Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm willing to bet that I could beat up broly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Chickenfrogman posted:

Cell was holding back pretty significantly until Gohan went SSJ2. Broly probably is around or a little stronger then Perfect Cell, but he's definitely not even close to SSJ2 Gohan, maybe Super Perfect Cell.

I doubt this since pre-cell games Goku beat Broly in SSJ1. Cell Games SSJ1 Goku could only fight Perfect Cell to a standstill and knew he would lose in the end.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Broly and cooler have the same weakness you just gotta punch harder you don't have to acend to a higher level of power you just have to punch harder than you were previously punching destroys all their defenses.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Chickenfrogman posted:

Cell was holding back pretty significantly until Gohan went SSJ2. Broly probably is around or a little stronger then Perfect Cell, but he's definitely not even close to SSJ2 Gohan, maybe Super Perfect Cell.

Uh, Super Perfect Cell was significantly stronger than that, certainly at the level of SSJ2 Gohan, possibly even stronger. He managed to bring Gohan down with a simple ki blast, which was meant for killing Vegeta who was a total non-threat at this point.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Broly is as strong as the plot needs him to be at the moment because his power is maximum.

The whole "everyone give me your Ki so I can punch him really hard" thing is just weird too. I mean it's kinda similar to the spirit bomb except a punch? Punch Bomb? But they already did that with Android 13 and it was cooler there.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah it's over 9000 rofl.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

HGH posted:

Broly is as strong as the plot needs him to be at the moment because his power is maximum.

The whole "everyone give me your Ki so I can punch him really hard" thing is just weird too. I mean it's kinda similar to the spirit bomb except a punch? Punch Bomb? But they already did that with Android 13 and it was cooler there.

here's my usual reminder that broly's creator is in a weird cult about sharing energy through touching and the entire climax of the first broly movie is basically thinly veiled propaganda for it

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Movie characters are more stupidly powerful than show characters (shooting kamehamehas that are like hundreds of times faster than light and go through and punch through the sun in a few seconds, fighting in IT, villains simply ignoring full power kamehamehas to the face), so it's kind of pointless to gauge movie characters to points in the show.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Darko posted:

Movie characters are more stupidly powerful than show characters (shooting kamehamehas that are like hundreds of times faster than light and go through and punch through the sun in a few seconds, fighting in IT, [b[]villains simply ignoring full power kamehamehas to the face[/b]), so it's kind of pointless to gauge movie characters to points in the show.

That was the coolest scene in Cooler 1 and you know it. :colbert:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Am I misremembering or didn't Frieza completely no-sell the Kaio-Ken x20 Kamehameha?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

projecthalaxy posted:

Am I misremembering or didn't Frieza completely no-sell the Kaio-Ken x20 Kamehameha?

He no-selled it hard.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is nothing Cool about Cooler, he is barely even an Er

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

projecthalaxy posted:

Weeeeelllll he kinda burned his hand blocking it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Exactly. So if Real Frieza gets to do a thing, why shouldn't Fake Frieza?

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

projecthalaxy posted:

Exactly. So if Real Frieza gets to do a thing, why shouldn't Fake Frieza?
Because Fake Freeza wasn't in the manga.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Covok posted:

He no-selled it hard.

no-sold

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Twiddy posted:

Because Fake Freeza wasn't in the manga.

Oh no, some dead tree garbage by a hack doesn't include the coolest characters and scenes, better stop caring about them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

Freeza put all of his power into blocking it and got singed and hurt from it. Similarly, Cell got completely screwed up by weaker Vegeta's "everything he's got" Big Bang Attack.

A lot of the movie villains can put no effort into defense and just walk through everyone's strongest attacks like paper.

It's a big part of the series that people have to be able to consciously block attacks, even from weaker characters, for the most part. That's the whole part of the Goku gets blasted by ring part of Revival F and what Whis was teaching him. The movies create villains so powerful that they even ignore that, and will ignore every single attack until the very end where someone eats a spirit bomb or absorbs weaker people's ki, or ghost Goku comes and helps. It gets to be kind of annoying because it makes the fights kind of pointless since they don't have the back and forth or stakes the actual manga has. If it happened once, it's fine, but it happened like 4 times and got old.

Darko fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 10, 2015

Caros
May 14, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

here's my usual reminder that broly's creator is in a weird cult about sharing energy through touching and the entire climax of the first broly movie is basically thinly veiled propaganda for it

I have learned something new about dragonball for the first time in ages. Good to know.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mmkay posted:

Uh, Super Perfect Cell was significantly stronger than that, certainly at the level of SSJ2 Gohan, possibly even stronger. He managed to bring Gohan down with a simple ki blast, which was meant for killing Vegeta who was a total non-threat at this point.

Darko's post touched on this better than I can - Gohan wasn't trying to block the attack, he was trying to jump on Vegeta, so Gohan got hosed up by it. Before that, Gohan seemed pretty confident that he could go evenly with Super Perfect Cell.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Honestly, a lot of the Internet questions about Goku being hurt by a ring or Gohan's arm being broken by Super Perfect Cell wouldn't even be questions if Toei didn't keep throwing in "this person is so powerful they don't even have to block" in all the movies and the filler (destructo disc on Cell being a prime example).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Darko posted:

Honestly, a lot of the Internet questions about Goku being hurt by a ring or Gohan's arm being broken by Super Perfect Cell wouldn't even be questions if Toei didn't keep throwing in "this person is so powerful they don't even have to block" in all the movies and the filler (destructo disc on Cell being a prime example).

Yeah, it's a disconnect between Manga and anime that really causes some confusions. Same thing with how other world is handled.

