Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

khy posted:

I always like to do the following :

Plant exactly 12 tatos, assign 1 settler there. Ensure he's working all 12 by hovering over them in build mode - none should have the settler icon in red.
Plant exactly 12 corn, assign 1 settler to them. All 12 corn can/should be worked by 1 person.
Plant exactly 12 mutfruit, assign 2 settlers there.

This gives you exactly 24 food, which is enough for all but the craziest huge settlements out there. Best part is all of the food you're growing can be used to make plenty of vegetable starch with all the purified water you're raking in.

I had thought, from reading elsewhere online, that a settler can only handle 6 plants, is this false?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

JawKnee posted:

I had thought, from reading elsewhere online, that a settler can only handle 6 plants, is this false?

You might have misread. A settler can only handle 6 units of food's worth of plants. Some plants are only worth half a unit of food.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

T.G. Xarbala posted:

You might have misread. A settler can only handle 6 units of food's worth of plants. Some plants are only worth half a unit of food.

ahh, I would have been reading about Mutfruit probably, thanks

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

khy posted:

I know I can assign a settler to a single defensive structure, but how do I make a settler patrol multiple posts? What I want is 1 settler covering my main entrance all the time (Which I have), and two guards patrolling the interior of my homestead.
Guards work just like farmers, or so it seems to me -- they'll walk between up to three guard posts, or if you prefer, "work 6 defense". I just assign them to one post and they make rounds.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

JawKnee posted:

6 FOOD worth of plants.

6 mutfruit = 6 food. 12 corn = 6 food.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 10, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

khy posted:

6 FOOD worth of plants.

6 mutfruit = 6 food. 12 corn = 6 food.

:smugdog:

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

I'm having a weird issue with random encounter spawns. I've tracked down several points for farming encounters, but several of them have eventually just quit spawning. In particular, the house just below Tenpines, the campsite south of Concord, and the bridge just outside the drive-in haven't given me anything the last dozen or so times I've been past when they used to be guaranteed spawns. Anyone else having these issues?

So far places like the BADTFL HQ and Arcjet are still giving me encounters every time, but 99% of the time it's just supermutants or raiders or a deathclaw. Really trying to get the level 4 armor and gun merchants...

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

kazmeyer posted:

I'm having a weird issue with random encounter spawns. I've tracked down several points for farming encounters, but several of them have eventually just quit spawning. In particular, the house just below Tenpines, the campsite south of Concord, and the bridge just outside the drive-in haven't given me anything the last dozen or so times I've been past when they used to be guaranteed spawns. Anyone else having these issues?

So far places like the BADTFL HQ and Arcjet are still giving me encounters every time, but 99% of the time it's just supermutants or raiders or a deathclaw. Really trying to get the level 4 armor and gun merchants...

I know what you are talking about, I think it may be the game trying to prevent farming. I figure it works something like this; Each of these cells will spawn an event, if you engage in the event, that adds to a counter, and once that counter goes up high enough, it stops spawning anything in that cell.

It feels like that events that involve supermutants with the "kill, loot" orders, are involved with places of interest. I have had multiple times where those super mutants spawn near arcjet and if left to their own devices, head to greygardens and get promptly killed off by the handy's there. I also had supermutants try to attack the shipwreck under the bridge, when I was heading into Boston.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 10, 2015

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
gently caress ghouls, man. Those assholes go from 0 to 60 in milliseconds. Plus Bethesda seriously amped up the spooky value of them, so it's twice as worse. Also gently caress Super Mutant Suicide bombers. They just don't give up.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

khy posted:

I know I can assign a settler to a single defensive structure, but how do I make a settler patrol multiple posts? What I want is 1 settler covering my main entrance all the time (Which I have), and two guards patrolling the interior of my homestead.

Also :

Once I have all 6 of the vendor spots filled, my 4 farmers, and 3 or 4 guards what should I assign the other settlers to do? I have one on a scavving station but I honestly can't even tell if he's doing anything or not since I bring back so many supplies of my own. I know I can assign a couple people to create supply lines, but is there any other use for settlers?

