Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The incentives for the development of Mantle were "OpenGL sucks, mobile developers want something better, this seems like a good opportunity". Also, AMD had been entrenched in two entire console generations (Gamecube/Wii, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS4, Xbox One), and my understanding from two AMD engineers is that they had been asking for those APIs, but on PC. A large part of AMD's technical support staff were helping people un-NVIDIA their games as well. I think there were a lot of factors, and it was a combination of the right time, the right place, and the right luck. e.g. Valve was pushing SteamOS and they found that the tooling around OpenGL loving sucked, and it was easier to start over from scratch.

But I don't have any contact with NVIDIA -- the story is always biased in the competitors' favor.

I don't have any public and official sources for NVIDIA completely taking control of Khronos during that time period, but I do have it on authority from several colleagues who I trust.

I've also heard that Autodesk also had a large hand in it -- AutoCAD was originally designed for IRIX, and my understanding is that a good majority of AutoCAD is legacy GL that nobody quite understands how it works. I actually don't know if Autodesk was on Khronos during that time period -- given that they were one of SGI's biggest customers, I think they might have been -- but I can't seem to find any records on this. Game developers were only allowed membership a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the fact that rob pike is so contrarian and retarded that he rejects syntax highlighting explains a lot about Go

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

and then

rob pike, also unironically posted:

When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child,
reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish
things.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
and also

rob pike, what the gently caress man posted:

I see the benefits of syntax highlighting, just as I see the benefits
of diapers.

-rob

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i mean i think that's just some quality poo poo talk, sorta like saying emacs is bad or whatever

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

didn't DICE design Mantle and then talk AMD into implementing it?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

daaamn so those things have a name? :monocle:

e: in my set the orange piece was also a ruler

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

didn't DICE design Mantle and then talk AMD into implementing it?

The story I was told was that AMD started the project based on their experience with developing both the libgcm API and the Adreno chipset, and DICE helped out a ton by offering real-world experience and being a "first customer" -- that might boil down to designing a lot of it to fit into how modern engines work.

I'm sure that DICE was super excited about it though -- everyone was.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Elder Postsman posted:

hey what do y'all think of Go

there are people here talking about it and one person using it, i don't know anything about it except it's from google.

http://yager.io/programming/go.html

also if you ask Rob Pike why Go doesn't have map or filter:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/golang-nuts/RKymTuSCHS0/eP7mhEMVy6YJ

quote:

The modern programmer thinks a newline is a thousand times harder to
type than any other character. If instead you take a newline as only
one keystroke, which it is, the fact that your program might not fit
on one line is a bearable burden.

-rob

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 10, 2015

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
What a colossal condescending rear end in a top hat

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pike would be a great gimmick yosposter

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

http://shitgonutssays.tumblr.com/

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Symbolic Butt posted:

pike would be a great gimmick yosposter

Pram is outed

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gonadic io posted:

Pram is outed

need a heavy amount of libertarian rhetoric too.

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Golang? This is John Golang speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of exceptions and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge -I am the man who will now tell you.”

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
maybe "gently caress you got mine" is the design goal for golang :toot:

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

gonadic io posted:

What a colossal condescending rear end in a top hat

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

like wow i knew he was an idiot but syntax highlighting

you guys

syntax highlighting

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

I mean reasonable people can disagree about to what degree you like your editor to look like a christmas tree but at least four is a pretty nice common ground

comments? at least? please?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

tef posted:

need a heavy amount of libertarian rhetoric too.

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Golang? This is John Golang speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of exceptions and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge -I am the man who will now tell you.”

quote:

Unsolicited comments are the foundation of nice things, and are a requirement for a productive community. Not calling bullshit when you see it is the primary reason the world is such in a sad state. I'm proud to call bullshit when I see it. This guy’s work has the potential effect of disrupting the entire Go ecosystem in a negative way. Author feelings be damned, I’m not going to tolerate this, I'm going to stand up and fight for what I believe in.

Aram Hăvărneanu

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what kind of retard would even consider using go?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I swear this forum used to be teeming with them, or am I thinking of grey forum

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
people pop up here every now and then touting their latest fad lang but lots of them get shamed into leaving and/or embrace the light of c#/java.

remember when people used ruby? lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
has there been anyone who's tried the current asp.net web stack and hasn't converted?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Shaggar posted:

has there been anyone who's tried the current asp.net web stack

probably not

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

"I call bullshit on you calling bullshit! "

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

everyone here whos tried it has switched and the only people who haven't tried it are scared that they'll get something that works instead of having to deal with garbo p-langs.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Shaggar posted:

everyone here whos tried it has switched and the only people who haven't tried it are scared that they'll get something that works instead of having to deal with garbo p-langs.

ive heard that .net stacks are common in finance. do you work in finance? the only tech place I know with a .net stack is zocdoc, and they were started by ex-finance people, ha

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

people pop up here every now and then touting their latest fad lang but lots of them get shamed into leaving and/or embrace the light of c#/java.

remember when people used ruby? lol

i used to use ruby lol. now i use c# and it's cool and good. i haven't tried the newest asp.net/mvc but i probably will at some point

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i thought all the stacks looked like react or whatever now, with the back-end stuff in jvm services?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm trying to nudge a bunch of people into trying Erlang and marrying themselves to sweet, sweet pattern matching.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

tef posted:

"gently caress you go mine"

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MononcQc posted:

I'm trying to nudge a bunch of people into trying Erlang and marrying themselves [...]

:gasp:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

lmao

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

quote:

Rob 'Commander' Pike
Even to my humanist eyes, a numeral one that looks like a serifed capital eye looks wrong.

Dude's been reading my blog posts.

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

tef posted:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i just discovered this thing today and i find it pretty useful so i thought i would share

https://www.linqpad.net/

thats my linq story cya

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Dessert Rose posted:

you guys

syntax highlighting

i see ghosting and halos when looking at lit objects, including computer screens. syntax highlighting is an accessibility feature. same with language features like map and filter that express more with less characters

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MononcQc posted:

I'm trying to nudge a bunch of people into trying Erlang and marrying themselves to sweet, sweet pattern matching.

can u explain why elixir is bad, or is not bad? i have to rescue a garbage node app and am considering it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Dessert Rose posted:

you guys

syntax highlighting
I am p. sure its a gimmick.

I refuse to believe anything else.

Rob Pike posted:

“Aside from that, everybody knows a tab is 8 spaces wide."
Except that’s not true. It’s measured in units of the width of a numeral. Only in a fixed-width font (who uses those nowadays? Wow, flashback to a teletype!) are those the same thing.

:suicide: