Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also just a reminder that today was oral arguments in (presumably) the final hearing on Fisher v. UT-Austin. I found out through reading a New York Times story that she is from Sugar Land, which explains everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

They're not asking for permission, so if it gets cancelled it will be day-of. However, I could also see them getting a lot of volunteer shooters and too few volunteer bleeders.

That mock immigrant round up got cut off didn't it?

Anyway a fake shooting in the current climate is such a massive public safety risk, I don't see how the admin doesn't find some way to preempt it. A cancellation is probably better for them anyway, get Ted Cruz tweeting about ivory tower elitist college liberals trampling 1st amendment rights.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

Statesman said a gun rights group just did a "mock mass shooting" at UT. I guess this is to go along with their terrible idea from last year of a "mock" illegal immigrant round-up.

I wonder if they'll use a sniper.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Also just a reminder that today was oral arguments in (presumably) the final hearing on Fisher v. UT-Austin. I found out through reading a New York Times story that she is from Sugar Land, which explains everything.

Speaking as someone from Sugar Land, yes.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

If anyone goes, bring a piece of cardboard that's not gun shaped but in the hopes they "shoot" you and you can explain how they just murdered an innocent bystanders and ruined two lives.

Genius

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Here's an interesting breakdown of the how if the Republicans get their way and remove non-voters from the population counts for the purposes of making districts, it could result in some safe Republican districts going away.

quote:

Redrawing the district to equalize eligible voters would be hard, however, because the district would need to gain 7,290 adult citizens (a citizen voting-age population gain of 6.8 percent), a task made more difficult by the fact that all of the surrounding districts are also underpopulated and one — District 103 — is a Latino majority district protected by the Voting Rights Act.

At this point the Republicans are so damned far ahead in Texas that their attempts to disenfranchise non-Republicans can do more harm than good to them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wouldn't gently caress around with a bunch of gun rights nuts feeling their oats.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What are they gonna do, shoot me?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Speaking of guns:

quote:

Why I Caved on Guns When I Ran for Governor of Texas

I was part of the reason we can't make progress on the issue. And I regret it every day.

by Wendy Davis

:stare:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/12/wendy-davis-open-carry-gun-rights-texas-213423

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

computer parts posted:

I wonder if they'll use a sniper.

:drat:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So is this brave or opportunistic?

At least she didn't try to blame her gun stance on her loss. That is better explained by the sentence "I was fundraising in Colorado when I got the call..."

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 9, 2015

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Speaking as someone from Sugar Land, yes.

I was going to defend Sugar Land till I saw she went to my high school. God drat it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Does anyone in this thread actually like Texas?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

oldpainless posted:

I like Texas, I just don't like Texans.

Here's the university's response to the Pistol Passion Play Posse

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Paxton is being a poo poo again.

quote:

Reversing course yet again, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton returned to federal court Wednesday to seek an emergency order blocking nine Syrian refugees from arriving in Houston Thursday.

Paxton, who had abandoned a similar request last Friday, said new information from U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Austin, indicated that “terrorist organizations have infiltrated the very refugee program that is central to the dispute before this court.”

Paxton cited speeches Monday and Tuesday in which McCaul, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, called for improved screening of refugees from Syria and Iraq because Islamic State terrorists have said they want to “exploit the refugee process to infiltrate the West.”

Paxton asked U.S. District Judge David Godbey to issue a temporary restraining order barring the latest round of refugees from arriving Thursday in Houston — a single 26-year-old Syrian woman and a family of two parents and six children, ages 6 to 15.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

I like Texas, I just don't like Texans.

