Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
As we're all throwing out PSN IDs I'm theyear199X feel free to add me.

I have 4.1 and 2, but my vita is going to stay off for a few days while a refund is processed from a gently caress up I did earlier so I'm preferring 4.1 for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I might never bother with Infantry or Pale Wing in EDF2 Portable, because the Air Raider is just that awesome. I've been at it for an hour and I've got a dozen different bombers, gunships, cruise missiles, artillery, and orbital lasers I can call in to obliterate everything in sight. It's true that below ground, none of those work and you have to carry your own guns like some plebe, but you can still fill those tunnels with flying nails or shoot webs just like the spiders' because let's see how you loving like it you shits :getin:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Alright, just started this, and it seems pretty cool. I'm playing as an air raider. Is there any way to sprint? The movement is infuriatingly slow

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pale Wing can hop around quickly with her jetpack. Air Raiders are pretty much out of luck.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Day Man posted:

Alright, just started this, and it seems pretty cool. I'm playing as an air raider. Is there any way to sprint? The movement is infuriatingly slow

rolling is faster than running

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Day Man posted:

Call a vehicle and drive around, or spam roll.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

psn: mera_mendacia

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Section Z posted:

Which is a shame because when it's working out for me, Wing Diver is way more fun than Ranger. Hey ants? Get turbo hosed my lightning shotgun says hi. ahahahahahahah oh I have to shoot down a UFO now, gently caress. I can only imagine what dealing with the ceiling plates will be like later if I'm this terrible with what is clearly way more cool class than Ranger (because holy poo poo is it amazing when it clicks for me).

Worst case scenario you can just fly up inside the ufo, stand inside it on the doors when they close to recharge, and blast it when it opens.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The room BUG BUSTING BUDDIES! is up on PS4. Continuing through the campaign on hard (up to mission 16). If you need to do an earlier mission to get some hard-acceptable guns just lemme know when you join. Join the room or message gimearubdown on psn.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'm Halgreth on PSN and haven't played this game in forever so it'll probably be this weekend before I actually play online.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

lets hang out posted:

rolling is faster than running

Roll sideways erryday.

I think I posted this before, but for all the new activity here's a repost. I've put together a bit of a playlist of songs that I feel are entertaining to play EDF to. Please feel free to send me suggestions for more songs.

Youtube version or Spotify version

Each one has a few songs the other doesn't!

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 10, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

loving wing diver. if you want to move fast be wing diver.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I really want to play Fencer but they just seem so bad compared to everyone else. Their melee is great but the big guns don't seem to do enough damage for how cumbersome they are to use. Mission 23 or so with all the Hectors seems impossible without guns from a higher difficulty.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol mission 11 is hosed on hard mode now

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Can I just make a note how loving rad it is that the only game I've bought in 2015 to have a full colour manual is Earth fuckin' Defense Force 4.1?

like, the game that needed it the absolute least of any game ever besides maybe Tetris

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I, Butthole posted:

Can I just make a note how loving rad it is that the only game I've bought in 2015 to have a full colour manual is Earth fuckin' Defense Force 4.1?

like, the game that needed it the absolute least of any game ever besides maybe Tetris

I know right? I can't believe I forgot to gush about that.

Also it shows a bunch of vehicle stats so you know what you have to look forward to as Air raider :colbert:

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Played 2025 as Fencer, and loved it. But for some reason, I'm finding myself feeling the Air Raider in this version. Being able to call in a tank/mech and go to town is just fun. Only thing is, at the moment, I have to play pretty conservative to survive on Hard. And anything above that... yeah, not happening.

But the Depth Crawler walks on walls, dudes. IT WALKS ON WALLS!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Needs More Jazz posted:

Played 2025 as Fencer, and loved it. But for some reason, I'm finding myself feeling the Air Raider in this version. Being able to call in a tank/mech and go to town is just fun. Only thing is, at the moment, I have to play pretty conservative to survive on Hard. And anything above that... yeah, not happening.

But the Depth Crawler walks on walls, dudes. IT WALKS ON WALLS!

Fencer and Air Raider are exponentially more fun in multiplayer, I barely touched the multiplayer in the past and it was as clear as day this is true. Meanwhile soldier mans and wings lady play out much the same as solo.

If you got someone watching your back, then Fencer's miniguns controlling like a drunk brick is a lot more manageable when you have a bunch of drones or hornets flying around, or allowing you to run up and hammer the legs right off a hector while they blow up a UFO. Air raider can have some breathing room to shove more fun toys than focusing on a "kill everything in the level myself" loadout, etc.

I'm glad that for as plain classic soldier mans class is, he's super capable of dealing with literally everything in a practical manner instead of just being below average across the board like so many jack of all trades classes in games. Whenever I get around to taking a stab at casual mutliplayer between other distractions, it's always nice knowing even boring rear end soldier with rocket launcher and rifle is an important contribution to "I shoot down things in the sky so you can focus on gleefully crushing ants with your tank"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 10, 2015

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

I'm Frago Bren on PSN. I'm setting up a room to try the first mission on hard. I'm calling it All Bugs Must Die

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I went ahead with the physical EDF2 Vita release and the back cover looks like an old timey newspaper. Also the cover is reversible. Shows the three characters in a different group action pose on each side :)

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Internet Friend posted:

I really want to play Fencer but they just seem so bad compared to everyone else. Their melee is great but the big guns don't seem to do enough damage for how cumbersome they are to use. Mission 23 or so with all the Hectors seems impossible without guns from a higher difficulty.

