Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You can now buy the Pixel C tablet on the Google store.

You shouldn't, but you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rastor posted:

Just did, thanks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

Yeah, Engadget and Ars both slammed it pretty bad today.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

"...no Android tablet is worth your time."

Holy poo poo Ars!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wonder if the reviews would have been different if the Pixel C was running Chrome OS.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, Engadget and Ars both slammed it pretty bad today.

Engadget gave a 77 and seemed at least intrigued by it. That'd slamming these days?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, this feels like Google got their hardware and software departments out of sync. I'm betting that real multi-window support was supposed to launch with this but got pushed back. But, they have the hardware now and didn't want to hold back.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

AlexF posted:

Engadget gave a 77 and seemed at least intrigued by it. That'd slamming these days?

When their scale is pretty much 70-100 it is

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

AlexF posted:

I don't look at scores. The title of the article was "Google's first tablet makes rookie mistakes" and basically sums up that the thing is hard to recommend. When you flat out say that you can't recommend buying something in a review, that's pretty much a slam on the device regardless of how much you may like the pieces that make it up.

It's an impressively designed piece of hardware running software that isn't designed for the form factor. Unless you are within a small niche that this serves, it isn't worth considering until Google does something more with Android.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

teagone posted:

I wonder if the reviews would have been different if the Pixel C was running Chrome OS.

Honestly? They'd probably be considerably worse reviews in that case.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

fishmech posted:

Honestly? They'd probably be considerably worse reviews in that case.

Why do you say that?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

teagone posted:

Why do you say that?

Why would you pay $500 for a device that can't run apps? (don't even get me started on the Pixel)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

teagone posted:

Why do you say that?

ChromeOS is even less suited to the Pixel C's hardware than Android currently is. Honestly the thing should have had a touchpad if it was going to have the keyboard thing.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rastor posted:

Already did. All the complaints boil down to "whaa, whaa, Android has no tablet Apps" while mostly liking the hardware. Since I actually like the tablet Apps Android has and use them daily (as I wrote surely enough poo poo about) it sounds pretty much perfect and exactly what I want.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fishmech posted:

ChromeOS is even less suited to the Pixel C's hardware than Android currently is. Honestly the thing should have had a touchpad if it was going to have the keyboard thing.

Fishmech, despite his known hatred of ChromeOS, is right. While ChromeOS is touch-enabled it's not good at it and you wouldn't want a ChromeOS tablet which the Pixel C is first and foremost.

Now if it could do both? Maybe, but now we're in fantasyland. Amadeo really nailed it when he said it's like the hardware and software people never talked.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty torn. I want a N10 replacement but it annoys me that Android is such a mediocre experience on tablets. I don't care about the keyboard and as a tablet this is as good as it gets right now but it's also £400.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I really wish storage wasn't such an arbitrary driver of price points. Add 32 GB to your Nexus 6P? +$50. Add the same amount to the Pixel? +$100. Makes sense. :downs:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Decius posted:

Since I actually like the tablet Apps Android has and use them daily (as I wrote surely enough poo poo about) it sounds pretty much perfect and exactly what I want.
That's pretty much how I felt about it. Mine gets here tomorrow so I'll post a review from that perspective. I don't need the keyboard at all but went ahead and bought it anyway just in case.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Tunga posted:

I'm pretty torn. I want a N10 replacement but it annoys me that Android is such a mediocre experience on tablets. I don't care about the keyboard and as a tablet this is as good as it gets right now but it's also £400.

Yeah, I think this is right.

If you're OK with the Android tablet experience and the price doesn't put you off, the Pixel C is a fine choice.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Though some of the reviews are reporting touchscreen issues which I'm absolutely not fine with.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
I'm giving up on Android tablets for the foreseeable future, my i7 Surface Pro 4 arrived today. Think about that Google, you drove me to pay Microsoft 3x more than your Pixel C and change to a larger form factor because these devices can't reach an acceptable level of function (especially when Chrome on Android can't handle browsing comparably).

It's a drat shame because I have used my Nexus 9 exhaustively and this is the conclusion I've reached, it's not the janky Nexus 9 I can't deal with anymore, it's things like the aforementioned Chrome issues, I could probably give the Pixel C a chance if I thought it could at least compare for web browsing, one of the most important functions for these devices, but Chrome sucks by comparison on Android in TYOOL 2015. (Possibly worse for Firefox)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I mean, I'm typing this from a brand new Android tablet and all, but if I was going to be spending $500+ on a tablet Android would be my third choice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still just want a proper Nexus 7 replacement.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
This $35 Fire still meeting a poo poo load of needs.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Firefox works great on both phones and tablets, it's even got full extension capability. It's totally unlike Chrome on mobile's arbitrary feature subtractions compared to desktop/laptop.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I don't like that all new Android tablets are going to 4:3. I get that it's better for webpages, but it really sucks for movies and comics. Are any major manufacturers making next gen in 16:9 still?