Make sure you can tell your outer guard from your inner guards, build the patrol points for your inner guards, manually assign one of the inner guards to any patrol point the outer guard takes up (as long as it's not currently occupied, which will make it non-assignable).

Scavving stations create resources, not random junk items, so it's tough to tell scrap from leftovers. And like I posted upthread, any excess food will build up in the workshop too, so feel free to plant some more adhesive ingredients.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Can someone explain the point of being able to click the controller mouse to zoom the pip-boy screen in half an inch? It's not like anything's illegible without the zoom, nor really any more legible with it.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

JackBadass posted:

Can someone explain the point of being able to click the controller mouse to zoom the pip-boy screen in half an inch? It's not like anything's illegible without the zoom, nor really any more legible with it.

Bethesda bad at UI and UX design

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I know what you are talking about, I think it may be the game trying to prevent farming. I figure it works something like this; Each of these cells will spawn an event, if you engage in the event, that adds to a counter, and once that counter goes up high enough, it stops spawning anything in that cell.

It feels like that events that involve supermutants with the "kill, loot" orders, are involved with places of interest. I have had multiple times where those super mutants spawn near arcjet and if left to their own devices, head to greygardens and get promptly killed off by the handy's there. I also had supermutants try to attack the shipwreck under the bridge, when I was heading into Boston.

If that's the case, I'm furious at how many of my random encounter chances have been burned on loving Art vs. Art firefights. At least I'm doing the Lone Wanderer thing now so I can just melt the synth one instead of having to wait and listen to the shooting for 20 minutes before someone finally gets a kill.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Stringbean posted:

gently caress ghouls, man. Those assholes go from 0 to 60 in milliseconds. Plus Bethesda seriously amped up the spooky value of them, so it's twice as worse. Also gently caress Super Mutant Suicide bombers. They just don't give up.

Those are seriously the two least threatening mobs right behind radroaches. For ghouls, just aim for the legs. For Super Mutant Suicide Bombers, aim for the bomb arm from a medium distance.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

JawKnee posted:

Bethesda bad at UI and UX design

Nothing about it is "bad", though, I just don't see the practical use.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

JackBadass posted:

If no one ever uses it then it's bad design.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Seashell Salesman posted:

Uh, no? Don't know where you got that idea from. If no one uses it, then it's a pointless design. If it hinders use, then it's a bad design.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

JackBadass posted:

Uh, no? Don't know where you got that idea from. If no one uses it, then it's a pointless design. If it hinders use, then it's a bad design.

I don't know what sort of weird hippy company you work for, but in my world if something doesn't add value then it's a failure and the team gets re-orged. Either something is a good feature or a bad feature.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I don't know what sort of weird hippy company you work for, but in my world if something doesn't add value then it's a failure and the team gets re-orged. Either something is a good feature or a bad feature.

Good thing we're not talking about a company, then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's a really roundabout way to diss Bethesda yo

khy
Aug 15, 2005

JackBadass posted:

If I had to guess, and this is ONLY a guess, it's meant for people who want to maximize their menu real-estate by showing the pip-boy screen as much as possible without showing the animated hand and pip-boy itself. Which may not be practical but I suppose some people would rather have a bigger, more detailed menu than see the little animations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

JackBadass posted:

Good thing we're not talking about a company, then.

e: Oh you're saying Bethesda isn't a company? Not sure what that means but probably a good time to stop engaging...

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

khy posted:

If I had to guess, and this is ONLY a guess, it's meant for people who want to maximize their menu real-estate by showing the pip-boy screen as much as possible without showing the animated hand and pip-boy itself. Which may not be practical but I suppose some people would rather have a bigger, more detailed menu than see the little animations.

I guess, but it still leaves a lot of unused real-estate even when zoomed. My first thought was that the zoomed view would stop the idle animation of him beating the ever loving poo poo out of the Pip-boy, but those still happen, too. I'm sure a zoom is what they meant it for, but it seems kind of pointless to zoom something that's already the large majority of the screen to only a teensy bit larger.

Doesn't matter anyway, I was just thinking out loud.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

e: Oh you're saying Bethesda isn't a company? Not sure what that means but probably a good time to stop engaging...

