Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The real crime of the double down is that it tasted worse than the components on their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

There's literally nothing in mountain dew that's worse than what we normally put on wings. Buffalo Wild Wings signature sauce is 50 calories an oz. Teriyaki sauce is 32. Mountain dew is 14. Also, buffalo wings are relatively mild as far as greasy food goes, because of their small size and expense; a 10 count will set you back about 650 calories.

That's cool, but it kind of spits in the face of the core problem: people have lovely eating habits. Mountain Dew flavored wings only exacerbate the problem of lovely eating habits.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cole posted:

That's cool, but it kind of spits in the face of the core problem: people have lovely eating habits. Mountain Dew flavored wings only exacerbate the problem of lovely eating habits.

In what way do they do that?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

There's literally nothing in mountain dew that's worse than what we normally put on wings. Buffalo Wild Wings signature sauce is 50 calories an oz. Teriyaki sauce is 32. Mountain dew is 14. Also, buffalo wings are relatively mild as far as greasy food goes, because of their small size and expense; a 10 count will set you back about 650 calories.

Hey now, don't act all high and mighty- I've got the stats for all of those basic staples memorized, too!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

fishmech posted:

In what way do they do that?

Really? You don't think advertising plays a part in the obesity epidemic? Do you think they created Mountain Dew flavored wings to keep the status quo?

Nevermind, throwing hilariously dumb foods in the face of a country with an obesity epidemic isn't a problem. No, siree.

Cole fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 10, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

Really? You don't think advertising plays a part in the obesity epidemic? Do you think they created Mountain Dew flavored wings to keep the status quo?

Nevermind, throwing hilariously dumb foods in the face of a country with an obesity epidemic isn't a problem. No, siree.

They're not advertising for people to come on down to BWW and gnaw through 50 wings, they're advertising for people to spend money on the new flavor of wings.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

They're not advertising for people to come on down to BWW and gnaw through 50 wings, they're advertising for people to spend money on the new flavor of wings.

You're right. Advertisements throwing horrible foods into the face of a country with an obesity epidemi... wait, I already said this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cole posted:

The mountain dew flavor wings are no less healthy then already existing wings.

Yes, it isn't a problem. I mean, you realize that barbecue sauce isn't like zero calorie right?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

fishmech posted:

The mountain dew flavor wings are no less healthy then already existing wings.

Yes, it isn't a problem. I mean, you realize that barbecue sauce isn't like zero calorie right?

You're right, advertising dumb foods..

goddamn, it's like a broken record.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

You're right. Advertisements throwing horrible foods into the face of a country with an obesity epidemi... wait, I already said this.

They aren't any more horrible than chicken wings generally, and are probably better than regular buffalo sauce. So it's not a huge concern. The major concern would be advertising that encourages people to overeat, but that's fallen somewhat out of favor because of the bad reputation of the fast food industry.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cole posted:

You're right, advertising dumb foods..

goddamn, it's like a broken record.

This food is no less dumb then regular wings, which have been advertised for over half a century.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Effectronica posted:

They aren't any more horrible than chicken wings generally, and are probably better than regular buffalo sauce. So it's not a huge concern. The major concern would be advertising that encourages people to overeat, but that's fallen somewhat out of favor because of the bad reputation of the fast food industry.

Fried chicken wings are good for you either hth

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

fishmech posted:

This food is no less dumb then regular wings, which have been advertised for over half a century.

you're right! let's just give up then! that's the spirit, tiger.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cole posted:

Fried chicken wings are good for you either hth

Cole posted:

Chicken wings are perfectly fine to eat. You can't live off of them, you shouldn't overeat them, but there's nothing wrong with eating them as long as you're getting all your vitamins and the recommended proportions of carbs, fat, and protein.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cole posted:

There is nothing wrong with the food in question, other than it'll probably taste bad, so I don't see why it gets you so upset?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Discendo Vox posted:

Hey now, don't act all high and mighty- I've got the stats for all of those basic staples memorized, too!

