Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
All my dudes are wearing space suits and everyone has a gun, I keep forgetting that I'm not playing mass effect sometimes. Like 80% of any battle is shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
So glad the money quests that were dlc in Japan made it in. Now I can actually afford to put everyone in a level 50 skell.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1MO023vN8o

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thank you Elma for actually noticing that it is kinda weird that we can all understand and converse perfectly fine with alien races we are meeting for the first time or simply listening to. I should really work harder on progressing the story rather than just loving around, but this is such a good gently caress around game.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
You know... we've been told that getting perfect on the skell eject challenge gets it replaced for free... I say that's bullshit. I've done it twice now, and both times my insurance punch card was dinged or I had to pay the salvage fee as I had no insurance left. Getting REAL drat tired of salvaging this level 30 formula frame, maybe I shoulda bought a heavy for myself like I did my running mates.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I want time travel DLC with Doc B. He even made our sweet ride look like a retro future deloreian. I ALREADY MISS HIM. WHAT WAS I THINKING FINISHING THIS QUEST? :(

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

You know... we've been told that getting perfect on the skell eject challenge gets it replaced for free... I say that's bullshit. I've done it twice now, and both times my insurance punch card was dinged or I had to pay the salvage fee as I had no insurance left. Getting REAL drat tired of salvaging this level 30 formula frame, maybe I shoulda bought a heavy for myself like I did my running mates.

The free one isn't particularly good at eating damage. The most expensive heavy one is pretty good and holds about 25k fuel, too.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Not sure if I love or despise Tatsu, but I do appreciate that he doesn't stop dancing for nothing.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I think I've underestimated how useful destroying appendages is. I know about getting more drops, but I forgot about them removing certain attacks. I should probably pay closer attention to how enemies attack to choose what part to attack first.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

MohShuvuu posted:

The free one isn't particularly good at eating damage. The most expensive heavy one is pretty good and holds about 25k fuel, too.

Oh yeah, the free one got benched fairly quickly, since anything that comes up shortly afterwards would rather you had a proper 30. I think I'm also coming to the realization that I may actually be Bad At The Game since I'm just kinda spinning my wheels at lvl 41 just after chapter 10. I don't know why I haven't been seeing the quests to unlock the other AMs I've been hearing about, unless those are still beyond where I am now.

Also my probe game is pretty bad, too, barely put any minings down, but then again I already make more miranium per tick than my strangely drip gated capacity will allow.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
Buy the G-Buster for the R. Back and the other greatsword for your right shoulder and put it on your main character's skell. Now you can two-shot most regular things up to level 50. If you want to power level, I used the area on the far east side of Oblivia from 30 to 45, then the center of Cauldros from 45 to 60. Took me roughly 2 hours.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Apparently all the Tatsu=Food jokes were originally going to be jokes and puns about crucifixions.

That would have been a nice callback to Chu-chu.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh yeah, the free one got benched fairly quickly, since anything that comes up shortly afterwards would rather you had a proper 30. I think I'm also coming to the realization that I may actually be Bad At The Game since I'm just kinda spinning my wheels at lvl 41 just after chapter 10. I don't know why I haven't been seeing the quests to unlock the other AMs I've been hearing about, unless those are still beyond where I am now.

Also my probe game is pretty bad, too, barely put any minings down, but then again I already make more miranium per tick than my strangely drip gated capacity will allow.

I got most of the AMs unlocked in Chapter 5, so yeah, you're kinda loving something up. Make sure to do your affinity quests, they tend to unlock all sorts of things!

I finally got my Skell and wow the vehicle mode on the two models I tried seems to control terribly. Too bad those were the two models I like the most, Lailah and Urban. The default Formula they give you seemed fine so it's really just those I guess. Also beam scythe OP, so goddamn OP. I'm going to replace my giant back laser sword because honestly it just feels sad next to the beam scythe. Gonna get some different stuff slotted in there instead.

I wasn't expecting Armored Core or anything but I'm mildly disappointed in the weapon variety for Skells, at least in the shop. I know there's stuff that doesn't show in it and can only be attained through drops or something (since I have some), but still.

On ground combat, I'm finding that the feature I wish for the most is fashion weapon slots. There are so many cool looking future weapons but their default store-bought skillset is so terrible sometimes, and the minmaxer in me refuses to use the inferior weapon even if it looks loving cool. At least with crappy armor sets you can just set it as fashion.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So for Lin's affection quest that requires stuff from FrontierNAV, is there a faster way to get these things? I still need 2 more and i don't think it's guaranteed that i get the materials i need from it anyway.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So for Lin's affection quest that requires stuff from FrontierNAV, is there a faster way to get these things? I still need 2 more and i don't think it's guaranteed that i get the materials i need from it anyway.

