Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I am retarded. You want a .pst for EACH mailbox?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/13908.bulk-export-mailboxes-to-pst-in-exchange-2010.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
yep. Found that article a minute ago, don't know how I didn't find that when I was doing my original search. Thanks for the help guys!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I'm not good with powershell but there's sure to be a way to search for all mailboxes, then do a for-each mailbox export request on the results

Yeah, as long as you actually want to export every single mailbox, the solution is probably 2 lines long. Never done Powershell stuff with Exchange but I'm assuming it would be:

Get-Mailbox -identity * | forEach-Object { New-ExportWhatever -Path D:\WhyAmIDoingThis\ }

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Laserface posted:

After speaking with the HR guy, its definitely below my pay grade, although I went back and threw a bunch of applications at genius/expert stuff too so lets see how they go - I work better with people in person than on the phone, for sure.

whats progression like within apple once you're in? easy to move between teams?

Late reply but here goes. You don't seriously get considered for other teams unless you've been with the company for more than a year. I've not met anyone that came in through retail / AC that didn't have 3-4 years in those orgs before jumping to corporate.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Virigoth posted:

A good go to is make them explain what they'd do in a scenario with a whiteboard. Maybe it's a task you've been thinking about automating that is just busy work for a new tech.

Ask them to solve a current problem you're working on or just solved and ding them because they didn't come up with exactly the same solution you did with the same tradeoffs.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, as long as you actually want to export every single mailbox, the solution is probably 2 lines long. Never done Powershell stuff with Exchange but I'm assuming it would be:

Get-Mailbox -identity * | forEach-Object { New-ExportWhatever -Path D:\WhyAmIDoingThis\ }

Keep an eye on this if you run something similar. Exchange likes to be poo poo sometimes and hang mid copy.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

luminalflux posted:

Ask them to solve a current problem you're working on or just solved and ding them because they didn't come up with exactly the same solution you did with the same tradeoffs.

My interview had one of these, except the issue was "a fax machine wasn't sending faxes". I went down the whole list of troubleshooting steps even though I hit it on the head with the first step of 'verify the number they're entering'.

That's right, my technical interview was to ensure users were hitting 1 in front of a fax number.

This is the easiest job of my life.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I mean my interviews I have to basically play dumb about poo poo i know a lot about to figure out what they know about. If they don't know stuff I just start talking about video games until my 45 minute slot is up.

Hint: if you're interviewing for my company and we start talking about video games after 10 minutes it's probably not going good.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

My interview had one of these, except the issue was "a fax machine wasn't sending faxes". I went down the whole list of troubleshooting steps even though I hit it on the head with the first step of 'verify the number they're entering'.

That's right, my technical interview was to ensure users were hitting 1 in front of a fax number.

This is the easiest job of my life.

I seriously think thats more useful than asking someone super technical questions. I've worked with so many people that are "book smart", but they don't have experience working with general users. They often overestimate a users ability to find the address bar.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
My favorite interview questions are "what do you like doing" and "what don't you like doing" but I'm pragmatic :shobon:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

luminalflux posted:

Also ask them to solve, from memory, a problem that you encounter all the time because of your own negligence, like recovering corrupted Exchange mailboxes or MySQL databases.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite one is to ask them what they will do if I tell them to solve a problem and then immediately leave and they have no assistance.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone use Thinkingphones? We spend half a million a year on phones and video/audio conferencing, they're telling me they can do it for way less and take over for GoToMeeting/WebEx/BlueJeans/Shoretel, just wondering if anyone has a testimonial before I start giving them my time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Grimshak posted:

I seriously think thats more useful than asking someone super technical questions. I've worked with so many people that are "book smart", but they don't have experience working with general users. They often overestimate a users ability to find the address bar.

My boss has done this in the past. The question was about not being able to print. Turns out the "issue" is that MS Word doesn't work and thus they were unable to print. It's a good example of getting someone to ask the right questions on what they are trying to do exactly and to show them instead of just telling.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Just found out my lovely director is getting moved out of the role in the new year, and the lovely sys admin that I wouldn't piss on if he was on fire is getting let go soon.

This is the day. THIS IS THE GREATEST DAY.

Seriously I should sell time shares of my life so that other people could experience it. This is what pure joy feels like.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Zero VGS posted:

Anyone use Thinkingphones? We spend half a million a year on phones and video/audio conferencing, they're telling me they can do it for way less and take over for GoToMeeting/WebEx/BlueJeans/Shoretel, just wondering if anyone has a testimonial before I start giving them my time.

