Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Defenestration posted:

Spin cycle in action: you know who banned Iranians during the hostage crisis? JIMMY CARTER! HAH, can't say Trump is like Hitler now, liebruls. Check and a mate.

Haha that's cool now they just have to have a moment and self-reflect on how somehow Carter wasn't the worst president in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Just heard Ted Cruz on NPR attacking the climate debates on France. Some highlights:

* starts out by saying the science said it would be global cooling before changing their minds for money.

* says there is no evidence and that satellites show it to be cooling. He is told that NASA doesn't see it that way, he says it doesn't matter.

* blames the scientists for calling them 'deniers' and that good science is always changing and not a religion. Note the first point.

* calls out liberal scientists for taking huge grants to make a political point, then avoids answering a question about conservative interests.

* when asked about doing it for a better cleaner world, says he is concerned by the 'single mom' and her energy bill, and avoids the fact that her prices would lower under renewable energy.

Steve Innskeep, the interviewer, audibly sighs a couple of times and was really working not to shout in his idiot face, and kept on him about questions he tried to dodge.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ted Cruz is smart enough to know what he's doing. He's such a poo poo heap that he's knowingly throwing away his children's future for whatever political points or money he's getting for that. At least it sounds like that interview was trying to call him on it instead of just saying that his beliefs are just as valid as something based on facts.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

Huh well that's a new one. "I fully admit that my gun is useless in preventing a mass shooting but at least I'll die better than you." Also I'm not sure how him having a gun under his shirt makes me safer if he's talking about how he'll piss his pants and get killed anyway.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh well that's a new one. "I fully admit that my gun is useless in preventing a mass shooting but at least I'll die better than you." Also I'm not sure how him having a gun under his shirt makes me safer if he's talking about how he'll piss his pants and get killed anyway.

It translates to "I'm scared of that black guy buying a loaf of bread."

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Twelve by Pies posted:

Getting shot while cowering in a puddle of your own urine: dying like a peasant.

Getting shot while cowering in a puddle of your own urine while holding a gun: noble samurai death.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I bet he has a trench coat and a katana and his gun is a desert eagle and when the robber is in his sights he will terminate the enemy and get the adoration of the females and become a hero and

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

I got myself and my family needlessly shot and killed but I'll be damned if I'm gonna let someone steal my wallet like some kind of punk bitch.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Dec 9, 2015

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I cannot find it but one of my "gun enthusiast" Facebook friends shared a picture of a bunch of different guns and it had the purpose for each type of gun.

It had to have been a liberal picture that he never actually read because it was making fun of gun owners' reasons for the guns. Sadly, one of the handguns said it was for when they decided to shoot themselves.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

This is like a work of art.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

J.A.B.C. posted:

Just heard Ted Cruz on NPR attacking the climate debates on France. Some highlights:

* starts out by saying the science said it would be global cooling before changing their minds for money.

* says there is no evidence and that satellites show it to be cooling. He is told that NASA doesn't see it that way, he says it doesn't matter.

* blames the scientists for calling them 'deniers' and that good science is always changing and not a religion. Note the first point.

* calls out liberal scientists for taking huge grants to make a political point, then avoids answering a question about conservative interests.

* when asked about doing it for a better cleaner world, says he is concerned by the 'single mom' and her energy bill, and avoids the fact that her prices would lower under renewable energy.

Steve Innskeep, the interviewer, audibly sighs a couple of times and was really working not to shout in his idiot face, and kept on him about questions he tried to dodge.

William Happer, who was invited by Ted Cruz to testify, is a paid shill. He got caught accepting money to write papers, and admitting to taking money previously.

edit: And he didn't care one bit that the money from was from a middle eastern oil company... As long as the money was laundered to hide that fact.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SSNeoman posted:

I bet he has a trench coat and a katana and his gun is a desert eagle and when the robber is in his sights he will terminate the enemy and get the adoration of the females and become a hero and

Nonsense. That's not the American way.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Soviet Commubot posted:

This is like a work of art.

Haven't seen the Glenn Beck "everyone is progressive unless they are me" ideology in a while. Guessing they're all in for Cruz?

The only true non-progressive must possess the essence and blessing of noted evangelical George Washington himself.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Doctor Butts posted:

Haha that's cool now they just have to have a moment and self-reflect on how somehow Carter wasn't the worst president in history.

