Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Louisgod posted:

Do the green target symbols above enemies mean they're part of a quest or even a general "kill x enemy" quest? Doing random exploring and running into quite a few.

Also, if you aren't randomly exploring then piss off and do it. It's a ton of fun booking it to random sites to plant probes and sight see.

Yeah they're either part of one of your quests or squad tasks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The fight structure in chapter 9 is literally the stupidest thing ever. The bosses literally beeline your character the entire time once you kill the mooks which is ridiculous.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Yeah they're either part of one of your quests or squad tasks.

Squad tasks have a different symbol. It's a grey S.

Zombie Defiler
Apr 30, 2005

I don't much care for your negative attitude, mister.

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's really not that complicated. Chains are good, placing the type of probe that corresponds to the ranking of the location is good. Try to have all your storage linked up in an otherwise lovely area. Boosters and Duplicators are probably good but are absolutely not necessary, just proper chaining is enough to get you enough miranium you always gain capped amounts of it due to how rare storage probes are.

Once you hit 99 in a "rare resource" that you mine from those probe locations you auto-sell the extras, so actually placing lots of mining probes on all those mineral locations will eventually become income, in addition to the obvious miranium increase.

Really I'm having trouble spending all my miranium at this point, since I have capped out all my arms manufacturers at rank 5. I mostly try to make augments/slots and sell the excess via those little board quests.

Louisgod posted:

Do the green target symbols above enemies mean they're part of a quest or even a general "kill x enemy" quest? Doing random exploring and running into quite a few.

Those green squares with a "!" are monsters for one of your quests, if its a S like the stylized one on the Squad Tasks pane then its for reward tickets/opening online missions.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Sam Faust posted:

Squad tasks have a different symbol. It's a grey S.

Hmm, I could have sworn I had the green ones on something I didn't have a quest for. Oh well.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not fully asking for spoilers but can someone just tell me if this games plot actually goes anywhere? I love exploring and I went in knowing full well that the plot was nowhere near as good as 1's but I'm having a insanely tough time giving a poo poo. I've finished chapter 7 and literally nothing has happened of importance except I think I killed whats her face? The party didn't pay attention to her after the fight at all.

Like the only thing I know is what the number on the building means and how it's super serious guys but there's just nothin' going on.

There are still a few more plot twists, and of course it gets into the meaning of what it is to be human. Also make sure you stick around after the credits. I will say though that the game ends with a fairly big question that's kind of a sequel hook.

My spoiler tags here are super vague and reveal no actual details that you couldn't just guess, but I marked them anyway.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Hey did you know you can change which character you control by putting them first in the team order? I sure didn't.

I sort of figured it wasn't a thing in this game even though I played Xenoblade.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

brainwrinkle posted:

Hey did you know you can change which character you control by putting them first in the team order? I sure didn't.

I sort of figured it wasn't a thing in this game even though I played Xenoblade.

This is a thing in nearly every RPG ever.

Also who the hell voices the Farscape and Wing Commander type aliens in XCX? The big guy sounds(and looks like) Dr. Robotnik.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Kill this monster... IN THE RAIN!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

natetimm posted:

Kill this monster... IN THE RAIN!

For these types of missions I found it's better to just keep skipping time until rain happens.

Also hire a level 55-60 scout when you engage because a ton of them have one hit kill moves. Best just to do it once and do it quick because they despawn when the rain stops even if you're mid battle.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a guide on probe placement / optimization yet?

Place your strongest research probes on areas with multiple sightseeing locations and high revenue. Use booster probes around them. Sites with multiple sightseeing spots in a row are a good place to chain research bonuses. A single spot is netting me nearly 30,000 credits alone. I'm racking in 140,000 credits per run. I'd have a lot more but research probes are rare as hell.

You can sell excess precious resources unless I'm needing 99 of each to make some super skell for the post game. Every time I check back I make 40,000 selling a bunch of materials I don't really need atm.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was gonna talk about how satisfied I am with adjusting the camera controls, but they randomly get reset to the defaults when you're outside/in NLA, and apparently just plain don't work indoors. :argh: I was also all set to play entirely on the gamepad from the comfort of my lounging chair, but I can't read poo poo - why is the text so loving small?

