Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Modus Man posted:

yeah it looks like they made 19,000 9-7x and only 9,000 9-2x so your even worse off than I am. At least our internals are from more popular vehicles. I'll eventually be driving a 9-7x with a front clip made entirely of duct tape and a roadkill-style chicken wire grill with ebay headlights behind it :q:

Find an Oldsmobile Bravada front end and do a full swap so people can't decide which defunct GM brand they just saw you driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It sounds like a complete bag of poo poo in the video too...

quote:

The car runs HKS adjustable dampers and super-hard 70kg/mm springs from 326 Power in order to eliminate any sort of piston movement or shock absorption.

Though this bit confuses me. If you're dropping your car as low as possible and want your suspension to move exactly zero mm, why are you even putting suspension in? Just weld that poo poo right up at the height you want. Or have I just opened up a new way of doing dumb things with cars?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

88h88 posted:

Though this bit confuses me. If you're dropping your car as low as possible and want your suspension to move exactly zero mm, why are you even putting suspension in? Just weld that poo poo right up at the height you want. Or have I just opened up a new way of doing dumb things with cars?
That's actually a thing some F1 teams experimented with during the ground effects era after sliding skirts were banned.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Haha, that's about 4000lb/in. There is basically no point in even having a damper or spring there.

And yeah, with a shitload of downforce you end up with really stiff springs just to keep the car level and off the ground, which is not ideal for mechanical grip. You'll also see things like extra springs and dampers that only work on both sides under compression so that the suspension can move a little more in slower corners.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Jesus wept.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm surprised no one is making cone shaped tires yet to serve those clowns.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

I'm surprised no one is making cone shaped tires yet to serve those clowns.

http://www.cambertire.com/

Unfortunately, the inventor responded to the question "wouldn't a cone shape tire like that want to roll in a circle, and essentially be scrubbing trying to drive in a straight line" with a simple "shut up, i'm an engineer" and the whole thing is basically dead.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Powershift posted:

http://www.cambertire.com/

Unfortunately, the inventor responded to the question "wouldn't a cone shape tire like that want to roll in a circle, and essentially be scrubbing trying to drive in a straight line" with a simple "shut up, i'm an engineer" and the whole thing is basically dead.

the gallery is a thing of beauty not fit for this thread

CamberTire

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 9, 2015

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Brain damage in car form.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It looks like it got thumped by one of those whack-a-mole mallets.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Reference posted:

That's actually a thing some F1 teams experimented with during the ground effects era after sliding skirts were banned.

The Lotus 80 had sliding skirts but was massively flawed aerodynamically (when the car pitched and dove under braking or was faced with uneven track surfaces it would lose grip), so they attempted to resolve this by fitting something ridiculous like 2000lb/in. springs. It helped the car's behaviour but the consequence of fitting those springs was that the test driver could not keep his feet on the pedals.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Many of the ground effect cars were pretty brutal to drive.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
MCM made a car with a welded up suspension and managed to drive it all of a 1/4 mile before giving up.

https://youtu.be/GSc_T5JqUZ0?t=26m5s

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFmWd2JkC8

3:40 You can sit on your wallet Alan.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

wildemere posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LFmWd2JkC8

3:40 You can sit on your wallet Alan.

Better yet, the bouncing was dragging the transmission on the ground.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Uthor posted:

MCM made a car with a welded up suspension and managed to drive it all of a 1/4 mile before giving up.

https://youtu.be/GSc_T5JqUZ0?t=26m5s

This video led to this other one, which is great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu6h5IoqkoA

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here watch a bunch of idiots put wheels on a Miata

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwRwaiUIWw

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

leica posted:

looks so good dood

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Gonna leave this because there's a million photos and you really need to appreciate this at your own speed. It's......... special.

http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40718

Just putting this here as a teaser

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

leica posted:

Wooh those guys are a few brain cells short. But once I saw that samurai shifter I knew enough

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

88h88 posted:

Gonna leave this because there's a million photos and you really need to appreciate this at your own speed. It's......... special.

Just putting this here as a teaser

This gets worse with every single photo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This gets worse with every single photo.