So I did a little research. Here's the context: Sanctions Against Iran Remarks Announcing U.S. Actions

Here's the money quote:

quote:

Fourth, the Secretary of Treasury [State] and the Attorney General will invalidate all visas issued to Iranian citizens for future entry into the United States, effective today. We will not reissue visas, nor will we issue new visas, except for compelling and proven humanitarian reasons or where the national interest of our own country requires. This directive will be interpreted very strictly.

Now, if you're not an idiot, you'll notice that there's an exception to the ban: "compelling an proven humanitarian reasons." It seems to me that "being a war refugee" falls within that exception.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Defenestration posted:

Spin cycle in action: you know who banned Iranians during the hostage crisis? JIMMY CARTER! HAH, can't say Trump is like Hitler now, liebruls. Check and a mate.

I actually didn't know about this until today. That's a shame, I always liked Jimmy Carter, I can't believe he'd do something like that!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

quote:

"Whenever the President finds that the entry of any aliens or if any class of aliens into the United States would be detrimental to the interests, he may by proclamation, and for such period as he shall deem necessary, suspend the entry of all aliens or any class of aliens as immigrants or nonimmigrants, or impose on the entry of aliens any restrictions he may deem appropriate."
8 US Code 1182
Now I'm not saying whether or not we should or should not go along with Donald Trump's proposed idea of temporarily banning Muslim immigrants. What I am saying is that all the hate mongerers and the masses rising up against him spewing out that it's "Illegal! Unconstitutional! Can't do that!" That no. No it is not actually. It isn't illegal. And it has been done before. The President can do it.
That's all I'm saying. Is just check your facts before you decide you would rather hate-slander someone because of a headline you read.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Even if that colourful interpretation was valid and constitutional, Trump is still a oval office.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Slavery was legal and constitutional for a while, that doesn't make it good.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Aww Jesus Christ. Get ready for articles about zany government research.

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/the-us-government-wastes-millions-training-monkeys-to-work-out-studying-beer-koozies-7881691

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

While I'm sure there are projects out there that shouldn't be funded, most of these have a more in depth explanation that won't be covered in the book.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Money! For Volcanoes!?!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Spending hundreds of thousands of dollars studying the addictive properties of foods in a country where obesity and heart disease are the top cause of death?

Those crazy scientists are just flushing money down the toilet!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Those dumb scientists! All they do is drip things into other things and press buttons all day. Sounds like a waste to me.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Verisimilidude posted:

Those dumb scientists! All they do is drip things into other things and press buttons all day. Sounds like a waste to me.

It's all in how these poo poo heads phrase the research. If they said something about my research they'd probably say, "Rick_Hunter spent the last 2 years figuring out how to get mice to drink". What they'd probably overlook is that the point of the study was to get the mice to drink alcohol without being hungover and physiologically stressed all the time so we could figure out how alcoholism affects the immune system.

Here's a hint: A lot. But I'm sure to The Dandruff King it's a waste of time.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I sure as hell ain't a mouse you loving idiot scientist read a book!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

moist turtleneck posted:

I sure as hell ain't a mouse you loving idiot scientist read a book!the bible!

:catholic:

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Daily reminder that the biggest opponents to celebrating Christmas were Christian sects such as the Puritans:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Wait, they banned saying "Merry Christmas"?

Finally, the War on Christmas continues apace :getin:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I would contend that anyone who could classify putting a monkey in a giant hamster ball and getting it to run on a treadmill as wasteful clearly has no mirth or soul remaining.

Chimera-gui posted:

Daily reminder that the biggest opponents to celebrating Christmas were Christian sects such as the Puritans:

Just reply back with "this must really offend you. Do you need a safe space?"

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Chimera-gui posted:

It sounds like you're pretty upset and offended by what other people are saying. How about we set up a nice safe space for you to talk about this in a nurturing, positive environment so we can openly discuss this issue and get to the root of what is bothering you.

Kill them with kindness.

Anubis fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 10, 2015

TheJunkyardGod
Sep 19, 2004

Do not taunt the Octopus
The post was deleted but I was in a trump argument and one of the people arguing said "You say White Nationalist as if that's a bad thing"

:stare:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I actually didn't know about this until today. That's a shame, I always liked Jimmy Carter, I can't believe he'd do something like that!

Carter was a terrible politician and doing things that alienated his supporters yet left his opponents unmoved was one led his trademarks.

And also, there's a BIG difference between banning citizens of a country with which you have poor relations and banning 20% of the world's population because of their religion.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I emailed one of the scientists in Flake's hit piece, the one about spending a million bucks studying beer koozies.

Professor Durran wrote me back and included their media response as part of his reply, I thought you'd like it.