Who has time to memorize that poo poo? I looked them up. But it's self evident with any amount of critical thought; which sounds healthier, drinking a 20oz bottle of mountain dew, or a 20oz bottle of bbq sauce?

Glug glug.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

a 20oz bottle of mountain dew, or, a 20oz bottle of bbq sauce?

You've given me a wonderful idea.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
I think the concern might be the ever escalating ridiculous flavors that make it less and less likely that a person is going to enjoy the simplicity of say, a carrot. That's an extreme example maybe, but now that my diet has been pretty clean for several years, I'm realizing that it's not that healthy foods taste bad or boring, it's the other stuff that's just way too intense.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Bast Relief posted:

I think the concern might be the ever escalating ridiculous flavors that make it less and less likely that a person is going to enjoy the simplicity of say, a carrot. That's an extreme example maybe, but now that my diet has been pretty clean for several years, I'm realizing that it's not that healthy foods taste bad or boring, it's the other stuff that's just way too intense.

What do you mean by "clean"? What do you mean by "simplicity"? What do you mean by "ridiculous"?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bast Relief posted:

I think this concern is utterly ridiculous. Especially because "ridiculous" flavors tend to be novelties and gimmicks that don't actually taste good. Like there's no way this Mountain Dew sauce wings is going to taste good enough that someone will prefer it.

Also "intense" flavor is such a wishy-washy nonspecific charge at that! I mean there's people out there who think table pepper on food is too spicy and intense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Discendo Vox posted:

What do you mean by "clean"? What do you mean by "simplicity"? What do you mean by "ridiculous"?

Take coffee as an example. It's delicious and amazing all on its own, but a lot of people dump a whole bunch of syrup and milk and other crap in it for some reason. My mom was one of those people (she only ever did milk and sugar, but those were 100% necessary). Then, she worked on cutting those things out one at a time. Now, she enjoys black coffee more than coffee with milk and/or sugar, and it's healthier. She became so used to those additives that the genuine article was no longer pleasant, and that's a real problem when you're talking about additives that are not good for you. Of course the dose makes the poison, but when you train yourself to only eat things that are high in sugar and/or fat, it's going to be much more difficult for you to meet your calorie goals.

Strong flavours aren't really the problem. I have an aversion to things that are supposed to be spicy, yet are not spicy enough (like salsa; gently caress mild salsa), but that's fine because spicy salsa is nutritionally nearly identical to mild salsa. If you train your palate to both crave and expect sugar and fat all the time, it's still possible to have a healthy diet, but it becomes a lot more difficult and it requires a lot more willpower.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

Take coffee as an example. It's delicious and amazing all on its own, but a lot of people dump a whole bunch of syrup and milk and other crap in it for some reason. My mom was one of those people (she only ever did milk and sugar, but those were 100% necessary). Then, she worked on cutting those things out one at a time. Now, she enjoys black coffee more than coffee with milk and/or sugar, and it's healthier. She became so used to those additives that the genuine article was no longer pleasant, and that's a real problem when you're talking about additives that are not good for you. Of course the dose makes the poison, but when you train yourself to only eat things that are high in sugar and/or fat, it's going to be much more difficult for you to meet your calorie goals.

Strong flavours aren't really the problem. I have an aversion to things that are supposed to be spicy, yet are not spicy enough (like salsa; gently caress mild salsa), but that's fine because spicy salsa is nutritionally nearly identical to mild salsa. If you train your palate to both crave and expect sugar and fat all the time, it's still possible to have a healthy diet, but it becomes a lot more difficult and it requires a lot more willpower.

Coffee tastes real bad to most people when served plain. That's why human cultures have been flavoring it in various ways for thousands of years. And it's a prime example of something that's an acquired taste.

Also humans have been "trained" to crave sugar and fat since before writing developed, they taste really good because they're relatively scarce in the wild hundreds of thousands of years ago.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 10, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fishmech posted:

Coffee tastes real bad to most people when served plain. That's why human cultures have been flavoring it in various ways for thousands of years. And it's a prime example of something that's an acquired taste.

Also humans have been "trained" to crave sugar and fat since before writing developed, they taste really good because they're relatively scarce in the wild hundreds of thousands of years ago.

