Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The House Armed Services Committee also released its report on the prisoner swap for Bergdahl today. Here are the key findings:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Jesus Christ. Why choose him? I wonder how loving mental reddit's serial forum will get this time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

The House Armed Services Committee also released its report on the prisoner swap for Bergdahl today. Here are the key findings:

Ugh great.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

SavageBastard posted:

Jeffrey Lord is on Diane Rehm right now likening pro-Trumpers with civil rights activists and I'm getting itchy.

Some say the moon is made of cheese and fascism is the new civil rights movement, others disagree. We'll have a spokesperson from each side on to duke it out after the break!

:cripes:

zoux posted:

I'm curious if the rest of the candidate pool is going to start walking back their repudiations of Trump's Muslim bullshit now that it's turned out to be massively popular in the base.

Well they're craven opportunists and Trump's positions are just the logical end point of GOP mainstream opinion so I don't see why not.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Joementum posted:

Does anyone believe for a second that if this swap hadn't happened, the narrative wouldn't be "OBUMMER LETS AMERICAN SUFFER AT HANDS OF TALIBAN -- IMPEACH!"?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Crain posted:

Jesus Christ. Why choose him? I wonder how loving mental reddit's serial forum will get this time.

It's really good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Speaking of Cruz v Rubio, where gently caress is Rubio putting his money? He's only held 14 Iowa events in the last two months?

Also, we're gonna have to put up with Cruz, Rubio, Paul and maybe Trump for the next who knows how many election cycles. Who else is gonna be a perennial candidate, do y'all think, I doubt Jeb comes back for more after this debacle.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Does anyone believe for a second that if this swap hadn't happened, the narrative wouldn't be "OBUMMER LETS AMERICAN SUFFER AT HANDS OF TALIBAN -- IMPEACH!"?

That's exactly what the narrative was up until it was announced Obama was moving to get him back. Then the right wing tried their best to whitewash their Twitter feeds and switched to the current script.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Joementum posted:

4 tragic errors by Obummer. Just like Benghazi.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Some say the moon is made of cheese and fascism is the new civil rights movement, others disagree. We'll have a spokesperson from each side on to duke it out after the break!

:cripes:

Well they're craven opportunists and Trump's positions are just the logical end point of GOP mainstream opinion so I don't see why not.

In their defense, he's going a good job articulating a different view and is largely accurate in his description of various circumstances. He just goes off the rails here and there but he's expressing widely held views among conservatives such as "Democrats divide people by race, that's what the illegal immigration debate is all about." It's a useful voice to have and it's encouraging some amazing call-ins.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Well, the Dissenting Views section is fun.

Adam Smith and Jackie Speier posted:

This report is an unbalanced, partisan, and needless attempt to justify a predetermined position regarding the transfer of five Guantanamo detainees in exchange for the release of Sergeant Bowe Bergdahl from enemy captivity.

Much of our disappointment with the report derives from the highly exclusive manner in which it was generated. The minority was excluded from the majority’s closed process for: analyzing and distilling the collected information, crafting findings and conclusions, and drafting the report. In fact, despite months of prodding by the minority, the majority failed to provide a draft of the report to the minority until 5:15 pm on Monday, November 23, 2015. (The underlying investigation was initiated by Chairman McKeon nearly a year-and-a-half prior, on July 17, 2014.) We were then provided two weeks, which included the Thanksgiving holiday period, to review the majority’s draft report and to make comment. All the while, the majority was making substantial edits to that draft. The majority did not provide a final draft of the report to the minority until 10:27 am on Wednesday, December 9, 2015.

We are disappointed that the majority needlessly allocated tremendous amounts of time and taxpayer resources to generate a report that essentially found what the supporters of H. Res. 644 already passed in 2014 with little evidence to support it.

We consider this report to be an expression of shrill demagoguery, contrary to the interests of national security, and beneath the dignity of the House Armed Services Committee.

For all of the preceding reasons, we dissent.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Was the prisoner swap good, or was it bad?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So if Trump actually started spending money what would that mean for the race because right now he commands a lead with spending almost nothing.

Attack ads would help him?

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

left without further comment

I'd like to see one comparing total airtime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

delfin posted:

Well, the Dissenting Views section is fun.

Is this legit or is this just standard party bickering?

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Given how Frank Luntz's gaggle of carnies kept increasingly supporting Trump the more they talked about the negative things he's said and other candidates have said about him, he should just buy attack ads on himself to boost his poll numbers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

The Kingfish posted:

I'd like to see one comparing total airtime.

It would just be a single bar graph.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Swan Oat posted:

Is this a serious question?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

You sure that's not an infowars article?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ds and Rs not getting along on Capitol Hill.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Is this legit or is this just standard party bickering?