This attack is complete and utter nonsense.  The criticized study is a 2-page educational paper in the flagship publication of the American Institute of Physics, and is the only educational paper that we wrote.  The main research topics supported by the two grants involved in this brief educational endeavor are suggested by their titles “Effect of Latent Heating on the Hadley Circulation” and “Mesoscale Airflow over Mountains: Wave Drag and Orographic Precipitation.”  Under the support of these two grants, we published a total of 37 scientific papers, containing 463 pages of peer-reviewed weather and climate research. These studies have been very well received by the scientific community; all these other papers focus on cutting-edge science. 

We are extremely proud of “Condensation, Atmospheric Motion and Cold Beer”.  When teaching students about weather and climate in our classes, we have found that condensational heating is a difficult concept for students to grasp, yet it is fundamentally important as it powers thunderstorms, hurricanes and other severe weather.  Our study describes a previously unrecognized everyday example of condensation causing heating.  It  captured the attention of not just our students, but also the public at large.  Articles about our study appeared on NBCNews.com,  io9, Popular Science, MSN News, Business Insider, the Academic Minute and the International Business Times.  It motivated the production of a popular YouTube science video. Inside Science filmed a segment that was broadcast across the country.  Our study is now being used as an example in science classes at the high school and college level across the nation.  

The rush to judgement in the Wastebook report is truly disturbing.  If America is going to remain globally competitive, we need educated and scientifically literate citizens.  Our article is a creative contribution to the effort to enable the next generation of Americans to preserve the United States’ position as the world leader in science.

PS: As educators, we hope you have learned a few interesting things about latent heat in the course of your reporting.  To better understand how this might be linked to a lesson about weather in a classroom please watch some of this time-lapse video of a growing thunderstorm 

Storm Time-Lapse Project 5/12/2010 - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVIwDoogncQ

The rapidly rising cloudy towers in the thunderstorm ascend like hot air balloons because (latent) heat is released inside them as water vapor condenses into cloud droplets.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

TheJunkyardGod posted:

The post was deleted but I was in a trump argument and one of the people arguing said "You say White Nationalist as if that's a bad thing"

:stare:
This is going to be the darkest, most hilarious general ever. Trump has latched onto the racism that has semi-covertly driven the party for decades and just completely tossed out Atwater. Where we're headed there's no room for dogwhistles and subtlety, just tubas and minorities being lynched at Trump rallies.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

ZobarStyl posted:

This is going to be the darkest, most hilarious general ever. Trump has latched onto the racism that has semi-covertly driven the party for decades and just completely tossed out Atwater. Where we're headed there's no room for dogwhistles and subtlety, just tubas and minorities being lynched at Trump rallies.

Personally I hope Trump wins because for all his faults. As a polititian he is at least not boring. I'm saying that as someone living in Sweden mind you. I would never want him to be in charge of anything concerning me. But I wouldn't mind watching the spectacle from afar.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Zephyrine posted:

Personally I hope Trump wins because for all his faults. As a polititian he is at least not boring. I'm saying that as someone living in Sweden mind you. I would never want him to be in charge of anything concerning me. But I wouldn't mind watching the spectacle from afar.
Where it comes to the USA, define "afar."

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Armyman25 posted:

While I'm sure there are projects out there that shouldn't be funded, most of these have a more in depth explanation that won't be covhttps://imgur.com/gallery/xscCEdoered in the book.
Plus, they're complaining about wasteful projects sucking down tens of millions of dollars, in an annual budget of millions of millions of dollars. Almost makes me wish the NSF could take the Rothschild method for handling such complaints, with a standing offer to refund the complainant's share of the cost of any objectionable projects. Although, considering my contribution to the entire NSF budget and all their projects for 2015 was about $3,

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
So I touched the poop in a facebook argument, and now I'm watching a video on youtube about how Plano, Texas is the safest place on the planet because every child is given an AR-15 at birth and Glocks are used in place of soup spoons. My brain self-ejected itself from my head upon hearing the words "our moral superiors on the left" at one point. I have no problem letting this go (and probably should, for my own sanity), but if there's an easy counter to the "We actually have a much lower murder rate than all these other countries" thing, I'd gladly use it. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE

jackpot fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 10, 2015

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Where it comes to the USA, define "afar."
I guess he was thinking Scandinavia is outside the range of God Emperor Trump's ICBM's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

ZobarStyl posted:

I guess he was thinking Scandinavia is outside the range of God Emperor Trump's ICBM's.

Nuke subs are a thing.