Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Roman was barely pushed for like, half the summer, taking a back seat to Lesnar, Taker, Sting, and Seth Rollins. The Lex Express poo poo back in the day put the "Roman Reigns is being shoved down our throats" poo poo to shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

CubsWoo posted:

Maybe I was being confusing but I'm asking who WWE can point to as a homegrown NXT success story. The Performance Center is always talked about as this huge benefit to the company but it seems like most of the callups and success stories that have found a main roster spot have all been FCW holdovers or indie guys they signed and had them spend a year or so down there to figure out how to work WWE style.

Hummmmmmmm

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

this was like a month after I started watching

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Ruggington posted:

this was like a month after I started watching

Same, I think the first night I actually saw was the shield breakup

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

mkay0 posted:

So, will Roman get over, or will Vince give up? How long until one of these things happens? Roman has already been given longer than Luger, right?

Vince, like John, will never give up.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Roman was barely pushed for like, half the summer, taking a back seat to Lesnar, Taker, Sting, and Seth Rollins. The Lex Express poo poo back in the day put the "Roman Reigns is being shoved down our throats" poo poo to shame.

Plus Luger was teased to get the belt and screwed over and over again. WWF and WCW. '93, '94, '95, '96. Won it in '97 and then lost it 5 days later :lol:

You don't want to see Reigns become the new Luger. You think this poo poo drags now, wait until 4 years from now when it's still dragging

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

personlly i think wwe should try and be good and not bad

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Chris James 2 posted:

You don't want to see Reigns become the new Luger. You think this poo poo drags now, wait until 4 years from now when it's still dragging

If it leads to Roman getting a Total Package gimmick though, it'll all be worth it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The thing is they are trying

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

oldpainless posted:

The thing is they are trying

It's scary but they truly are, they've just forgotten how to do it well.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I showed this to a friend of mine who hates pro wrestling and majors in physics and he has no idea how this is happening. He thinks it's cool though

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.

keevo posted:

I want the Philadelphia crowd to drown out Reigns' promo with tater tot chants.

It would be kind of funny if the phrase tater tots somehow got attached to Reigns more than Sheamus

Also, Jon Stewart kayfabe deserved the AA, imo

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Ruggington posted:

remember when roman reigns poisoned stephanie mcmahon

No because that was Vickie.

That was worse because it led to her getting thrown into a kiddie pool full of feces and fired, though.

Also AesopPoprock has just now learned that most wrestling moves make no sense if you keep simple physics in mind, good job buddy we're so proud of you

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
would just like to point out that on the go-home show for NXT TakeOver London:

* the heel challenger, Samoa Joe, put the defending face champion, Finn Balor, out cold in a lock (as he has done multiple times since their feud began), making the audience want to see Joe's comeuppance and what Finn will possibly do to finally beat Joe
* Apollo Crews & Baron Corbin had a brawl that left the arena unresolved, leaving the audience wanting to see more
* the face challenger, Asuka, who's gimmick is that she loving destroys people, destroyed a jobber even after the heels attempted to interfere, making the audience excited to see her finally get to destroy the heels
* the face challengers, Enzo & Cass, cut a promo on the defending heel champions Dash & Dawson, after a match against jobbers that showed they were even more fiery and dangerous than ever, making the audience want to see them finally win
* the heel challenger, Nia Jax, cut a promo on the defending face champion Bayley, after a match in which Bayley was clearly not at 100%, making the audience concerned and worried that she may not be able to defend the title

you know what didn't happen on the go-home show for TakeOver? No one cleanly dominated their opponents, leaving no drama left in the feud. None of the faces made their heel opponents look like fools.

Meanwhile, on Raw, Roman Reigns pins or otherwise defeats Sheamus every chance he gets, and on Smackdown, the Lucha Dragons pinned New Day, and Ambrose/Reigns cleanly beat Sheamus/Owens in a tag. Ugh.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I'd be totally OK with Reigns become '89 Luger.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chris James 2 posted:

Plus Luger was teased to get the belt and screwed over and over again. WWF and WCW. '93, '94, '95, '96. Won it in '97 and then lost it 5 days later :lol:

Why the hell do they drag this poo poo out for so long.... I'd love to make the argument that Bryan's storyline from Summer Slam to WM30 was worth the wait, but that is only because of so many factors that forced them into doing it.

They want somebody to be the top guy, but they just won't give them the title and let them have decisive wins when it counts.

With so many people injured I was looking forward to Reigns title reign to see what they do with it, but it's like they want him to have this grand Wrestlemania moment which is never going to happen no matter how many times Raw ends with him superman punching the champ.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I'd be totally OK with Reigns become '89 Luger.

