Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

AlphaKretin posted:

Who said we remember them fondly? One of the examples here is loving Head On, I won't speak for others but that sort of irritating poo poo just inspires spite, and I certainly won't buy it.

Devils advocate: can you name another smear-on headache remover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Chapstick, since they both have the same active ingredients, route of administration, and efficacy according to the FDA

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Somfin posted:

No, but that's because no others really exist, since it doesn't work. That's why they never talked about what the product actually does; it doesn't do anything, but they have to pretend it does.

It still sort of works for something like Head On, I imagine. Even ignoring that it's a sham product, I think there's value in pushing a medicine-based product in an annoying way that gets stuck in people's heads. It's not like you're making informed decisions when you're sick, you're unwell and probably frustrated. You don't want to make a slow and reasoned decision, you want to make a quick one, to stop feeling like poo poo sooner.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Somfin posted:

Pretty sure LSD works topically, kind of hit-or-miss for headaches though. Probably better than head-on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

IndustrialApe posted:

ad-networks work in mysterious ways, most providers are caught regularly offering up malware because they just don't screen their ads or run them from compromised servers. Which is why the whine about customers switching on adblockers after computer security experts identified them as infection vectors is such a hubris from content providers.

Something similar happened to us back when I worked on the AT&T portal page. Customers started complaining about virus alerts and after escalating the issue to management multiple times I learned there was a virus in our ad network feed, but that it's okay because it wasn't doing anything malicious. I hated that job so much.

Because we were a telco with lots of old customers who thought our homepage was the Internet, we made huge amounts of revenue from advertising. Something like 45 million dollars each year. So of course they gutted our relatively small department and outsourced everything to Yahoo. Yahoo then took 50% of that ad revenue. Nothing made sense there.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Pretty sure LSD works topically, kind of hit-or-miss for headaches though. Probably better than head-on.

But you might wind up with a few more issues.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Your department probably cost any decent company around 200k a head after wages, taxes, benefits, and equipment, so being able to cut even 5 people saves them around a million a year. Sure those people might not have been fired, but they could be shuffled into positions that would have otherwise been empty or into new positions and then they wouldn't have to pay for the new slots and the weeks/months of extra training to hire new people.

On top of that, you could probably blame the virus if the gutting happened within 2 years of the outbreak. I'm sure one of the early calls included a question asking the company why they were interested in outsourcing the page, and if a single manager ever let slip the virus or liability issues, then that's a real easy way for Yahoo to twist the knife. "Well, you obviously don't want to face that liability, so you see why your current ad network is actually a threat to your company. Thousands of your customers have been affected by your developers' negligence, and we need to make sure that they don't lose faith in your company or jump ship to your competitors. Since your current solution is no good, you're left with two options. You can try to build another in-house system which would have a lead time of around a year to create the new system and require the acquisition of a much more specialized development, management, sales, and legal team. Or you could simply partner with us and use our turn-key solution. Your new site can be live literally the same day, we will handle all of the liability and client sourcing, your customers will associate you with a brand that they can truly trust, and your company can enjoy a 50% share of our ad revenue!"

I can almost guarantee that it was sold as "we give you 50% of our revenue" as opposed to "it'll only cost you 50% of yours"

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

twistedmentat posted:

Dr Rebecca Watson

I think her full academic title is
Rebecca Watson

(no PhD)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

Your department probably cost any decent company around 200k a head after wages, taxes, benefits, and equipment, so being able to cut even 5 people saves them around a million a year. Sure those people might not have been fired, but they could be shuffled into positions that would have otherwise been empty or into new positions and then they wouldn't have to pay for the new slots and the weeks/months of extra training to hire new people.

On top of that, you could probably blame the virus if the gutting happened within 2 years of the outbreak. I'm sure one of the early calls included a question asking the company why they were interested in outsourcing the page, and if a single manager ever let slip the virus or liability issues, then that's a real easy way for Yahoo to twist the knife. "Well, you obviously don't want to face that liability, so you see why your current ad network is actually a threat to your company. Thousands of your customers have been affected by your developers' negligence, and we need to make sure that they don't lose faith in your company or jump ship to your competitors. Since your current solution is no good, you're left with two options. You can try to build another in-house system which would have a lead time of around a year to create the new system and require the acquisition of a much more specialized development, management, sales, and legal team. Or you could simply partner with us and use our turn-key solution. Your new site can be live literally the same day, we will handle all of the liability and client sourcing, your customers will associate you with a brand that they can truly trust, and your company can enjoy a 50% share of our ad revenue!"

I can almost guarantee that it was sold as "we give you 50% of our revenue" as opposed to "it'll only cost you 50% of yours"

Oh I'm sure there was some valid business reason for the move. Short term however it resulted in a pretty big loss. Long term they probably made out well enough since they eventually outsourced all the consumer email to Yahoo as well.