I wish the characters showed some actual facial emotion. Lin freaking out at the Skell in the beginning was particularly amusing, and also kind of creepy.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 10, 2015

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Lin, stop insisting you're going to kill and eat the first sentient, indigenous lifeform we found on this planet. You're a psychopath and, worse yet, not funny.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinity Gaia posted:

It's really not that complicated. Chains are good, placing the type of probe that corresponds to the ranking of the location is good. Try to have all your storage linked up in an otherwise lovely area. Boosters and Duplicators are probably good but are absolutely not necessary, just proper chaining is enough to get you enough miranium you always gain capped amounts of it due to how rare storage probes are.

By the way, I think I really should go do Chapter 6 soon. I'm uh, kinda level 32 and 50 hours into the game and still Skell-less.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Place your strongest research probes on areas with multiple sightseeing locations and high revenue. Use booster probes around them. Sites with multiple sightseeing spots in a row are a good place to chain research bonuses. A single spot is netting me nearly 30,000 credits alone. I'm racking in 140,000 credits per run. I'd have a lot more but research probes are rare as hell.

You can sell excess precious resources unless I'm needing 99 of each to make some super skell for the post game. Every time I check back I make 40,000 selling a bunch of materials I don't really need atm.

Are there specific location patches of them that work better?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Suspicious Cook posted:

Lin, stop insisting you're going to kill and eat the first sentient, indigenous lifeform we found on this planet. You're a psychopath and, worse yet, not funny.

You're expecting a woman to be funny?

Who's the real alien around here?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Suspicious Cook posted:

*reused lin pointing at the sky with a pixar smile followed by a zoom in on tatsu shocked and scared*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lord Ephraim posted:

I keep all of my resources and instead I sell my collectables. Once you input them into your intel, you don't need them anymore, other then for some missions but they are easy enough to get again anyways.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Do we have a list of where all the party members are? Because i'm only running with Elma and Lin out of practicality of them always being in the barracks. I've heard characters say that L is in Armory Alley but i can't find him! Unless i have to do Chapter 5 or somthing before he'll actually show up?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Do we have a list of where all the party members are? Because i'm only running with Elma and Lin out of practicality of them always being in the barracks. I've heard characters say that L is in Armory Alley but i can't find him! Unless i have to do Chapter 5 or somthing before he'll actually show up?

Character's usual spots are marked on the map, either with a check or a clear symbol depending on whether you've already spoken to them or not. Irina, Gwin, Lao, L, and Doug are in various spots around the Admin. District.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
26 hours in and I got my Skell, gonna wait 'till tomorrow to actually do anything with it, but drat it feels nice to finally get it.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Your game pad will tell you where they are. Why didn't they just let you use the menu to do it? Same reason they took being able to adjust time from the menu. Because gently caress you.

Luckily I'm fine running around with Elma and Lin and whoever happened to be in my party for whatever reason.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Skells are fun. My second battle with one, it blew up and I got a very appropriate achievement. I then realized maybe I should equip some weapons on the thing to actually do real damage.

Also, I'm glad I waited to travel to Sylvanum until I had s skell. It took less than a minute to get there from Primordia's north coast.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
okay what are shrads and where do i find them in cauldros?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone able to recommend a good support/healer party member worth tracking down early-game? Also how exactly are party members sometimes reviving downed buddies?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anyone able to recommend a good support/healer party member worth tracking down early-game? Also how exactly are party members sometimes reviving downed buddies?

3k TP=One Revive

Also best early game healer is YOU the main character, pick healing class.

Also if the game asks you to lower the difficulty, do it. You don't get punished or locked out of anything.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Where the gently caress is my smell? I logged in in the Barracks and it's gone. "Return to smell" is grayed out in the party menu. I checked the hangar... Stumped. This is stupid.

