Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

zoux posted:

What's the famous one about the birth of the Comics Code?

10 cent plague?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zachack posted:

10 cent plague?

I googled "comics code history book" and that was one of the ones that came up. I just remember a book about it being recommended in BSS a few times but I can't recall the title.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
is Moon Knight Vol 3 worth buying?

I really liked the first volume and I thought the second one was fine enough so if it's equal to that in quality then I'll probably get it.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

is Moon Knight Vol 3 worth buying?

I really liked the first volume and I thought the second one was fine enough so if it's equal to that in quality then I'll probably get it.

Better than 2 in terms of story, worse than 1. Art is a little wonky in bits. Look to my avatar for examples

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Can I post recommendation requests for manga here or is that supposed to go in ADTRW?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Manga comes up here sometimes (see: One Punch Man), but not often. Over there is probably a better idea.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You should get One Punch Man.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

The rear end Stooge posted:

Can I post recommendation requests for manga here or is that supposed to go in ADTRW?

You can also check here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3568801
Not a lot of action in there lately but I'm sure people would give you some good recommendations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Endless Mike posted:

READ THE INCREDIBLE HERCULES. It's exactly what you're looking for.

I just got through all this, and this was a fantastic recommendation. This series owned so hard. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VaultAggie posted:

I just got through all this, and this was a fantastic recommendation. This series owned so hard. Thanks!

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

bobkatt013 posted:

How is the Sinestro series? What is the hook? Is his daughter a major part of it? Is Lemire's Frankenstein any good?

from the few issues ive read its basically Sinestro trying to repurpose the Sinestro Corps for a more benevolent mission since the Green Lanterns are no longer patrolling the spaceways (for reasons). Problem is, Sinestro is a unrepentant dick and has no depths he will sink to further his mission.

Its actually a pretty fun book and I wish DC would let Sinestro "win" even just for a little bit so the main conceit of the book doesn't seem pointless.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
How is Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Where should I start/go with Hellboy?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

It's great!

It's one of the few prestige DC comics that I've held onto over the years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mr E posted:

Where should I start/go with Hellboy?

Here:
http://www.amazon.com/Hellboy-Vol-1-Seed-Destruction/dp/1593070942/ref=sr_1_2

Or here:
http://www.amazon.com/Hellboy-Library-Seed-Destruction-Devil/dp/1593079109/ref=sr_1_4

Then just follow along with the numbers.

Related to Hellboy is the BPRD title.

The first two volumes of BPRD are standalone stories that occur in and around the third and fourth Hellboy TPBs. You can read those anytime before reading the fifth Hellboy trade (seems like that aligns with the third HC).

After Hellboy TPB vol. 05, BPRD splits off into its own thing with BPRD TPB vol. 03. Feel free to follow along with one or the other or both.

There's also a few other series following different characters, but it doesn't seem to matter much when you read those.

There's a pretty comprehensive list here:
http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Trade_Paperback_Collections

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 21, 2015

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Batman+Lovecraft+Mignola.

That's how good it is

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Seems like you get all of Irredeemable with the current Humble Boom Studios Bundle. Does it stand on its own or do you need to read any Incorruptable along with it? I'm not interested enough to go out of my way and get even more books.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Uthor posted:

Seems like you get all of Irredeemable with the current Humble Boom Studios Bundle. Does it stand on its own or do you need to read any Incorruptable along with it? I'm not interested enough to go out of my way and get even more books.

Stands on its own.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Incorruptible is a much better book, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's like one direct crossover and it's 2 issues, if I recall.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There is a crossover, but it is true that Incorruptible is the better book. Both are great though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Incorruptible is a much better book, though.

I honestly have little interest in either. I got the Bundle for other books. I figured I'd give it a shot as it's there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm kind of hoping Incorruptible gets added as the second week bonuses.

A-doy... that was today and it was the rest of Irredeemable and some more Legally-Not-Allowed-To-Be-Called-The-Avengers comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Part of the current DC sale are five huge Batman omnis. I loved the Breyfogle "Legends of the Dark Knight" collection I picked up on a lark, and was wondering which of these collections were good. I got the Len Wein one, obviously, but what about:
Archie Goodwin
Carmine Infantino
JH Williams
Gene Colan

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I can definitely recommend the JH Williams for the art, but a bunch of that is mid-Morrison-run or two random issues of Chase (maybe there's significance to those two. I can't remember, but he did the whole series.)
That's all great stuff, but it's a fraction of the story.

I got all the other collections and started chronologically with Carmine. Pretty simple stuff. Quite reminiscent of the TV show that followed it with a little harder edge, but it's fun.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 24, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I'd rather avoid mid-story rando issues.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Then you're kind poo poo out of luck with a lot of DC collections. For royalty reasons they tend to slap a bunch of stuff the same creator did in a random collection rather than collect straight runs, at least up until a few years ago, or if the run had a very consistent creative team.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Then you're kind poo poo out of luck with a lot of DC collections. For royalty reasons they tend to slap a bunch of stuff the same creator did in a random collection rather than collect straight runs, at least up until a few years ago, or if the run had a very consistent creative team.

It seems not to be as big an issue with the older ones, since they didn't have as many multi issue stories. At least that was my experience with the Breyfogle collection I have, but it's "Legends of" rather than "Tales of" so maybe it's different.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

It's almost like their terrible "SHIP ON TIME EVEN IF WE NEED 3 PENCILERS AND 10 INKERS TO FINISH THE ISSUE" policy bites them in the rear end on both ends.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Meanwhile Secret Wars still isn't finished. Never inderstood why the industry practice was to not solicit until an issue was done.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Because solicitations have to be published prior to when books have to be at the printers. Doing it otherwise would lead to even bigger lags on delayed books.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Anyone have any suggestions for a scifi series similar to Prophet, Manhattan Projects, or even Rick and Morty? I really like the strange/bizarre scifi world that feels like it was inspired by 80s-era Heavy Metal and a poo poo ton of acid. Recently I've been reading Black Science which is also pretty good. I've also read Saga, which is amazing.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bazanga posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for a scifi series similar to Prophet, Manhattan Projects, or even Rick and Morty? I really like the strange/bizarre scifi world that feels like it was inspired by 80s-era Heavy Metal and a poo poo ton of acid. Recently I've been reading Black Science which is also pretty good. I've also read Saga, which is amazing.

Red Rocket 7

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Bazanga posted:

Nameless

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

^^^Oh, yes, forgot to write that.^^^

Bazanga posted:

Nowhere Men felt like it was inspired by Hickman's writing. You may like that.

FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics?

Don't know if they quite fit, but Remender's Fear Agent is pretty pulpy and his new Tokyo Ghost has started out fun (and violent).

Check out Universe! at Panel Syndicate. There's only three issues so far, but they're pay what you wish, so it doesn't cost you anything to check them out. Hell, read everything on that site as it's great.

Have you read East of West? That's super metal, like a western version of Manhattan Projects.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Bazanga posted:

I really like the strange/bizarre scifi world that feels like it was inspired by 80s-era Heavy Metal and a poo poo ton of acid.
The other recommendations are all great sci-fi, but for this, you probably want to track down Black Mask Studios' limited series Space Riders. It's on Comixology if you're digital.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Bazanga, just read Judge Dredd.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

The other recommendations are all great sci-fi, but for this, you probably want to track down Black Mask Studios' limited series Space Riders. It's on Comixology if you're digital.

The previews of those comics remind me of Godland, which is a great book if you want a modern take on Kirby F4 comics with psychedelic art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
All awesome suggestions. I have a nice fat box coming from Amazon this week. All of them look right up my alley.