Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Annath posted:

So in the continuing saga of WTF, one of my coworkers is meeting with the Chief Nursing Executive about an incident wherein the offgoing day shift charge nurse laid hands on him (grabbed him by the wrist and tried to pull him) because he was using "her" computer to print out the shift assignment.

Of course, I saw it happen because I was waiting on the shift assignment. I thought he was letting the incident go because I hadn't heard anything about it, until last night he texted me that he was meeting with the CME today.

I'm not going to lie if they ask me, but I really hope I'm not needed to corroborate things. Its more drama than I want to deal with.

I'd kill a (wo)man for trying to use MY computer. Seriously though what a bunch of morons.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

B-Mac posted:

I'd kill a (wo)man for trying to use MY computer. Seriously though what a much of morons.

The particular charge nurse who grabbed him has been a real source of frustration on the unit since her "promotion" to a Shift Resource position. Lots of people don't like her, and she doesn't help matters by being super pretentious. She signs all her progress notes under Critical Care Medicine instead of Nursing for example, and if someone asks her to help them out/do them a favor when she doesn't want to, she apparently has the policy manual memorized because she can whip out some official reason why she can't grab a set of vitals or call a doc for them.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Annath posted:

You know, I kinda wondered if replies here were gonna be negative.

Even if the urgency is because they just lost 6 staff, that doesn't mean the 6 people quit en masse.

It could be that the unit had a toxic culture, and administration purged asshat employees to help fix that. I know I'd much rather believe that. Not to mention this is Virginia, where firing an employee for any reason is as easy as saying "gently caress off and don't come back".

And in any case, they picked me not another schmuck for some reason or another, right?

Cacafuego posted:

Ha! I'm not trying to be negative, I'm saying it from experience. Learn from my mistakes, although if you want to just get your foot in the door and just live with the problems, it's up to you. It's good to be wrong sometimes though and I wish you good luck.

Annath posted:

It's not just you. I lurk in this thread a lot, and there's a LOT of "that's terrible", "that's a bad sign", etc...

Bon Secours is supposed to be a really good organization to work for (but if someone here has tales to the contrary, please say so), and Progressive Care is a good stepping stone to where I want to end up (The ICU).

E: also you didn't actually tell me what your mistake was or the result of it lol

Well, you got some experience, now get your rear end to somewhere that appreciates your enthusiasm. Also, now you get to be the jaded rear end in a top hat telling the new kids with stars in their eyes how the system really works.

e: my mistake was that I took the job and the result was that I got the hell out of there as fast as I could. I went to the competition, never showed back up again and still have my ID. I had to call 6 months later to tell HR that I was no longer working there when I couldn't close and rollover my 401k to the new place. I was still an active employee as far as they knew.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 13, 2015

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Annath posted:

the offgoing day shift charge nurse laid hands on him (grabbed him by the wrist and tried to pull him) because he was using "her" computer

Find a new job. When asked in the interview, be honest about your current workplace.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

end mill facade posted:

Find a new job. When asked in the interview, be honest about your current workplace.

This, however also be positive about it. Nothing turned me off worse than people who did nothing but bitch and moan about their previous work location. If you can essentially put a positive with a negative

*I felt that the staff tried to do the bare minimum which I disliked as I am one who prefers to go above and beyond expectations*

This lets me know why they're leaving, but also lets me know that they're not leaving because the old facility wants to push them out, or that they're just a complainer.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Yeah, I've got my friends from school checking their workplaces for openings. I'm done here. It's so frustrating.

I really hoped that the fact that I was coming in as part of a big group along with new unit management that it'd be a case of sweeping out bad blood (or some appropriate metaphor).

Instead it's been chronic understaffing, assholes in positions of petty authority, and cutting corners in new grad education.