It does make an interesting question: if people must actively block, why didn't someone kill Frieza in his sleep?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

are you loving making GBS threads me

Covok
May 27, 2013

Source on this? Can't really find any proof of this.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Covok posted:

Yeah, it's a disconnect between Manga and anime that really causes some confusions. Same thing with how other world is handled.

It does make an interesting question: if people must actively block, why didn't someone kill Frieza in his sleep?

Just like Saiyan's default durability is way above humans in that they say "ow" when shot by machine guns, Freeza's is probably even higher to a degree that you need a ton of energy to breach it since he takes a lot more to kill and can survive being in pieces anyway. Random mooks probably can't even do it with their ultra weak blasts, and people like Ginyu are so loyal that they wouldn't bother.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

Darko's post touched on this better than I can - Gohan wasn't trying to block the attack, he was trying to jump on Vegeta, so Gohan got hosed up by it. Before that, Gohan seemed pretty confident that he could go evenly with Super Perfect Cell.

On the other hand Cell came back to the fight right away, so he was apparently pretty confident he could defeat Gohan as well. Additionally, once Gohan got blasted, he noted that Cell's power went up more than he thought.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 10, 2015

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

Did he work on BoG too?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Cell/Gohan question is pretty much answered in that a weakened Gohan still overpowered Cell's kamehameha once his dead dad convinced him to finally stop holding back. Gohan was holding back the entire time because he was scared of blowing up the planet himself, so that fight is really hard to gauge.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Darko posted:

The Cell/Gohan question is pretty much answered in that a weakened Gohan still overpowered Cell's kamehameha once his dead dad convinced him to finally stop holding back. Gohan was holding back the entire time because he was scared of blowing up the planet himself, so that fight is really hard to gauge.

Gohan put basically his whole energy, since he reverted back to base after the duel ended (earlier when Cell apparently died, he only reverted back to regular SSJ), straight at a distracted Cell (who was faring much better during the duel). And it's not like we didn't see stronger people being defeated by a weaker person's ki blast (like Raditz).

Now that I think about it during the 23rd Tenkaichi, Piccolo suffered similar wounds after getting hit by his own beam, so at least this points that Cell and Gohan are much closer to each other in strength than some people think.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 10, 2015

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Weeeeelllll he kinda burned his hand blocking it.

I really like this scene because both parties were horrified for completely opposite reasons, Goku was obviously freaked out his heroic second wind counterattack didn't harm Frieza at all but Frieza was nearly as appalled that he was in full tryhard mode and an attack still hurt him; it was a clever way of showing how hideously outmatched Goku was without making him an impotent chump, Vegeta style

Blockhouse posted:

lol

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The anime version really skews the relative power of Cell and Gohan in the latter's favour - after Gohan unleashes his energy, it takes like 5 episodes of him walking forward until Cell is killed, and there's the sideplot of the whole B-crew shooting at Cell's back, until Vegeta decides to turn SSJ and join as well. While in the manga, there's a quick shot of Vegeta shooting a useless ki blast at Cell's face (without turning SSJ), who turns attention, Gohan unleashes the Kamehameha and everything's over.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

mmkay posted:

Gohan put basically his whole energy, since he reverted back to base after the duel ended (earlier when Cell apparently died, he only reverted back to regular SSJ), straight at a distracted Cell (who was faring much better during the duel). And it's not like we didn't see stronger people being defeated by a weaker person's ki blast (like Raditz).

Now that I think about it during the 23rd Tenkaichi, Piccolo suffered similar wounds after getting hit by his own beam, so at least this points that Cell and Gohan are much closer to each other in strength than some people think.

The thing with Gohan was that it was a life or death struggle with the same blasts going against each other, and Cell's distraction was tiny.

You basically had 75% of Gohan holding back SPC's kamehameha and losing, his dead dad gave him a pep talk, and Vegeta did the equivalent of throwing a rock at Cell to give him a little bit of distraction, with Gohan releasing all of his power at that moment to overpower Cell. Cell -was- pushing back everything he had left at Gohan, but the intent looks like the momentum plus the power gave him the win.

Since Gohan was weakened there, a fully powered one should have probably been more powerful, although not -that- much. I agree the difference was small, but I don't think it was equal, either.

And like you said, the anime skews it ridiculously in Cell's favor, since everyone was doing full out blasts at his back (while he was not blocking, again), and he was fighting them off with ki from his back while blasting Gohan.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The gohan/cell beam struggle is like 8 pages in the manga lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

mmkay posted:

The anime version really skews the relative power of Cell and Gohan in the latter's favour - after Gohan unleashes his energy, it takes like 5 episodes of him walking forward until Cell is killed, and there's the sideplot of the whole B-crew shooting at Cell's back, until Vegeta decides to turn SSJ and join as well. While in the manga, there's a quick shot of Vegeta shooting a useless ki blast at Cell's face (without turning SSJ), who turns attention, Gohan unleashes the Kamehameha and everything's over.

Don't you mean the former's favor? :confused:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

Why do you think he actually had Dodoria and Zarbon around?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

VJeff posted:

Don't you mean the former's favor? :confused:

No, I was thinking about the scene where Gohan is slowly walking forward and Cell is looking scared for some reason, not bothering to do anything to powerup his Kamehameha.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Covok posted:

Who said Freeza's species needs to sleep.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Gohan loving sucks and was always lame. He ran away from Nappa of all people

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

Even assuming Frieza needs to sleep it's pretty goddamn hard to kill him. He survived being cut in half and caught in an exploding planet.

facebook jihad posted:

Gohan loving sucks and was always lame. He ran away from Nappa of all people

Nappa killed half the cast of Dragonball on his own including Piccolo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

And he was loving four.

• Locked thread