Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

JetsGuy posted:

But then the game would also be more like a RTS than a FPS.
so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
RTS... in my Gaming Dad experience?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mr Cuddles posted:

The artillery is kind of an effect on gameplay

Yeah exactly. Also the minutemen occasionally showing up in areas near your settlements.

JetsGuy posted:

Maybe I haven't gotten there yet, but if you could grow a settlement's "influence" farther and farther until they all overlapped that would be cool. Like if someone really wanted to go full sperg and sit in Sanctuary building it up until the walk to their next nearest objective (whatever farm) was safe because they've got turrets and towers and walls all the way there, that'd be kinda cool.

But then the game would also be more like a RTS than a FPS.

This would be cool but I think making the area totally safe could be boring (eventually). But maybe "safe" enough that other people (that you don't directly control) could start moving into the areas near your fort, or maybe once you got above X size or Y number of settlements or whatever, major cities (i.e. Diamond City) would approach you for trade, things like that. Maybe if your settlements are doing well (or poorly) enough it can affect your reputation with certain towns, people, or factions, and maybe some people might even realize who you are by reputation the first time you meet them... things like that. That'd be pretty cool

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

even 200 years after the bomb i must keep the gothic lolita fandom alive

i have ventured deep into the glowing sea in search of lost anime shipments

the locals are not friendly...

but i will survive... i must... kawaiive

edit: a rival neckbeard has attacked, i must be growing close

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 10, 2015

Frankenoodle
Jun 6, 2015

Everybody's talking at me

SlothBear posted:

...they fell through the earth and are gone forever. :rip:

Are you sure? Have you checked inside the earth? Open console, and use tfc or tcl.

Besesoth posted:

Your settlement's giving you 200 water off five purifiers that work even if you put them on land. I'm not making any assumptions.

Ah, I gotcha.

It was just the classic "rug bug". I placed two wooden floors near my purifiers and long-pressed E on them and it picked up all of my purifiers and generators, too. I did a 180 before I realized what was going on and everything was still green, so I dropped them in the dirt and noticed my settlement still said 200 water. I left them there for a while, but I got no water. Still don't. I only have 12 in my workbench, and they've been there forever.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
-tgm is the only reason I like settlements.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i'm saying that settlements should be a more integral part of the game, and also better. as it is, it feels like a side game with poorly communicated effects. i don't think "you can completely ignore an entire aspect of the game" is particularly good design. i thought i made it clear that i was having fun with settlements regardless, i just wish it were to a greater end, but i guess you missed that.

Settlements have a bunch of mechanical effects, they can produce water and crafting components, they make paste and cutting fluid that are major deals for crafting they give you access to rank 4 stores and crafting benches and storage. That if what they do in the mechanics of the game.

If you want to stick a bunch of cat posters up and put them in fun houses then you totally can but that part is optional. Lots of people like that part though better than the mechanical stuff just being a boring one click thing.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I force Local Leader 2 with the console because all I want are Power Armor racks but they're gated behind that stupid perk. I don't want to be the mayor of Shitheap, MA, I just want to display my collection of walking tanks.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!

gromdul posted:

:words: RE: water not being deposited in workshops

I don't know WTF is going on, it's probably just a bug. I fully intended to empty out my workbench. When I opened the aid tab there was 341 water waiting for me. I didn't do much of anything.

Here's what I did when I noticed I had zero water. I double checked everything was powered, and picked up and placed all the water purifiers (literally just 'e' then 'tab'). Did a quest at Polymer Labs and went to bed last night.

Did my research and made my post I quoted.

Defended Red Rocket (got the notification when I was inside Polymer Labs).

Checked my workbench and it was full of water.

Regardless, I took all the aid that can be generated and all my scrap and moved it to an idle workbench. I keep it in the workbench so its linked and I can use crafting stations at any settlement. I guess I will see what happens.