Setting more probes is the only way to speed it up I can think of. Or, if you haven't saved since starting it, just go back and say you're too hungry to keep going and the quest just ends there with no penalty, skipping the rough part.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

i'm far past that point unfortunatly :sigh: is there a way to possibly abandon it and start it again from the beginning part then?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

i'm far past that point unfortunatly :sigh: is there a way to possibly abandon it and start it again from the beginning part then?

There is not. That quest seems like quite a newbie trap, though I didn't fall for it due to having done a billion side things before considering doing affinity stuff. That part of the quest actually just autocompleted for me since I had everything already. I realize this doesn't help you, but at this point, nothing can. Go explore and set some more probes and try to find more white whatever points, I guess.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah, have actually been rocking the G-Buster and BB-Sword already, they've certainly seen a lot of use. Got really no idea what else to put on it though, besides the random smattering of level 30 weapons that I thought looked good to use. Would probably help if I filled out more slots on the rest of my team besides whatever default stuff their frames came with.

Infinity Gaia posted:

I got most of the AMs unlocked in Chapter 5, so yeah, you're kinda loving something up. Make sure to do your affinity quests, they tend to unlock all sorts of things!

I'm talking about the 4 additional AMs after the 4 provided by the story. I have one of them so far but absolutely no sign of the required missions for the other 3.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, have actually been rocking the G-Buster and BB-Sword already, they've certainly seen a lot of use. Got really no idea what else to put on it though, besides the random smattering of level 30 weapons that I thought looked good to use. Would probably help if I filled out more slots on the rest of my team besides whatever default stuff their frames came with.

I'm talking about the 4 additional AMs after the 4 provided by the story. I have one of them so far but absolutely no sign of the required missions for the other 3.

Yes, I had three out of four of those by Chapter 5 (maybe 6 for one of them, can't quite remember if I only go the quest after or if I just delayed doing it for no reason). Do your affinity missions. I know one of the quests that unlocks a new AM is given out by the chick in front of BLADE Tower. Dunno what requirements it has. Another one I just got from someone for some reason.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yes, I had three out of four of those by Chapter 5 (maybe 6 for one of them, can't quite remember if I only go the quest after or if I just delayed doing it for no reason). Do your affinity missions. I know one of the quests that unlocks a new AM is given out by the chick in front of BLADE Tower. Dunno what requirements it has. Another one I just got from someone for some reason.

Think I might have the tower one you speak of already, but apparently I never got around to doing Ties That Bind and it already sounds like that may lead to one of them. Hopefully the other will follow afterwards.

E: Yep, that was exactly the thing keeping those two back it seems.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 10, 2015

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Huh, I had never actually gone into the enemy encyclopedia before, but it has one thing I find very interesting: Global (well, seems like its separate from the Japanese version so Global-ish) death tracking for monsters. For instance, a total of 3 people have killed that loving lake giant mech. Total. Also it has killed like 20 thousand players.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I've only been playing on and off since release due to being super busy but i'm having trouble with the boss of chapter 4. My whole team just seems sort of weak even though i'm maybe one level below the boss, and I can't find any side quests to do so i've just been aimlessly roaming around the first two zones killing dudes.

I really enjoy the game but I have no idea what i'm doing.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Where can I find another samurai sword besides the one that comes on one of the playable characters? I want to relive my Xenogears days of Citan slicing down giant robots with hanzo steel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Ephraim posted:

Where can I find another samurai sword besides the one that comes on one of the playable characters? I want to relive my Xenogears days of Citan slicing down giant robots with hanzo steel.

There's a few in the normal dual-sword set models.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Okay are there any quick tips on combat so far.

Should I be prioritizing secondary cooldowns or soul voices when they appear? Are the dodge moves completely necessary?

I suck at combat but I suppose I really hate having to manage the arts and skills of each an every character besides myself. There isn't like a quick auto-level option for allies skills and arts?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

*Slow zoom in on a barely textured block*

Mmm good eats

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Thievery posted:

I've only been playing on and off since release due to being super busy but i'm having trouble with the boss of chapter 4. My whole team just seems sort of weak even though i'm maybe one level below the boss, and I can't find any side quests to do so i've just been aimlessly roaming around the first two zones killing dudes.

