Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Just completed Dominion, feels good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Banana Man posted:

Just completed Dominion, feels good

Was the end-boss as tough as people say? What did you think of the graphics in the ending cinematic?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I've only ever backed 2 Kickstarters and the experiences have been completed opposites. The first was Euphoria and Stonemaier Games really knows how to deliver when it comes to updates and timely products. I also more recently backed the new edition of High Frontier for some reason instead of just getting it for much cheaper at retail and the game is now 2 months late with extremely minimal updates. I don't really mind as I have other games to play but they get extremely defensive when people start asking for updates on the Kickstarter page. Well, if they respond at all that is.

I look forward to flying my spaceships around in the future though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there anything out there that scratches the ol' Blood Bowl itch?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Zveroboy posted:

I know Catan is much maligned (and with good reason) but Cities & Knights make it bearable for me (I'm still open to recommendations for the niche of "civilisations building and management game that lasts ~2 hours") and the game we played on Saturday was actually quite enjoyable.

Check out The Golden Ages. I played it a few times at PAX aus and it seemed fast, replayable and reasonably balanced. 60-90 minute playtime depending on number of players and experience level.

CaptainRightful posted:

Unrelated, my girlfriend found this:

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/6/9851954/board-game-flowchart

It's not great, but it's surprisingly not completely worthless either. It gets better as you scroll down. At least a third of the chart should be replaced with Codenames, though.

Jesus christ that thing is still going around? I really need to make a better one.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Das Doppelganger posted:

If I didn't have an as of yet unplayed copy sitting here I would be very bummed about this. Yes, this is lame project backer* whining, but could you ship to your individual backers first so their neighbor doesn't show up with a copy off the internet before you ever see yours?

*CSI may very well have been a backer for mass quantities and just got it before I did, but golly it's taken a long time to get that shipped out. They should be starting to send this week anyhow. I hope.

To be fair the Kickstarter was for the digital version of Twilight Struggle, with the physical copies being rewards for greater contributions to the Kickstarter. But yeah about shipping to backer/direct orders first, or at least simultaneously. I'm getting a copy sometime this month as part of GMT's P500, but I get to pay $57 vs the $39 CSI is charging.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I had the opportunity to play Above and Below tonight, and while I'm glad that I played it, it's not something I'm rushing out to buy. It's a pleasant game, with some tableau building, recruitment of villagers, management of income and resources, etc. It also has a wonderful little adventure booklet, *kinda* similar to Arabian Nights, but not quite as harsh. As the game progresses, you can build out your little village above ground and below, but in order to have buildings below ground, you need to send your villagers out to explore the caverns. This provides a nice storytelling mechanism and is a great diversion from the more euro-y resource management end of the game.

However, towards the very end I was feeling pulled in opposite directions. The optimal play involved using my villagers to collect resources, but part of me really wanted to send them out on one last adventure. I feel like this kinda detracted from the game, like it can't decide if it wants to be a Feldian point salad or a simplified Arabian Nights.

That's not enough to sink it though, but here is what is: There's only like 250 or so entries in the story book, and the owner admitted that having only played it three times, she was already seeing the same entries come up multiple times. It doesn't kill my desire to ever play it again, but it certainly will prevent me from buying it for myself. A game like this should have had an entire tome, much like Arabian Nights, with thousands of entries. They could probably release expansions by just selling new encounter books, but really that's just rubbing salt in the wound since you'll start seeing duplicates in those after only a few plays.

Above and Below isn't a bad game. I like the concept, I like the mechanics, and the artwork and components are nice. But it falls just short of being something that, to me, would be a must-own, and that's almost worse than being a straight up bad game.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, there's Blood Bowl. There's a new digital version out, as well as the old java version. And the LRB6 rules are still publicly available, if you wanna build a set at home. (It's not like you need Official Games Workshop Products. The only thing you really NEED is the custom dice, and there are a plethora of knockoffs available online.)

As for other fantasy sports games, uh, I've heard vaguely alright things about Kaosball, if you can get past the CMON titty-miniature surcharge? Maybe?

Look, if we're all very lucky, GW will collapse soon, Fantasy Flight will buy all their IP, and we'll finally get the shiny new tabletop edition we deserve.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Gutter Owl posted:

Well, there's Blood Bowl. There's a new digital version out, as well as the old java version. And the LRB6 rules are still publicly available, if you wanna build a set at home. (It's not like you need Official Games Workshop Products. The only thing you really NEED is the custom dice, and there are a plethora of knockoffs available online.)

As for other fantasy sports games, uh, I've heard vaguely alright things about Kaosball, if you can get past the CMON titty-miniature surcharge? Maybe?

Look, if we're all very lucky, GW will collapse soon, Fantasy Flight will buy all their IP, and we'll finally get the shiny new tabletop edition we deserve.

