Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Yeah, what the hell is there supposed to be to explore in the halls? There might be some fairly pretty bits, but it's all non-interactive, static map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Guild Halls are big and empty so you can sit in them while you contemplate how we all wasted $50+ to beta test this rushed expansion.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lonk posted:

Guild Halls are big and empty so you can sit in them while you contemplate how we all wasted $50+ to beta test this rushed expansion.

drat it.

And you for making me realize it. SAB is never coming back!

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Attestant posted:

Yeah, what the hell is there supposed to be to explore in the halls? There might be some fairly pretty bits, but it's all non-interactive, static map.

Obviously all teh good stuff is gated behind 'Further Exploration'

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
I am not sarcastically posting about just how amazing and fun Wildstar's home instance customization was.

All those Devs they took and not a single bit of that system's influence came over?

:(

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

treizebee posted:

I am not sarcastically posting about just how amazing and fun Wildstar's home instance customization was.

All those Devs they took and not a single bit of that system's influence came over?

:(

As much poo poo as Wildstar gets, the housing system is legitimately fantastic and no one else wants to copy it for whatever reason. It's a goddamned shame. :sigh:

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Did Anet even actually hire Wildstar devs? I thought that was just something someone made up as a goof.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I think they actually hired like one or two, the rest is people actually taking a joke Cletus posted at face value for some reason.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I felt like playing a bit the past couple days but could never log in so I found something else to do also you guys should check out Narcos on Netflix it's really good (and not dead like this game)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Schpyder posted:

I think they actually hired like one or two, the rest is people actually taking a joke Cletus posted at face value for some reason.

"for some reason" is probably because Anet made so many moronic decisions surrounding HoT, that "they hired the idiots who made Wildstar fail" suddenly becomes plausible :v:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I am not enjoying the expansion :(

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Same. I love gliding and running around the big zones, but the actual content in them is lacking. And the need to grind events to accomplish anything is not a big hit with me, either. Is there a reason besides laziness they went with constant events as opposed to hearts?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

3 years of incessant bitching about hearts

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

morcant posted:

Same. I love gliding and running around the big zones, but the actual content in them is lacking. And the need to grind events to accomplish anything is not a big hit with me, either. Is there a reason besides laziness they went with constant events as opposed to hearts?

Well, events and hearts aren't really comparable-- hearts are more like the adventures, except adventures are nearly 100% improved. The only downside is that they are arbitrarily locked at night. I wish they'd cut that out.

Events have always existed and are awesome, except when every event is scheduled in relation to everything else in the zone and isn't as "organic" as the classic ones. I'd say that's the real problem in the new zones. That and the events that are nearly impossible to complete, anyway, like Gerent.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

morcant posted:

Is there a reason besides laziness they went with constant events as opposed to hearts?

Hearts aren't repeatable. Though a lot of the events really don't need repeating.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

there were some guild halls in gw1 that were massive but all the relevant poo poo was right at hand when you spawned in and the rest was mostly there to look nice and be neat to explore. the ones in gw2 seem to try and have the best of both worlds but manage to just make it annoying, to where everything is spread around and there's somehow still way too much unused area that serves no actual purpose.

Yeah, I ported into the Guild Hall a few times and was underwhelmed. I feel like they didn't think this through.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Royal terrace pass is back on the gemstore, buy one like me so we can spam Arus with noise and particle effects allllllll day.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Blasphemeral posted:

Well, events and hearts aren't really comparable-- hearts are more like the adventures, except adventures are nearly 100% improved. The only downside is that they are arbitrarily locked at night. I wish they'd cut that out.

No way. Adventures are jumping puzzles but 100% improved, including built-in dick-waving lifetime rankings.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, adventures are not even a little like hearts. There's no reason they couldn't have included both, other than resources/time, same as Southsun/Dry Top/SW. Just further leads to the idea that they are rushing content and the xpack like all gently caress.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Shows what I know. :downs: Still, running fractals and maybe trying WvW is fun enough for me I suppose... But that probably shouldn't be the main draw right after a brand new xpac?