Yes, people and animals crave fat and sugar naturally. However, it's possible, through diet, to tweak the degree to which one craves those things. I like sweet things, but if you gave me a cube of sugar to suck on, I'd think that was loving disgusting. Likewise with a glass of Coke. It's too sweet to my palate, because I don't eat a lot of sugar even though I like sweet things. It's a matter of balance and quantity. I love Sauternes wine, but I couldn't handle more than a single small glass of it at a time because it would simply be too sweet to stand. If you train your palate through constant exposure to things with a lot of sugar in them, your perception of what a reasonable amount of sugar is will be skewed, and it will be that much harder for you to meet your calorie intake goals. That doesn't mean the sugar is bad for you, necessarily.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Wow. I just try to choose igredients that are nutritionally dense for the calories. I used to not do this. I also was overweight and felt like crap. I eat pretty plain foods and mostly cook my meals. Just a sautéed brussle sprout has a tremendous amount of subtle flavors all by itself that keep me plenty entertained. Awhile ago I was at an event and they gave us free Doritos. I used to love those as a kid. Sure they were super tasty, but it was cloying and just over the top. I feel like if I went back to eating that kind of stuff regularly, I'd lose my appreciation for subtle flavors again.

But I guess earlier in the thread we were attacking the idea of such a thing as nutrition even existing and all that matters is calories so I don't even know anymore. I'll stick to my delicious lightly seasoned veggies and meats as that's what works for me. I didn't realize that made me some kind of flavor pussy.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Now folks are bragging about training themselves to "enjoy" under seasoned food and extremely bitter drinks? Do you voluntarily abstain from sex and spend hours meditating on cold concrete floors as well?

It's funny, you guys keep complaining about foods with too many ingredients. Are you upset over things like an authentic curry or mole? What about a stew? Is that too much for you guys as well?

Christ, I just love it when goons start bragging about how ascetic their lives are. "Oh, I don't own a tv. I don't even like sports. I don't drink alcohol. I eat beans and rice every day, sometimes with boiled chicken breast if I'm feeling naughty!"

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Solkanar512 posted:

Now folks are bragging about training themselves to "enjoy" under seasoned food and extremely bitter drinks? Do you voluntarily abstain from sex and spend hours meditating on cold concrete floors as well?

It's funny, you guys keep complaining about foods with too many ingredients. Are you upset over things like an authentic curry or mole? What about a stew? Is that too much for you guys as well?

Christ, I just love it when goons start bragging about how ascetic their lives are. "Oh, I don't own a tv. I don't even like sports. I don't drink alcohol. I eat beans and rice every day, sometimes with boiled chicken breast if I'm feeling naughty!"

You are the goon here. He's absolutely right that many people are used to really salty, fatty and sugary stuff, which makes their palates recognise these flavours less. It's not about asceticism and more about eating slowly and aware of the flavours of food.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Solkanar512 posted:

'I've been trying to avoid eating the taste equivalent of a disco ball constantly' ≠ 'I'm going to remove all earthly pleasures from my life and move to a Himalayan monastery'.

You goon.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

khwarezm posted:

'I've been trying to avoid eating the taste equivalent of a disco ball constantly' ≠ 'I'm going to remove all earthly pleasures from my life and move to a Himalayan monastery'.

You goon.

Sorry, I didn't realize something as scary as channa masala or coffee with a bit of milk and sugar is the taste equivalent of a disco ball.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Taking arguments and running with them to the fringes of the loving extreme, presenting them as the arguments of the opposition: a Goon mating behavior oft observed in the wild.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I only eat raw carrots and dry cereal, AMA.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

I only eat raw carrots and dry cereal, AMA.

Where do you tend to land on the bristol scale?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The idea that the horror of things tasting good is what's causing people to be fat is hilarious, and tends to betray a lack of understanding of just how little is needed to be added for things to be appealing even to the dreaded Guy Who Eats McDonald's A Lot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Who has time to memorize that poo poo? I looked them up. But it's self evident with any amount of critical thought; which sounds healthier, drinking a 20oz bottle of mountain dew, or a 20oz bottle of bbq sauce?