Late 80's Luger not too shabby.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
The WWE should look at the Warriors and see how high ratings a west coast team is drawing just because they win a lot and maybe they'll realize that the fans just want to see someone win all the time. Even if the person winning isn't the person we like because then we get excited to see when the person who is winning will finally lose. But nope, gotta keep trading back and forth and make every outcome meaningless. Maybe he lost at the PPV but he won on a random Smackdown so who cares.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

john cena will be back soon enough

DeNomolos
Jan 10, 2013

mild mannered meatspin historian
thinking about the rebound lariat and I think the problem is that it comes off as him trying to catch himself falling back through the ropes, rather than catching it to reverse his momentum. It just doesn't make sense as a move unless Dean is constantly slipping out from the middle rope. His tendencies to pull back also hurt him, so it looks weak, like his dives can look sometimes, and especially the running rebound kick off the second turnbuckle. It all looks like the pro-wrestling embodiment of a weird white dude practicing parkour on picnic table.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

he should do a 619 into a discus lariat

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I just want everyone to know

Lex spelled it "Lugar" for the first year or so

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The curse of bad wresting will end when Bobby Heenan is finally granted the mercy of shuffling loose his mortal shell.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
This guy
https://twitter.com/WWERoadDogg/status/674649731495235584

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

DynamiteKidd posted:

That was worse because it led to her getting thrown into a kiddie pool full of feces and fired, though.

the video's on this page you can watch the hero roman reigns poison stephanie mcmahon's coffee, causing her to cartoonishly projectile vomits onto vickie guerrero

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Ruggington posted:

the video's on this page you can watch the hero roman reigns poison stephanie mcmahon's coffee, causing her to cartoonishly projectile vomits onto vickie guerrero

That's just something that Vince thinks a "cool guy" would do. He did the same things with Hogan too during his run. Didn't he have Hogan beat the poo poo out of Virgil for no reason during his fued with DiBiase? Several times?

Soon he'll have Roman chase Bray Wyatt around the arena with a plastic wal-mart sack filled with dog poo poo.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Oh, right, I was mistaken, not you.

Yeah he poisoned his boss and an innocent woman was humiliated and fired over it, causing him to shed not a single tear

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DynamiteKidd posted:

Also AesopPoprock has just now learned that most wrestling moves make no sense if you keep simple physics in mind, good job buddy we're so proud of you

Naito's no-jump effortless flying forearm off the ropes is infamous for not making any sense as to how he actually does it but congrats in trying to win a point against me cause I think you're a poo poo poster

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Physixx has no place in this ring with me, and if he steps into the ring, I'll beat his rear end into the ground!

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Shima Honnou posted:

Physixx has no place in this ring with me, and if he steps into the ring, I'll beat his rear end into the ground!

Physixx has a family...and Shima Honnou doesn't give a drat!!!

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

I get that he wants to support the company he works for, but he asks for constructive criticism from the fans and then basically just puts his fingers in his ears and goes "lalalalalalalalala" when they give it.

The product is clearly in decline, to the point where WWE send out surveys to ask fans what they're doing wrong. Only when they get the response it's basically a case of thanks, but no, your opinions are wrong, you actually want what we're giving you already.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just caught up on the latest Breaking Ground and saw Carmella get kicked in the head :gonk:

Also she is way more charismatic/likable just being herself hanging out with Bayley.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Chromatic posted:

That's just something that Vince thinks a "cool guy" would do. He did the same things with Hogan too during his run. Didn't he have Hogan beat the poo poo out of Virgil for no reason during his fued with DiBiase? Several times?

Virgil always interfered in DiBiase's matches. The whole point of Hogan's doing heel things to the heels were supposed to be cathartic moments for the crowds. They would see these bad guys always getting away with cheating/doing underhanded things to the good guys, but now they were getting a taste of their own medicine. It also helped draw heat on the heels when afterwards they would complain about underhanded tactics being used, and the WWF not doing anything about it, just like they didn't do anything about it when the heels cheated.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

remember when undertaker brutalised randy orton's dad

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Fat Lowtax posted:

If they brought K-Fed back in 2015 he'd still get heat. Miss that dude.

He was one of the best heel celebs to ever grace the WWE in my opinion. Like the Miz there's something that just oozes douche every time you see his face. Zero redeemable qualities at all but self aware enough to know it and he played his role to perfection. His theme song was awesome too.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

oatgan posted:

We didn't have this debate when cm punk caned poor defenseless paul heyman

I might remember wrong because these kind of discussions tend to blend together, but I'm pretty sure we had this exact same debate when CM Punk caned poor defenseless Paul Heyman.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

This isn't anywhere near the same situation but my first thought here was now who's putting too much stock into chants?

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 10, 2015

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

To be fair to Road Dogg here, I cannot think of any wrestler in the world who is more likely to have spent his entire career pointing at crowd chants as being justifications for his continued existence.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

To be fair, Road Dogg has also openly said "If you don't like our wrestling and think other wrestling is better, give them your money" so it's not like he pretends WWE is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

HulkaMatt posted:

This isn't anywhere near the same situation but my first thought here was now who's putting too much stock into chants?

Are you saying that Roman Reigns is only Tater Tots over?

• Locked thread