Edit: smell = skell, quality autocorrect.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Reviving can be done by anyone but requires 3000 TP. They probably are holding their TP a little better then you.

There's no real 'healer' in XCX- Soul Voices are going to be your main source of healing, and buffs are gonna be way more important for avoiding damage in the first place. The only party member I've seen that even seems to skew that way is Doug and even then I don't think he gets a heal until Class Level 9 or so. If you're getting roughed up a lot the aura from the base class, Drifter, gives Regen + Evasion and can come in very handy during the early parts of the game. If your party members are dying a lot you generally just want to start triggering more Soul Voices (Using arts that do more damage in certain conditions are handy for that- getting the bonus effect/damage from them often triggers a Soul Voice prompt)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 10, 2015

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Which classes hold up well into the late game? I'm thinking progression to either Astral Crusader or Duelist.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

enojy posted:

Where the gently caress is my smell? I logged in in the Barracks and it's gone. "Return to smell" is grayed out in the party menu. I checked the hangar... Stumped. This is stupid.

Edit: smell = skell, quality autocorrect.

Has it been destroyed multiple times without you getting the Perfect eject? If so, you need to buy a new one. Insurance only lasts so long.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Terper posted:

Has it been destroyed multiple times without you getting the Perfect eject? If so, you need to buy a new one. Insurance only lasts so long.

Is there a way to extend or buy new insurance? I'm not super concerned because I'm at the point where my probes are starting to rake it in but I'd still prefer to keep the things going as long as possible.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Terper posted:

Nah, I just got it last night and hardly did anything with it. Fought a few random enemies, fast traveled back to NLA, walked into the Barracks and saved/quit. I have no idea where it is! I'm awfully sure I got out of it right at the Barracks' door, unless perhaps I fast traveled directly to the Barracks? Can't remember. Maybe it's wherever I last was with it? Which is like... Who knows where, poo poo.

Edit: found out what happened. The game told me "don't forget to register your skell to yourself!" when I got it, so I did that. It was already registered to me, though, so registering it again unregisters it.

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 10, 2015

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

bloodychill posted:

Is there a way to extend or buy new insurance? I'm not super concerned because I'm at the point where my probes are starting to rake it in but I'd still prefer to keep the things going as long as possible.

No. You can get salvage tickets if your division is top of the rankings, though, which pay for one repair job.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

enojy posted:

Nah, I just got it last night and hardly did anything with it. Fought a few random enemies, fast traveled back to NLA, walked into the Barracks and saved/quit. I have no idea where it is! I'm awfully sure I got out of it right at the Barracks' door, unless perhaps I fast traveled directly to the Barracks? Can't remember. Maybe it's wherever I last was with it? Which is like... Who knows where, poo poo.

Fast travel somewhere else, the skell should follow.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Saigyouji posted:

No. You can get salvage tickets if your division is top of the rankings, though, which pay for one repair job.

Alright, cool. I have collected a handful of those so I know what to do with them when my first really expensive skell eats it a few times.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is it A Thing to equip a full set of Blade +cloaking gear and then just scout way ahead and try to unlock tons of waypoints and nodes early?

Saigyouji posted:

Is this the best reward to get?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I wish the vehicle mode controlled like a normal videogame car instead of using the stick to both turn and accelerate.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PRADA SLUT posted:

Which classes hold up well into the late game? I'm thinking progression to either Astral Crusader or Duelist.

If you want to destroy things in seconds go the Samurai gunner/Duelist route.

If you want to be a tank and just not die but also cause very little damage and have your party be buffed and do the killing go galactic knight.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
Finally got to level 30, too busy taking my sweet time with other things I suppose. Squad Goals though...

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

_Endgame_ posted:

Finally got to level 30, too busy taking my sweet time with other things I suppose. Squad Goals though...

I hope you went all the way and got the plug suit cosmetic gear from the missions. Also give Lin the Rei Ayanami gauze eye patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

me in the equipment screen

edit: wait poo poo that's not the right picture

• Locked thread