We're talking about a video game, not Bethesda. I agree with this being a good time to stop engaging, though, but I'd have suggested a couple posts ago when you lost track of what we were talking about as a much better time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

JackBadass posted:

Not sure of the exact quote, but a design is perfect when there's nothing else about it you can take away

also: This UI is demonstrably worse than the previous games, or even loving Skyrim

And when modders have been getting it right for years, you have no loving excuse. The UI is awful.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

JawKnee posted:

Not sure of the exact quote, but a design is perfect when there's nothing else about it you can take away

also: This UI is demonstrably worse than the previous games, or even loving Skyrim

And when modders have been getting it right for years, you have no loving excuse. The UI is awful.

Yeah, they say this about literally every one of these games and I just don't see it. Specifically, what's awful about the UI?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

JackBadass posted:

Yeah, they say this about literally every one of these games and I just don't see it. Specifically, what's awful about the UI?

If you really dig the UI, then might I suggest you stop giving a poo poo about other people not liking it. It changes nothing about your experience with the game, but it does clog the thread up with another 30 pages of poo poo arguments over subjective guff.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

If you really dig the UI, then might I suggest you stop giving a poo poo about other people not liking it. It changes nothing about your experience with the game, but it does clog the thread up with another 30 pages of poo poo arguments over subjective guff.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

JackBadass posted:

I can't get specific about every aspect, that would take too long for a quick response while I'm not actually playing the game and noting stuff down.

What comes to mind immediately are:

- For the pip-boy, not having in-menu item sorting is inexcusable. There's ALREADY a mod out for this, there are mods out for this for NV, FO3, and Skyrim.

- Also for the pip-boy, why are notes no longer contained under data? This is confusing. Memorability is a large part of UI design.

- Also for the pip-boy, the extremities take up far too much space - I'm convinced this is why they put in the minimal zooming, but even that is not enough to help this

- When dealing with merchants (keyboard + mouse) why can I scroll down the list I happen to be focused on, but not switch menu focus without moving the mouse?

These are just a few, I'll keep track of a few more while I'm actually playing if you like.

e: and my major pissoff: Why is tab sometimes the way to exit a menu, and sometimes it's the 'esc' key? Consistency is another HUGE part of UI design. This is baby-steps bullshit.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

JackBadass posted:

We're talking about a video game, not Bethesda. I agree with this being a good time to stop engaging, though, but I'd have suggested a couple posts ago when you lost track of what we were talking about as a much better time.

Okay, back on track then.

So, Bethesda is a company that makes video games. It's natural for someone who's discussing features of Bethesda software to use the standards of the software industry, even as an outsider to Bethesda, to reason about them. User value is the success/failure criteria I'm using, and by your own admission this feature is a failure by that criteria. If you have something else to judge it by, which you think is more widely accepted as a success criteria for UX in software then please elaborate.

e: If you'd rather discuss over PM then I am happy to do that too. Becoming more customer focused is actually something I'm all about at the moment.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 10, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

JawKnee posted:

I can't get specific about every aspect, that would take too long for a quick response while I'm not actually playing the game and noting stuff down.

What comes to mind immediately are:

- For the pip-boy, not having in-menu item sorting is inexcusable. There's ALREADY a mod out for this, there are mods out for this for NV, FO3, and Skyrim.

- Also for the pip-boy, why are notes no longer contained under data? This is confusing. Memorability is a large part of UI design.

- Also for the pip-boy, the extremities take up far too much space - I'm convinced this is why they put in the minimal zooming, but even that is not enough to help this

- When dealing with merchants (keyboard + mouse) why can I scroll down the list I happen to be focused on, but not switch menu focus without moving the mouse?

These are just a few, I'll keep track of a few more while I'm actually playing if you like.

I'll give you the notes one for sure. That was really annoying. Sorting-wise, it's already alphabetical, which is all I'd use, anyway. We covered my stance on the zooming thing, and I play on PS4, so I wasn't aware of the mouse thing, but that sounds like a pain.

Thanks for being one of the very few select non-dumbasses in this thread who can actually have a conversation, and I'd very much be interested to hear any more you find.

Okay, back on track then.