It's pretty incredible.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

"Roses are red,
Violets are glorious,
Never sneak up on Oscar Pistorius."

im going to Hell for laffing at this

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Didn't think to grab my phone until it was too late, but it's not hard to replicate. Saw a car in a parking lot with this ubiquitous local dealership sticker:

However, they'd done some... "creative" removal to turn it into:

The true terrible car stuff, by the way, is buying a car from an Earnhardt dealership. gently caress those guys.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
Earnhardt may suck, but camelback hyundai/kia pissed me off so bad I will never do business with them. What part of "Don't loving call me anymore" did these guys not understand?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

driguy posted:

Earnhardt may suck, but camelback hyundai/kia pissed me off so bad I will never do business with them. What part of "Don't loving call me anymore" did these guys not understand?

Was it "not"?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Didn't think to grab my phone until it was too late, but it's not hard to replicate. Saw a car in a parking lot with this ubiquitous local dealership sticker:

The true terrible car stuff, by the way, is buying a car from an Earnhardt dealership. gently caress those guys.

I bought my SRT from them. Never EVER again.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I bought my SRT from them. Never EVER again.

First-hand with them, I wasted far too much of my life (probably an hour and a half, still too much) with them playing the most hilarious bullshit four-square sales tactics. I was interested in pretty much any one of the dozen or so 2004-2005 Mazdaspeed Miatas they had on hand, with the '06 NC Miatas being no more than a month or so from actually showing up on lots. When I laughed at their final offer (which was still above sticker on a two-year-old never-sold car) the salesman I'd been "working" with threw a loving hissy fit in the middle of the showroom, and his manager chased me out into the lot to try and get me to talk to them.

They also sold a family member a known-salvage title vehicle without disclosing it, and wouldn't even attempt to diagnose the crank-but-no-start on a friend's car until she paid $Texas for a new battery.

gently caress Tex Earnhardt, now and forever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The flattened to gently caress tyre with gigantic chicken strips really tops it off.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Earnhardt. Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time...a long time.

I used to live in Tempe and saw those stickers everywhere. I never heard a single good thing about them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

First-hand with them, I wasted far too much of my life (probably an hour and a half, still too much) with them playing the most hilarious bullshit four-square sales tactics. I was interested in pretty much any one of the dozen or so 2004-2005 Mazdaspeed Miatas they had on hand, with the '06 NC Miatas being no more than a month or so from actually showing up on lots. When I laughed at their final offer (which was still above sticker on a two-year-old never-sold car) the salesman I'd been "working" with threw a loving hissy fit in the middle of the showroom, and his manager chased me out into the lot to try and get me to talk to them.

They also sold a family member a known-salvage title vehicle without disclosing it, and wouldn't even attempt to diagnose the crank-but-no-start on a friend's car until she paid $Texas for a new battery.

What do you mean by hissy fit? I would honestly love for something like that to happen to me at a dealership just so I could get it on video and post it everywhere including sending it to local news stations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah unfortunately the four square predatory bullshit worked on me. I was 19, dumb, had money and really wanted that car. It was only after a few years did I learn how bad they hosed me raw.

Then trying to get service. That's a whole other set of lovely stories.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

leica posted:

What do you mean by hissy fit? I would honestly love for something like that to happen to me at a dealership just so I could get it on video and post it everywhere including sending it to local news stations.

This was in 2006 so I didn't have anything better than a potatophone, I don't think it even could take video (let alone anything watchable). But yes, a full on screaming paper-throwing tantrum. I distinctly remember another salesman working a family over at a table maybe 10 feet away doing his best to keep them from staring in horror. He literally brought us a paper with a cheesy dollar-store gift bow stuck on it and we all but threw it back in his face when we called him on just making one number bigger to get the other one "where we wanted it". In all honesty it might've been for the best, we'd only had our '99 Miata for a couple years and the higher payment even on the price we wanted to get might not have really been that affordable. I saw people on miata.net claiming stupid-low OTD pricing because the MSM just wasn't selling for poo poo and figured I'd try my hand at it.