Speaking of, when I am looking for new jobs, should I bring up the lovely ACLS education? I'll have my certification, but I genuinely don't feel like I know the material yet.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Shock fools. Pump chest. Push epi. You're golden.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Annath posted:

Speaking of, when I am looking for new jobs, should I bring up the lovely ACLS education? I'll have my certification, but I genuinely don't feel like I know the material yet.
You probably won't feel comfortable with it until you do it. Its loving simple for a reason, but you need to do it (and not just the compressions because that lets you just shut off your brain).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ravenfood posted:

You probably won't feel comfortable with it until you do it. Its loving simple for a reason, but you need to do it (and not just the compressions because that lets you just shut off your brain).

I guess what I mean is, should I explain that I only got trained via the online modules.

Personally I think I'd benefit a lot from the actual ACLS class, but I don't want a potential employer to turn me down because the training is expensive.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Annath posted:

I guess what I mean is, should I explain that I only got trained via the online modules.

Personally I think I'd benefit a lot from the actual ACLS class, but I don't want a potential employer to turn me down because the training is expensive.

Personally, I think you'll benefit a lot from actual code participation.

No one is going to be surprised that a new grad has the educational gaps you've described. Be honest about it, if asked. Otherwise try not to spend interview time dwelling on minor details that don't reflect positively on you.

ACLS class cost is negligible compared to the money wasted by a new hire who departs after 8 -12 weeks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Annath posted:

I wouldn't mention it in the interview, especially if you're moving from PCU to med-surg floors. And again, even a class won't help that much. You need to get in there and be in one or two.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
So this is the notice of deficiencies that the school that screwed a bunch of students (me included) out of admissions this past summer recently received. Every week I hear something about them that makes me so glad they did that and I'm not attending their program. Holy crap it sounds like a nightmare. I've heard of students having to go back to do additional clinical hours after their program is over because they didn't provide enough.

https://www.azbn.gov/media/2070/nod-2015-gcu-final-mailed-040815.pdf

#7 is my favorite. This school arena tour and a talk with first responders is TOTALLY equivalent to a clinical session in a critical care setting!

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
A week ago I registered for junior college to knock out the prerequisites I need to get done to go back to nursing school. It'll be a year of prereqs before I can actually do my real applications, as all of my nursing and science classes I did when I was initially in school, 10+ years ago, or from my liberal arts bachelor's, are no longer acceptable (they are no good after 5 years, and understandably so, in some respects). Leaving my full time job to go back to school, and the uncertainty inherent in the whole process at the age of 33 has me saddled with some pretty heavy anxiety.

On the upside, I have 3 separate programs I'm going to apply for, so hopefully that'll hedge my bets some. Going to apply for a MENP program and a BSN program at the University of Illinois at Chicago (the BSN program, however, has a very low acceptance rate of ~10% from what I've been reading). As a backup, I'll also be applying for the City College program, and accepting that I may have to work in a lower tier hospital for a few years while I do a night school BSN to work in a top shelf ICU/PACU/SICU (which is my endgoal). At least if I end up going to the City Colleges of Chicago, they are opening a new healthcare specialized school next year for all their health associates programs.

Aside from keeping my grades up in my prerequisites (to try to drag up my lackluster initial bachelor's degree GPA), any other tips for constructing boss rear end nursing school application packages? At least I know I have the recommendation letters down. I've been writing recommendation letters for other people for the past 6 years.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 16, 2015

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Marathanes posted:

A week ago I registered for junior college to knock out the prerequisites I need to get done to go back to nursing school. It'll be a year of prereqs before I can actually do my real applications, as all of my nursing and science classes I did when I was initially in school, 10+ years ago, or from my liberal arts bachelor's, are no longer acceptable (they are no good after 5 years, and understandably so, in some respects). Leaving my full time job to go back to school, and the uncertainty inherent in the whole process at the age of 33 has me saddled with some pretty heavy anxiety.

On the upside, I have 3 separate programs I'm going to apply for, so hopefully that'll hedge my bets some. Going to apply for a MENP program and a BSN program at the University of Illinois at Chicago (the BSN program, however, has a very low acceptance rate of ~10% from what I've been reading). As a backup, I'll also be applying for the City College program, and accepting that I may have to work in a lower tier hospital for a few years while I do a night school BSN to work in a top shelf ICU/PACU/SICU (which is my endgoal). At least if I end up going to the City Colleges of Chicago, they are opening a new healthcare specialized school next year for all their health associates programs.