Maybe it's just because I've only played as a fencer in EDF, but I find the guns work fine, you just need to get used to correcting recoil 24/7. Playing on hard, I change weapons for specific enemies, like dual wield hand cannons for hectors and mortars for the smaller things. I also have a boost weapon and javelin catapult to boost cancel. It outruns everything so I'm usually the one to revive others and collect items

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I, Butthole posted:

This is indeed rad, but did anyone else get a manual with a very powerful....factory? paper? smell to it? I can smell my manual from a few feet away, it's crazy.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Maybe I should just stick to Wing Diver. Bad things keep happening to me when I try other classes.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

Speaking as a Fencer I'd recommend to tough it out. I was playing as a primarily fire support Fencer tonight with some goons. With the wing divers to bunch them up I could hang back and lob mortars/missile everywhere without worry. Don't forget dash/shield cancel as well.

Big thing to remember with hectors is range. Fencers have soooo many toys capable of out-ranging them. There is no reason to ever get inside their firing range unless you absolutely have to. 2 moderately fast cannons and you can keep a Hector staggered all day long.

Oh, and you can zoom around punching ants with a fully automatic giant metal fist. Probably should have lead with this one, all you really need to know about how fun the Fencer loadout can get.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

HolyKrap posted:

Maybe it's just because I've only played as a fencer in EDF, but I find the guns work fine, you just need to get used to correcting recoil 24/7. Playing on hard, I change weapons for specific enemies, like dual wield hand cannons for hectors and mortars for the smaller things. I also have a boost weapon and javelin catapult to boost cancel. It outruns everything so I'm usually the one to revive others and collect items

Yes, I have a hard time playing anything other than Fencer thanks to dash cancelling. I'm not sure anything in the game is faster. I kind of want to play a different class in 4.1 but I always come back to Fencer.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm gonna kick off a EDF PS4 goon group, if anyone wants in - hit me up via D43M0N_au_

Community is up, The GDF Deploys.

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 10, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
A squad of wing divers in an underground level is basically that scene from 2001 with a chorus of anime girls screaming EDF in the background.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How in the world did this game get a Mature rating from the ESRB?

Its giant insects and robots and UFOs getting blasted, practically what every kid sees on Saturday Morning cartoons...

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Someone who has the game now create a PSN community! I would but I'm not on enough to approve joins.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Ultimate Mango posted:

How in the world did this game get a Mature rating from the ESRB?

Its giant insects and robots and UFOs getting blasted, practically what every kid sees on Saturday Morning cartoons...

Language probably, EDF soldiers swear.

Deviant posted:

Someone who has the game now create a PSN community! I would but I'm not on enough to approve joins.

I'll create one tonight. I've been thinking of either:

Earth Dragoon Force
Goon Corps, 9th Battalion

but I'm open to suggestions.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Obsurveyor posted:

I'll create one tonight. I've been thinking of either:

Earth Dragoon Force
Goon Corps, 9th Battalion

but I'm open to suggestions.

"Earth Defense Farce"
"GDF! GDF!"
"The GDF Deploys!"

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Deviant posted:

I've made The GDF Deploys, it's an open group right now

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

I've made The GDF Deploys, it's an open group right now

Oh cool, totally missed your post! I guess I would have figured it out when I tried to create the community. :) Added you on PSN.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Obsurveyor posted:

Oh cool, totally missed your post! I guess I would have figured it out when I tried to create the community. :) Added you on PSN.

Haha all good! Sent you an invite to it as well.I've set the time to US Pacific because I assume that's cool for most - I'm in GMT+10 but have like three weeks of holidays up soon so I'll be playing pretty constantly!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah, I don't if they added that or not, but I don't remember the soldiers calling the bugs "You fuckers!" before.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Yeah, I don't if they added that or not, but I don't remember the soldiers calling the bugs "You fuckers!" before.

I didn't remember that from 2025 on the PS3 either but I went and looked and that version has the M rating too. Maybe because of civilians getting bitten and all the blood spray that happens?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Obsurveyor posted:

I didn't remember that from 2025 on the PS3 either but I went and looked and that version has the M rating too. Maybe because of civilians getting bitten and all the blood spray that happens?

That's it. I looked it up on the ESRB site and it's the gallons of bug juice spraying everywhere. So, just the ESRB being weird.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

girth brooks part 2 posted:

I've never heard that in any EDF game at all, and haven't yet with the few hours I've put in.

Is there a way to change the audio commands on the touchpad quick select? I just want the entire song and "EDF!" chants.

I also love how this is a 1080p/60FPS remaster but they basically used the extra power to say "yeah let's chuck more bugs in" and frame-rate tanking is still as much a part of the experience as ever :allears:

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

Is there a way to change the audio commands on the touchpad quick select? I just want the entire song and "EDF!" chants.

It's the last option on the Game Settings selection from the preparation screen in online mode.

For some reason I really like that the gestures can't be interrupted by input, so you really have to commit to doing push-ups or a formal Japanese bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

For anyone not aware, there is no good way to search for a PSN Community, so you'll have to find someone already in it, then check their communities and join off them.