So, Bethesda is a company that makes video games. It's natural for someone who's discussing features of Bethesda software to use the standards of the software industry, even as an outsider to Bethesda, to reason about them. User value is the success/failure criteria I'm using, and by your own admission this feature is a failure by that criteria. If you have something else to judge it by, which you think is more widely accepted as a success criteria for UX in software then please elaborate.

e: If you'd rather discuss over PM then I am happy to do that too. Becoming more customer focused is actually something I'm all about at the moment.

We're talking about what the point of a half-inch zoom is, not the company that made the game. Let's keep on track.

Magmarashi posted:

I didn't say I "really dig" the UI, I was asking someone (else) to elaborate on what they were talking about, but thanks for throwing your two cents in.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Just finished this tonight, I sided with the Railroad and the endgame was just flat. I think the biggest problem with the story is that you can go too far into each faction's story line before it locks you out of it.

The battle of Bunker Hill should have been a huge fight, but all 3 factions were friendly with me so I didn't do much but shoot a vertibird down with a Fatman for shits and giggles. Feels like that should have been the big decision point mission.
Then the whole Institute assault was really flat compared to the end of FO:NV or FO3, it lacked a good setpiece moment. Plus betraying the Institute at the end felt really dumb considering how much effort I'd put into helping them just a few minutes earlier. I also wasn't able to put a railroad spike into the face of the head of SRB.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

JackBadass posted:

We're talking about what the point of a half-inch zoom is, not the company that made the game. Let's keep on track.

I actually never made a post about the point of the zoom, nor did you ever reply to one of my posts with your own ideas about the point of it.

My first word on the pip-boy zoom was

quote:

To which you replied

quote:

Uh, no?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

I actually never made a post about the point of the zoom, nor did you ever reply to one of my posts with your own ideas about the point of it.

My first word on the pip-boy zoom was

To which you replied

My mistake. In that case, we were talking about how the lack of a point to the zoom doesn't equate to a bad design, not about the company that made the game. So again, let's stay on track.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Okay, yeah. Now that I'm doing it I can see why you all think this is the best quest in the game.

My only gripe is that I wish the scarf was actually drawn up to cover the face, at least the mouth.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sometimes R is scrap, sometimes R is equip. Sometimes T is equip. Sometimes E is equip. Sometimes tab exits, sometimes tab stores things. They are hell bent on using only a few keys judging by the fact that the change perspective key is the same as the workshop key. Yet they can't even use them consistently.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

JackBadass posted:

My mistake. In that case, we were talking about how the lack of a point to the zoom doesn't equate to a bad design, not about the company that made the game. So again, let's stay on track.

That's precisely the point I have addressed. User value is the success criteria. There is no user value, therefore it is a failure.

e: Since you seem really curious or are just not making the connection-- the reason I mentioned Bethesda a few times in explaining this is that you asked me specifically "where" I got the idea that lack of user adoption implied failure. Bethesda is a for-profit business so they are going to be using some kind of metric to assess the value added by feature development on FO4 and whatever else they make.

Seashell Salesman fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Dec 10, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I actually thought the pip boy and computer zoom was an accident. Sometimes it just happens to be zoomed in more. Then I realized you can change it. It's a weird feature.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Speedball posted:

Interesting. Deacon introduces you to Desdemona in many ways. If you've only progressed some of the way through the Minutemen, he mentions you're rebuilding them out of Sanctuary. If you've got the Castle and artillery, he calls you the general of the minutemen. If you've gone exploring into dangerous areas a bunch, he mentions how you like delving into crazy, dangerous areas a lot. If your first time meeting them is because you've just killed a courser, Deacon introduces you as the "courser-killer" and fast-forwards your introduction process.

I wonder how many other achivements he recognizes.

For me he mentioned taking out the super mutants on that island for the BoS. And one other thing but can't remember what it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

FrankieGoes posted:

For me he mentioned taking out the super mutants on that island for the BoS. And one other thing but can't remember what it was.

I got the courser one on one playthrough, and on another playthrough where I just went straight there without really doing any quests yet I got the "exploring dangerous areas" one. I think it might just be the catch-all in case you haven't done anything specifically recognized yet.

• Locked thread