There's definitely someone in one of these threads who works for them

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

There's definitely someone in one of these threads who works for them

gently caress, well, if they are here, they better not internet detective me to their sales department or I'll hold it against them.

But nah I was just looking for some unbiased goon experience, they'll talk roses and sunshine to me all day obviously but they can't be all things to all people so I'm trying to see what their UC weak spots are.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Anyone have any experience working in academic IT departments? Apparently it's a common thing now to set up personal storage drives for 40k+ students. I can't even imagine how to begin supporting that.

It's the same as doing it anywhere else, you just limit the provisioning for the shares to a reasonable size like <5 gigs. And if you're a university that has over 40,000 students then you'll likely operate a fairly sizable data center.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

My 2 cents,

Academic IT moves a little slow but not as slow as Financial Institutions. The pay is on the low end but usually makes up for it in PTO and job security.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Anyone have any experience working in academic IT departments? Apparently it's a common thing now to set up personal storage drives for 40k+ students. I can't even imagine how to begin supporting that.

My district spent all of their money on WAPs and a subsidized gigabit ISP, then moved everything possible to cloud services. Almost no user storage allowed on site and Google Drive was the official backup solution

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 10, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

My 2 cents,

Academic IT moves a little slow but not as slow as Financial Institutions. The pay is on the low end but usually makes up for it in PTO and job security.
Depends on the kind of academia too.

Education is a racket, tuitions are higher than they've ever been, and there's not much of a financial crunch besides the desire to squeeze every last penny out. Job security is good, funding is good, and it doesn't look like anything's going to change soon. Most colleges are public and that will generally make you a public employee on the state's public health system, which is typically expensive but very good. Supporting education-oriented institutions is usually about big scale instead of other kinds of interesting projects, unless you happen to be working within a smaller cluster computing group or something.

Research IT is an absolute nightmare trainwreck though, with most grants having dried up in the recession and most institutions now reliant on private endowments and development/fundraising in order to make ends meet. The advantage to the latter is you typically end up working with some really high-end stuff in IT, and engineering some really complex systems. It also tends to move a lot faster by necessity, because competitors will beat you to discoveries if you don't have the agility to keep up.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Working at the HPC center at KTH seemed interesting. Basically most research projects in the Stockholm area colocate their supercomputers there, so the center isn't actually purchasing the hardware, the projects are. Unfortunately this means that it's been tricky to source money to expand infrastructure like power and cooling when someone happens to drop a new cluster in the lap of the people running it.

Also, you have to deal with academia politics in environments like that.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Rumors arround the office are saying my contract will be extended by 3 months.
its not much, but it's something.
Hopefully I can confirm this soon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Roargasm posted:

My district spent all of their money on WAPs and a subsidized gigabit ISP, then moved everything possible to cloud services. Almost no user storage allowed on site and Google Drive was the official backup solution

This is pmuch what I was expecting across the board.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Roargasm posted:

You said district, so I am assuming k-12. How do you get around storing things like IEP's and other confidential documents on someone else's hardware? My wife works special ed and they have been trying to put these off site, but there are worries about who has access to what.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SubjectVerbObject posted:

You said district, so I am assuming k-12. How do you get around storing things like IEP's and other confidential documents on someone else's hardware? My wife works special ed and they have been trying to put these off site, but there are worries about who has access to what.

If its anything like our dealings with k-12 they just stick their head in the sand

gently caress k-12 IT forever

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

SubjectVerbObject posted:

We used eSped.com. Stuff like the business ERP went to a hosted Citrix environment. I still maintain that the hosting people were worse at running servers than I am, but the time it saved was awesome

GoatShaver
Nov 12, 2010

PBS posted:

Free 6mo pluralsights sub up on slickdeals.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Had a beer with my old boss last night. He was pissed off when I left because I blindsided him with "I got a job offer for 40% more, I love working here but I got bills to pay". Catching up was great, we both apologized for how things went down, talked shop about their clients and my new job.

He implied a few times that he'll always have a position open for me if I would consider it, and asked if I was open to doing some contracted work for them if they needed some extra hands. I would really love to go back there because it was a fantastic work environment and the co-workers were all friends, and the work was challenging / interesting. If the money was good I would have never left.