Aside from keeping my grades up in my prerequisites (to try to drag up my lackluster initial bachelor's degree GPA), any other tips for constructing boss rear end nursing school application packages? At least I know I have the recommendation letters down. I've been writing recommendation letters for other people for the past 6 years.

You could try to volunteer or work somewhere in the healthcare field as a CNA, PCT or EMT, or volunteer/shadow at a hospital.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

White Chocolate posted:

You could try to volunteer or work somewhere in the healthcare field as a CNA, PCT or EMT, or volunteer/shadow at a hospital.

The CNA cert is part of my prereqs, so I am certainly going to try to leverage that once I get it done to get some experience and start making connections / networking in the city. Means probably taking a pay cut in the short term, but given how much I hate my current job, that's fine by me.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Marathanes posted:

The CNA cert is part of my prereqs, so I am certainly going to try to leverage that once I get it done to get some experience and start making connections / networking in the city. Means probably taking a pay cut in the short term, but given how much I hate my current job, that's fine by me.

You should shoot to get a per diem job once every other weekend while you are in nursing school- hopefully on a floor you are interested in. You won't want to work full time when you are in school, but if you can see what it is like and you may key into something that you become passionate about.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

White Chocolate posted:

...you may key into something that you become passionate about.

Wiping buttholes for OT cash.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
My favorite part of this pediatric rotation has been parents that handle the rear end wiping for me.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
So the hospital my nursing school is affiliated with has a bunch of openings for PCTs. How do I get them to notice me? I've listed my current job/experience and veteran status and I can't seem to get any inroads. One of my co-workers is also a student and he works EMS for the hospital and even he can't help me. What can I do to stand out?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Do you do clinicals there? If so talk to the unit managers and see if they need extra help on whatever days you're available. Or ask your instructor if they know anyone.

apathetic JAP
Dec 28, 2011

it tastes like pink.

Fun Times! posted:

Do you do clinicals there? If so talk to the unit managers and see if they need extra help on whatever days you're available. Or ask your instructor if they know anyone.

This. I just got a job as a PCT by talking to my instructor and the nurse manager on my clinical floor. When I applied, I emailed the nurse manager and let her know I had done so, and she had HR pull my app that day. Networking is everything.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Talk to HR/unit managers directly.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
I actually haven't done clinicals with this school yet I just transferred in, but we will be doing Ob/Peds and I am a dude. It isn't that I don't want to work in OB- I do but that whole dude thing may give them pause. I had my medic brother call around to see if he knew anyone and I may be getting an interview call soon.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Ninety nine out of a hundred aren't going to give a poo poo.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

The one who does care is probably a bitch anyway.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Dumb question. How bad do you guys think it is to cry in front of your coworkers/bosses, for reasons mainly having to do with anxiety and being too thin-skinned and being well aware of these issues but being unable to stop their onslaught from manifesting in the most humiliating, unstoppable of ways? I know I didn't do anything wrong, no one is saying I did anything wrong, everyone is saying I'm a good nurse, but essentially I got yelled at by a doctor for a stupid reason and I know this kind of thing happens all the time and I just couldn't stop crying. It wasn't even a terrible situation by any stretch but I just couldn't keep my face together and now I feel humiliated and like everyone must think I can't handle the job.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Lots of people can't handle aggressive confrontation, especially getting yelled at. Lots of people go through rough childhoods, or are in the middle of domestic issues, and getting yelled at can bring up really bad memories. Don't beat yourself up over it. If your coworkers are good they'll have your back.

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

boquiabierta posted:

Dumb question. How bad do you guys think it is to cry in front of your coworkers/bosses, for reasons mainly having to do with anxiety and being too thin-skinned and being well aware of these issues but being unable to stop their onslaught from manifesting in the most humiliating, unstoppable of ways? I know I didn't do anything wrong, no one is saying I did anything wrong, everyone is saying I'm a good nurse, but essentially I got yelled at by a doctor for a stupid reason and I know this kind of thing happens all the time and I just couldn't stop crying. It wasn't even a terrible situation by any stretch but I just couldn't keep my face together and now I feel humiliated and like everyone must think I can't handle the job.