P. S. Curie is the best. I finished her quest, gave her Grognak's Axe and a pink bikini. Watching her body slam a Synth Courser was amazing :black101:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Internet Kraken posted:

Nope. As long as you don't actually open fire on anybody during it, you'll be just fine. I would not recommend this though. It turns what can otherwise be a cool firefight into a clusterfuck where everyone is running around blowing each other up while you casually stroll through everything. Good for a laugh I guess.
I'm pretty sure I killed synths and shot a few Railroad turrets, but I completed the mission with the Railroad. The Brotherhood just showed up because I guess they parallelize their intel collection.

Kinda bummed I missed out on the insane Railroad Heavy coats because a stack of those would make my provisioners something to be feared.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Funny thing I found out about player-built machinegun turrets: Apparently they are affected by the area specific leveling or something. I noticed this when my turrets in Egret Tours Marina started firing incendiary rounds at some radstag that wandered too close. Took a closer look and yup, my turrets there are Mk. 5s while all those in Sanctuary are Mk. 1s.

Investigating further in build mode, I saw as I cycled back and forth between the MG turrets that the placeable would randomly change between Mk 1, 3 & 5.

Wonder if I can get Mk. 7s anywhere, they fire explosive rounds. :getin:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

sitchelin posted:

I force Local Leader 2 with the console because all I want are Power Armor racks but they're gated behind that stupid perk. I don't want to be the mayor of Shitheap, MA, I just want to display my collection of walking tanks.

No shame in it - I'm never taking those perks legit again, either. In fact I'll probably console in Armorer 1 as well - it's not like it serves any practical purpose aside from gating your power armor dock. If you want tier 1 armor mods you can find them in abundance on dead enemies.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

orcane posted:

It does have a stupidly small size limit though, by the time I reached the height limit with my tower, I had just enough left over to build just enough beds and food for my 5 or so settlers, and put down enough turrets to protect them.

Yea, that's the problem I found too. I didn't have enough space after building to put in water or power.

Legendary Super Mutant Suicider. That wasn't fun.

So a random, owned locked door in a subway station. nothing inside is owned, just the door.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 10, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

twistedmentat posted:

Legendary Super Mutant Suicider. That wasn't fun.

Unless you really really want to pick up that mininuke, just cripple the limb holding it. The real prize should still be somewhere in the fallout afterwards.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Glazius posted:

The real prize should still be somewhere in the fallout afterwards.

HEYOOOOOOOOOOO

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Patch is out for PS4, I couldn't find any information about what bugs it fixed. Supposed to improve framerate though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

titties posted:

Patch is out for PS4, I couldn't find any information about what bugs it fixed. Supposed to improve framerate though.

I dunno, it was supposed to make things more stable on PC, and it has DEFINITELY done the reverse for me.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Midnight Voyager posted:

I dunno, it was supposed to make things more stable on PC, and it has DEFINITELY done the reverse for me.

I have noticed so far that my + movement speed gear is working a lot more consistently.

I suppose I could just load my broken playthrough and see if it's still broken.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm a PS4 plebe and now when I open my pipboy as I crouch everything within the frame of the pipboy (sans text) goes invisible as if I was using that chameleon poo poo. It only happens if I try to access the pipboy the instant I crouch but it's annoying when it happens. I didn't have this problem before the patch.
Another problem I have that I didn't seem to have before is if I kill someone in VATS from behind with a sneak melee attack and do the special animation I lose all control over Y-axis; I can't look up or down. I tried saving and reloading and my Y-axis was stuck. I tried fast traveling someplace else, still stuck. I had to go back to an earlier save. It isn't my right stick because when examining objects in the pipboy I can rotate them up or down with the right stick. I just can't look up or down.

Up until this patch I had almost problems and maybe 1 game crash in about 100 hours. And that crash was during a really hectic event and I threw out a cryo mine freezing probably like 10 things while there was lots of lasers so I couldn't even be too mad about it. The other problems I've had were either falling into a spot that I couldn't get out of because I think they didn't think anyone would jump behind some pipes and getting stuck in some weird geometry in a cave so I couldn't move. Both of those required a reverted save but seem generally avoidable. Not being able to stealth kill someone in VATS in a build that is literally only stealth kills in VATS is kinda of a big problem.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

JetsGuy posted:

[...]
2) I think it's really sick how the game often will not tell you (especially if you sleep) if settlements are under attack. I was really fortunate I had a quick save right after finishing Vault 81. If I nap or quick travel, it's too much time and Sanctuary loses all non-named settlers. I literally had to run on foot to Sanctuary from there and got there in time to punch a huge contingent of raiders in their stupid faces. All settlers saved.