Glug glug.

20 Oz bottle of bottom shelf bourbon is the correct answer. Your heart can't kill you if your liver gets there first.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm not complaining about food with a lot of ingredients, or strong flavours though? I'm complaining especially about the high level of sugar in the American diet, which is completely unnecessary to create a good-tasting product. The fact that people find black coffee unpalatable is perfect evidence of the fact that too much sugar in the diet makes you have an infant's palate.

To answer your question, presumably whoever thinks black coffee is unpalatably bitter would find a curry or mole far, far too spicy, because their palate has been trained toward craving the immediate reward of sugar, fat and salt, with less regard for flavour.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

I'm not complaining about food with a lot of ingredients, or strong flavours though? I'm complaining especially about the high level of sugar in the American diet, which is completely unnecessary to create a good-tasting product. The fact that people find black coffee unpalatable is perfect evidence of the fact that too much sugar in the diet makes you have an infant's palate.

To answer your question, presumably whoever thinks black coffee is unpalatably bitter would find a curry or mole far, far too spicy, because their palate has been trained toward craving the immediate reward of sugar, fat and salt, with less regard for flavour.

No, black coffee has been found unpalatable by people since coffee was first made. Because it's strictly an acquired taste.

No, this is wrong entirely. We get it, YOU like black coffee. Tons of people, with wildly varying diets from all across the globe and history don't like it. It has nothing to do with how much sugar people eat on a regular basis.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If the only tastes that aren't acquired are desires for evolutionarily-advantageous food (high in calories or otherwise necessary, like fat, sugar and salt) then perhaps we need to figure out how to get people to acquire other tastes, since those things are now so readily accessible that people will eat themselves into massive health problems as a result, instead of giving into it and adding sugar to everything, exacerbating the problem.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fishmech posted:

No, black coffee has been found unpalatable by people since coffee was first made. Because it's strictly an acquired taste.

No, this is wrong entirely. We get it, YOU like black coffee. Tons of people, with wildly varying diets from all across the globe and history don't like it. It has nothing to do with how much sugar people eat on a regular basis.
People certainly normalize the flavor of sugar (or anything) in their diet and the use of sugar was and still is used to mask lovely, horrible, coffee. I'm sure goons who went off the soda here will testify as to how horrendously sweet a regular soda is after being off the stuff for a while. There's a natural tendency for your pallet to move away from sweet as you age as well which is why kids generally don't like coffee even with sugar.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

I don't like coffee and like curry, seems like your simplistic worldview is a house of cards.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Effectronica posted:

I don't like coffee and like curry, seems like your simplistic worldview is a house of cards.
Everyone knows you're a child though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PT6A posted:

If the only tastes that aren't acquired are desires for evolutionarily-advantageous food (high in calories or otherwise necessary, like fat, sugar and salt) then perhaps we need to figure out how to get people to acquire other tastes, since those things are now so readily accessible that people will eat themselves into massive health problems as a result, instead of giving into it and adding sugar to everything, exacerbating the problem.

I'm not seeing what's supposed to be beneficial about liking black coffee towards a goal of weight loss, personally. Also, again, Americans have been using less and less sugar ever since 1998/1999 to begin with. Monomaniacally focusing on sugar as the cause of all life's problems doesn't seem to pan out!

Mr. Wookums posted:

People certainly normalize the flavor of sugar (or anything) in their diet and the use of sugar was and still is used to mask lovely, horrible, coffee. I'm sure goons who went off the soda here will testify as to how horrendously sweet a regular soda is after being off the stuff for a while. There's a natural tendency for your palate to move away from sweet as you age as well which is why kids generally don't like coffee even with sugar.

That is just people over-exaggerating, to be frank. There are plenty of people out there who only drink soda or even eat sweet things at all on rare occasions and they don't make a whole production of "oh god it's so sickeningly sweet help me" like goon drama queens do. There's also very little evidence that your tastes "naturally" move away from sweetness over time, rather than it just being traditional for people to eat that way.

• Locked thread