Both!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

I dunno why the temporary ascendance of Cruz is now a mortal lock for the nom, or are we always going to talk about how the second place guy is juuuust about to sweep in and end Trump?

i imagine there are lots of delegates who will refuse to vote for Trump no matter how many rounds voting goes, who will support Cruz instead

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

i imagine there are lots of delegates who will refuse to vote for Trump no matter how many rounds voting goes, who will support Cruz instead

Replace Romney with FOTM from 2012.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Swan Oat posted:

Depends if you're asking Republicans, GIP or normal people

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

Depends if you're asking Republicans, GIP or normal people

Obama did a thing so I don't even have to guess what republicans think about that thing, but what's GIP and normal people think.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Crain posted:

That's exactly what the narrative was up until it was announced Obama was moving to get him back. Then the right wing tried their best to whitewash their Twitter feeds and switched to the current script.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

We desperately need a coherent, organizing oppositional force, active and working in those communities to channel their anger into a movement of political empowerment and commitment to process so that you get negotiating, egalitarianism, compromise, and ready acceptance of disappointing electoral and procedural outcomes as norms. It doesn't need to be the democrats any more than BLM or the Rainbow Coalition are in poor black communities. But we need someone in there and organizing to get them to push for change other than the kind Trump and Pence and Arpaio are offering. Otherwise this is just going to fester, and turn into something even darker like the alt right, eventually they will win.

You are seeing some efforts at organizing this demographic, centered around specific issues. The work done around the Keyston pipeline for example

quote:

Terry Van Housen had a question. What he wanted to know from the 30 or so other Nebraska farmers and ranchers gathered in February at the York Community Center was this: What do you do with 10,000 dead cows?

quote:

Among the farmers in the York Community Center was a petite, progressive organizer with close-cropped hair named Jane Kleeb (pronounced Klehb). She was the reason they were there. The fight over the Keystone XL has largely been portrayed as one about climate change, in which environmental groups like the National Wildlife Federation and 350.org are pitted against the fossil-fuel industry. But what has kept the pipeline out of the ground so far, more than anything, has been Kleeb’s ability to convince mostly­ conservative farmers and ranchers that they are the ones being asked to bear all the risk of Canada’s energy expansion. If something goes wrong, she says, they’re the ones who are going to suffer. Kleeb didn’t need to persuade all of the people in the room to be angry — many of the state’s landowners are plenty wary of what they see as the pipeline’s risks — but she has organized them to take on Trans­Canada and more or less their state’s entire political power structure. Days earlier, thanks to her efforts, a state district court had thrown the construction into limbo.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/18/magazine/jane-kleeb-vs-the-keystone-pipeline.html?_r=0

And things like Humboldt county marijuana farmers in Northern California organizing for marijuana legalization. But there doesn't seem to be an effective nationwide organizing effort on behalf of low income whites, at least one that speaks to their specific concerns. Time and adversity might change that though, despite the astonishing efficacy of Billionaire money flowing into local and state issues.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
The RNC will simply never let Trump win, including the possibility of brokered convention shenanigans and anything in their wheelhouse.

He's not going to win the nomination.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

mcmagic posted:

Is this a serious question?

Yes? I don't know very much about the Taliban!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheDisreputableDog posted:

The RNC will simply never let Trump win, including the possibility of brokered convention shenanigans and anything in their wheelhouse.

If he wins enough primaries to win, he's going to win. the RNC has no real power.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He is and you're gonna have to vote for him.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You know if the GOP really wanted Trump to go away, they'd beg Obama to give him a big ol' hug.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nachos posted:

It's amazing to watch pundits explain away Trump as someone who's figured out how to capture all those frustrated voters in the Republican Party. Without actually going the next step and analyzing what they are frustrated about. Obviously it's because they can't just call out an entire political base on tv as racists, but it's entertaining in a somewhat terrifying way to watch them dance around the real reason people like trump.

Peggy Noonan on CBS This Morning pretty much said that he had views that were worth listening to.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

If this happened the Bundy standoff will look like a calm, rational discussion by contrast.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I can almost understand the spiteful contrarianism among Trump supporters, but actually justifying mocking a disabled person just makes you an utter rear end in a top hat, full-stop.

These people just don't seem to care at all about how they're perceived anymore and are proudly airing their most despicable opinions out of sheer anger and frustration.

Their grandkids probably don't call them anymore due to the outbursts and racial slurs at Thanksgiving.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

mcmagic posted:

If he wins enough primaries to win, he's going to win. the RNC has no real power.

However I don't doubt they'll go to obscene depths to try and negate that at the convention. However however: that'll just feed the beast more and cement a split base.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Peggy Noonan on CBS This Morning pretty much said that he had views that were worth listening to.

Luckily Peggy Noonan doesn't have views that are worth listening too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

In my view, the long term strategy for working class organizing has to start with electable Dems who will maintain a more liberal NLRB, and an introduction of labor struggle into the public consciousness, some better way to propagandize. And I think a healthy dose of denigrating robber barons like Jobs could help undermine the worship of business leaders.

Fun Fact: The Wizard of Oz was supposedly an attempt at creating a Progressive moral tale, with the Bad Witches = Corporate Barons, Emerald City = Capitalism, The Golden Road and the Wizard of Oz (i.e. Ounces) being self explanatory.

That didn't really take I suppose.

zoux posted:

Luckily Peggy Noonan doesn't have views that are worth listening too.

I was just wondering why the hell she was on the TV most of the time. Her justifiying Trump (in this sort of repulsive, let's be reasonable tone) just made me reach for the mute button.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

in this sort of repulsive, let's be reasonable tone

Ah, I see you've already grasped the essences of Peggy Noonan.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Obama did a thing so I don't even have to guess what republicans think about that thing, but what's GIP and normal people think.

It was a good swap, imo. This report might as well have came from the Benghazi committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Personally I think the continual use of 'Taliban Five' tips their hand, they want to inflame the base yet again.

• Locked thread