On the other hand, I've had some settlements I've never helped where settlers will come up to me and say "heh, we sure showed those raiders that thought we'd be easy pickings".

I've never lost settlers to attacks, it's always just a bunch of fried turrets and generators, and some broken crops. There was one time the game reported "0 settlers" for Greentop Nursery after an attack, and I was mad I missed the notification, but when I went there the counter refreshed and all my 16 settlers were still there. It frequently says "0 settlers" for Sanctuary too, until I go there and everyone's there (too bad, I was hoping someone had gotten rid of the Longs and Mama Murphy for me).

Speaking of Mama Murphy, I think it was a mistake getting her off drugs. Instead of sitting in her chair, she's now walking around, hammering buildings, and I can't even order her around in workshop view. Talking to her brings up her inventory ("I want to trade some items"), and now I can't put her hobo clothes back on :(

Also, I could assign Deacon and some others to crops etc., but several followers don't have that option in workshop view, so they just wander aimlessly and are never around when I need them :argh:

And more settlement fun, recently a lot of settlers say "we really need your help" as you pass by, but if you talk to them they say nothing and just trade. Maybe I broke it when I used the console to get rid of a bunch of Preston quests (I had to talk to Preston about five times before he exhausted his "I have another settlement that needs our help" quest dispensing routine, and allowed me to tell him to GTFO of his power armor, get hosed Bethesda...), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't one for these particular outposts.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

You can't even kill Mama Murphy after she got off drugs. gently caress Mama Murphy, should've let her OD on Psycho.

e: I really wish you could go "Jet? Here's some Ultrajet!"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Jeoh posted:

You can't even kill Mama Murphy after she got off drugs. gently caress Mama Murphy, should've let her OD on Psycho.

e: I really wish you could go "Jet? Here's some Ultrajet!"

quote:

the fallout thread for stable people

I'm not disagreeing with you mind - just find the contrast ... funny.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
She's an annoying, poorly voiced character that shouldn't have been in the game to begin with. I spoke to her a grand total of once (or twice?) because the quest forced me to. I put her in her chair somewhere at the far end of Sanctuary and haven't interacted with her since. I only wish I could do the same with that married couple. At least with Mama Murphy you're given an inelegant solution to her particular problem.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Talmonis posted:

Settlements make me so happy. The road to Sanctuary is a series of militia checkpoints that begin at the newly fortified Red Rocket station, overseen by the overlapping artillery batteries of nearby farms. The checkpoints are manned by settlers on guard posts on either side of the road, in Minutemen uniforms and either berets or militia hats and armed with upgraded assault rifles & various unique weapons. The bridge into Sanctuary is lined on the Sanctuary side with steel walls that extend down the street through a twin guard tower checkpoint. It all leads up to the town proper and final, well armed checkpoint with Deacon, Macready and Strong on guard duty, backed by heavy laser turrets. Bronze lions on either side lie in front of the towers and a bronze minuteman in the center in front of a guard post. Caravans are invited to stay at the Caravan post outside the final checkpoint, with other amenities on hand. In the town proper are the real prize, fully staffed emporiums with rank 4 merchants (where possible). As the brotherhood are a bunch of bigoted curs, it necessitates a degree of anti-air defenses to deal with pesky Vertibird insertions. The town is defended with overlapping arcs of missile turrets. It feels good to be the General.

sounds like a good time

I made all my first game settlements into military checkpoints. Just enough mutfruit and water to cover basic needs, beds, radio beacon, turrets and artillery. Everyone else got a nice weapon, one unit of ammo, a minuteman uniform, welding goggles and a mining helmet, then were sent out on patrol into the Commonwealth as a supply line provisioner. Didn't matter where I went, those provisioners were lighting up the whole joint with gunfire and mining hats. When I went hostile to the Brotherhood, my provisioners murdered everyone at Boston Airport.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

creature armor values are the hardest thing to gently caress with, editing their passive effects doesn't seem to stick

double nine posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you mind - just find the contrast ... funny.
it's kind of a joke that didn't start as one; primarily has to do with the complete absence of those who lack adequate cognitive function in this thread when ironically this thread was created for them to post in

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 10, 2015

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!
Will Mama Murphy overdose no matter what? Does it matter if you wait a few in game days between dosing her?

