Your phone randomly rebooting will definitely trigger the unlock screen, but I think google also makes it so that if you're using smart-lock and leave the phone untouched for 4 hours or more it'll also require you to enter in your pattern/pin/password.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm the rooted company phone that has been denied updates.

What? No, I have a company-issued iPhone with a large data allowance and my own, rooted android device with a smaller one, as it's quite expensive and not usually necessary. So I use the company phone as a hotspot whenever necessary, but now android ruins everything by endlessly attempting to download the huge updates. So I want to deny updates, but it looks like it used up enough space already that it now can't even start the download. Mission accomplished!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Got the Android 6 update today on my Moto X Pure on Cricket. No complaints about the upgrade, really liking the permissions stuff and I was able to format my 64gb card as internal storage so now I'm rocking an 80GB phone :smugdog:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I want to switch away from Republic Wireless to Cricket maybe with an unlocked phone, and I'm really intent on getting a 2nd gen MotoX, is that a good idea or can I do better?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What's your budget?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Kraps posted:

I want to switch away from Republic Wireless to Cricket maybe with an unlocked phone, and I'm really intent on getting a 2nd gen MotoX, is that a good idea or can I do better?

It's a great phone but battery life leaves more than a bit to be desired. Can't go wrong with an Xperia Z3/Compact or a Moto X Style if you can muster large phones. And there are the Nexus devices if you want an unmolested Android experience. Or you can get Samsung for a molested one.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kraps posted:

It's a good phone, but battery life and camera are aren't up to par with the other 2014 flagships. I'm gonna wait for the LG G4 to drop in price and then make my Moto X someone else's problem.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Massasoit posted:

The awake line is from charging it at night.

Charging doesn't keep the phone awake. You've got something seriously wrong because as the other posters have mentioned, keeping wifi on all the time and using it for location shouldn't have an impact to your battery at all, much less account for the enormous hit that it's showing on your battery chart.

I'm not a fan of factory resetting for any little issue but I think I might in this case.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Your phone randomly rebooting will definitely trigger the unlock screen, but I think google also makes it so that if you're using smart-lock and leave the phone untouched for 4 hours or more it'll also require you to enter in your pattern/pin/password.
It's definitely not that because then I'd see it every morning which I don't, and also it has happened in the middle of the day before when I'd used it minutes earlier. It does seem to happen more commonly when I first pick it up in the morning, but not in a reliable way.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

Got the Android 6 update today on my Moto X Pure on Cricket. No complaints about the upgrade, really liking the permissions stuff and I was able to format my 64gb card as internal storage so now I'm rocking an 80GB phone :smugdog:

Got the update today as well, though without the raging anime fixation :v:

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender
I have a friend using an iphone, possibly on a different carrier. Sometimes when she texts me, I just get some distorted poo poo and then the last word or two of her message. This is probably when the message is longer than 140 characters or whatever. Sometimes she can resend it with slight changes and it's fine, but It's still annoying when it happens.

Examples:
Ԁ΅Ȃlla tonight
Ԁ̍Ȃo come in but then couldn’t

Is this an android thing? an iphone thing? a carrier incompatibility? This has been going on for a few months, and I've used two phones in that time (nexus 5, 6p). I'm on t-mobile, not sure about her carrier.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FAUXTON posted:

Got the update today as well, though without the raging anime fixation :v:
I don't even have any anime :( I just merged the sd card in to feel cool! I will allow me to download a lot more dumb games that I play once and forget about though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I have a friend using an iphone, possibly on a different carrier. Sometimes when she texts me, I just get some distorted poo poo and then the last word or two of her message. This is probably when the message is longer than 140 characters or whatever. Sometimes she can resend it with slight changes and it's fine, but It's still annoying when it happens.

Examples:
Ԁ΅Ȃlla tonight

Is this an android thing? an iphone thing? a carrier incompatibility? This has been going on for a few months, and I've used two phones in that time (nexus 5, 6p). I'm on t-mobile, not sure about her carrier.

Sounds like there's a difference of character encoding or something. What app are you using for SMS?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender

FAUXTON posted:

Sounds like there's a difference of character encoding or something. What app are you using for SMS?

default android messenger app (not hangouts)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

default android messenger app (not hangouts)

You could try a different app and see if that works, but that's unlikely. I have a suspicion she's on Verizon because it'd be just like them to be the shitlord when it came to managing SMS transmissions over 160 characters.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
What's the easiest way to factory reset, then restore all the setting and apps to an unrooted phone? Ever since putting lollipop on my Note 4, YouTube and Netflix constantly pause the videos I'm watching for no reason. Drives me crazy, and I can't seem to find a solution for it.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone know anything about the Moto G 2015 getting Marshmallow? Google tells me it should have happened in November, but...

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Daily Forecast posted:

Does anyone know anything about the Moto G 2015 getting Marshmallow? Google tells me it should have happened in November, but...

Motorola has said it will come but haven't announced a date yet.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The rear end Stooge posted:

Motorola has said it will come but haven't announced a date yet.

According to some users on Reddit, it's in testing with a small group of people now. Same thing for the Moto G 2014.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

According to some users on Reddit, it's in testing with a small group of people now. Same thing for the Moto G 2014.

If I recall, the X Pure 2015 had the pre-soak test group running for maybe a month, followed by the soak test for about a week or so, then they started rolling it out to production. Not sure if today was the beginning of the rollout but I got the update today and at least one other poster in the thread did, too.