There's Dreadball by Mantic which is also supposed to be pretty good, though I don't play it myself.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Gutter Owl posted:

Kaosball is really not going to scratch the same itch Bloodbowl will. A lot of the fiddly bits that give it life (HOW injured are you?) have been streamlined out to make the game move faster. And it does! But there's no rules for passing, and attacking or tackling is done BEFORE you move a player, so much of the game is about setting up zones that the enemy players don't want to run through. It's much more of an area-control style game then Bloodbowl is. Also, tackling and ball-stealing is resolved via playing cards that all come from the same deck, so you can have all the fun of rolling poorly, only you get to know you're about to have a bad quarter ahead of time because you drew a hand of hot garbage.

OTOH, I really like all the individual team abilities, but not enough to want to get the game to the table ahead of multiple other games. I really do need to get around to selling it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
how the helling buttshit did susd rate mascarade higher than loving coup?!

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Broken Loose posted:

Because it's like totally zanier. I'm saving my outrage for when the Plaid Hat games start checking in on the countdown.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Broken Loose posted:

It's Just Fun TM

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Bubble-T posted:

Jesus christ that thing is still going around? I really need to make a better one.

It's pretty bad, which is why I made mine earlier this year.

I probably need to update it and fix the spacing and stuff though. And put Codenames (and other games) on there.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Broken Loose posted:

At least Coup's on their list at all, I think it got left out last year, despite being one of their top three games the year it came out?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Picked up and played new games tonight.

7 Wonders Duel is much better than I imagined. We played it twice and both games were within 10 points. Lots of back and forth tug of war since you are directly competing and it's much easier to know what they're building towards than in a larger game of 7 Wonders. It also plays very fast. I can see this easily passing 7 Wonders for me (2 players is a plus for me). I know it's weird to compare the two, but this seems like a perfect step up from Jaipur, which is my wife's favorite game. A lot of similar feel in this game.

Steampunk Rally is still good on the third play. I built a huge vehicle and on the last round just generated a ton of dice and movement and blew everything up. I won by 1 space, 2nd place had a very small and efficient vehicle the whole game, and the other two were beginners. I will say, it gets a little long in the tooth about 75% of the way through with slow players. I think in the future with new players I'll just shorten the track by 1-2 tiles when teaching new people.

Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game is also a good surprise. Each character only has 4 cards (and can gain upgraded versions/gear) which are the actions (explore, rest, aid, attack). Once used, they're exhausted until you use the specific one that restores all exhausted actions, which varies for each character. The dice mechanics are good too. You can never really fail an action, it's just a matter of how much success you roll and rolling to see if the monster you are engaged with will attack you. You can also do some really fun team work using each characters aid card, which lets you add successes to another character's future action of your choice. Playing through the tutorial was easy, but the first quest makes the game seem really loving hard. It comes with 4 classes, a 5 quests campaign, 1 quest which is basically a random dungeon dive generator, and a lot of equipment/monsters/locations cards. Very happy with it for a card based coop dungeon crawler for $25.

Didn't play it tonight, but Roll for the Galaxy: Ambition looks good, and the entire base game + Ambition fits in the smaller expansion. More shelf space is always good and the game fits in my motorcycle bag now, which rules.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 10, 2015

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
My Kickstarter order for Click Clack Lumberjack finally shipped, hooray. Glad it'll be here in time for the holidays, my girlfriend and I were planning on bringing it to her family gathering.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

bobvonunheil posted:

I probably need to update it and fix the spacing and stuff though. And put Codenames (and other games) on there.

My eyes hurt, but that's pretty drat good.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Some Numbers posted:

My eyes hurt.

Yeah, I know. I'll fix it for the 2016 edition

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kai Tave posted:

There's Dreadball by Mantic which is also supposed to be pretty good, though I don't play it myself.

It is, although I'm selling on my set because I don't really get to play it. It's a bit dicey, but the game lasts a maximum of 14 turns and the board doesn't reset between goals so it's much faster than BB. There's also some truly hilarious lore in the rulebooks, like how Teraton teams (Teratons are a race of teleporting dinosaurs) aren't allowed to use cheerleaders of their own species because the females weigh multiple tons and the one time they tried it the entire squad went straight through the stadium floor.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

It is, although I'm selling on my set because I don't really get to play it. It's a bit dicey, but the game lasts a maximum of 14 turns and the board doesn't reset between goals so it's much faster than BB. There's also some truly hilarious lore in the rulebooks, like how Teraton teams (Teratons are a race of teleporting dinosaurs) aren't allowed to use cheerleaders of their own species because the females weigh multiple tons and the one time they tried it the entire squad went straight through the stadium floor.

Some of the Dreadball fluff I've picked up in passing is pretty good, yeah. Like how one of the Dreadball teams is made up of cloned specimens of this one bug-monster alien race that the big corporate powers are trying to wage war on but the way they move and act is so horrifyingly unnerving to their troops that the corporate soldiers are getting slaughtered left and right. So what do they do? Clone a bunch of'em and have them play space rugby! The idea being that when people get used to seeing them in the Dreadball arena (and watch them get beat by some good ol' human teams) that they'll be more psychologically capable of facing them out in the field. And it's actually working.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Can anyone fill me in on the main differences between Kings of New York and Tokyo?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
One is older and the other one is better.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Any recommendations for good board games around the theme of Evolution. This oddly specific theme is the request I have been given, without any specifics of what the game itself is like, so I imagine it's the development of an animal to adapt to its surroundings.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Dominant Species? :v:

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

potatocubed posted:

Can anyone fill me in on the main differences between Kings of New York and Tokyo?