What was the stupid reason that caused the doc to yell at you? Assuming a hospital setting, remember that the doctors are not your bosses (and many of them don't even work for the hospital) and it is perfectly acceptable to call them out for being asshats.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

if a doctor openly yelled at you in front of patients/people/co-workers then bring it up to the boss as well, especially if it was something absurd rather than "hey you did this wrong i didn't appreciate it." ordeal. It sounds like it was more than that from how you put it. It's always good to council away from the public/other employees but straight up yelling or raising of the voice/anger towards a nurse isn't really acceptable.

Bring it up to your chain of command. I had a nephrologist who was atrocious to our nurses and I flat out told him I wasn't going to take his poo poo and let him berate or verbally abuse the nurses and he'd have to deal with me if I heard anything of it. He was still a dick and would just hang up the phone on nurses but he stopped yelling at them and insulting them. Plus whenever I was on the floor he seemed to not want to deal with any nurses, did his poo poo and left, which really eased up the tension on the floor.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Write it up. Document and submit.

I got a renowned rear end in a top hat to cut his poo poo by documenting unprofessional behavior. Your hospital likely has professional conduct standards and I bet one specifically pertains to physicians. Leverage that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
http://www.mightynurse.com/the-dirty-secret-that-is-ruining-nursing-stories/

http://ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/publish/news/newsroom/6223

Thoughts?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Old news?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Etrips posted:

Old news?

I only saw it recently :saddowns:

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Thanks y'all. I feel like from your reactions I overblew the story a little -- it's resolved; the dr actually apologized to me later, which I know is an exceedingly rare thing indeed. The bosses know what happened and were concerned and interested to know how I was treated and to ensure the situation was resolved. So I don't think there's anything to actually do; I was just really, really embarrassed to have cried in front of coworkers including my bosses when they brought it up with me the next day. I guess I have to get over it and work on developing my thicker skin in the future.

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

boquiabierta posted:

the dr actually apologized to me later, which I know is an exceedingly rare thing indeed
This is not rare; human beings do it all the time.

A year ago I was circulating a cardiac case. Sternum is open, PA is harvesting the leg vein (using an endoscopic device to remove the Greater Saphenous Vein), fellow is taking down the IMA (squatting on a stool, unroofing the Left Internal Mammary Artery from the anterior chest). The surgeon had stopped by for timeout and brief, then departed, saying "call me when you're looking at the heart" (when the pericardium is open).

Things are humming along when Dr. Licknob silently enters, scans the room, and approaches the fellow from behind. He grabs the headlight and starts unscrewing it to remove it. The fellow whips around to shout something obscene, sees who he's about to yell at, and utters "Um, can I help you?"

Dr. Licknob says "This is my headlight. I'm taking it." Fellow says "I don't think this is yours. I got it from over there." Dr. Licknob says "This is my headlight. I know what mine looks like and I'm taking it." and reached for the light again. I said "You're headlight says LOANER on it?" and everyone in the room focused on the headlight itself, where 1 inch letters were painted on the band. Dr. Licknob jerks his head as he looks at it, turns and glares at me for 5 seconds before storming out of the room.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Anyone have experience with liability insurance. I am required to have it for my RN-BSN program during the nursing courses and know jack poo poo about any of it. Found one at NSO.com for $109 for a year.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just buy whatever is cheapest and don't accidentally give a patient coffee through their central line and you should be good to go!

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Or trach inflation balloon pilot line. Or Foley inflation line. Or EVD. Or art line.

But the rectal tube is fine I hear coffee enemas are all the rage.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Keeping coffee out of a PA line was rule numero uno under my unit's P/P section

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

On the flip side, if it's 0200 and you don't want to wake the on call doc for an order for enzymes to unclog a PEG, coffee works pretty good in a pinch.