Do legendary creatures spawn in the same place for everyone or is it in random locations?

A couple of glitches I had:

Ran into a vendor named Smiling Larry. He said he had everything I needed but his inventory was blank and so was mine.

Got a notification that Grey Garden was under attack. I was very close to leveling up. When I got there, everything was fine but I gained enough XP right after fast traveling to level up. As soon as I finished with that, there was a ghoul attack.

The glitch that allowed you to get your caps back from vendors has been repaired after the patch.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So what is the most powerful enemy in the game? Hopefully not Swan, since he was super easy.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

evilmiera posted:

So what is the most powerful enemy in the game? Hopefully not Swan, since he was super easy.

Swan might be weak, but it's the strongest one out there I'm afraid. Unless you get a hidden bastard's Fat Man on your head, but hitpoints and damage wise, Swan's definitely the strongest.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I dunno, Swan is easy to cheese. I ran into a Legendary Dominator Assaultron in the Institute FEV lab that was more of a problem for me. It all depends on how lucky you are with weapon drops, I suppose. Some of them can trivialize the game.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Probably a Legendary Annihilator Sentry Bot Mk. II. They're like regular sentry bots, only they also have some kind of rocket launcher and additional cluster-bomb launcher. If they get the drop on you, you're basically dead.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Those giant sentry bots will gently caress you up if you're not ready for them.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Did the Dunwhich Boreres last night :stonk:

probably my favorite dungeon in the game at this point.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

evilmiera posted:

Swan is a complete pushover. The hardest enemies are top-end Sentry Bots, Assaultrons, power-armored humans, and for some reason, basic ceiling-mounted laser turrets.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You are the most powerful enemy in the game... or will be at some point.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
I feel Sentry Bots would be less of an issue if their turn speed was reduced in some way, making a straight shot into their backs when they cooldown irritating. Goes with most enemies, it's difficult to circle behind stuff.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilmiera posted:

Swan is leveled to you and has a weird curve of being super easy or super hard depending on exactly when you get to that area and exactly when you fight him. It's possible to meet him and one hit kill him but also possible for him to one hit kill you just depending on where in the game you are when you first visit that area.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zodium posted:

Probably a Legendary Annihilator Sentry Bot Mk. II. They're like regular sentry bots, only they also have some kind of rocket launcher and additional cluster-bomb launcher. If they get the drop on you, you're basically dead.

Where can you find those? Haven't had much issue with sentrybots so far.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Do you need more than one beacon in settlements? Because there's no reason for settlements like sanctuary to stagnate at 10-12 settlers for me.

Also, I sent Dogmeat home after meeting Curie but that love affair was short lived as I eventually decided to meet up with Piper finally. I didn't like the introduction to the character, but she is fun to have around and is a damned good shot. I just wish you didn't have to give companions real amounts of ammo, because I have so many awesome guns I want to give her.

I will say though Dogmeat - still the best companion, he doesn't judge me for stealing another desk fan because GOTTA HAVE GEARS.

EDIT: Is the only resolution to the combat zone that they immediately aggro you? Because I went up to talk to someone and he immediately tried to punch me.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I found an automatic super charged laser rifle in the building where you fight an Assaultron and Sentry Bot for a suit of X-01.

It tears through Sentry Bots and ammo like butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
"Unused voice clips for Tommy Lonegan reveal that the Combat Zone was going to be an arena the player could participate in. Tommy makes reference to prize money and a lift in the basement that takes combatants up into the arena. Unfortunately, this was cut for unknown reasons"

Boo. I knew it. I hope mods bring it back or that it actually gets reopened in a DLC/patch at some future point as Lonegan implies when you clear it of raiders. Fighting in an arena as a melee character would have rocked.

• Locked thread