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I imagine they ditched hearts because it's a lot of effort for non repeatable content.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

morcant posted:

Shows what I know. :downs: Still, running fractals and maybe trying WvW is fun enough for me I suppose... But that probably shouldn't be the main draw right after a brand new xpac?

The map meta events are way better than hearts. There's no reason to have hearts in the new zone because they'd just fill in the same role. Nobody misses hearts, some people just like to complain about everything.

Edit:

mind the walrus posted:

3 years of incessant bitching about hearts

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 10, 2015

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Removing hearts in favor of events is like the prime example of Anet actually listening to the community for once. In 3 years, I've never really seen anyone say they like hearts outside of "hey, at least they're better than the common MMO quest hub that requires a lot of running back and forth".

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Totbot posted:

Removing hearts in favor of events is like the prime example of Anet actually listening to the community for once. In 3 years, I've never really seen anyone say they like hearts outside of "hey, at least they're better than the common MMO quest hub that requires a lot of running back and forth".

Hearts are a *great* leveling mechanic that get people to explore the world.

You're right though, because there isn't really much of a point to the hearts for post-80 expansion content.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just further leads to the idea that they are rushing content and the xpack like all gently caress.

It's supremely weird, considering that they've had such a massive gulf inbetween the initial launch of the game and the release of the expansion. I honestly can't think of another MMO that took this long to get an expansion out the door, yet it still feels rushed/unfinished in a bunch of places.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kenshin posted:

there isn't really much of a point to the hearts for post-80 expansion content.

Might've made for more interesting acquisition of hero points and/or mastery points.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
I genuinely have no problem with hearts. Almost all of them are really easy to do and the complaints are pretty much all people being lazy because they have a bunch of alts and want everything to just be done when they do it with one character. Same poo poo about people whining that leveling is too slow in this game even though it's piss-easy and they made it even easier when they made everything poo poo out tomes.

The single biggest issue with hearts is honestly if you're doing world completion, which you're usually only going to do if you're making legendaries and even then it's one of the least annoying parts of doing so. I feel there are more pressing matters with this game than silly stuff like this. Removing them would be loving stupid and a waste of effort. All they really need to do is re-tool some of the more annoying hearts.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I miss hearts, eat my rear end nilgoow. You're complaining more than the pro-hearts people are.

Vermain posted:

It's supremely weird, considering that they've had such a massive gulf inbetween the initial launch of the game and the release of the expansion. I honestly can't think of another MMO that took this long to get an expansion out the door, yet it still feels rushed/unfinished in a bunch of places.

There has to be some kind of major disconnect or internal problems at Anet. I've never seen this kind of fuckup, in that the expansion is incomplete, buggy, lacking in quality, a 180 in design compared to the base game, and it still took 3 years :psyduck:

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Vermain posted:

I doubt that they had planned for an expansion even a year after launch, let alone while they were in development. They were originally going with their episodic content releases supported by the gem store and box sales up until people really started to push for a boxed expansion. In reality the expansion could have just been a few living story seasons, but everyone wanted it to be called an expansion.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

Might've made for more interesting acquisition of hero points and/or mastery points.

I hadn't even thought of that, but yeah.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
They never really had any intention of making an expansion, so no the expansion didn't take three years. It feels rushed because it was.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they realized that episode stuff probably wasn't enough to keep people involved (and it's not) so they pushed out an expansion to try and change that. maybe they'll better handle things when the inevitable second expansion comes out.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

ItBurns posted:

I doubt that they had planned for an expansion even a year after launch, let alone while they were in development. They were originally going with their episodic content releases supported by the gem store and box sales up until people really started to push for a boxed expansion. In reality the expansion could have just been a few living story seasons, but everyone wanted it to be called an expansion.

Substituting ~*Living Story*~ for xpacs would've been fine if the living story wasn't mostly poo poo. I largely wanted an xpac because the quality & quantity of things in the LS wasn't all that good, and figured having a focused development of one large batch of content would be better. Oops.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Generic Octopus posted:

Substituting ~*Living Story*~ for xpacs would've been fine if the living story wasn't mostly poo poo. I largely wanted an xpac because the quality & quantity of things in the LS wasn't all that good, and figured having a focused development of one large batch of content would be better. Oops.