Here's the university's response to the Pistol Passion Play Posse

I was going to say I like some Texans, but thinking about it, all the ones I like were raised outside Texas.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

oldpainless posted:

I like Texas weather right now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I like that the Texas Education Certification Board has agreements with other states so that I can get the gently caress out and teach in a place like Minnesota instead

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

I like that the Texas Education Certification Board has agreements with other states so that I can get the gently caress out and teach in a place like Minnesota instead

Teaching is bad everywhere.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

Yeah Minnesota's a big step up

http://www.kare11.com/story/news/education/2015/12/09/st-paul-teachers-threaten-to-strike-over-violence/77028052/

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It's less the state of teaching and more the state of everything else in the state. I just want to go somewhere where the leaders are at least competent enough to accept the medicaid expansion. I just renewed my health insurance and I'm getting loving gouged because of Perry and Abbot.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 10, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
^ Yeah, that.

oldpainless posted:

I get questions like that from people when I travel.

About Texans? My answer is that most things about Texans you've read are true, but this doesn't come through in everyday life so much because most people just mind their own business and go about their day like anywhere else.

Like the person driving next to you on the highway might be anticipating the imminent Rapture and destruction of all nonbelievers. But you'd never know it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Scalia's got some hot takes on the UT case

quote:

There are those who contend that it does not benefit African Americans to get them into the University of Texas, where they do not do well, as opposed to having them go to a less-advanced school, a slower-track school where they do well. One of the briefs pointed out that most of the black scientists in this country don't come from schools like the University of Texas. They come from lesser schools where they do not feel that they're being pushed ahead in classes that are too fast for them.

I'm just not impressed by the fact the University of Texas may have fewer [blacks]. Maybe it ought to have fewer. I don't think it stands to reason that it's a good thing for the University of Texas to admit as many blacks as possible.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/12/justice-scalia-suggests-blacks-belong-slower-colleges-fisher-university-texas

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Indeed, the negroid mind can only move so fast after all, now let me show you some materials about the science of Phrenology!

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
http://www.khou.com/story/news/politics/2015/12/08/dead-heat-mayors-race-new-poll-shows-turner-king-tied/77014288/

New poll has Turner and King in a dead heat in Houston, at 38%.

Please, Houston, I love you. Don't gently caress this one up.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bushiz posted:

http://www.khou.com/story/news/politics/2015/12/08/dead-heat-mayors-race-new-poll-shows-turner-king-tied/77014288/

New poll has Turner and King in a dead heat in Houston, at 38%.

Please, Houston, I love you. Don't gently caress this one up.

Oh poo poo. I assumed that Turner's strong lead in last months election would carry on to the runoff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The weirdest part: Chris Bell endorsed Bill King.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The UT working group released its recommendations for campus carry restrictions. It's a lot more generous to CHL than I thought it would be.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Austin is great. The rest of Texas loving sucks. I bring a puke bag with me every time I drive to Houston or Dallas.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Austin traffic is the loving shits at all times of day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not too bad if you can stay off the highways.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
loving Plano

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/12/texans-begin-nightly-smashing-windows-of-muslim-family-only-six-weeks-after-they-move-in/

quote:

A Muslim family in Plano, Texas fear that they may have been targeted with a hate crime after rocks smashed through their windows at least two times in the last week.

The family told KTVT that they moved to Plano six weeks ago, and that they believe that the people throwing the rocks may be sending a message about their religion.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I like how all of these Islamophobia incidents are happening in suburbs. Irving, Plano, Pflugerville..

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

The UT working group released its recommendations for campus carry restrictions. It's a lot more generous to CHL than I thought it would be.

Well, you have to be 21 to get a CHL, so that automatically knocks out the vast majority of the student body.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

who the gently caress is both 21 and lives in on-campus housing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

blue squares posted:

who the gently caress is both 21 and lives in on-campus housing?

This is why I thought the fight over it was stupid as hell. It was actually a proxy fight on the question "are guns good or bad" and the actual impact is going to be more or less nil.

lol Fred Cantu

zoux fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 10, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

This is why I thought the fight over it was stupid as hell. It was actually a proxy fight on the question "are guns good or bad" and the actual impact is going to be more or less nil.

lol Fred Cantu

Ugh Heather Way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Ugh Heather Way.

Whozat?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Whozat?

UT law professor, she runs their community development clinic. I'm sure she does good work but most community development people rub me the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol Fred Cantu

He would actually be a decent representative though