For me, KoT remains firmly a good gateway game to get non-gamers into the hobby, while still being quite fun. Ita quite simple with a fun theme and wacky abilities. But its essentially Yahtzee with risk reward and big monsters.

KoNY takes the premise and tries to make it into more of a gamers game. So multiple areas, places to target your destruction for bonuses, etc. But ultimately I feel its not accessible enough to be a gateway game, yet still essentially a dice roller enough to ever make it a solid gamers game I would pick over better designed ones.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fat Turkey posted:

Any recommendations for good board games around the theme of Evolution. This oddly specific theme is the request I have been given, without any specifics of what the game itself is like, so I imagine it's the development of an animal to adapt to its surroundings.

Neanderthal? Sort of?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah honestly, dominant species is really good. It's also really long and hard.

Just won 3p last night as reptiles, I just barfed suns everywhere and got myself a third one. Never play with the get extra pawns cards, holy poo poo that took too long.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Tekopo posted:

Dominant Species? :v:

That one struck me but I think he's after something a bit more literally meaning with features of animals rather than the general species as a whole. Also DS is a big game if I recall, think maybe 60-90 minutes is more appropriate.

I mean I'm not sure a game like this exists but I could see it existing!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/107255/evo-second-edition

or

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/124/primordial-soup

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fat Turkey posted:

You can always go with Evolution

It's surprisingly good, and literally about what you describe. It's much lighter than Dominant Species though, more ameritrashy too - I find it really accessible and it plays well with up to 6. You develop species that feed from a communal food source, until somebody decides to go carnivore and eat everyone else. Basically you're always trying to adapt your species and support as many as possible.

I wrote a thing about it back when I was doing my blog in earnest if you want to read a short summary of it.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
A co-worker just asked me if I was interested in trying a game her husband got from kicsktarter this week. Turns out it was Assault on Doomrock. She is "not fond of games that take more than an hour", so I wonder how a session of this game would actually go down. From what I understand, this game is on the 3 hour mark. I really like some of the mechanics while glossing over the videos though. What is the hivemind's take?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

bobvonunheil posted:

You should make this into a Twine game so it's actually easy to use and not just an impressive-looking mess of lines.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's Frozen Synapse Cortex, a PC game that works similarly to BB. It has asynchronous multiplayer and comes with a 2nd copy to give away.

Edit: I meant Frozen Cortex, of course.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 10, 2015

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Fat Turkey posted:

On the less complex side, (well than DS, it still has a 3.1 on BGG so it's meaty) Inhabit the Earth is supposed to be pretty good. Just came out this year, Richard Breese shop (Keyflower feller): https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/181797/inhabit-earth

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Oldstench posted:

I really (really) loving hate it when people (mostly nerds on the internet it seems) overuse parentheticals in their (usually badly thought out) arguments.

The entertaining thing, I think (or one of them) is that while it offers randomness, it offers 'euro-permissable' randomness, which is how I think (because I have too much time on my hands?) of randomness that applies equally to everybody (at least in theory). At least in the actual flight phase (which tiles you draw first doesn't qualify).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

PerniciousKnid posted:

There's Frozen Synapse, a PC game that works similarly to BB. It has asynchronous multiplayer and comes with a 2nd copy to give away.

Wait, what? How does it work similarly to BB? You order your dudes for the next 5 seconds and then it goes to real time with simultaneous movement, to say nothing about the theme, which is military skirmishes. It's more similar to Space Alert (and robo rally? I haven't played anything with programming besides Space Alert) than anything.

Am I missing a game I could be playing instead of giving money to Cyanide?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

The entertaining thing, I think (or one of them) is that while it offers randomness, it offers 'euro-permissable' randomness, which is how I think (because I have too much time on my hands?) of randomness that applies equally to everybody (at least in theory). At least in the actual flight phase (which tiles you draw first doesn't qualify).

Reiner Knizia, Hans Teuber, and Wolfgang Kramer are no longer europeans, didn't invent euros

Also I've heard some mixed reviews on Inhabit the Earth (from people who like Keyflower), anyone played that one yet?

e:

Fat Samurai posted:

Wait, what? How does it work similarly to BB? You order your dudes for the next 5 seconds and then it goes to real time with simultaneous movement, to say nothing about the theme, which is military skirmishes. It's more similar to Space Alert (and robo rally? I haven't played anything with programming besides Space Alert) than anything.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/24/wot-i-think-frozen-cortex/

Never played it, myself. I think Bloodbowl is pretty neat for reasons that seem really counterintuitive and I don't fully comprehend, so I'm a little wary of someone trying to imitate it because in theory it should be horrible

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 10, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Guild Ball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Fat Samurai posted:

He means Frozen Cortex, the sequel to Synapse with a football theme