Advertising was just so hosed up. We started putting ads in front of all our media, including the kids section which played cartoons. This was 2008 or 2009 - so still a relatively new concept. The problem was the ad network displayed the same ads regardless of the target audience. So that Trojan condom ad and the promos for the new Sons of Anarchy? Yep. Right before the SpongeBob cartoons.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AlphaKretin posted:

Who said we remember them fondly? One of the examples here is loving Head On, I won't speak for others but that sort of irritating poo poo just inspires spite, and I certainly won't buy it.

But, but there's no such thing as bad publicity!

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

I don't know what happened but I tend to have some repeats but not the same one ad again and again. Also, I hate how people don't understand that Hulu is different in a lot of ways than Netflix, between first-run shows, exclusives like FX series and Criterion movies and Seinfeld, and whatnot. So yeah, they charge what they charge. I like it because it's cheaper and easier than getting cable and DVRing the things I want to watch.

Also, with some shows I like the break that commercials provide because of how writing tends to account for it.

It's a pay-to-watch streaming service that features movies and TV shows, some of which are exclusive. It is identical in every way to Netflix. comparing Hulu and Netflix is like comparing Showtime and HBO or Sears to Macy's. Obviously they offer different brands and services of varying quality, but they sell the same thing.

I'm glad you like the commercials though. You could buy some of the products too, or like their page on Facebook to show your solidarity as a consumer.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hulu has episodes up the next day while you might wait years for it to show up on Netflix. The commercials and monthly fee could be the only way to convince networks to allow that.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hulu isn't some third party company, it is the networks. Funny thing is that back when hulu was new the commercial free option that I just learned about was all I ever wanted out of the service, but after years of having cut the cable and ignoring hulu out of principle I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. I'm not one of those "I don't even own a tv" advocates, but I've completely weaned myself off of popular/current shows due to the networks' early unwillingness to adapt. If they offered commercial free from the beginning I'm sure I would have given them hundreds so far, but now I can't even be bothered to sign up for a trial

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

BrigadierSensible posted:

Remembering them puts zero dollars in their pockets at this very instant.

However, remembering them, and thinking fondly of them, puts money in their pockets two or three months down the track when you need one of teh products they make, and are in the supermarket aisle faced with 5 different brands. You will pick the brand you know/remember/feel fondly about.

That is what 'brand recognition' is all about.

You just proved my point that remembering the product is only halfway there.

Head On and now Daily Fantasy Sports would make an interesting case study for their advertising being so obnoxious and hated that it brought about attention that eventually ended up ruining them. (The FDA telling people it's fake and the government figuring out "yeah this is gambling")

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

Hulu has episodes up the next day while you might wait years for it to show up on Netflix. The commercials and monthly fee could be the only way to convince networks to allow that.

That makes sense, I didn't realize they posted shows they had the rights to the next day. If they are owned by the networks then, the same commercial over and over and over makes even less sense.

Someone, Somewhere HAS to know that's a bad idea.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My beef with Hulu is their inconsistency. I tried to convince my wife to cut the cord. We were all set to switch to Aereo and use a combination of TV show subscriptions, Netflix, and Hulu to cancel U-Verse. But no, all the Food Network and Cooking channel shows she likes, which are listed as available on Hulu's site, turned out to be web browser only.

Obviously our plan would've crashed and burned with Aereo, although the savings could have justified installing a kick rear end OTA antenna and using a Tivo Roamio OTA box.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

malal posted:

That makes sense, I didn't realize they posted shows they had the rights to the next day. If they are owned by the networks then, the same commercial over and over and over makes even less sense.

Someone, Somewhere HAS to know that's a bad idea.

They show the same ads over and over because nobody wants to pay them for online ads. They have nothing to show.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I keep seeing this YouTube ad for a poo poo anime game called Sword of Chaos. They blurred out the cleavage of all the ladies so it looks like everyone is fighting with their tits hanging out :pwn:

Can't link it because the non-ad trailer doesn't have the censoring. It got me to not immediately skip the ad, so... good job?

FutonForensic has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Dec 10, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At this point the streaming services are mostly about what content they have. Netflix is focusing on original TV shows and deemphasizing feature films because they have data which shows more people use it to binge TV, and their original programming is popular. Hulu+ has some original stuff but is more about current TV and feature films.

And the movies don't have ad breaks so I've actually been using the service more for that than TV. It's weird that they've sort of switched places.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

FutonForensic posted:

I keep seeing this YouTube ad for a poo poo anime game called Sword of Chaos. They blurred out the cleavage of all the ladies so it looks like everyone is fighting with their tits hanging out :pwn:

Can't link it because the non-ad trailer doesn't have the censoring. It got me to not immediately skip the ad, so... good job?