Now, older and wiser I don't bother even talking numbers in person, let alone any number that is not the OTD total price.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Ugh. UGH! Back in 2001-2002 I sold Harleys at a dealership in Ann Arbor, MI. That whole place was crooked as a dog's hind leg, and we sold bikes with Four Square. The first and only job I ever got fired from-a day after my birthday and two weeks before my wedding. That job put me permanently off Harleys and Harley "culture". It was awful. So, yeah. It was me. I was the terrible automotive poo poo.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

leica posted:

Go to mitsubishi of new port ritchie, get the really guido jersey dude as your salesman, have a ball. Had a buddy looking at getting a base model lancer and wanted someone to go along with him to keep him from getting ripped off. It ended with me and the salesman in a screaming match in the parking lot 2 1/2 hours later because my friend decided he didn't want to go through with the sale. I'm a fun person to take to dealerships. :v:

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!
I didn't have a problem with Earnhardt. This is probably due to the fact that I already had an OTD price in writing from another dealership that I asked them to beat. No four square bullshit, if that had been the case I would have said see ya.

Haven't had to really deal with them for service so far but the few things I have had have been taken care of. I definitely have heard some bad things about the various dealerships here though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My worst dealership experience was at a Honda shop, of all places, and I was fourteen. It was just after the first Insight had come out and I thought it was the coolest car in the world (still gonna own one someday!). The local dealership had one stuck out in front, and it just sat...and sat...and sat. No one was interested in it and they clearly weren't making any effort to sell it. Eventually, after like three months of it not moving, my dad and I decided to go check it out.

1. We waited outside the dealership in the winter, poking at the Insight and looking in the windows for several minutes, while the salesmen stood inside and watched us through the glass. There were no other customers (yeah, yeah, but I like it when the sales guys at least act interested in the product they're selling).
2. Eventually we went inside and they were very aloof. Took a while to find the keys to the car, while acting disinterested.
3. Came outside. "Can we take it for a test drive?" "Oh, yeah, but only one of you...I have to be in the passenger seat." "So I can't drive it with my son?" "No, but he can sit in it."
4. "Also you can't take it out on the roads. You can only drive it around our lot."
5. Dad gets in the car and they drive around to the back. Comes back and parks it. Sales guy gets out. "Alright, you good?" Leaves.
6. Dad tells me that when he got to the back and put it in neutral, the engine stopped. Sales guy goes "what'd you do, stall it?" and dad had to explain the idle-stop feature of the vehicle.

Never went back to that dealership again. I still have never ridden in a moving Insight.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Same but it was the 80s and it was a Plymouth Horizon, and he had it in mint shape until the mid 2000s.

Also he sold a 914 for it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

My worst dealership experience was at a Honda shop, of all places, and I was fourteen. It was just after the first Insight had come out and I thought it was the coolest car in the world (still gonna own one someday!). The local dealership had one stuck out in front, and it just sat...and sat...and sat. No one was interested in it and they clearly weren't making any effort to sell it. Eventually, after like three months of it not moving, my dad and I decided to go check it out.

1. We waited outside the dealership in the winter, poking at the Insight and looking in the windows for several minutes, while the salesmen stood inside and watched us through the glass. There were no other customers (yeah, yeah, but I like it when the sales guys at least act interested in the product they're selling).
2. Eventually we went inside and they were very aloof. Took a while to find the keys to the car, while acting disinterested.
3. Came outside. "Can we take it for a test drive?" "Oh, yeah, but only one of you...I have to be in the passenger seat." "So I can't drive it with my son?" "No, but he can sit in it."
4. "Also you can't take it out on the roads. You can only drive it around our lot."
5. Dad gets in the car and they drive around to the back. Comes back and parks it. Sales guy gets out. "Alright, you good?" Leaves.
6. Dad tells me that when he got to the back and put it in neutral, the engine stopped. Sales guy goes "what'd you do, stall it?" and dad had to explain the idle-stop feature of the vehicle.

Never went back to that dealership again. I still have never ridden in a moving Insight.

I've always wanted a first gen one too. Coolest econobox ever.