It's really nice by the way, the UI seems way more snappy. Downside is that you will want to fiddle with the do not disturb settings to make sure it's where you want it. There's a lot more granularity but you need to set it up first.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anyone know if the Note 5 is getting Marshmallow on T-Mo soon. I've been hearing holiday.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I turned off the location WiFi thing and it seems to be working better now. Well keep an eye on it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Massasoit posted:

I'm having battery issues with my nexus 5. It may be more of WiFi issues. I have WiFi and any setting relating to WiFi turned off but even with WiFi turned off it just stays on and drains my battery.

I think it was something to do with a security patch on Nov 1. The battery life was awesome with 6.0 until the security patch hit and now battery life is poo poo.

Any buried WiFi settings I can look for? I've found others with this issue but no solution...

Can you go into settings -> apps and take screenshots so folks can see all the applications you have installed on your phone? It might help with figuring poo poo out if everyone doesn't have to go through the guesswork.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Lblitzer posted:

It's a great phone but battery life leaves more than a bit to be desired. Can't go wrong with an Xperia Z3/Compact or a Moto X Style if you can muster large phones. And there are the Nexus devices if you want an unmolested Android experience. Or you can get Samsung for a molested one.

I need my phone to fit in pockets because a belt clip is not feasible for me. I like the look of the Nexus 5x.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Quick charging on USB C is nice, but it's still smoked by Quick Charge 2.0.

My Nexus 5x (2700mAh) was put on charge with 60% left while my Moto X Pure (3000mAh) was put on charge at the same time with only 28% left. Moto X Pure beat the Nexus to full by 2 minutes despite the larger battery at a higher state of discharge.

What's nice is they don't have to be exclusive. I fully expect OEMs to continue licensing Quick Charge from Qualcomm even over USB C for their flagships, they'll just be able to charge faster on normal high amp chargers.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Examples:
Ԁ΅Ȃlla tonight

Just looks like drunk texting, update your friend

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

Quick charging on USB C is nice, but it's still smoked by Quick Charge 2.0.

My Nexus 5x (2700mAh) was put on charge with 60% left while my Moto X Pure (3000mAh) was put on charge at the same time with only 28% left. Moto X Pure beat the Nexus to full by 2 minutes despite the larger battery at a higher state of discharge.

What's nice is they don't have to be exclusive. I fully expect OEMs to continue licensing Quick Charge from Qualcomm even over USB C for their flagships, they'll just be able to charge faster on normal high amp chargers.

I really really doubt that most major manufacturers are going to pass on USB C from this point on

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Just got my hands on a galaxy s6 and holy loving poo poo what a screen! I think it's 517 PPI or something stupid like that. Also great for reading using a white on black amoled mode. Kinda slippery phone but eh I got a case.

A++.

Also: Does anyone know if quickcharging works via wireless power-mats?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

AEMINAL posted:

Just got my hands on a galaxy s6 and holy loving poo poo what a screen! I think it's 517 PPI or something stupid like that. Also great for reading using a white on black amoled mode. Kinda slippery phone but eh I got a case.

A++.

Also: Does anyone know if quickcharging works via wireless power-mats?

QuickCharge(tm), probably not. Charge rate on the power pad will depend on the rated output of the charger. Mine is 1A and does fine keeping my s6 full over the course of the day, but takes a bit to catch up if I'm away from my desk for a while.

Beware the s6 battery. If you use it at all, it won't get you through the day. That's why I have qi chargers everywhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Hace posted:

I really really doubt that most major manufacturers are going to pass on USB C from this point on

I didn't say that, I said the opposite in fact. The point is USB C's native charging rates aren't going to be a replacement for Quick Charge. Quick Charge works just fine over USB C, so I fully expect OEMs to continue using it even after they switch to USB C.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have my interruptions settings to allow messages from starred contacts, bug when my wife texts me in the morning to come get the baby, I don't get any vibration or sound. This is on a 2014 Moto X running 5.1. Any ideas what's going on?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I have my interruptions settings to allow messages from starred contacts, bug when my wife texts me in the morning to come get the baby, I don't get any vibration or sound. This is on a 2014 Moto X running 5.1. Any ideas what's going on?
Is it an actual SMS message? Hangouts or similar doesn't count.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

bull3964 posted:

I didn't say that, I said the opposite in fact. The point is USB C's native charging rates aren't going to be a replacement for Quick Charge. Quick Charge works just fine over USB C, so I fully expect OEMs to continue using it even after they switch to USB C.

Ah, misunderstood you

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's a good phone, but battery life and camera are aren't up to par with the other 2014 flagships. I'm gonna wait for the LG G4 to drop in price and then make my Moto X someone else's problem.
Just popped in here to say I picked up the G4 last week and loving owns. Excellent camera, fantastic screen, great battery life.

LG have come out on top for the flagship phone race this year. I come from a history of using Nexus right as far as the Nexus One but this year Google dropped the ball with both the 5X and 6P both being overpriced. The G4 is a better piece of hardware for a lower price. Rooting can be a pain in the rear end though.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
After hopping from an S6 (which I hated so much more than the S5), I picked up a Z3 Compact. This phone is loving incredible and I really should have picked one up sooner. There is a tad too much Sony bloatware but most of it can be disabled. Being able to play PS4 on a tiny screen is pretty slick, battery life is amazing and the charging dock and magnetic chargers are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
it shouldn't be an option to set a silent alarm