Checked out some screenshots and yeah, the advertising it just like that of Game of War or whatever. Push it with sexy things, people will click and install the game, and then get something completely different. Same thing like all of those Iso Age of Empires knockoffs that were being spewed out, but this time more of a budget Gauntlet style game without all the fun.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Krispy Kareem posted:

My beef with Hulu is their inconsistency. I tried to convince my wife to cut the cord. We were all set to switch to Aereo and use a combination of TV show subscriptions, Netflix, and Hulu to cancel U-Verse. But no, all the Food Network and Cooking channel shows she likes, which are listed as available on Hulu's site, turned out to be web browser only.

Obviously our plan would've crashed and burned with Aereo, although the savings could have justified installing a kick rear end OTA antenna and using a Tivo Roamio OTA box.

I got comcast for my basic tv channels, partially because my local reception sucks, and partially because it makes my high speed internet cheaper. But one benefit from it is I get On Demand services. This includes next day availability of the few broadcast shows I watch, just like Hulu. Also like Hulu, these include non-skippable ads (the fast forward button doesn't work if the ads are playing. Comcast is canny). However, even THEY know not to just inundate you with the same ad over and over again. I think they go lazy and just include all the network-wide ads that played during the live broadcast, but I could be wrong. However, you do sometimes see weird things like "So and so, coming on next!" There's something more acceptable about the ads being on the tv rather than the computer, I dunno what it is. Habit?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Bit of a palate cleanser and I'm sure a lot of you have seen these before (and they may have been posted in this very thread) but I was just reminded of these great German ads:
For Edeka, a supermarket:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQyjI7UsGTU

Blixa Bargeld reads the Hornbach catalogue (hardware store)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6DqRlG1YWU

Translation:
Flying Insect Destroyer with blue lamp: 72 watts, CE approved. Works fast, painless and Hygienic. Chemical free, environmentally friendly. Hornbach, there is always a solution. [sic. there is always something to be done]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gRQAZ93ihY
Translation: Impact Drill PSB 1000 RCA, 1010 Watt. With integrated dust extraction. Maximum drill performance in concrete 16mm, maximum torque 17 newton meters. Auto-lock, incidence angle control. Hornbach, there is always a solution.

edit:Translation might actually hurt the poetry but gently caress it it's there for anyone who is interested.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 01:26 on Dec 12, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NLJP posted:

Bit of a palate cleanser and I'm sure a lot of you have seen these before (and they may have been posted in this very thread) but I was just reminded of these great German ads:
For Edeka, a supermarket:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQyjI7UsGTU

Blixa Bargeld reads the Hornbach catalogue (hardware store)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6DqRlG1YWU

Translation:
Flying Insect Destroyer with blue lamp: 72 watts, CE approved. Works fast, painless and Hygienic. Chemical free, environmentally friendly. Hornbach, there is always a solution. [sic. there is always something to be done]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gRQAZ93ihY
Translation: Impact Drill PSB 1000 RCA, 1010 Watt. With integrated dust extraction. Maximum drill performance in concrete 16mm, maximum torque 17 newton meters. Auto-lock, incidence angle control. Hornbach, there is always a solution.

edit:Translation might actually hurt the poetry but gently caress it it's there for anyone who is interested.

The bargeld ones own. But is that the same supermarket that above did the weird one with the old guy who owns because he fakes his own death to achieve dinner?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The bargeld ones own. But is that the same supermarket that above did the weird one with the old guy who owns because he fakes his own death to achieve dinner?

Haha I looked back a few pages and turns our you're right. Well, it's not like I'd claim all Hornbach adverts are up to the bar the Blixa ones set either.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Mentioned this a few pages ago, but now it's gone full-blown head-up-rear end:
Quick Summary: Honda ad campaign aims to dissolve perception of car salespeople as dishonest and greedy. Honda dealers go around doing "random acts of kindness"
Today, I saw a claymation commercial, where an animated honda dealer buys trees for a lot of claymation people. Claymation, as in "not real."
So A. they're being kinda dishonest about being "helpful," since no one real is being helped, but they are portraying themselves as helpful
B. They're too greedy to just go buy a few trees for real people
Great job, ad wizards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7MZUHfYVB8

Whomever said ads just sell ads, I'm using that. Good summary.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've been seeing some commercials lately with this stick figure character that are narrated by Steve Blum. Guy must be getting desperate, it's weird hearing Spike Spiegel shilling for Popeyes.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Drunk Nerds posted:

Quick Summary: Honda ad campaign aims to dissolve perception of car salespeople as dishonest and greedy. Honda dealers go around doing "random acts of kindness"
Today, I saw a claymation commercial, where an animated honda dealer buys trees for a lot of claymation people. Claymation, as in "not real."
So A. they're being kinda dishonest about being "helpful," since no one real is being helped, but they are portraying themselves as helpful
B. They're too greedy to just go buy a few trees for real people
Great job, ad wizards
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7MZUHfYVB8

Whomever said ads just sell ads, I'm using that. Good summary.