How can you not find side quests to do? That's one thing that's never in short supply. Just look at the big quest board in town.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Thievery posted:

die three times and then lower the difficulty you will not be penalized

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

*Slow zoom in on a barely textured block*

Mmm good eats

Some drat fine fried chicken

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Golden Goat posted:

Okay are there any quick tips on combat so far.

Should I be prioritizing secondary cooldowns or soul voices when they appear? Are the dodge moves completely necessary?

I suck at combat but I suppose I really hate having to manage the arts and skills of each an every character besides myself. There isn't like a quick auto-level option for allies skills and arts?
The answer is, it depends on your class and your party make up because of soul voice settings more than individual classes. In general, it benefits you to be somewhat proactive at the start of fights in one way or another to trigger your own soul voices to get morale up. That's not necesarily spamming arts, but go ahead and take a look at the soul voice page and how the triggers might work with any of your arts.

Damage based classes have somewhat obvious moneyshots in combining multipliers, so you can end up with some obscene attack from combining something like a buff, attack on secondary cooldown, with the correct previous art combo, answering a soul voice, with a staggered or downed (or a more specific debuff) enemy. But every hit can't always be that winner and not every class focuses on that so you might also consider stuff that auto-refreshes after use on a secondary cooldown which lets you use it as a bread and butter sort of skill while keeping something in your pocket for soil voices,. You can generally make your own destiny with buffs and combos when their secondary cool downs are up and timing windows for things like combos are lax enough to let you fish a little for other characters soul voices.

Setting everybody's arts and skills up loving sucks, but on the bright side it lets you get familiar with other classes and you can start thinking about how you expect debuff synergy to work.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i feel like i'm a million miles behind everyone else, but...

how exactly is exploration level calculated? what do the icons on lit up squares mean? i assume a check mark or a golden icon on the tile means i've completed the relevant quests in those hexes....

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Exploration level is based on probes and gold shields filling in (maybe also finding special and scenic areas, I forget). You get gold shields for completing that hex's special content, which is signified by the icon. Monster head means a specific tyrant, 2 stars means a specific usually hidden treasure chest, a page means a quest (and it often means the quest goes there, not necessarily starts there, and quests are gated by all sorts of things so they aren't a reliable source of exploration level), and hands shaking means an affinity quest goes there.

Check mark just means you have intel on that hex and can select it to see details about what the completion thing is.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

hubris.height posted:

i feel like i'm a million miles behind everyone else, but...

how exactly is exploration level calculated? what do the icons on lit up squares mean? i assume a check mark or a golden icon on the tile means i've completed the relevant quests in those hexes....

The Icons on squares kinda note what's in the area.
- The monster heads mean a Tyrant is in there,
- The diamond or sparkle ones mean there's a treasure,
- The note looking one means it's related to a mission (not sure if it means you can take a mission there or if a mission objective is there)
- Hand ones are affinity missions

I think that's all the Icons on the hex map.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm finding that I enjoy Affinity quests more than the main quest, though I'm still early in the game. Once I beat chapter 4, I spent an entire day working through any new quest available and just had a blast. I know I should probably beeline for Skells but I'm just having too much fun exploring and collecting poo poo.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away

The Taint Reaper posted:

If you want to destroy things in seconds go the Samurai gunner/Duelist route.

If you want to be a tank and just not die but also cause very little damage and have your party be buffed and do the killing go galactic knight.

What? Galactic knight has like no tanking whatsoever and I absolutely shred face with my melee combo? I feel like you played a completely different class.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I've gotten my Skell, finally.

Meet Sidheag (who will probably get renamed and a new coat of paint once I am able to get the Heavy Skell I want. Which is the best level 30 skell?)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Someone else's picture, How the gently caress do they have so many squad missions? I have two.

Also: what do the pink stars mean compared to the normal stars? That it's super duper hard?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've just finished chapter 7 and drat but I'm sick of the main plot party members. Elma standing around getting shilled by everyone while she tap dances around her mysteries has not been endearing, and Lin is worse Alexia. The optional squaddies are a charming bunch of jerks though.

Also I'm assuming .....Lao is totally selling us out, right?

Caidin fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 10, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haha holy poo poo Alex's mission (Concerned Citizen)

I started to invite xeno's to the lesson, after sending the first guy I stopped went "Wait this is probably a bad idea" and kept doing it as I had already started, got up to the cliff and saw him board a gear when I told him not to kill the aliens and he and his crew totally kicked my poo poo in. Probably didn't help I only had 3 party members at the time but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Someone else's picture, How the gently caress do they have so many squad missions? I have two.

Squad Missions are unlocked by your Squad clearing out the Squad Tasks.

• Locked thread