Ironically the story in the xpac IS pretty drat good, at least way better than any of the LS stuff they put out before.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

malhavok posted:

Ironically the story in the xpac IS pretty drat good, at least way better than any of the LS stuff they put out before.

Not exactly a high bar, the living story episodes were not very good.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

malhavok posted:

Oh, yea, HoT is miles better than LS. I just expected better/more content.

I really wanted Tengu...

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Isn't the story that the game originally didn't have hearts, but they were added because initial testers were completely lost without the game telling them where to go? As in "Here, play our game without standard quests. Instead, dynamic events will happen around the game world that you can participate in! But where do I go??????????"

It's amazing how dumbed down players and MMOs are these days. My first MMO was DAoC. There was no in game map. Horses in cities had specific destinations and you had to jump off mid travel to run to another town to get on another horse to your actual destination. Oh, you want to know what stats a piece of gear has? Right-click it, so a window appears with some basic info. Then hit Shift+I to get another window with detailed information. I played for months without knowing how to do that.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
Story-related content is gradually trending upwards in quality, but unfortunately they're sort of stuck with a bunch of characters that suck and only a few that are ok.

Is it still spoilery to talk about the heart of thorns story? I'll tag it just to be safe.
The big plot point from Rata Novus is that each dragon has a weakness (and you blindly march right up to Mordremoth without even finding out what its weakness is which is dumb and reeks of rushed deadlines and hastily written ending). What was Zhaitan's? I know the really easy answer is "being shot with cannons" but would it be that you can kill its eyes and mouths to limit its influence? Or would it be something more direct like cutting off its tail makes it unable to fly?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GI_Clutch posted:

Isn't the story that the game originally didn't have hearts, but they were added because initial testers were completely lost without the game telling them where to go? As in "Here, play our game without standard quests. Instead, dynamic events will happen around the game world that you can participate in! But where do I go??????????"

It's amazing how dumbed down players and MMOs are these days. My first MMO was DAoC. There was no in game map. Horses in cities had specific destinations and you had to jump off mid travel to run to another town to get on another horse to your actual destination. Oh, you want to know what stats a piece of gear has? Right-click it, so a window appears with some basic info. Then hit Shift+I to get another window with detailed information. I played for months without knowing how to do that.

"Dumbed down" is a terrible way to put it. I play videogames like GW2 to relax/blow off stress, turn off my brain, and not think excessively. Just because I enjoy things like hearts "holding my hand" or telling me where to go/what do do, doesn't mean I'm some kind of idiot who needs a dumbed down game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Is it still spoilery to talk about the heart of thorns story? I'll tag it just to be safe.
The big plot point from Rata Novus is that each dragon has a weakness (and you blindly march right up to Mordremoth without even finding out what its weakness is which is dumb and reeks of rushed deadlines and hastily written ending). What was Zhaitan's? I know the really easy answer is "being shot with cannons" but would it be that you can kill its eyes and mouths to limit its influence? Or would it be something more direct like cutting off its tail makes it unable to fly?
Zhaitan's weakness was actually the corruption in Orr. Part of the story before you actually fight Zhaitan is to do that cleansing ritual in Orr. Once that was done a lot of his power was stripped and he was vulnerable to physical attacks. Mordremoth's weakness was that he was vulnerable inside The Dream, which is why you go fight his avatar inside The Dream to beat him at the end (and the physical fight at the end of the Dragon's Stand meta isn't killing Mordremoth at all, just driving back one of his physical avatars--his "body" is the plant matter in Maguuma, so he could only really be defeated "spiritually" I guess

CLAM DOWN posted:

"Dumbed down" is a terrible way to put it. I play videogames like GW2 to relax/blow off stress, turn off my brain, and not think excessively. Just because I enjoy things like hearts "holding my hand" or telling me where to go/what do do, doesn't mean I'm some kind of idiot who needs a dumbed down game.
Ding ding ding. This is why GW2 pushing *~*~*~*ESPORTZ~*~*~*~ is so dumb.

I have a job that I have to do lots of thinking at all day, what I love about (most of) GW2 is that I can come home, get stoned, and just enjoy myself without worrying too much about things.

• Locked thread