Is this something I should be considering? I know there's a hardfast rule of "don't accept counter-offers" when quitting, but I'm 90 days removed now and have made my point that I can find jobs elsewhere if the money isn't coming in. Is it a good idea to send him an offer with my required salary, or just wait for him to send me an offer (if he does), or is it best to put it out of my mind and move on?

My goal in this industry is to break 6 figures within 10 years. I'm working on year 3 and am a third of the way there (from my starting salary). If I go back to this company I'll never make it because they simply cannot afford a 6 figure employee. I can go cut-throat, gain certs, job hop, and reach for my goal by 35, or I can settle in, have fun, and enjoy my career. No idea.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Had a beer with my old boss last night. He was pissed off when I left because I blindsided him with "I got a job offer for 40% more, I love working here but I got bills to pay". Catching up was great, we both apologized for how things went down, talked shop about their clients and my new job.

He implied a few times that he'll always have a position open for me if I would consider it, and asked if I was open to doing some contracted work for them if they needed some extra hands. I would really love to go back there because it was a fantastic work environment and the co-workers were all friends, and the work was challenging / interesting. If the money was good I would have never left.

Is this something I should be considering? I know there's a hardfast rule of "don't accept counter-offers" when quitting, but I'm 90 days removed now and have made my point that I can find jobs elsewhere if the money isn't coming in. Is it a good idea to send him an offer with my required salary, or just wait for him to send me an offer (if he does), or is it best to put it out of my mind and move on?

My goal in this industry is to break 6 figures within 10 years. I'm working on year 3 and am a third of the way there (from my starting salary). If I go back to this company I'll never make it because they simply cannot afford a 6 figure employee. I can go cut-throat, gain certs, job hop, and reach for my goal by 35, or I can settle in, have fun, and enjoy my career. No idea.

Hey what's up 6-figure by 35 buddy (that's my goal as well). If they can't afford to pay you what you're worth as an FTE then it's probably best not to go back? If they want some contract work that wouldn't be a bad thing, depending on what they are looking for, your current workload, etc etc.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know 6 figures is a nice round number, but I've found now that I'm almost 35 it doesn't matter as much. My wife and I bring home enough money that we live an extremely comfortable lifestyle and I don't think an extra 10K gross would make that much of a difference to us especially if it came at the cost of our quality of life.

I don't make 100K now, but I wouldn't trade my current awesome job for a 100K job in a lovely environment. There's more to life than cash compensation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

50 grand a year feels like 100 grand a year if you don't have children and have no interest in ever having children.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This time 3 years ago I didn't even have my A+ or temp job as a tech, you're behind the curve! The goal posts are always going to keep shifting, I would set goals that you can actually measure besides something that has a huge random component/cost of living factor. That said I never would have guessed you're only 3 years into the career based on your posting so you're probably doing something right

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

50k/year puts you in poverty in Vancouver, and the average required household income to buy a home is 150k :stare:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

CLAM DOWN posted:

50k/year puts you in poverty in Vancouver, and the average required household income to buy a home is 150k :stare:

Ooh hey something Toronto's not the worst at! (it's 140k here :shepface: )

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Ooh hey something Toronto's not the worst at! (it's 140k here :shepface: )

Don't worry, you guys still have the leafs :v:

ltugo
Aug 10, 2004

If there was a grading scale for torture I would give sleep deprivation and waterboarding a C-.
We are standing up a small test and development environment and the building owners are charging us $100 per year per RU for power and cooling in their server room. That sounds excessive to me, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Anyone have any advice?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

ltugo posted:

We are standing up a small test and development environment and the building owners are charging us $100 per year per RU for power and cooling in their server room. That sounds excessive to me, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Anyone have any advice?

Sounds reasonable to me? Datacenters can see electricity and facility bills in the tens of thousands per month just for cooling. I don't think it's absurd to pay $1000 a year for 5 2U servers if they're covering electricity and cooling, and in fact that sounds like a pretty good deal.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Office365, more like Office360ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ltugo posted:

That's pretty reasonable if not low. You want to poo poo a brick? Get a quote from Equinix for co location space. We have a small cage there and it's over 250K a year.

CloFan posted:

Office365, more like Office360ish

Pretty accurate. I just had an end user whose calendar stopped syncing yesterday on their iPhone. Tried everything to fix it, nothing worked. About an hour ago it just started working again.

I just shrug and say "It's the cloud"

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 10, 2015