McLarenF1 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 10, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

McLarenF1 posted:

I don't like that all new Android tablets are going to 4:3. I get that it's better for webpages, but it really sucks for movies and comics. Are any major manufacturers making next gen in 16:9 still?
:agreed:

Tablets should be 16:9 for maximum comic bookness.

The Xperia Z2 tablet is 16:9 and the Z4 is 16:10. The Fire HDX 8.9 is 16:10

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 10, 2015

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

McLarenF1 posted:

They never made any in 16:9. Everything was either 16:10 or 1024×600 which is approximately 17:10. Samsung just came out with a 18.4” 16:9 tablet/tv. The closest reasonably-sized option is the 10.2" 12.8:9 Pixel C. You can still find plenty of manufacturers cranking out lovely 1280×800 and 1024×600 tablets, too.

Syrinxx posted:

The Xperia Z2 tablet is 16:9
It's 1920×1200 which is 16:10.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 10, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any one know if decent tablet mounting solutions? I'm looking for a mount for my grandmother for her bed. Not opposed to having to screw things in to secure them. I know RAM Mounts makes tablet holders and has screw in mounting bases for them. If anyone had any other suggestions I would like to know though.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I recommend a 'gooseneck' design similar to this as a starting point:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/12/the-pixel-cs-bumpy-road-from-chrome-os-concept-to-android-adoptee/

Very interesting. Some sleuthing was done against the source code and it paints the Pixel C as having a troubled design cycle. It looks like it started development as a way to launch touch Chrome OS, passed though a point where they considered creating a hybrid Chrome OS/Android device, and finally came to rest as it currently ships.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Fascinating insight into how google works - it took them a year to go from planning to building hardware, and then two months to paste Android on it. I guess you can also tell they weren't confident about a release date due to missing black Friday.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In a way, it's a testament to Android's flexibility that they were able to get shipping code on that hardware target so fast. However, it does call into question their long term commitment to this device. This hardware wasn't built to be a Android tablet for productivity. If Google intends to enhance Android for productivity with N, will they use the Pixel C as a reference hardware target for that design or will they further tweak the hardware target for such features leaving the C as a bastard child?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Whatever they do for the next one, it should throw the 4+4 core design in the trash the way phone makers already did a few years back. It's simply too complex to be reliable.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

Found out yesterday that they didn't bother to put GPS on this thing. Makes sense since a ChromeOS device wouldn't really need it. I definitely want GPS on an Android tablet. Still not completely decided but leaning away from it right now.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

butt dickus posted:

It's 1920×1200 which is 16:10.
Yep you're right, thanks

Comic books are 1.53:1 which makes 1.6:1 (16:10) the best choice to read them. There are still plenty of tablets sporting that ratio. gently caress 4:3 and gently caress the iPad :colbert:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tunga posted:

Found out yesterday that they didn't bother to put GPS on this thing. Makes sense since a ChromeOS device wouldn't really need it. I definitely want GPS on an Android tablet. Still not completely decided but leaning away from it right now.

An exclusion like that seems pretty shortsighted even for a hypothetical ChromeOS tablet, really. It's hard to see the application on the notebook form factor, but convertible/tablet it seems straightforward.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Syrinxx posted:

Comic books are 1.53:1 which makes 1.6:1 (16:10) the best choice to read them. There are still plenty of tablets sporting that ratio.

Such as?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sir Unimaginative posted:

An exclusion like that seems pretty shortsighted even for a hypothetical ChromeOS tablet, really. It's hard to see the application on the notebook form factor, but convertible/tablet it seems straightforward.
If you assume that you aren't using GPS for navigation on a tablet without a cell connection (which you might dispute but I consider to be reasonable) then it does kind of make sense for ChromeOS to not have GPS. When you load Google Maps in full-fat Chrome it will take the location of your Android device and use that as your location so you just don't need it. You open Maps and it says "oh I see your phone, you are here". The Android app, however, simply doesn't offer this. Either your current device has GPS or you're stuck with Wi-Fi-based location (which is far less reliable and may simply not work at all if you're not in a big-ish town).

It honestly all makes a lot more sense having read the Ars article. While I agree that ChromeOS is not at all the finished article for a tablet I'd much rather have a Pixel C running ChromeOS with proper touch support than an Android tablet with a keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Such as?

The Shield tablet has a 1920x1200 screen.