You're reading way too much into this. The ad is meant to evoke feelings of happy nostalgia for those lovely old claymation christmas cartoons everyone watched back in the 80s. They even use several of the characters. I mean you're not wrong, but that's not what most people will get from the ad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Honda dealer gives away free cars to flood victims

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/honda-dealer-gives-away-free-cars-to-flood-victims/

quote:

In a post on its Facebook page, Kendal Honda announced that each day it is planning to donate one of its trade cars in the run up to Christmas, starting today with a 1999 Mercedes C-class.

“All of us here at Kendal Honda would like to offer our deepest sympathies to everyone in our fantastic area that has been affected by the recent storms and subsequent flooding,” the post reads.
“We have been racking our brains as to what we can do to help some of the families affected by this awful situation so close to Christmas and have decided the thing we have to hand and that lots of people may need at the moment are cars. So we would like to donate one of our trade cars each day to someone you know who lives in our local area and has been affected by the recent floods.”

The post goes on to say that while the cars might not be in perfect condition, all will be safe to drive and come with 12 months MoT. It is then up to the new owner to set up tax and insurance.

Meanwhile, a genuine act of kindness from a Honda dealer that didn't come from the corporate marketing dept and that actually makes me want to buy from them.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My area had major flooding last summer, and no local dealerships stepped in to help any drat body. :mad:

I still replaced my beloved, flood-totaled Corolla with an Accord, though. Their future act-of-kindness disguised marketing was just that good.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It'll be fun to find out later that the cars were flood-damaged and therefore unsellable but the dealer got to write off the full value

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sentient Data posted:

It'll be fun to find out later that the cars were flood-damaged and therefore unsellable but the dealer got to write off the full value

Considering the deal theyre giving with it, I doubt it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

The cars are all made out of constantly-chafing asbestos.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I tried looking up the english language honda kindness claymation ads. The first one I saw had a dealer help angels win a snowball fight who were too pacifist to throw themselves, by recruiting a snowman. Yep, that's the kind of kindness I look for when buying a car alright. Imaginary kindness.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Wanamingo posted:

I've been seeing some commercials lately with this stick figure character that are narrated by Steve Blum. Guy must be getting desperate, it's weird hearing Spike Spiegel shilling for Popeyes.

I think it's less him being desperate and more a burning desire to be a voice in literally everything ever

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, with some shows I like the break that commercials provide because of how writing tends to account for it.

Or when they provide unintentional humor, like the infamous BSG/Campbell's soup juxtapostion: Character shoots herself in the head, graphic shot of blood pooling everywhere ---> cut to commercial with a cracker slo-mo splashing into a bowl of tomato soup. Walking Dead's known for running KFC ads right after zombie chowdowns, and Fear the Walking Dead ran US Army ads during the episode wherein our heroes discover that the military evacuating their neighborhood are a bunch of cowardly, self-serving assholes.

Unrelated: There was an ad for a pickup truck several years back --- I want to say it was a Toyota, or the Nissan Titan or somesuch --- that for most of the ad was a slo-mo shot of this truck skidding sideways over wet pavement. Not only was that model ugly as gently caress, but I'd always catch myself thinking, "and why do I want a truck with such poor handling/traction that this 'professional driver, do not attempt' can't control it?" (I tried to find the ad on YT, but no joy.)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Or when they provide unintentional humor, like the infamous BSG/Campbell's soup juxtapostion: Character shoots herself in the head, graphic shot of blood pooling everywhere ---> cut to commercial with a cracker slo-mo splashing into a bowl of tomato soup.

I'd never heard of this one since I didn't watch it on regular TV, here it is (and :nms: warning since it does involve a gunshot wound, of course)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zcum6lPrRo

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sentient Data posted:

I'd never heard of this one since I didn't watch it on regular TV, here it is (and :nms: warning since it does involve a gunshot wound, of course)

Hahaha, holy poo poo. I incorrectly remembered the product (it's for the crackers, not soup), but until watching that video you posted I didn't notice the bit about the lyrics in the song. Pro-click.

Anyone else know of some good content/ad break gaffs?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Sentient Data posted:

There is no way in hell this wasn't intentional, and I want to high-five the dude that did it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sentient Data posted:

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Sentient Data posted:

That's amazing.